main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something that strikes me as a little odd....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JediWarriorsSocks, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWarriorsSocks

JediWarriorsSocks Jedi Master star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    In Philip Wise's address to the Mod Squad, he made it fairly clear (At least between the lines) that the purpose of providing actual information was to shunt legal repercussions, have actual people to name, rather than "Well there's this guy called DarthEwok1138...I think he's Australian or something". This doesn't mean the JC is in trouble, it could be a pro-active step just in case someday LFL does fix its eye on TFN, to spread accountability.

Anyways, just a really simple question unrelated to most of the "drama" surrounding all this, the JCC's banner has changed...possibly because of the creator of the original has decided to call in their right to refuse to let TFN use it, as some kind of meek protest against Wise, the War in Iraq, or whatever's fashionable to be against this week, but that's really not the point.

It's been replaced by a banner, comprised mainly of a Dave Dorman artwork entitled (I believe) Toast!.
    Does it really seem wise, when facing legal issues...to use without permission a living artist's rendering? ?[face_plain] I'm not sure if TFN has a legal team or not, but using Dorman's art is about 100x as dangerous as using a screencap of Boba Fett...surely this is common sense?

I'd kinda suggest reverting to collages of screencaps and common net images, even though technically they're still copyrighted by LFL, at least you're not directly ripping off one of their artists without permission. I imagine fanart and literature forums should probably consider doing the same.

There's a thing called reasonable use of images, and a thing called scanning the poster LFL sells for $25 through its fanclub. One will get you sued, the other won't.

*slaps the TFN legal team*

Wise up!

edit: No, the point wasn't about "making wild accusations", the point was a *suggestion* that you reconsider the legal repercussions of using Dave Dorman artwork without permission, you're just asking for trouble.

2. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    Anyways, just a really simple question unrelated to most of the "drama" surrounding all this, the JCC's banner has changed...possibly because of the creator of the original has decided to call in their right to refuse to let TFN use it, as some kind of meek protest against Wise, the War in Iraq, or whatever's fashionable to be against this week.

It was changed because the YJCC banners are on a rotating basis for this round.

You might want to do a little research before making wild accusations. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.