Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Gkilkenny Jedi Master

star 4
    The thumb nibbling is not helping Obi-Wan sort out his feelings. He is confused and the more people he meets the more confused he will be. Luckily he has Qui-Gon and his friends to keep him grounded. Happy that he called ahead to say he was late. But I wonder if his mother will let it rest.

great post.=D=
  2. obimom Jedi Master

star 4
    Amen to what Val said. Very good chapter...it really showed Obi's nervousness and unease about the party and also about his concern for his parents by his being late. This makes me anxious for the next chapter...Obi's made me nervous! [face_worried]
  3. BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling

star 3
    A lovely update. Loved the interaction between childhood best friends in the memory. Will she be a larger part of this story?

Hmmm.

Wonderful post!
  4. Valiowk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    My apologies for missing the previous update - haven't been checking into Before the Saga much recently! [face_blush]

Loved Siri's wisdom - she's definitely given Obi-Wan a better understanding of his current relationship with the Abrams as well as what else he can do on his part to improve relations.

I enjoyed reading about Obi-Wan catching up on the events that had taken place in the Temple in his absence. So many things certainly seem to happen while one is away! Your descriptions also brought the individual Jedi Padawans to life by mentioning something special about each of them.

It's good that Obi-Wan did call Nyla to say that he would be home late - although it doesn't excuse the fact that he accidentally broke his word to his mother, it at least shows that he was aware that she would be worried and was trying his best to return home ASAP. Hopefully this will help when he finally has a talk with Nyla about getting home late.

I see Obi-Wan is still able to fit a bit more into his stomach after the party at Dex's :) - it would be a real pity if he were to disappoint Anen because he was stuffed after the party at Dex's! ;)

Glad that Obi-Wan was able to have a lot of fun despite worrying about being home late halfway through. Hopefully the talk with Nyla after won't spoil the day too much!
  5. The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Once again, nicely done, bek! :D
  6. bek Jedi Master

star 4
    Valairy_Scot: I'm glad Obi called - having disappeared once, Nyla had to be panicking 2 minutes after scheduled arrival. I hope she can talk rationally and calmly with Obi - and not revoke visiting privileges.

The lecture/conversation should be next chapter. And I hadn?t thought about having him call ahead until I read your reply on the thread. So, for the idea, I have to give credit where credit due! :) Thanks, Val!

nada_smith: Another great party (or at least the start of the party).

Writing parties isn?t my thing. This turned out to be more of a gathering at the dinner table than anything else.

I liked that Obi-Wan was so worried about breaking his word. Glad Qui-Gon was there to help him figure out what to do to make it better.

I?ve always seen Obi-Wan as someone who keeps his word and if he isn?t able to, then it would bug him. As Obi-Wan?s master these last years, Qui-Gon?s pretty much got it figured out. ;)

I loved the Quin/Master Jinn exchange. Oh the stories he could tell.

I hope Quin isn?t coming across as too naïve or out there. I loved his character in the comic books, but the character was more reserved and hardened by his time uncover. They had one flashback in the comic where it showed Obi-Wan and Quin as friends when they were younger.

In the Clone Wars cartoon, Quin seemed more of a free spirit, kind of 1960?s free spirit in my opinion. And with him being a teenager in this fic, I?m trying really hard to combine the two ideas I?ve gotten of him from the comics and the cartoon. In the cartoon, Obi-Wan made the comment that he didn?t like hanging out with Vos. So I took that as they must have either gotten into some trouble when they were younger due to whatever, or some sticky situations on missions when they were older. Or, Quin is just too free thinking for Obi-Wan?s tastes. Either way, Quinlan Vos is quickly becoming a favorite. :)

Good job!

Thank you!

Gkilkenny: The thumb nibbling is not helping Obi-Wan sort out his feelings. He is confused and the more people he meets the more confused he will be. Luckily he has Qui-Gon and his friends to keep him grounded. Happy that he called ahead to say he was late. But I wonder if his mother will let it rest.

He?s developing some habits in his need to deal with the stress and confusion he?s experiencing. It needs an outlet and those little quirks are how it?s representing itself. Qui-Gon will have his work cut out for him in breaking the boy of them.

Qui and his friends are definitely doing what they can to help him with the time they have with him. :)

great post.

Thank you!

obimom: Amen to what Val said. Very good chapter...it really showed Obi's nervousness and unease about the party and also about his concern for his parents by his being late. This makes me anxious for the next chapter...Obi's made me nervous!

Obi-Wan is definitely nervous about the party/gathering his mother has planned. He?s going to be meeting people who knew him as a child but whom he doesn?t necessarily remember.

BottledUpInside: A lovely update. Loved the interaction between childhood best friends in the memory. Will she be a larger part of this story?

No, she won?t be a larger part of the story. Perhaps a cameo here and there, but not so much.

Valiowk: Loved Siri's wisdom - she's definitely given Obi-Wan a better understanding of his current relationship with the Abrams as well as what else he can do on his part to improve relations.

He?s definitely thinking on what Siri told him.

I enjoyed reading about Obi-Wan catching up on the events that had taken place in the Temple in his absence. So many things certainly seem to happen while one is away! Your descriptions also brought the individual Jedi Padawans to life by mentioning something sp
  7. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Perfectly crafted so that the tear became a smile...aw,such progress. Simply perfect.
  8. nada_smith Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Lovely! I love that Obi-Wan is going to teach his mother to meditate. That should be a good bonding experience. :)
  9. Gkilkenny Jedi Master

star 4
    It's so nice that they have broken through and have found each other without blame.

I hope the grass isn't damp otherwise they will both end up with a cold.[face_mischief]
  10. obimom Jedi Master

star 4
    That was beautiful. He said, "I love you, Mama." [face_love]

So wonderful to see he and Garen together as cousins and as Jedi...

Wonderfully written. =D=
  11. The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Love this update, bek! :D I liked Qui-Gon being smart and thoughtful enough to take a step back and give Obi-Wan's mother a chance. Well done! =D=
  12. Valiowk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Fabulous update, bek! =D= So much progress in Obi-Wan's relationships with his family as well as old family friends over the course of a single dinner!

Love the way each party attempts to understand the culture that the other was brought up with and respect their customs.

I wonder why Obi-Wan seems to have a strange feeling about Yosef Hefler? :confused:

Love the reconciliation between Obi-Wan and Nyla. [face_love] And so sweet that Obi-Wan is teaching Nyla how to meditate!

Looking forward to seeing how Obi-Wan's days with the Abrams will go now that relations have improved so much! :)
  13. bek Jedi Master

star 4

Valairy_Scot: Perfectly crafted so that the tear became a smile?aw, such progress. Simply perfect.

Progress is being made. Obi-Wan doesn?t yet realize that who he used to be is merging quite nicely with who he has become. ;)

nada_smith: Lovely! I love that Obi-Wan is going to teach his mother to meditate. That should be a good bonding experience.

Yes, it should be a good bonding experience. The padawan becomes the teacher. ;)

Gkilkenny: It?s so nice that they have broken through and found each other without blame.

Now that Nyla has an idea of where Obi-Wan?s feelings are floundering, she?ll be able to better understand and compromise in regard to her own wishes and his needs.

I hope the grass isn?t damp, otherwise they will both end up with a cold.

I hadn?t thought of that! :p But alas, the grass was dry if not a bit cool due to the evening hour.

obimom: That was beautiful. He said, ?I love you, Mama.?

Yes, but he wasn?t completely conscious of what he was saying and therefore didn?t catch the fact that he did it. That was Ben breaking out of his self-imposed prison?more on that in a later chapter. ;) At least, I hope the later flashback/vision explains it well.

So wonderful to see he and Garen together as cousins and as Jedi?.

They act more like brothers than cousins or friends. :)

Wonderfully written.

Thank you! [face_blush]

The_Nerfherder: Love this update, bek!

Thank you! :)

I liked Qui-Gon being smart and thoughtful enough to take a step back and give Obi-Wan?s mother a chance. Well done!

Stepping back was a hard thing for Qui-Gon to do? :( But he knew it was for the betterment of his padawan?s well-being in regard to building a relationship with his mother.

Valiowk: Love the way each party attempts to understand the culture that the other was brought up with and respect their customs.

As Jedi, the padawan?s are curious about the customs of other planets inhabitants. Attending missions with their masters, this information may come in handy. ;)

I wonder why Obi-Wan seems to have a strange feeling about Yosef Hefler?

Hmmm?. Good question. [face_thinking]

Love the reconciliation between Obi-Wan and Nyla. And so sweet that Obi-Wan is teaching Nyla how to meditate.

Mother and son have come to some semblance of an understanding between them. :) And meditation will hopefully help Nyla release her fears.

Looking forward to seeing how Obi-Wan?s days with the Abrams will go now that relations have improved so much!

I?m thinking he may feel more relaxed around them.

Chapter 30

Obi-Wan guided his mother into the force, helping her along, teaching her how to flow with the currents. Once she was securely within the force?s embrace, he gently backed away keeping only a tendril linked with her as a crutch should she need it. Something Qui-Gon had done that with him many times in the beginning of their partnership when he was having trouble focusing. Obi-Wan smirked. Come to think of it, there were occasions when he still did.

His mother looked peaceful. He suddenly realized that this was the first time he had seen her this relaxed. The force pulled at him, asking him to give himself over to it, even if just for a while. Answering the call, the youth closed his eyes and once again found himself caught up in the currents of the force.

He could feel her amazement of the wonders the force was showering her with. Although her sensitivity wasn?t quite near the required amount for training, the force was no respecter of persons: treating even the slightest sensitive with the same respect as one of Master Yoda?s caliber. Drawing closer to her presence he showed her how to let go of negative emotions as
  14. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Oh <bad word> - Obi-napping ahead!
  15. The_Zeltron Jedi Master

star 6
    Awesome job, Bek!=D=:D The developing relationships are so beautiful.[face_love] But it looks like trouble's headed their way.[face_worried] Can't wait for the next update!:D Thanks so much for the PM, and apologies for not reviewing the previous chapter.[face_blush][:D]
  16. obimom Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh NO!! Say it isn't so! The same people trying to kidnap Obi-Wan before is going to try it again???

Looking for a particular force sensitive are they?

Obi's parents are likely about to find out how important the Jedi are to their son's well being, I'll bet.

[face_worried]
  17. Gkilkenny Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooh! the mystery deepens.
    Obi-Wan's parents are coming around, hopefully their hopes aren't shattered by another kidnapping.
    The suspense is building nicely.=D=
  18. Valiowk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I simply love this line. [face_love] How wonderful it must be for her to have improved her relations with Obi-Wan so much!

Hm, I wonder what is special about the Abrams' kids? :confused: In any case, I certainly hope a second kidnapping doesn't take place!

Eagerly waiting to see how the story develops!
  19. bek Jedi Master

star 4
    Valairy_Scot Oh <bad word> - Obi-napping ahead!

[Face_mischief]

The_Zeltron Awesome job, Bek! The developing relationships are so beautiful. But it looks like trouble?s headed their way. Can?t wait for the next update! Thanks so much for the PM, and apologies for not reviewing the previous chapter.

Thank you! :) I think relationships make a story ; therefore, I enjoy exploring them whether for good or bad. As for trouble on the horizon, that?s still up in the air. ;) You?re welcome for the PM; thank you for reading and for your replies! [:D]

obimom Oh NO!! Say it isn?t so! The same people trying to kidnap Obi-Wan before is going to try it again??? Looking for a particular force sensitive are they? Obi?s parents are likely about to find out how important the Jedi are to their son?s well-being, I?ll bet.

Possibly! [face_whistling] Obi-Wan and his parents may just learn something out of all this.

Gkilkenny Ooh! The mystery deepens. Obi-Wan?s parents are coming around, hopefully their hopes aren?t shattered by another kidnapping. The suspense is building nicely.

Nyla and Rayfe are learning how to be parents to a half-raised teen as they go along. They?re figuring out that the more they meet him on his level, the more he responds to them. :)

Valiowk I simply love this line. How wonderful it must be for her to have improved her relations with Obi-Wan so much!

Nyla is walking on cloud nine about now! ;)

Hm, I wonder what is special about the Abram?s kids? In any case, I certainly hope a second kidnapping doesn?t take place!

It isn?t so much about the kids per say.

Thank you everyone for your replies; they are greatly appreciated and much enjoyed! [face_love]

Chapter 31

Three weeks after Obi-Wan?s Birthday

A Moment of Quiet

?Master, are you sure you want to do this??

Adjusting his pack on his shoulder, Qui-Gon turned his attention to the sullen teen who wasn?t happy being left behind a second time. ?I?ll be fine, Padawan.? Reaching over, he placed an arm around the teen?s shoulders, squeezing the one under his hand in reassurance. ?You?ve taught me well,? he smirked. ?I think I can handle this one.?

Obi-Wan shifted his stance. ?It?s not that, it?s?.? The teen looked at his mentor a moment and then said, ?You?ve only been back a week.?

Feeling a hint of the boy's mood through their bond, Qui-Gon gently inquired, ?Another bad feeling??

The padawan nodded, knowing he wouldn?t be allowed to sidestep what he had started to say. ?I should have known you?d pick up on it.?

?I?ve had much practice in reading you, young one. Can you pinpoint it??

The young man shook his head. ?No, it?s elusive as usual.?

Sensing the agitation the teen was refusing to show publicly, Qui-Gon inquired, ?Do you want me to request reassignment??

?Yes?no?? Obi-Wan blew out a frustrated breath. ?It?s not like the Council would let you,? he replied with a touch of bitterness.

Concerned by the youth?s response, the Jedi gently probed their bond for the cause of the reaction. His padawan had always been a rule follower, opting to go with the directive of the Council when offered and often chastising said mentor for his more rebellious nature. It would seem that in Obi-Wan?s time away from the Temple, the lad was picking up his own defiant streak. In regard to the young man?s circumstances, things had been going exceptionally well these last three weeks, having had a breakthrough of sorts in regard to his relationship with his family. The bond Obi-Wan had at first refused to acknowledge between them was growing stronger day by day.

Aside from the reporters the family was constantly dealing with, a sense of comfort had finally established itself within the Abrams household. Qui-Gon had felt as much the last time he
  20. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    An update! [face_dancing]

But I've got a baaaad feeling about what's coming up.
  21. obimom Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm...quiet chapter, but disquieting at the same time.

Obi-Wan falling sick but not willing to admit it, having a bad feeling (which he should in light of what the end of the last chapter had revealed), Qui-Gon off planet,

something is brewing isn't it? [face_worried]
  22. TraderWatto Jedi Youngling

Oh! My caf'd gone cold twice when I sat in quiet to read your story through, bek. It's so amazing when the text is huge and one can dive into it and forget everything, feeling as if being among the characters.

What about the last chapter... this "moment of quiet" seems to be the last second before thunderclap! [face_worried] May the Force be with Kenobi [face_praying].
  23. Gkilkenny Jedi Master

star 4
    The calm before the storm.

I suspect Obi-Wan will need Qui-Gon and Qui-gon may need Obi-Wan.

24. bek Jedi Master

star 4
    Valairy_Scot: But I?ve got a baaaad feeling about what?s coming up.

A bad feeling? Why ever for? [face_mischief]

obimom: Hmm?quiet chapter, but disquieting at the same time.

The calm before the storm? [face_thinking]

Obi-Wan falling sick but not willing to admit it, having a bad feeling (which he should in light of what the end of the last chapter had revealed), Qui-Gon off planet, something is brewing isn?t it?

Obi-Wan is a bit stubborn when confessing to poor health. Especially in light that Qui-Gon isn?t there to take care of him as he always has been. :(

As for something brewing?perhaps.

TraderWatto: Oh! My caf?d gone cold twice when I sat in quiet to read your story through, bek. It?s so amazing when the text is huge and one can dive into it and forget everything, feeling as if being among the characters.

I?m glad you are enjoying the story! :) I hope it continues to keep your interest. I appreciate the kind words and the encouragement behind them. Thank you.

What about the last chapter?this ?moment of quiet? seems to be the last second before thunderclap! May the Force be with Kenobi.

The calm before the storm?just maybe. ;)

Gkilkenny: The calm before the storm.

Couldn?t have said it better myself! :D

I suspect Obi-Wan will need Qui-Gon and Qui-Gon may need Obi-Wan.

A good possibility. Although, Obi-Wan will have his hands full filling his role as a brother.

Note: This is a long one...I hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 32

The Bond Between Brothers

Chatter and occasional laughter circulated around the dinner table: each member having something to share about their day save one. Obi-Wan sat next to his younger brother, his gaze not focusing on any one thing. He earnestly tried to listen to what was going on around him, tried to keep his focus on the here and now. But his head swam with thoughts he couldn?t seem to make any sense of and his senses felt skewed. Feeling something pressing on his arm, he looked to his left and saw Ty tapping him with the drink pitcher. Taking the jug, he poured himself a glass and raising it to his lips, gulped down the liquid as quickly as he could and then refilled his cup. He then set the container in the middle of the table within easy reach of anyone who would want it.

?You okay, Obi-Wan?? his little brother asked.

Setting the glass down, his eyes wandered around the table noticing that he suddenly had everyone?s attention focused on him. Ignoring the others, he offered the younger teen an easy smile that didn?t quite reach his eyes. ?I?m fine, Ty.?

?You haven?t touched your food,? Jace put in, a worried look on his face. ?And you drank that glass of juice like you were parched.?

Looking down at his plate, the padawan saw that he hadn?t yet taken a bite of his meal. Setting his eating utensils aside, he licked his lips trying to moisten them. ?I guess I?m not hungry.?

?Are you sure you?re feeling all right?? Nyla asked, reaching over to place a hand over his forehead, and sliding it down to check both cheeks. ?You still feel warm.?

Moving just out of her reach, he tried to assure her that he was well. ?I?m just tired, that?s all.?

Motioning toward the teen?s room, Rayfe suggested, ?Maybe you should lie down for a while.?

Standing, Anen reached over and took the youth?s plate before he could protest. ?I?ll keep this in the warmer in case you want it later.?

Deciding it might not be such a bad idea, Obi-Wan went to his room, closing the door behind him. I?ll lay down for a while and then I?ll be fine, he told himself. As soon as his head hit the pillow, he was out.

A few hours later, the door opened and Rayfe walked in carrying a glass of water. Seeing his son still asleep, he walked over and set the mug on the bedside table before sitting down on the edge
  25. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    Ah...what a nice sense of (blending) families in this chapter. SO happy, as usual, to see an update.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade