main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something I've noticed about headers (and other IGNboard changes)...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I tend to use headers in some of my posts and all, and I noticed today that how the "[ /hr ]" code seems not to be used, as it's being displayed after the header line itself. I'm assuming that there has been another slight change to the Snowboard source? ~ Or, was it always this way and I never ever noticed before...?

---
    Here's an example..

Oh and by the by, I edited the title to suit the new way this could turn. :)

2. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I noticed this change yesterday also (although that's a "horizontal rule", not a "header" :) ).

I've sent a note to zerosleep to see if he was tinkering with the code again, but he hasn't responded yet.

Has anyone else noticed any other changes?

Vertical

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Yeah, there's been a little change in the code. Just take out the " / " and it'll work.

So instead of {hr} {/hr} it's just {hr} {hr}

But with [ ]s istead of { }s, obviously. :p

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Also, has anyone else noted that the icons all appear to be the same size now, no matter what the previous dimensions were? I didn't know if that was my eyes playing a trick on me or my resolution being switched on me, but a few (such as Darth_Dagsy's icon) seem to be more bloated, lengthened out.

And maybe it's just me again, but the IGNboards version number seems to have gotten a small incriment up ;)

Oh and by the by, what does the Debug feature do...? Clean a thread of all code errors...? Because if so, it didn't wipe out the {/hr} (thanks, GriffZ :p)...

5. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Actually, you now only need one {hr} and it will work.

What 'debug' feature are you talking about?

Vertical

6. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2000
    Click on the number after the copyright notice down there at the right. It just shows some debugging info at the bottom of the page.

7. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Yeah, I learned now ;)
    And the "Debug" Feature is to the bottom right of the table that the board's primary code rests in, all the way to the right, next to the IGNBoards Version/Info.

It says this on mine: 0.141 ~ and here's a link. I'm assuming it's a debug feature since the last of the line reads "debug=true".

--edit: It's constantly changing, too :p

8. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    The number keeps changing everytime the page is loaded...no idea what it means.

9. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Hmm... the technicalities of this board... ;)
    But, does the "Debug" feature actually do anything? Or is this a feature to send programming information back to IGNboards? Or does anyone actually know? :confused: ;)

10. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    Click on it, then scroll to the very bottom of the page (past the TF.N headlines). It looks like it's just a timing table or something.

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I always assumed that number somehow reflected how long it took the server to satisfy your request to post/view a thread/view a forum...

Vertical

12. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    GetSystem.1 0.0156250ms ~ time it takes to load the IGNboards Mainframe
    UserLogin_part1.1 0.0000000ms
    ~ time it takes to load the login information, your username, password, cookies, etc.
    UserLogin.2 0.0156250ms
    GetMessages.1 0.0468750ms
    ~ time it takes to load the message body/source
    DisplayPageNavigation.1 0.0000000ms
    ~ time it takes to load the Page Numbers, Links up top, board stuff, etc.
    loop: grs1.1 0.1093750ms
    ~ No clue
    GetImageIcon.1 0.0000000ms
    ~ These are the loading times for each user icon (not emoticons, etc) on a thread when viewing
    GetImageIcon.2 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.3 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.4 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.5 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.6 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.7 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.8 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.9 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.10 0.0000000ms
    DisplayPageNavigation.2 0.0000000ms
    ~ time it takes to load the bottom page Navigation stuff
    Total: 0.1875
    ~ Total of the previous

I'm just going to assume that it's a timing thing, reports back to something (a server, a log file, something) and enters information for system specs...

Vertical ~ That's what I have, too. I've taken notice that sometimes when the server is lagging that the number is larger.

--edit: I've figured out what those numbers stand for and the messages along with them, so I put their meanings up top. I should be right, since I ignored the posts after the time I posted this.

13. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Yes, that's the total mseconds it's taken the server to satisfy all the requests the page you're loading has.

The slower the response, the higher that number (obviously).

Vertical

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Heh, I guess we're thinking on the same page, Vertical. Umm.. but about the icons.. has anyone else felt that way..? About some seeming stretched?

15. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Some seem to be stretched. I've noticed that when I log on to the JC the banner at the top changes. It's really weird. It starts out with Bultar Swan and the Great Hall, then it changes to the the main council chamber with JEDI COUNCIL and TF.N. It also shows a lot of other Jedi.

16. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    That's just a result of the background image for that table cell loading before the image that's actually IN that cell. The reason being, there are members who have larger, higher resolution monitors than others, and the banner at the top is a fixed width. If their resolution extends beyond that width, the background pattern of that cell (which is the image you first see flash there) will fill in. It's been like that for a good long while now.

Vertical

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

Neat!

GetSystem.1 0.0000000ms
    UserLogin_part1.1 0.0000000ms
    UserLogin.2 0.0312500ms
    GetMessages.1 0.0468750ms
    DisplayPageNavigation.1 0.0000000ms
    loop: grs1.1 0.1406250ms
    GetImageIcon.1 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.2 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.3 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.4 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.5 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.6 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.7 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.8 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.9 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.10 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.11 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.12 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.13 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.14 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.15 0.0000000ms
    GetImageIcon.16 0.0000000ms
    DisplayPageNavigation.2 0.0000000ms
    Total: 0.2188

18. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I normally don't pay any attention to small things like that. What is the image size set to? What's the highest resolution that the images can support?

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    All of the image's dimensions can be found here, in my Board Customization FAQ... but the length for the main banner image up top is 764 pixels long, and the background images can either extend further or are just tiled, depending on how they're made (in this case, they're tiled).

20. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, the images can support *any* size, really, but you'll see a 'tiling' effect (you'll see the bg image repeat) if you go beyond something like 1500 pixels.

As for the banner size itself... I can't recall off the top of my head... either ~700 or ~900 pixels wide. I think it's 924, or something random like that. Maybe 724.

I can't recall right now.

EDIT: See previous post - 764.

Vertical

21. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I was just told that if an image was longer than 724 (the top ones, at least), the loading times are too long for the masses if the files aren't cached. So therefore, I'm guessing the general reason for that length is to show the images off proudly and quickly :D

And if you've ever edited the other image sizes and put them in a sample board script, (such as the height on the banners, the curves dimensions or the sidebar) entire board looks awkward. Of course, you could go and edit the table's dimensions and all.. but who wants to spend time doing that? ;)

22. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the info. I could always use that information for starting a FanForce page. I hope we can get our FanForce up and running. I'm in Myrtle Beach and the closest FF is in Charleston. They post on their board every now and then. I don't think there are many people in my area that are registered with the JC.

23. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    No problem. And I compared some icons from previous screenshots I've taken and it does appear there has been some alteration to widths.. maybe only 2 pixels, I don't know.

So, should I lock this now, or should it be allowed for other discussion of "future" board updates..? :confused:

24. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Leave it open in case there are some other changes which we haven't stumbled upon yet.

Vertical

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Hmm... the icons shouldn't change size since I have to define what size they are when I create the board entries.

As for the debugging link, it's so that we can moitor what is the cause of board slow-downs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.