main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Sometimes Love Isn't Enough (Post-NJO, Jaina/Jag)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MarasFire, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Title: Sometimes Love Isn't Enough
    Author: MarasFire
    Timeframe: c. 30 ABY
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel

Summary: A year after the conclusion of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Jaina confronts an obstacle to her dream of beginning the rest of her life with Jag.

Notes: I intend to continue this to its conclusion - with this opening post serving as a prologue - but it also works as an one-shot, just in case. :p This is my first dip back into fanfiction in almost a year and a half, and it's quite refreshing.

2. MarasFire

Jun 14, 2007
    Jaina knew - without a doubt, when she boiled her feelings down to the very core - that she loved and admired Jag Fel.

He was devoted to accomplishing his assignments and responsibilities, following through on his duty, and yet was willing to toe the line in order to do what was right. He was an excellent commander; even if she hadn't witnessed his guidance and support of the Twin Suns Squadron, his reputation among the Chiss military was evidence enough.

Jag was a good person, through and through. Many found him arrogant, but Jaina knew it was just borne from deep self-confidence and honesty; Jag was willing to concede a point and change his view if convinced he was wrong ? but, boy, did that take a lot of convincing. While he was formal and serious while attending formal functions and caring for military matters, he was remarkably gentle and caring with her in private. She couldn't fault him for disliking public displays of affection, and was more than happy to receive his tender loving in solitude.

She trusted him, and never had a reason not to. He was there for her throughout the hardest years of her life, fighting alongside her ? an ally, wingman, and co-commander. If she faltered, he was there ? as she was for him. He was her equal, neither one giving or taking more or less. He was the bearer of her many secrets, and she of his ? childhood stories, wartime grieving, and shaming emotions; and they both still loved each other, despite their flaws.

Jag wanted a family of his own, Jaina as his wife and mother of his children ? a core unit to come home to at night, to intensely love and protect, to watch the new generation of Fels begin their lives in hope and wonder. Jag and Jaina shared many stories of growing up with their parents, brothers, and ? in Jag's case ? sisters, and knew that they wanted such a tight-knit support system for their own children as well. Having only one child was out of the question.

Jaina knew Jag's vision of the future ? and she readily, happily accepted it as her own. They had been together for over three years now, still happy and in love, and she wanted to be with him for the rest of her life.

And yet . . . there was Csilla.

She didn't know if she could leave her home ? the known galaxy, anyway ? and settle forever on the ice-planet of the Chiss. She wanted to marry Jag, wanted to live with him and know him forever, wanted to raise children with him ? but did she want to do all those things on Csilla? Away from her own family and friends, resigning from her duty as a Jedi, surrounded by a culture she didn't fit in with and never would - a concession that even Jag forced himself to admit, in his scrupulous honesty - and expected to conform and raise children in a way of life that was not her own.

Syal had done it ? disappeared into the Unknown Regions with her children, losing all contact with friends and family back home. Syal was happy, the same life that Jag had planned for himself and Jaina.

Jaina could be, too.

She could. Even though she wasn't Syal.

Wasn't love enough?

3. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Well written! I look foward to see where you're going :D

4. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    I was hesitant when I read the title, but I'm glad I stopped in to read. I'm excited to see where you take this. If you're doing a PM list, please add me.

5. Jaya_Jag_Ben

Jaya_Jag_Ben Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 5, 2009
    "wasn't Love enough?"

That always seems to be the question.

Very well written.

The Comparison between Syal and Jaina makes sense. sons usually seek out women who are similar to there mothers, and will sometimes fall into the lifestyle that their parents/role models had.

Jaina is a different woman from Syal, where as Syal could leave everything behind, I believe at the point after NJO, she would find it extremely difficult to leave - particularly with the wound that was her brother death still fresh.

Anyway, Bravo! =D=

JJB

6. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009
    Wonderful start. I can't wait to see where you go with this. If you start a PM list, please add me to it.

7. MarasFire

Jun 14, 2007
    G__Anakin - Thank you. Nice to see you again, it's been a while :)

darkladypurplepencil - I've always been terrible with titles. :p Thanks for reading, though, and I'm happy you like it so far. I'll shoot you a PM when I update again :)

Jaya_Jag_Ben - I was re-reading Jag's initial proposal to Jaina, at the end of The Unifying Force, and knowing that they ended up drifting away is what sparked this story. With Jag's commitments to the Chiss and Jaina's to the Jedi Order and her family, it seems to be quite the barrier for them to be together in the long run - regardless of how they feel about one another. Not only did they have to adapt from going to a position of solidarity between their governments and militaries in response to the Yuuzhan Vong threat to the post-war return to private interests, on a more personal level they won't be able to see each other every day. I thought that Jaina's reflecting on Syal's situation was inevitable, as she is one of the few examples of women that left everything behind and headed for the Unknown Regions - and, of course, with the possibility of Jaina becoming part of Syal's family ;)

Kailene - Thank you, I hope you continue to enjoy it. Added to the PM list as well :)

I'm hoping to have the next post up shortly. I'm struggling to rein in my desire to make this into a more plot-driven, action 'fic with many more characters involved. My goal, though, is to make this centered primarily on Jaina and Jag (and thus making it shorter than it would be), with the strong possibility of sequels [face_happy]

8. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Interesting start. I like Jaina struggling with the choice. At the NJO she didn't seem to want to move to Csilla, though I'm not sure that was what was holding her back since she talked about wanting to be on the Jedi Council. Will be neat to see what she decides now.

Good job :D

9. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I really like this. [fac_applause] You give Jaina such a calm and rational approach to things, and stay completely in her realm of characterization while doing so. =D=

The chose she faces, is tough, I know... to leave everything you know and go with the man you love into the unknown? Hhhmmm, I think she'll go and never look back. ;)

I hope you continue this, if not, it was great as a one shot. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.