main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something that I can't figure out.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Marna_Veign, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I can't think of anywhere else to ask this, so here goes.

What's the difference between a Round Robin in Fanfic and a Role Play in the RPF?

I've been around for a while, and that's been eating at my mind. So, is there a difference, or is it just the location that makes something a round robin vs a role play?

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I'd imagine that in role playing you're writing yourself as one of the characters, whereas in a fanfic round robin that isn't necessarily the case.

3. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    So, how do round robin's work? I know well how RPG's work, I practically live at the RPF.

4. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I believe that in a round-robin, you're allowed to utilize all characters in your response and move the plot around however you wanted. In RPGs, as you know, you have to tag someone to allow them to choose what their character wants to do.

So for instance, if you were writing a round-robin about Han, Leia, and Luke, you could write dialogue and actions for all three characters. In an RPG, you might just be playing Han, and would only be allowed to respond for him.

Imagine summarizing all the events that have happened in one of your RPGs. That summary would be more like a round-robin, because it tells the story and actions of all the characters, regardless of if they were your own or not. In an RPG, you're not allowed to do that.

5. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Ah. I think I'm starting to get it. Round robins are like when Ktala posts, how she always posts what everyone else did/said, then does her own reaction, only in the sum-up, it would be me playing everyone, rather than summing it up.

Am I close? That's at least how I see what you're saying.

6. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Yep. It's just like writing a story. In RPGs, you're contributing one piece of the pie with your character. In round-robins, you get to make the whole picture. :)

7. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Basically in a round robin, the person who is writing at the time has complete control over the characters and the situations. Then when his/her turn is up, somebody else takes up the story and continues with what was written before.

It can be an incredibly fun way to write a story, especially when you're not too concerned with maintaining tight continuity. In the early days of fanfic here at the JC, the Gonks and HoJos were well known for their hilarious round robin type stories.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    In the round robin, a real bird is used to determine the outcome. Hope that helps. :)

9. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    In the round robin, a real bird is used to determine the outcome. Hope that helps.

Note that when a real bird is unavailable, I've sometimes been forced to step in to determine the outcome. :)

10. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    I agree with you Herman. Although they are on reruns on cable now, The winslows on TGIF did this once for a holloween episode and it was funny.

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Don't sell yourself short, bud. A Raven is a real bird, too. An important bird with a glorious past and a bright future. :)

12. Marna_Veign

Jan 31, 2002
    Okay. I understand much better now. Thanks, everyone. :D

Now, I can go back to my home forum. (RPF) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.