main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Something to ponder about Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Iron Jedi, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Apparently you didn't see the ending of ROTJ, which should cover any doubts you had about Coruscant.

By the way, you have a couple of dates wrong, by like a mile.

As far as the Hutts are concerned, they probably were happy with Jabba's death since they could have managed to have taken over large parts of his wealth.

However, his son Rotta the Hutt could extract vengeance on Leia by the time Episode VII rolls around.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Sorry for double post, but time ran out

Light Side version of the Rule of Two...I don't see that happening. The reason why that exists with the Sith has to do with their lust for power.

And as far as Imperials are concerned, I would prefer to see new villains.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

Precisely. And never forget the crowd surfing stormtrooper.

4. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The Rebellion wasn't around for the entire 23 years the Empire existed under Palpatine's rule... ANH's crawl tells us they only scored their first victory just before ANH begins, so at least the Alliance must not have been around very long, or they'd probably have broken up over their no-win record. Smaller rebel groups could've been around for years before that, but really the only logical 'rebels' at the start of the Empire would be on/from Separatist worlds, not willing to give up. For most of the former Republic, most of the worlds represented by those cheering senators, it'd probably take 'em many, many years to see how bad things were becoming.

But after Alderaan, there shouldn't be any question things were pretty bad. The Empire was willing to destroy entire planets--that's just not cool, so I don't think anyone would question things much if the Rebels, who were fighting for freedom, swoop in and takes everything over in the aftermath of Palpatine's death.

And revenge for Jabba's death? Please. It's 30+ years later, and while the EU may have had 15 people escape the Sail Barge on various speeder bikes & whatnot, the movie shows no such thing--so who, besides the heroes, would know that Leia killed Jabba? Even if Boba survived, all he knows is Luke started a fight, Boba got knocked into the pit, and whenever he emerged there was sail barge wreckage around him. He'd be more likely to pin it on Luke or the Rebellion as a whole...not Leia. And, really, he wouldn't even try to pin it on anyone. He'd just go take what was owed to him from Jabba's holdings (or whoever was in charge of the estate afterward) and move on in search of a new bounty.

It's 30+ years later. There shouldn't be any grudges or whatever from ROTJ causing problems in VII, Imperial or otherwise.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  5. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    No worries, Star Wars Rebels witll retcon that...

6. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Unless Disney's planning on their own ANH:SE, I don't think they CAN retcon that, not truly.

My hope with Rebels is that they don't exactly 'retcon' it but merely work around it 'from a certain point of view'; like, the 'rebels' we follow (the crew of the Ghost, presumably) maybe aren't part of a "Rebel Alliance" as that may not even exist yet, there may be several rebel groups across the galaxy who, eventually, agree to band together for common purpose as the Alliance--so the smaller groups, they can have victories all over the place, tho they'd be pretty small-scale wins. And if the Alliance is formed already, or after it does, the Alliance doesn't really engage the Empire in full battle very often, striking lightly-defended targets, hit-and-fade attacks, etc, more like the Merry Men of Sherwood than a full army meeting another across a field in battle. So they can have those kinds of 'victories', outpost attacks, convoys, etc, but whenever they amass forces for a larger battle, the Empire cleans their clock and the Alliance has to make tactical withdrawals or risk the entire attack group getting wiped out. That seems more likely, as even the Rebel fleet at Endor wasn't all that big. So the ANH crawl will, in a way, be 'retconned' into "first MAJOR MILITARY victory". Something like that.

whostheBossk, kainee and Dra--- like this.
  7. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm definitely worried about that.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    The rebellion was born around the same time the Empire did when a group of senators started to discuss in private Palpatine holding on to power. From there to the point when they became a full fledged army is unknown but it is puzzling that they took many years to get their first victory. Same case as with the construction of the Death Star that started at the end of ROTS and took 19 years to be finished. IMO this problem comes from the fact that the prequels were written long after the OT so their stories don't fit perfectly.

9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    How long should it take for a Death Star to be built. Particularly, the first one or ones.

Edit: Rebels may simply have been outgunned for a while. The Empire had a headstart and tons of resources.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  10. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    Surely not 19 years, not in a galaxy-far-far-away anyway. They had the second Death Star nearly completed in a lot less time.

11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Did they? How do you know? Maybe they were working on a batch of them at the same time? Maybe DS are more difficult to manufacture than we think? How would we know?

12. Sum-Wan

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm just going by the opening crawl of ROTJ saying that the 2nd Death Star was being built in secret and I would think a secret that big couldn't have been kept from the rebellion for far too long, also, the second DS was bigger and didn't have the same security flaws as the first one which leads me to believe it was redesigned after the experience of the first one... meaning it was built in only 3 to 4 yrs.

13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I've heard that it is more or less canonical that the DS2 construction was underway soon after the DS1 construction was started.

By the time DS9 came around, they ditched the giant laser idea... no wait wrong Star Thing.

14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    How long was the first Death Star kept a secret? A pretty long time apparently.

Also, I've heard people say the EU (I believe, or maybe a screenplay?) established that more than one DS was being built at a time. Either way, these issues seem small fry to me.

Personally, I hope the GFFA is in chaos by the time of the ST. When empires fall, it usually means chaos.

15. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    The Empire are about as likely to return to power as the Nazis were to return to power. I think the Empire even after 40+ years is kind of a stretch.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- construction on the second Death Star began very shortly before the Battle of Yavin.

This is supported by the new Rebels series of comics- which shows an already partially construction Death Star II mere months after.

Concept art for more Death Stars being constructed above Coruscant, however, was recycled, with those things becoming "habitation spheres".

17. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    The construction of DS2 being built after the Battle of Yavin is pretty evident. Just look at the over growth around the secret bunker. It would have been one of the first things to have been put in place. Those sort of things don't just pop up overnight.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It does make sense that it would have been there for a while.

Originally, there were hints that it had not been built until after Hoth- in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, a trooper is part of a team that were sent to Endor shortly after the battle of Hoth, to see if it was safe to build the DS2 there.

But this has been changed.

19. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I'd agree with that, but add one thing. Maybe the galaxy is split - like East and West Germany post-WWII? Or look at it this way - maybe the defeat of the Empire unleashed another adversary to the Alliance - like the Soviets after WWII.

Immortiss and kainee like this.
  20. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Given how far along the DS2 was in the new "Star Wars" comic, I'd have put it at YEARS before Yavin. The reason it didn't have the same flaw as the first (which someone else mentioned) isn't so much that they 'corrected' it, as the damn thing wasn't finished yet.

It seems a stretch, but I'm fine with the DS1 taking 19 years to completion, and the DS2 significantly less (but not just 4 years)... a full-blown rebellion against a brand-new Empire lasting for 19 years before a single victory is too much of a stretch. The senators' discussions in the deleted scenes are overblown when it comes to 'plotting rebellion'. Hopefully "Rebels" will do right and set the Rebel Alliance itself within a couple years of ANH, with disparate pre-Alliance rebel groups going on maybe up to 9 or 10 years before ANH. Gotta give time for the villainy of the Empire to establish itself & be felt across the galaxy.

21. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I'm going to have to agree with this. Even if the Empire were to still exist it would be in small broken fractions. Besides, didn't Palpatine summon all of the Imperial Ships to Endor for the surprise on the Rebels? If so, those ships were destroyed. I think it is safe to say that the Empire is only a relic and that they have no hold on the systems that they once had influence over.

22. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    ^^ It would have been pretty careless of him to leave all the Imperial planets completely undefended.
    Visually, the fleet we see in RotJ doesn't seem to be enough to defend such a large part of the galaxy. The Empire controls the entire Galactic Core, and portions of the Mid Rim and Outer Rim. For that they need a much bigger fleet than what we see on-screen.
    On wookiepedia it is said that there were 30+ Star Destroyers present at that time. 30 is clearly a very small number - very unlikely to be even a third of the Imperial Fleet.

23. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Hey, we have to look after minority rights!!! The Southern Coruscant Poverty Law Centre will be investigating this...

Sarge and I_Love_Scotch like this.
  24. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    It does raise an interesting point. We don't really know what the Empire did to the worlds it ruled. Some must surely have benefited from imperial rule. We know that the Empire destroyed Alderaan but with a healthy dose of pr and fear this could be spun into something palatable for the galactic population in much the same way that wars against terror are justified in the here and now. Remember that the galaxy at large was not there to witness Alderaan's destruction. The disruption of imperial authority throughout the course of the war would likely lead to rises in crime and corruption. Faraway planets with few resources which relied on imperial supplies and bureaucracy (there must have been quite a few) would likely get cut off as the rebels would higher priorities than looking after minor planets which are effectively a drain on resources. The galactic stock market (if indeed there is one) would also presumably crash as confidence in imperial currency would plummet. The life savings of many galactic citizens could disappear overnight. Taking this into account I imagine that there would be many people who would be feeling highly resentful towards the Rebels and would yearn for the order and stability of the Empire. It's hard to believe but there are many Russians who would like a return to the days of the USSR. The galaxy is a big place and the Empire still had a lot of guns. I think the Empire (or factions of it thereof) will still be a major player in galactic politics post Endor.

25. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Whoa! Never noticed that before. Just checked it out and it's really funny!

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.