main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Maybe he can look at it as a diplomacy mission ... [face_thinking]

2. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Yeah, two new chapters! =D= They were both fantastic -you've written Obi-Wan's way of adjusting to the situation perfectly. I really like how Qui-Gon is the only one who could reach Obi-Wan -that's a wonderful portrayal of how deeply their bond goes. I'm looking forward to seeing how well Obi-Wan continues to adjust.

Thanks for the private messages!

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Naughty Obi-Wan - not meditating when he was supposed to! ;) j/k. I'm glad that through the comlink conversation, Qui-Gon was able to persuade Obi-Wan to return to his routine as well as to start interacting with the Abrams. IMO this conversation is one of the best dialogues you've written in the story so far - it exhibits so many things at the same time: many words of wisdom, the close relationship and concern between Master and Padawan, how a father figure can talk to his ward and impose his authority without being overbearing or oppressive...I loved the way you modified the description of the events on Melida/Daan so as to make it into a good example of adapting to situations.

I was happy to see that Anen was comfortable calling Obi-Wan by this name and that Rayfe also got the idea to do so. The Abrams are beginning to see where they can afford to be flexible in order to make Obi-Wan feel more comfortable and this is a good step they have taken. Oh, Anen - she may not be related to Obi-Wan by blood, but it's clear that she missed him as much as the other members of his family in the years after he was taken away from them.

Up to this post, Nyla seemed to be a bit stiff and somewhat unwilling to accept the changes that had taken place. I'm glad to see that she's become more open towards accepting the changes. IMO children frequently think their parents rather rigid in their opinions and wish that they were more open and flexible towards new ideas - and then are pleasantly surprised when we find out that our parents are sometimes far more open-minded than we thought they would be :p - and I think that as Nyla shows that she is more willing to accept the changes that have occurred, this will aid her in forming a closer relationship with Obi-Wan.

Hm, I wonder if the Senate tour will lead to any interesting events, or if this is just a red herring. [face_thinking] Fishy, fishy...

Having Jace accompanying Rayfe to his office feels a bit weird to me. I realise that it's fairly common for parents to bring their young (say 12 years old or below) children to their office, but bringing an adult child to the office to help with work just feels a bit strange to me, especially when the parent works in a job as public as that of a senator. I could definitely imagine Rayfe consulting Jace for his opinion on some proposed bills in the home, but having Jace in Rayfe's office makes me a bit wary of how this could possibly be perceived by others. It's possible that I'm just making too much out of this, though, so feel free to ignore my comments on this issue if this doesn't seem important to you.

I'm curious to find out your explanation for the security system. The existence of the security system set off some warning bells in my head - while I can understand there being a security system in a senator's house, the idea that Anen accessed it as though it was fairly ordinary to do so bugged me. I wonder if this was some sort of reaction to Ben being stolen away all those years ago?

All in all, a great post. Looking forward to seeing the next chapter! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I can see that Qui-Gon did help them, but it was for his padawan's sake not theirs.
    I think that Anen may have some hold over Obi-Wan and that will make him remember them. But I don't like the idea of a security recording device spying on Obi-Wan.

I'm actually a little worried that Obi-Wan will begin to like his family too much I will be as devastated as Qui-Gon if Obi-Wan wants to stay there.

He's a Jedi[face_not_talking]

great post bek=D=

5. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    =D=

I´m back, I have to read all the new chapter,

so at the moment no comment from me.

6. Lizzybee

Lizzybee Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2010
    Lovely new chapters! Looking forward to the next one! You have captured the characters very well and made their reactions very realistic.

7. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Oh, this was a wonderful chapter - from Qui and Obi's conversation to Obi's bonding with Anen.

Thanks! :)

I think Nyla will make some inroads once she realizes this is not 2+ year old Ben. This is her son, but not Ben. He's Obi-Wan and she has to let go of her expectations that he's still that little boy in her memory.

It may take Nyla a little longer than it did Anen, Jace and Rayfe. Rayfe isn?t quite there yet but he?s a lot closer than his wife.

I sense better times coming (well, unless Palps sticks his nose into the story with the Senate connection).

That?s an idea! [face_mischief]

GeneralKenobi7 Ah, interaction! I'm not surprised Obi likes Anen, she is a very likeable person (and I think she and Jace were the first to accept him as he is, not as Ben).

Anen is very fond of the Abrams children; she feels as if they are as much hers as they are their parents. She helped raise them after all. ;) She?s more in tune with the boys and how they?re feeling from one moment to the next: motherly intuition if you will. Nyla is too on a different level, but right now she?s having trouble seeing it where Obi-Wan/Ben is concerned.

Loved his conversation with Qui, too!

Thanks! I?m glad it came across well. :)

ratna Maybe he can look at it as a diplomacy mission ...

Perhaps he can! ;)

TheMacUnleashed Yeah, two new chapters! They were both fantastic -you've written Obi-Wan's way of adjusting to the situation perfectly. I really like how Qui-Gon is the only one who could reach Obi-Wan - that's a wonderful portrayal of how deeply their bond goes. I'm looking forward to seeing how well Obi-Wan continues to adjust.

Thanks for the kind words! As for adjusting, he?s taking each moment as it comes. :)

Thanks for the private messages!

You?re welcome! Thank you for reading and for your replies!

Valiowk Naughty Obi-Wan - not meditating when he was supposed to! j/k. I'm glad that through the comlink conversation, Qui-Gon was able to persuade Obi-Wan to return to his routine as well as to start interacting with the Abrams. IMO this conversation is one of the best dialogues you've written in the story so far - it exhibits so many things at the same time: many words of wisdom, the close relationship and concern between Master and Padawan, how a father figure can talk to his ward and impose his authority without being overbearing or oppressive...I loved the way you modified the description of the events on Melida/Daan so as to make it into a good example of adapting to situations.

Thank you! The conversation was a struggle in getting it to sound plausible and balanced?not to mushy and yet not to distant. I appreciate your kind words! :) As for Melida/Daan, Obi-Wan was fairly new in his apprenticeship when he and Qui-Gon went there. I thought it an appropriate mission to show the contrast of Obi-Wan having grown up in the Temple on Coruscant where there was no war as opposed to a war torn planet where some children fought against their parents.

I was happy to see that Anen was comfortable calling Obi-Wan by this name and that Rayfe also got the idea to do so. The Abrams are beginning to see where they can afford to be flexible in order to make Obi-Wan feel more comfortable and this is a good step they have taken. Oh, Anen - she may not be related to Obi-Wan by blood, but it's clear that she missed him as much as the other members of his family in the years after he was taken away from them.

Anen, Jace and Rayfe are seeing Obi-Wan for who he is now. Rayfe isn?t all the way there yet, but he?s a lot closer than Nyla. They?re willing to compromise if it means having him in their life. After all, he?s as much a stranger to them as they are to him, even if they don?t see the situation in those terms.

Up to this post, Nyla se

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm almost speechless with the goodness of this chapter! The Force speaking to Obi-Wan, and the conversation between mother and son was just perfect for this stage of their relationship.

Obi-Wan realizes now, in a way, that he fears to get close to his birth family because he thinks to get close to them, he has to distance himself from the Jedi.

Once he realizes the size of the human heart, he'll be in a far better place.

Bravo! =D=

9. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Very interesting conversation between Obi-Wan and the Force. I'm curious about the fact that the Force simply deems it "necessary" that Obi-Wan get to know his family and even goes so far as to tell Obi-Wan that he will question why it occurred until the day when this relationship serves a role in his life. I wonder if any Jedi encountering such a situation might feel "used" by the Force - having their life controlled by some higher power, where it's unclear where their control of the situation begins and ends... I'm also curious about the physical appearance of the man whose appearance the Force took - might the Force have had a sense of humour and taken the form of some historical personage who would be connected to the events that will occur to Obi-Wan in the future? [face_thinking]

It's good that Obi-Wan is beginning to realise, with some guidance from the Force, that forming a bond with the Abrams family does not mean that he has to give up a part of his bond to the Jedi. I suspect that this may be a lesson that even some full Jedi Knights do not understand that well, because of the way the no attachment rule is so emphasised - they may mistakenly think that any bond at all that they form outside of the Temple will negatively impact their ability to serve well as Jedi.

Good to see Nyla and Obi-Wan talking about the day Obi-Wan was kidnapped - sharing and releasing their memories of it should help them to heal better and also bond further. Lovely last paragraph - we see why Nyla feels so responsible for the loss of Ben: she thinks that it is her fault for not taking action immediately. Would you by any chance be going further into how the loss of Ben affected Nyla's subsequent reactions to events affecting her family members?

It was a great read - hope the muse is a bit more cooperative the next time! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Ah, a conversation with the Force...now you have made me curious of what is to come...why does he need to be close to his family (except for his own state of mind)?

Hmm, they have a long way to go still, but I guess with such conversations the whole process is brought along.

Well done!=D=

11. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Wonderful update! Obi-Wan's conversation with the Force was perfect -it hightlighted how it's always there to guide him. His talk with Nyla was also well done. I'm glad that he's beginning to accept her and the rest of his family.

12. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    It does appear that the Force is guiding him and he is in safe hands. I feel more relaxed that the Force is protecting him and he will be a Jedi but these experiences will be of benefit to him in the future.

Thanks for the update.=D=

13. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Hmmm, I wonder if the man that Obi-Wan saw in his vision was himself ... ?

14. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot I'm almost speechless with the goodness of this chapter! The Force speaking to Obi-Wan, and the conversation between mother and son was just perfect for this stage of their relationship.

Thank you. I?m glad that Obi-Wan and Nyla?s discussion wasn?t too distant or too close for comfort. :)

Obi-Wan realizes now, in a way, that he fears to get close to his birth family because he thinks to get close to them, he has to distance himself from the Jedi.

He?s having difficulty understanding how to balance the two realities of his life.

Once he realizes the size of the human heart, he'll be in a far better place.

I agree! ;)

Bravo!

Thanks so much! [face_blush]

Valiowk Very interesting conversation between Obi-Wan and the Force. I'm curious about the fact that the Force simply deems it "necessary" that Obi-Wan get to know his family and even goes so far as to tell Obi-Wan that he will question why it occurred until the day when this relationship serves a role in his life. I wonder if any Jedi encountering such a situation might feel "used" by the Force - having their life controlled by some higher power, where it's unclear where their control of the situation begins and ends... I'm also curious about the physical appearance of the man whose appearance the Force took - might the Force have had a sense of humour and taken the form of some historical personage who would be connected to the events that will occur to Obi-Wan in the future?

The force has a plan for Obi-Wan?s life should he choose to follow it; however, due to human error, there may be a chance that he or someone else could possibly create a fork in the road. Knowing this, the force is preparing him now for what could happen, not what will irrevocably be. As to the physical appearance the force took during the vision, use your imagination! [face_mischief] But seriously, it wasn?t meant to keep the readers guessing.

It's good that Obi-Wan is beginning to realize, with some guidance from the Force, that forming a bond with the Abrams family does not mean that he has to give up a part of his bond to the Jedi. I suspect that this may be a lesson that even some full Jedi Knights do not understand that well, because of the way the no attachment rule is so emphasized - they may mistakenly think that any bond at all that they form outside of the Temple will negatively impact their ability to serve well as Jedi.

Obi-Wan is currently having difficulty reconciling the two sides of his life. He is beginning to enjoy himself with the Abrams, yet he is holding back and causing himself a lot of unneeded frustration. Not the answer one may have wished for, but the only one available at present. ;)

Good to see Nyla and Obi-Wan talking about the day Obi-Wan was kidnapped - sharing and releasing their memories of it should help them to heal better and also bond further. Lovely last paragraph - we see why Nyla feels so responsible for the loss of Ben: she thinks that it is her fault for not taking action immediately. Would you by any chance be going further into how the loss of Ben affected Nyla's subsequent reactions to events affecting her family members?

Nyla isn?t the only one who blames herself for Ben?s disappearance as we will learn a little farther in. As to how her reactions to Ben?s loss affected her family, I?m not sure if that will be explored or not.

It was a great read - hope the muse is a bit more cooperative the next time!

Thanks! But guess what, the muse wasn?t as cooperative as I would have preferred. It?s been rather quiet this last month or so. It has plenty of story material, it?s just been silent. I don?t know how else to explain it. Thanks for reading!

GeneralKenobi7 Ah, a conversation with the Force...now you have made me curious of what is to come...why does he need to be close to his family (except for his own state of mind)?

Ma

15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Congratulations and [face_good_luck] on your noms! =D=

Hmmm...Obi-Wan on the way to the Senate, two Jedi on the way to the Senate - something's afoot (not by the characters, but there's some reason I'm sure they'll all be there).

And a party - that Obi-Wan will somehow attend. I know those co-conspirators. :D

16. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    It was definitely a pleasure to get an update from you, bek!

Lovely description of the happenings in the six weeks that have passed. I can understand why time seems to drag to Obi-Wan - from personal experience, time passes more quickly if one isn't counting the days! ;) Interesting to see Obi-Wan defending Ty - he indeed acted as many elder brothers would, except that he has the advantage of being able to use Force persuasion. This should give him some food for thought as to how he should try to balance his roles as a brother and as a Jedi - a Jedi's ability to tap on to the Force gives him an advantage that most others lack, and it's important to be careful as to how one uses it.

I join Valairy_Scot in betting that Obi-Wan will definitely be present at his own birthday party. [face_dancing] A question I'm slightly more interested in is: will any of Obi-Wan's family members (say Jace or Ty) be there too? [face_thinking]

Great update, and congratulations on your nominations for the FanFiction Awards! :)

17. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    An update!!:)

I just loved Obi-Wan protecting his younger brother - and then thinking he should have acted differently.

And a party with all his friends? I really don't want to know everything that can go wrong with that ...

Btw, if you mean Quinlan Vos (Kiffar Jedi) it's Quinlan, not Quinlin.

18. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks for the update.[face_dancing]
    I wonder if Obi-Wan will see Qui-Gon in the senate building when he delivers the envelope to his Father.

Well done bek.=D=

19. TheMacUnleashed

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= It's always awesome to see an update. I'm glad that Obi-Wan has begun to act like a big brother. Wonderful writing, as always, and I'm looking forwards to more.

Congrats on your noms, and thanks for the PM! :D

20. SCL12

SCL12 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2009
    I have been a silent lurker for a little while and this story made me cry the moment I started to read it. I hope Obi can get back to the Jedi that?s where he truly belongs.

21. Freakizimi

Freakizimi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    Loving this story, particularly the view of Qui-Gon. I've read too many stories recently that while excellent didn't exactly cast him in a good light. It's good to read a fic with the more caring aspect of Qui-Gon shown :)

I hope you don't mind but I've added you to my Watched Users List. Would it also be possible to be added to your PM list for this story? I stil have a little trouble navigating this site after a prolonged absence and I don't want to lose this fic...

All the best

Freakizimi

22. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Hmmmm, I think I see a bit of trouble on the horizon. Lovely update.

Congrats on the noms!

23. DarthCorsa

DarthCorsa Jedi Master star 1

May 7, 2010
    Hello!
    I missed the beginning of your story and only have just finished reading it!
    Great update!

Please, write more soon? :)

Congratulations on your nominations)

24. DarthManul

DarthManul Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2010
    What a delightful surprise it is to discover such a story unexpectedly! The precision of descriptions like here is the thing I value the most in literature. Although I've read carefully only the first chapter, reading the story from the beginning is now on the top of my plans.
    Oh, I found this story, looking through the list of nominations ? take my congratulations!

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Hmmm...Obi-Wan on the way to the Senate, two Jedi on the way to the Senate - something's afoot (not by the characters, but there's some reason I'm sure they'll all be there).

[face_mischief]

And a party - that Obi-Wan will somehow attend. I know those co-conspirators.

Garen has everything under control?he thinks! ;)

Valiowk It was definitely a pleasure to get an update from you, bek!

Thank you! :)

Lovely description of the happenings in the six weeks that have passed. I can understand why time seems to drag to Obi-Wan - from personal experience, time passes more quickly if one isn't counting the days! Interesting to see Obi-Wan defending Ty - he indeed acted as many elder brothers would, except that he has the advantage of being able to use Force persuasion. This should give him some food for thought as to how he should try to balance his roles as a brother and as a Jedi - a Jedi's ability to tap on to the Force gives him an advantage that most others lack, and it's important to be careful as to how one uses it.

Time is passing slowly for our padawan. He?s in such a hurry for the six months to be up to find out what the Judge will decide that he?s failing to focus on the here and now.

Rayfe will bring up that very topic in this post. ;)

I join Valairy_Scot in betting that Obi-Wan will definitely be present at his own birthday party. A question I'm slightly more interested in is: will any of Obi-Wan's family members (say Jace or Ty) be there too?

Garen thinks he has everything under control?but he isn?t counting on?. [face_shhh]

GeneralKenobi7 An update!!

Sorry for the delay! Between work, kids, home and one college course (college algebra), it doesn't feel like there's a whole lot of time left. :)

I just loved Obi-Wan protecting his younger brother - and then thinking he should have acted differently.

The Jedi part of him is at odds with what remains of Ben Abrams. He?ll need to figure out how to reconcile his past with the life he?s lived.

And a party with all his friends? I really don't want to know everything that can go wrong with that ...

Well?[face_whistling]

Btw, if you mean Quinlan Vos (Kiffar Jedi) it's Quinlan, not Quinlin.

Thanks! [face_blush] I actually knew that?really, I did! :p

Gkilkenny Thanks for the update.

You?re welcome! Sorry for the delay.

I wonder if Obi-Wan will see Qui-Gon in the senate building when he delivers the envelope to his Father.

Depends if Rayfe plans to keep them apart. [face_worried]

Well done bek.

Thank you! :)

TheMacUnleashed It's always awesome to see an update. I'm glad that Obi-Wan has begun to act like a big brother. Wonderful writing, as always, and I'm looking forwards to more.

Obi-Wan isn?t quite ready to be an Abrams, yet his brotherly instincts are beginning to kick in! ;)

Thanks for the PM!

You?re very welcome! :)

SCL12 I have been a silent lurker for a little while and this story made me cry the moment I started to read it. I hope Obi can get back to the Jedi that?s where he truly belongs.

Welcome to the thread SCL12! [:D] And thanks so much for delurking to leave a reply; I appreciate each one very much! It?s always nice to hear what the readers are thinking as they read the story. :)

I too want Obi-Wan to remain a Jedi, but in order for him to move on he first has to get closure about his past. We?ll have to see where the story takes us! ;)

Freakizimi Loving this story, particularly the view of Qui-Gon. I've read too many stories recently that while excellent didn't exactly cast him in a good light. It's good to read a fic with the more caring aspect of Qui-Gon shown.