main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something that has been bothering me

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by vikingjedi1, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Why didnt the Jedi go back and free Anakins mother from slavery after they left? Basically because they just left her there she was killed.

2. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    Do you think the Jedi would waste their time on one little slave when they have the Trade Federation to take care of?

3. vikingjedi1

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes I do. At least I would hope they would. This is the one thing that doesnt fit in with the concept of the Jedi. I just dont think they would have left her behind and not have at least come back and freed her.

4. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    We'll since Tatooine isn't in the Republic then you can have slaves. There is no law against it.

5. vikingjedi1

Nov 5, 2001
    I was reading another thread and somebody brought up the point of why didnt Queen Amidala buy Anakin's mother's freedom?

The Jedi and Amidala did nothing. It doesnt make any sense.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Good point and yet another missed opportunity to portray the Jedi as something more than clueless morons.

7. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    But they were clueless morons, generally.

~ DS5

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Then why shouldn't we celebrate their passing in Episode 3? Why should we want Luke to fulfill his destiny in ROTJ?

If we saw them as heroes who then fell victim to the Sith and their own success, it would be more tragic. Unfortunately, Lucas gave us the downhill slide from the get go instead of the peak, then the fall.

9. wpscott

wpscott Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    I always thought that Naboo should have paid for her to be set free in grattitude if Anakin basically winning the battle for them.

10. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    What really bugs me is the indifference that the current Queen and Sio Bible show to Anakin in AOTC. He was the big war hero and they don't even show the slightest recognition. I hope Naboo is the first to be crushed under Vader's boot for their insolence.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

11. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    Then why shouldn't we celebrate their passing in Episode 3? Why should we want Luke to fulfill his destiny in ROTJ?

Well, the alternative wasn't particularly good, now was it? Try find some Alderaanians that disagree with that (or any Alderaanians, for that matter).

I was reading another thread and somebody brought up the point of why didnt Queen Amidala buy Anakin's mother's freedom?

Queen Amidala reaches in her pocket, and buys Schmi's freedom. As Anakin isn't allowed to visit her (no attachment), she decides opening a TPM-memorabilia shop in Mos Espa. There she meets Clieg Lars who is looking for a droid that speaks Bocce, which she happens to have in store. From one thing comes another, they marry, she picks up some mushrooms, and the Mushroom Protection Squad arrests her and tortures her.

Hm, doesn't seem to make that much difference, does it?

Alternate plot. Amidala buys her and gives her a job as starship cleaning lady. Unfortunately, Zam Wessel had placed a thermal detonator in her vacuum cleaner (damn vacuum gets everywhere!), blasting poor Schmi (not to mention the vacuum cleaner, or Cordé, come to think of it) in a million pieces. Anakin blames the producers of the vacuum cleaner ("their stuff is faulty - they're as clumsy as they are stupid!"), and slaughters everyone that works in the productionline of their plant.

Hm, again, doesn't change a thing. There seems to be some strange plot device that kills off Schmi no matter what. Curious.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    That the Jedi did nothing is evidence of their corruption.

I didn't even think about the queen buying her freedom. I guess the queen had other things on her mind, like the welfare of her whole planet.

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The Jedi have no jourisdiction on Tattoine, as explained in the film.

Qui-Gon did try to buy Shmi from Watto with the money he got from Sebulba for Anakin's pod racer, but Watto was so angry at him, he "wouldn't have it".

It wasn't a matter of going to get more money, Watto simply refused to sell her, and Qui-Gon didn't have the authority to free her forcefully.

14. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    That the Jedi did nothing is evidence of their corruption.

I wonder, there aren't really that many Jedi, are there? Ten thousand or so? In a galaxy of about ten thousand systems (I guess), that would mean an average of one Jedi for every planet. Now imagine a Jedi that gets lost and settles on Earth. Don't you think he would have one helluva time aiding every single individual that has problems on this world? Famine, disease, slavery (it still exists in some regions and countries, like Sudan), injustice, I wouldn't say we have shortage of it, unfortunately. Would be really hard for helping everyone. Assuming he doesn't start by defending his "Jedi Order"-policies on this forum in the first place, he starts trying to buy a slave who has to serve customers in a Sudanese restaurant. Wouldn't that seem hypocritical to many North-Koreans who are starving under a vicious regime, where some "aggressive negotiations" with their leader could do miracles?

The point I'm trying to raise, is that it would be just as hypocritical to help someone in need just because a family member happens to be a Jedi. While just around the corner, anonymous dancer #50634 gets to meet the other digested inhabitants of Jabba's Rancor. The story of SW focusses on Anakin Skywalker, but that doesn't mean the Jedi have to focus some of their efforts on preserving his loved ones which he shouldn't have in the first place (according to their teachings). In a large galaxy with a limited amount of Jedi, priorities have to be made. That's at least some of the stuff I got out of Yoda's speech in ESB.

15. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I think Amidala should have bought Shmi from Watto. The queen of a whole planet would certainly have the money to buy one slave, and perhaps double/triple the price so that Watto would be willing to part with Shmi (especially since he had debts after the podrace and all). And if not money (after all Watto doesn't like "republic credits") why not give him the SW galaxy's equivalent of gold or precious gems, something he would definitely accept. Certainly, for the price of just one slave, it would be a good bargain for Watto. And a great way for Amidala to repay Anakin for the good he's done, I bet the people of Naboo would agree to this.

Instead, Padme somehow forgot all about the little boy who did nothing less than saved her planet. Ten years, and she did nothing. Amazing. The Jedi being indifferent is one thing, Padme, whose planet and people Anakin saved, being indifferent is just....words fail me.

Though the jedi not caring about Shmi is dumb too. They know this kid is worried about his mom (Yoda etc said this when they tested him). Freeing Shmi and placing her somewhere safe would ease any of Anakin's worries. This ain't just some kid here, this is the Chosen One, sired by the holy microbes (otherwise known as midwhattheirname). Wouldn't they want to ensure that the Chosen One not fall into the dark side by worrying and fearing about his mom? Fear after all is the path to the darkside, blah blah.

But nooo...the Jedi just can't be bothered.

16. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Shmi: Son, my place is here. My future is here.

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Why didnt the Jedi go back and free Anakins mother from slavery after they left?

With what? Monopoly money? The Republic didn't exist on Tatooine, the Jedi served the Republic.

Basically because they just left her there she was killed.

No, she was freed from slavery when Cliegg bought her and married her. She wasn't killed until ten years later.

18. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    With what? Monopoly money?

1--Currency exchange, hmmm? I bet smugglers must have Republic clients too, surely there's some form of unoffical republic/non-republic currency exchange rate.

2--Look at my post, where I mentioned the possibility of some sort of gold or precious gems equivalent, something that can be used and accepted by Watto. And hey, why not donate a bloody ship to Watto (he would surely accept a Naboo fighter in good condition, with some free topedoes thrown in :D), surely the mother of the planet's saviour is worth this? Or are the Naboo a bunch of heartless, selfish, ungrateful jerks?

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Repost from my post in the Sanctuary:

I still say this plot point is so major there is NO WAY that Lucas overlooked it. I'm betting it will be addressed in Ep 3. I am supposing that it will be something that Anakin finds out and for some reason blames the Jedi/Obi-Wan.

20. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    Or are the Naboo a bunch of heartless, selfish, ungrateful jerks?

Well Palpatine is from Naboo and Chancellor by the end of TPM...perhaps he made sure they didn't free his mother so he could be the parental figure to Anakin? *shrug*

21. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Well Palpatine is from Naboo and Chancellor by the end of TPM...perhaps he made sure they didn't free his mother so he could be the parental figure to Anakin?

Padme has shown in TPM that she can ignore Palpatine's advice. And aside from advice, I don't how else he could have stopped Padme from saving Shmi.

22. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    Well he is a Sith and manages to hide his identity from Yoda and the rest of the Jedi, I'm sure he could do a mind trick on whoever he liked, including Padme. I know Anakin says it wouldn't work on Padme in AOTC, but this is Sidious who can fool Yoda, I think he can fool Padme too.

23. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    I'm sure he could do a mind trick on whoever he liked, including Padme

Padme weak-minded??? Poor choice in men, maybe, but not weak-minded, certainly not on the same level as a stormtrooper.

And Yoda etc wasn't cheated by mindtricks, they couldn't "sense" Palpatine, that's all.

24. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    Well I think you underestimte Sidious' power, and he could easily put a mindtrick on Padme, remember at the time of TPM she was about 13-14. Just because a Jedi requires the victim to be weak minded, I don't think Sidious does. "You don't know the power of the Darkside, I must obey my master" <- thats coming from the chosen one!

25. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    remember at the time of TPM she was about 13

And in TPM she already showed she could defy Palpatine's advice if she wanted to. She left Coruscant even though the senator told her to stay. And she could still surprise Palaptine by her move to ally with the Gungans ("This is an unexpected move for her...") therefore, Palpatine is not the infallible omnipresent perfect villain guy who could have stopped Padme to free Shmi. If she wanted to do it, if the whole of Naboo wanted to do it, it could have been done.

Really, if Palpatine can convince/control everyone and anyone, he might as well just say "Worship me!" in the senate and have it over with.

[face_plain]

You don't know the power of the Darkside, I must obey my master"

I doubt he's talking about a mindtrick. Vader's reasons for joining the darkside/obeying Palpatine is to be dealt with in Ep.3 (and not to reveal a spoiler or anything, but from what I've heard so far, I'm not impressed).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.