main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Something that wasn't in 3 (that kind of drives me nuts)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AprilMayJune, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think Tarkin figured Obi-Wan probably couldn't have survived a life on the run, dodging persecution for the 20-ish years since ROTS.

I never had a problem with that-- but I did expect Yoda to be "presumed dead". Why on earth wouldn't they hunt for him- the most powerful Jedi- with all their resources?

In all fairness though, Sidious & Mas Amedda (SP?) wasn't convinced that Yoda was dead. I guess we're led to believe they hunted for him unsuccessfully for a time before declaring him "dead" as well.

CIS Droid and AprilMayJune like this.
  2. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    See, Yoda actually bothers me somewhat less because he IS at least supposed to be super old. I have to hope they at least looked for him for a while, but maybe I buy that after 5-10 years they figured Father Time took care of Yoda for them.

Just sitting back and presuming Obi-Wan is dead makes me insane, though, because even if we go with Guinness' age in the OT, he's STILL not that old. AND he's Obi-Wan: if Vader is going to be completely and insanely focused on murdering someone, he is going to be IT.

I remember this part of the story being intriguing to me even back when all we had was the OT, because they clearly had a pretty dense history with one another, so to me it stood to reason that Vader would have been looking for him and wouldn't have just presumed he died without reason. Now that we have the additional backstory of the PT it's crazy to me. Vader is a Sith, motivated by anger and rage and vengeance/a being of unremitting darkness, AND Obi-Wan is both a living, breathing reminder of everything Vader used to be/was "supposed" to be, AND he, y'know, kinda almost killed Vader last time they saw each other.

I just cannot buy Vader being like, "Meh, well, I mean, if he shows up here I guess I'll kill him, otherwise I'm not gonna sweat it."

Dandelo likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the sw story before ep 4 isn't over yet.

AprilMayJune likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    In "The Siege Of Lothal", Vader is surprised to find that Ahsoka is still alive.

VADER: "The apprentice lives."

And even Palpatine thinks that Obi-wan is dead.

SIDIOUS: "Lord Vader, have you dealt with the rebels in the Lothal system?"

VADER: "Yes, Master. They are broken."

SIDIOUS: "And yet I sense in you something more to your victory."

SIDIOUS: "I believe the apprentice of Anakin Skywalker lives and is in league with these Rebels."

SIDIOUS: "Are you certain?"

VADER: "It was her."

SIDIOUS: "This is an opportunity we cannot let pass. Skywalker's apprentice could lead us to other lost Jedi."

VADER: "Such as Kenobi."

SIDIOUS: "Perhaps, if he lives. Be patient, my old friend. For now, dispatch another Inquisitor to hunt them down."

VADER: "As you wish, my Master."

I would assume that Tarkin and Palpatine both assumed that all of the Jedi were gone, including Obi-wan. Killed one way or another. Tarkin himself had a hard time believing that Kanan and Ezra were Jedi.