main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Something to ponder about Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Iron Jedi, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron Jedi

Iron Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2013
    Well, I was thinking something the other day, and I want to get this down before I forget it. lol Think about Episode VII like this:

Why would the galaxy just let these rebels take over the Empire, and make the New Republic, when for about 40 years they were labeled terrorists, and traitors? After killing so many of it's citizens, how would Coruscaunt see this as anything but a hostile takeover? The Empire did after all, kinda slip in. There was no assault on Coruscaunt by Palpatine, save for the Jedi Temple, and even they were falsely labeled as traitors. So to the eyes of the Imperial citizens, the rebels ARE terrorists.

I see the galaxy in this state: Since the senate was disbanded in Episode IV, no one in the core systems wants to return. They are comfortable where they are, despite the new regime's claims of a more peaceful republic. There are still scattered remains of Stormtroopers, and Imperial officers who want to get back at them, big time. There is no leader to mobilize them, however so each skirmish is defeated. Also, the remaining Stormtroopers, and Imperial Officers are in fighting for power, so there is no real leadership.

And what of Leia, who killed Jabba the Hutt, the powerful of the Hutt gangsters. I would imagine, the Hutts would be mad as heck, and would fund an Imperial Rebellion if it meant capturing Leia dead or alive. To their eyes, they stole a criminal, who already owed Jabba and was way passed his payments. So Jabba was murdered for the cause of the rebellion, that ended up in a much bigger conflict that resulted in the Massacre of Endor, as you could have the Imperial factions calling it. I would bet Leia has to remain in hiding because of this, conducting New Republic meetings in secret.

I see this happening. A leader with enough charisma will mobilize the remaining Imperials, and would use them to launch a counter attack. Their first victory? The death of Han Solo. The death of such a prominant figure that founded the New Republic would rally the Imperial troops. and reignite their passions. I think Han is going to die in this, as Harrision Ford wanted this since Empire. It would give the Republic something to fight for, and band everyone together again. A LOT of fans would be mad, however it would make a pretty good reason for Imperials to have faith in themselves again.

Also, The Jedi. After years in hiding, why would force users suddenly come out of hiding, and follow Luke, who only recently discovered his own powers. In order to prevent all Jedi teaching from being lost, I can see Luke creating a sort of Light Side version of the rule of 2.

I don't know, I was at work, and these kinds of things flow through my head. What does everyoine think about this? What's everyone else's idea about the state of the galaxy in Episode VII? Just using the template of the books would be predictable in my opinion.

whostheBossk and Episode Swag like this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well EU aside, since the actors aged around 40 years, most likely the galaxy did as well. A lot of things happened off-screen.

4. Iron Jedi

Iron Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2013
    Ah, that was the missing element. But wouldn't there be enough of the Fleet to protect Coruscaunt from a take over by the Rebels? They were hit pretty hard on Endor, and what of the Senate? Would the systems return so easily after what Papatine did?

5. Iron Jedi

Iron Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2013
    I would love to see even if it is on screen briefly, how they took back Coruscaunt. That battle alone would be worth a movie. I know they did it in the X-Wing novels, but the movies would have to have a different explination.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't double post. Use your Edit button.

StoneRiver likes this.
  7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    The (Imperial) Senate was dissolved in the first Star Wars, days before the destruction of Alderaan - it was a non-sequitor.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

In this forum, with the exception of one pinned thread, the EU (and events that occurred therein) are most certainly aside.:cool:

9. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    My point exactly. So you are saying...

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Just reiterating your point.

11. facebook

facebook Jedi Knight

Oct 16, 2012
    ...Because the Rebels aren't lead by a totalitarian dictator and aren't nearly as brutal as the Empire in their methods?

Captain Obvious said it best- "The Hutts are gangsters". The Imperials wouldnt care at all what happens to them, and are too haughty to form an allegiance with them.

Well that nigh-omnipotent Sith ruler and his Sith Jedi-killer being out of the picture would be one reason to come out of hiding.

It'll likely be 40-50 years later. They'll think of something creative.[/quote]

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Given the intervening years between the production of the OT and episode VII (and Lucas' story telling approach), I'd very much expect the Empire (as we knew it) to have been vanquished, the New Republic (or variation of) to be in situ and a new Jedi Order to be in place at the very start of the movie. I don't see the new movie setting the scene for the formation of these things, but rather show what are heroes have to protect from an external antagonist...

13. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I look at this a lot like WWII and Germany. The Nazis fell and a new government was put in place and the people accepted it and moved on. Followers follow. It's what they do...

-C

Episode Swag likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The cheering on Coruscant in RoTJ after the DS2's destruction does hint that the Imperial regime was pretty hated even in the Core Worlds.

15. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    "Why would the galaxy just let these rebels take over the Empire, and make the New Republic, when for about 40 years they were labeled terrorists, and traitors? After killing so many of it's citizens, how would Coruscaunt see this as anything but a hostile takeover? The Empire did after all, kinda slip in. There was no assault on Coruscaunt by Palpatine, save for the Jedi Temple, and even they were falsely labeled as traitors. So to the eyes of the Imperial citizens, the rebels ARE terrorists."

The Empire only lasted for 23 years (same as the age of Luke and Leia at the end of ROTJ or maybe a little more if we are to believe that Coruscant took a few years after the battle of Endor to fall to the rebellion), so the rebellion lasted at the most that long being labeled by the Empire as traitors or terrorists, but it is clear that very few (if any) of the general population actually believed that. Anybody who had been affected or at least witnessed or learned of the tyrannical practices of the Empire would side with the rebels, all the more if they realized that it was directed by former members of the Galactic Senate that intended to reestablish the republic.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Gee, I specifically remember images of Coruscant and other planets rejoicing and taking down idols of the empire at the end of VI. There were pretty damn happy with fireworks, parades and celebrations. I think they figured out that the Empire sucked?

;)

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The Jedi were forced into the rule of two at the end of Episode III. Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding until Luke was ready to be taken into the fold. Once he was in, Obi let himself go. Yoda died when Luke was set for his final showdown with Vader, which ultimately led to Anakin returning.

I have always said this about the Jedi in the OT and I get lots of funny looks over it, but its there. :cool:

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I see where you're soming from and its fair enough. However, don't forget that about half (just a guesstimate) of the worlds in the galaxy know what the Empire really is and are pooling their resources to fight it. The idea of an "Imperial Remnant" as has been widely speculated upon by myself and others suggests that the worlds loyal to the Emperor would continue to pool their resources to mainatin the Empire. I think this is the MOST logical of presumptions.

Now, the question begs where in this galactic civil war are we some 30+ years after Endor???

19. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Easy. The people knocked down the Emperor statue and the planet was saved! Watch the Special Editions.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The most interesting thing about the OP is the killing of Jabba and what that would really mean for Leia. Surely the next in line in the Hutt family would be out to kill her.

Of course if they haven't succeeded 30 years after....how are the Hutts any better than the cowardly Neimodians?

kainee and Immortiss like this.
  21. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    The Empire was hated. End of story. They blew up a dang planet of peaceful people. Plus everyone was cheering at the end of ROTJ. Case closed. The few weirdos that did like the Empire would quickly become the minority and either be destroyed or adapt to new forms of government.

The Hutts...that's a different story. Them trying to kill Leia could be a small side story sort of like Han and Jabba.

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

That's exactly where my mind went after reading this.

Sith-Mullet and Vthuil like this.
  23. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    How would anybody even know it was Leia that killed Jabba? His entire retinue was blown to pieces, wasn't it?

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Ah, but you see, it was Boba Fett.....OK not going there....lol

Immortiss likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    How popular was Jabba among the other Hutts? Could be that they were happy his death left a power vacuum so everyone else could get a bigger slice of the pie.

kainee and Immortiss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.