main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Poor Obi-Wan! Nothing is ever easy for him is it?

Lovely chapter!

2. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Wow, this came out wonderfully, just as I would have thought everyone to react to the news!=D=

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Well done bek. [face_dancing]
    You handled that conversation and the tension between them marvellously. Obi-Wan sounds devastated and I bet Qui-Gon doesn?t feel too good about the situation either.

Jace is in a difficult position.:oops:

=D=

4. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Sorry for the delayed response...it's the end of the quarter and grad school is trying to kill me. It was a beautifully written post though! Thanks so much!

5. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Oh, you did more than justice with this post. It was wonderful.

Thank you! :)

CelseteAntola WOW. A very intense update! Thanks for the PM!

Thanks! And you?re welcome! :)

ClaudiaR Heh, Obi is may be the son of a politician...we all know how much he likes those!

Indeed! ;)

But emancipation would be something for him to consider. He can likely provide character references from people in very high places, not to mention a the fact he is already trained in many occupations, even if one took out the Jedi part! pilot, mechanic, security, baby sitting, padawans do it all!

The muse is keeping this in mind! ;)

TheMacUnleashed I really liked this chapter. The conversation between Jace and Obi-Wan felt very realistic. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Thanks for the PM!

Thanks! I?m glad the conversation/confrontation came across well. And you?re welcome! :)

ratna Poor Obi-Wan! Nothing is ever easy for him is it? Lovely chapter!

No, not when fanfic writers get a hold of his character! :p Thanks!

GeneralKenobi7 Wow, this came out wonderfully, just as I would have thought everyone to react to the news!

Thank you! I?m so glad their discussion worked! :)

Gkilkenny Well done bek. You handled that conversation and the tension between them marvelously.

Thanks! I was concerned about the characters reactions. Trying to get into their heads to find out what they were thinking at the time was rather difficult.

Obi-Wan sounds devastated and I bet Qui-Gon doesn?t feel too good about the situation either.

Obi-Wan is devastated. Even though he?s the one who initially felt the pull toward the child in the photo, deep down he didn?t really believe it. And now, it?s actually a possibility. [face_worried]

Jace is in a difficult position.

Jace wants to do right by all those involved, and yet he?s leaning more toward Obi-Wan?s rights than his own family?s.

Author Note: Thanks so much for reading everyone; I really appreciate your replies!

Chapter 11

Jace sat at the kitchen table in his parent?s home, his forehead resting on folded arms on top of the counter. Anen, their longtime nanny, walked over to the stove and made the young man a plate of the food she had kept warmed from earlier that morning. Having walked over and set the plate down in front of him, she placed a hand on his hunched back rubbing circles like she always had when he was younger and upset or hurt. Sitting up, Jace looked up at the elder woman he thought of as a second mother. Wrapping his arms around her waste, he held on for all he was worth, breathing in the scent of home. Allowing him the time he needed, she wrapped her own arms as best as she could around him, her hand still rubbing circles on his upper back.

When he finally pulled away, she made sure he was okay before going to the cooling unit and pouring him a glass of juice. Walking back to the table, she sat down across from him, placed the glass on the table and slid it across to rest near his plate.

?What is it Master Jace??

The young man in question shook his head. He hated not being able to tell her what was going on; she had always been a good confident, keeping what was said just between them unless the conversation threatened his safety or health, then she was obligated to tell his parents.

?I can?t tell you yet, but I promise you?ll find out soon enough.?

The elder woman nodded in acceptance of this but then asked, ?Is it about Master Ben??

Mouth opening in shock, he gaped a moment before asking, ?How?d you know??

She offered him a sad smile in return. ?Being a Nanny for as long as I?ve been, one tends to hear things.? She reached over and placed a hand over his

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, my, I'm almost beyonds word at the - difficulty - of the situation.

Am I looking for odds and ends of things - that snipping of the end of Obi-Wan's braid, I couldn't help but think wasn't that partially Qui-Gon's own hair, if you go the accepted fanon that master & padawan's hair is combined in the braid?

Anyway, there is NO easy resolution for this except for the test to be negative.

If it's positive, the "best" solution is to have the Abrams and Obi-Wan spend time together, but not uproot him entirely from his Jedi life.

7. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Oh no, they're in quite the fix there... I can totally understand Obi-Wan's reasons for not wanting to go, but Abrams' reasons are understandable as well.
    You know, your fic is turning into a moral debate here[face_hypnotized] I'n quite amazed by your ability to write it in a way that we can sypmathize with both parties though.

8. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= I love how you're writing out the complexity of the situation -you're looking at it from all viewpoints, legal, moral and emotional. The POV switches are awesome, because they make you have sympathy for all of the characters involved. You can see how the situation doesn't have any sort of easy answer.

Thanks for the PM! :D

9. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    A difficult situation for them all to be in, there is a loser and a winner, but in this case if he is their son
    who wins?[face_worried] Everyone will be miserable and what of Garen, will he be uprooted as well or will his family convince the Abrams to be happy just to know that 'Ben' is alive and well and doing what he should be doing.

I love the trials and tribulations of Obi-Wan, never a dull moment in his life.o_O :oops:

=D=

10. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Oh, man. Being stubborn is not going to help here ... although this one shared trait may be as persuasive of consanguinity as any DNA test ... ?

11. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    love the storyhow it work out. hopeful it will getting better for obi.

please update soon.

12. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Oh, my, I'm almost beyond words at the - difficulty - of the situation.

All the Abrams can think about at this time is that their son may be alive. And in so thinking, they just want him back where they feel he belongs.

Am I looking for odds and ends of things - that snipping of the end of Obi-Wan's braid, I couldn't help but think wasn't that partially Qui-Gon's own hair, if you go the accepted fanon that master & padawan's hair is combined in the braid?

;)

Anyway, there is NO easy resolution for this except for the test to be negative.

Where would the fun in that be? Unless the visions and whatnot were the force telling Obi-Wan to find Ben Abrams?[face_thinking]

If it's positive, the "best" solution is to have the Abrams and Obi-Wan spend time together, but not uproot him entirely from his Jedi life.

That would be the best and most logical solution if those involved were using common sense. ;)

GeneralKenobi7 Oh no, they're in quite the fix there... I can totally understand Obi-Wan's reasons for not wanting to go, but the Abrams' reasons are understandable as well.

Both sides have logical reasoning in this matter, except that neither is looking at what is best for the other side.

You know, your fic is turning into a moral debate here. I?m quite amazed by your ability to write it in a way that we can sympathize with both parties though.

It wasn?t supposed to turn into a moral debate, but I guess it couldn?t be helped given the circumstances. Thanks for the kind words! :)

TheMacUnleashed I love how you're writing out the complexity of the situation - you're looking at it from all viewpoints, legal, moral and emotional. The POV switches are awesome, because they make you have sympathy for all of the characters involved. You can see how the situation doesn't have any sort of easy answer.

Thanks, I?m glad that it is all coming across well and making sense at that. I like knowing what a character is thinking, so the characters in my stories tend to get their time if possible. And I love dialogue?if you couldn?t already tell. ;)

Thanks for the PM!

You?re very welcome! Thank you for reading and for taking time out of your day to reply. I appreciate it! :)

Gkilkenny A difficult situation for them all to be in, there is a loser and a winner, but in this case if he is their son
    who wins?

Unfortunately, no one will win. Even the if the tests come back positive, the family won?t have their son back ? not in the sense they?re hoping for. :(

Everyone will be miserable and what of Garen, will he be uprooted as well or will his family convince the Abrams to be happy just to know that 'Ben' is alive and well and doing what he should be doing.

Garen?s parents have no intention of uprooting him or reclaiming their parental rights. They willingly gave him up to the Jedi when they learned of his force-sensitivity. They had even tried to talk the Abrams into sending Ben to the Jedi as well, but the family couldn?t bear to be parted from their son.

I love the trials and tribulations of Obi-Wan, never a dull moment in his life.

Especially when we fanfic authors get a hold of the character. ;) :p

ratna Oh, man. Being stubborn is not going to help here ... although this one shared trait may be as persuasive of consanguinity as any DNA test ... ?

Stubbornness won?t help any of them in this situation. A family trait?possibly. :p

littleobiwankenobi Love the story and how it works out. Hopeful it will be getting better for Obi.

Thank you! As for getting better?maybe, or maybe not. [face_thinking]

please update soon.

Next chapter coming right up! :)

Chapter 12

Jace stole glances at

13. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    It's all coming back to him.

One way or another.

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    After those visions, I'm not surprised...but poor Obi.

Is Qui saying the Force will see to it that either:

1. He comes along (I don't see the Abrams allowing that)
    2. They split custody

What's so tough about this for Obi is that as a Jedi he should accept this without fighting it? Yet he's a boy as well, and certainly not fully trained. How could he accept this?

The key may be mom - if she is allowed contact/visits with Ben, Obi-Wan may relax enough to let the family get to know him and may end up with two families.

15. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm really starting to love Jace and Anen - I think they might have been good Jedi as well...
    Still, poor Obi-Wan, there doesn't seem an easy way out of this[face_worried]

16. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    I have to say that you built the suspense up perfectly. [face_worried] Right until the words were spoken I was trying to think of other reasons you could use to have him not be Ben.:oops:

Now there will be a custody battle, but I think Obi has a friend in Jace and now Anen.

I feel sad for the mother though.:_|

Great story bek.=D=

17. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Wonderful chapter. You kept me guessing until the end of it -I was so hoping that Obi-Wan wouldn't be related and that things could stay the same for him, but alas...

I'm really interested in seeing how everyone reacts to the confirmation of their suspicions, the Jedi Council especially.

Poor Obi-Wan; it doesn't seem like things can ever be simple for him.

18. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    love the chapter, but poor obi, hopeful the force knows what it has to do!!!

19. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    ratna It's all coming back to him. One way or another.

Whether he wants the memories or not. :(

Valairy_Scot After those visions, I'm not surprised...but poor Obi.

Is Qui saying the Force will see to it that either:

1. He comes along (I don't see the Abrams allowing that)
    2. They split custody

Qui is saying that he believes that Obi-Wan?s future lies within the Jedi Order. He believes the Force worked it out once before and he believes it will bring him back around again. ;)

What's so tough about this for Obi is that as a Jedi he should accept this without fighting it? Yet he's a boy as well and certainly not fully trained. How could he accept this?

You?re right, he?s a Jedi trainee in a fifteen year old human body that feels things he cannot yet repress. Qui-Gon understands where the emotions and rebellion are coming from, and though the Jedi side of him knows that the boy should not give into them, his all to human side is making allowances.

The key may be mom - if she is allowed contact/visits with Ben, Obi-Wan may relax enough to let the family get to know him and may end up with two families.

That would be fantastic if mom would allow him to stay. [face_worried]

GeneralKenobi7 I'm really starting to love Jace and Anen - I think they might have been good Jedi as well...Still, poor Obi-Wan, there doesn't seem an easy way out of this.

Jace and Anen understand the issue from Obi-Wan?s point of view. Something his biological parents aren?t, in reality, allowing themselves to do, though they?d argue the point. Nyla and Rayfe only see that Ben is alive and their son; they want him back. Don?t forget, Obi-Wan comes from a good home, a loving family; he just doesn?t remember it. ;)

Gkilkenny I have to say that you built the suspense up perfectly. Right until the words were spoken I was trying to think of other reasons you could use to have him not be Ben.

Thanks! To be honest, I went back and forth on the issue several times before finally going with the chapter that was posted.

Now there will be a custody battle, but I think Obi has a friend in Jace and now Anen. I feel sad for the mother though.

Obi-Wan does indeed have a friend in Jace and Anen, even if he doesn?t readily accept it. And I too feel for Nyla?:(

Great story bek.

Thank you! [face_blush]

TheMacUnleashed Wonderful chapter. You kept me guessing until the end of it - I was so hoping that Obi-Wan wouldn't be related and that things could stay the same for him, but alas...

Where would the fun in that be? :p

I'm really interested in seeing how everyone reacts to the confirmation of their suspicions, the Jedi Council especially.

These reactions won?t be readily available. But perhaps in a future chapter? [face_thinking]

Poor Obi-Wan; it doesn't seem like things can ever be simple for him.

Not when we fanfic authors get a hold of the character. ;)

littleobiwankenobi love the chapter, but poor obi, hopeful the force knows what it has to do!!!

The Force will do what it must. ;)

Chapter 13

Obi-Wan looked out of the one-way mirror in the observatory lounge above the meeting room where Qui-Gon, Healer Alejandro, Masters Yoda and Windu, Senator and Lady Abrams, the Abrams? physician, their lawyer and the Judge were currently deciding his future. Behind him, in the first row of a three tier stadium seating arrangement, sat Jace Abrams.

The controls for the observation pane were set so those in the room couldn?t see the bystanders above. A flick of a switch and the glass would clear, allowing both levels of occupants to view one another.

The day they learned of the test results, Qui-Gon had arranged for their day to be full of training

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Awk! Tears hairs out by the handful!

Gah, these kinds of situations where there is no right way to procede, no wrong way, either, are just so heartrending.

To borrow a line from Kim, rip my heart out and stomp on it.

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    You are laying out the story as though you've been there done that. It is very believable how you are developing the characters.

Each prospective is feasable, but of course a whole year away from his life may turn Obi-Wan into an angry young man.

If they try to smother him with love and stop him from seeing Qui-Gon it might have the opposite affect on him. He may hate them for it.
    Maybe Garens situation might prove a help to sorting out their problems. He sees his parents yet he is still a Jedi, just like Obi-Wan wants to be.

I'm liking this,=D= but I'm crying:_| at the thought of Obi-Wan being torn away from Qui-Gon.[face_not_talking]

=D= [:D] :cool:

22. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Loved the last line!

But, ack!, poor Obi! I guess we can all see where this is going...and Qui-Gon isn't exactly happy either (and how could he?).

23. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Great chapter! You did quite well writing out the legal talk, and capturing Obi-Wan's emotions about everything going on.

Thanks for the PM! :D

24. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow, the mediation was very life-like! I so feel for Obi-Wan, being unable to do much more than watch from the sidelines.

This story does really make one think about the whole Jedi adoption thing. Very nicely done!

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Awk! Tears hairs out by the handful! Gah, these kinds of situations where there is no right way to proceed, no wrong way, either, are just so heartrending. To borrow a line from Kim, rip my heart out and stomp on it.

The Abrams are having doubts about what they?re doing but are still pushing forward despite their misgivings. They feel they need to give it a chance to see if they?re family can come together. If not, at least they tried. ;)

Gkilkenny You are laying out the story as though you've been there done that. It is very believable how you are developing the characters.

Thank you; I?m pleased that the characters and the situation are coming across well.

Each prospective is feasible, but of course a whole year away from his life may turn Obi-Wan into an angry young man.

A year is a bit excessive, but the Judge has the final say. ;)

If they try to smother him with love and stop him from seeing Qui-Gon it might have the opposite affect on him. He may hate them for it.

Obi-Wan doesn?t want anything the Abrams are offering; he just wants to be left alone. But then again, perhaps he?ll find a middle ground on which to stand.

Maybe Garen?s situation might prove a help to sorting out their problems. He sees his parents yet he is still a Jedi, just like Obi-Wan wants to be.

Except that Garen doesn?t know they?re his parents.

I'm liking this, but I'm crying at the thought of Obi-Wan being torn away from Qui-Gon.

Sorry ?bout that. We?ll have to see what the muse has in store in regard to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon?s relationship. [face_whistle]

GeneralKenobi7 Loved the last line!

Thanks! :)

But, ack!, poor Obi! I guess we can all see where this is going...and Qui-Gon isn't exactly happy either (and how could he?).

[face_whistle]

TheMacUnleashed Great chapter! You did quite well writing out the legal talk, and capturing Obi-Wan's emotions about everything going on.

Thank you! I wanted it to be believable. ;)

Thanks for the PM!

You?re very welcome!

ratna Wow, the mediation was very life-like! I so feel for Obi-Wan, being unable to do much more than watch from the sidelines.

Thank you! I was hoping that it would sound plausible. :)

They don?t feel that Obi-Wan can look at the situation objectively; therefore, his wants are only listened to, but not necessarily put into action. :(

This story does really make one think about the whole Jedi adoption thing. Very nicely done!

Thanks!

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 14

Rayfe paced nervously in the doctor?s office while his wife sat nearby, her hands twisting around one another in anticipation of the results. Jace and Ty leaned back against the wall behind their mother?s chair watching their parents. Taking a deep breath, Jace crossed his arms over his chest, briefly rubbing one hand over his features. When the physician entered the room, the Senator sat down next to Nyla and took one of her hands into his.

The healer smiled as he opened the file in his hand and handed the couple the results they had been waiting for. Reading through the report, Rayfe paused mid way and glancing at his wife, he turned his focus onto their physician and asked, half in shock, half filled with hope, ?He?s ours??

?Yes, Senator, he is. The young man you know as Obi-Wan Kenobi was born Ben Abrams.?

Nyla raised a hand to cover her mouth as tears filled her eyes. ?It?s finally over,? she whispered. She looked at her husband. ?He?s alive.?

Jace closed his eyes as he lowered his head. Part of him was thrilled at the news. His little brother was alive and well. He no longer needed to wonder what had become of him. The child had been well taken care of. Another part of him wanted to scream out that his parent?s next step wa