main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    It's back [:D] and I'm [face_dancing] !

That conversation between dad and son was really good. Lovely update and i think there's a meeting of minds there.

2. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= I enjoy seeing the familial dynamics begin to come out between Obi-Wan and Rayfe. Wonderful writing, as always.

Thanks for PMing me! [face_peace]

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    That was a wonderful conversation between father and son, bek! The openness and honesty with which they're able to speak with each other - I think it would be fair to say that we've been waiting for such a moment for a long time! :)

I understand Obi-Wan's frustration at not being able to be guided by Qui-Gon. There is something special about the bond between Master and apprentice - the apprentice always inherits some of his Master's style while infusing into it some of his own personality, and the part that is inherited from the Master is something that the apprentice is always proud of. Hence it's never the same to be taught by somebody else - it may be purely psychological, but that psychological part is what makes us human.

I wonder if Rayfe will discuss with Nyla about letting Obi-Wan have more interaction with the Jedi during this six-month period after this conversation?

You bring up a great point about why people are so protective of their privacy here - once something gets out into the media, there's no controlling how it may spread and be twisted. I sure hope that nobody decides to use this story for their own purposes after Rayfe speaks out!

I suddenly have a much better understanding of how much Nyla must have blamed herself all those years - surely she felt even guiltier for not chasing after Taren and Ben immediately than even Rayfe judged her to be!

Oh, but that sounds suspiciously like Master Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn! ;) I wonder if that guess was correct... [face_thinking]

Looking forward to the next update!

4. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Sounds like Obi-Wan holds some resentment for his mother because she didn't come for him. It would be very confusing for a child. You describe the Father and Son interaction well.

Excellent Bek.=D=

5. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    [face_whistling] an update, wonderful. It is ok when you take your time, so it will be completed.

Can´t wait for more.

6. Freakizimi

Freakizimi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    I think I've been reading too much Obi-Wan laely, I'm feeling distincly leery of these politicians....

Love the talk between father and son - this could go some badly out of character and right into melodrama, but it doesn't :) Nicely done :) Be interesting to see whether the Jedi will be asked about it too and how they would handle such a request. Would they choose to just keep stum and let the family answer for them?

Thanks for the PM - was a nice surprise! :D

Freakizimi

7. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot That conversation between dad and son was really good. Lovely update and i think there's a meeting of minds there.

I?m glad the conversation came across okay. Obi-Wan is trying to connect with his family, and yet his Jedi training is acting against him in that respect. :)

TheMacUnleashed I enjoy seeing the familial dynamics begin to come out between Obi-Wan and Rayfe. Wonderful writing, as always.

They are both trying to find common ground on which to build upon. Thank you for the kind words; they are very much appreciated! :)

Thanks for PMing me!

You?re very welcome! :)

Valiowk That was a wonderful conversation between father and son, bek! The openness and honesty with which they're able to speak with each other - I think it would be fair to say that we've been waiting for such a moment for a long time!

Rayfe is finding that Obi-Wan is leaning toward knowing his family but is also hindered by his Jedi upbringing. ;)

I wonder if Rayfe will discuss with Nyla about letting Obi-Wan have more interaction with the Jedi during this six-month period after this conversation?

That is a discussion that may need to come up at some point.

You bring up a great point about why people are so protective of their privacy here - once something gets out into the media, there's no controlling how it may spread and be twisted. I sure hope that nobody decides to use this story for their own purposes after Rayfe speaks out!

Rayfe being a Senator of the Republic already has him in the limelight as well as the fact that Obi-Wan had disappeared thirteen years prior. The family wants to have this time without media interference to just enjoy having their son home and to work on rebuilding the bonds they had with him without the extra hassle of the media.

I suddenly have a much better understanding of how much Nyla must have blamed herself all those years - surely she felt even guiltier for not chasing after Taren and Ben immediately than even Rayfe judged her to be!

Nyla has yet to forgive herself for Ben?s disappearance. She is grateful that Ben ended up with the Jedi, however, she also fears losing him to them once again. With the exception of Master Clee and her nephew Garen, ?Out of sight, out of mind? is what she is thinking.

Oh, but that sounds suspiciously like Master Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn! I wonder if that guess was correct...

You have one out of two correct! ;)

Gkilkenny Sounds like Obi-Wan holds some resentment for his mother because she didn't come for him. It would be very confusing for a child. You describe the Father and Son interaction well.

Obi-Wan will need to deal with the resentment he holds toward Nyla. He doesn?t really blame her so to speak; he knows Taren is at fault, but he expected her to come find him and bring him home and that didn?t happen. So part of him is angry at the fact that she never showed up. The resentment is held toward Nyla and not Rayfe because of the bond he shares with his mother. He knows that she knew something was wrong and didn?t act the way he felt she should have. :(

Excellent Bek.

Thank you! :)

littleobiwankenobi an update, wonderful. It is ok when you take your time, so it will be completed.

Can´t wait for more.

Next chapter coming right up!

Freakizimi I think I've been reading too much Obi-Wan lately, I'm feeling distinctly leery of these politicians....

Politicians are never a good thing! ;)

Love the talk between father and son - this could go some badly out of character and right into melodrama, but it doesn't. Nicely done. Be interesting to see whether the Jedi will be asked about it too and how they would handle such a request. Would they ch

8. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Wonderful bek, you explained Obi-Wan's feelings and concerns very well and I think Qui-Gon's
    words helped him considerably.

I wonder how Mrs Abrams will take it if she sees Qui-Gon at the house and how will Obi-Wan take it if she loses her temper with Qui-Gon or Rayfe.

Great post=D=

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw, I loved it but the "little one" at the end really got to me. A great way to end a great day on vacation.

10. The_Nerfherder

The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2010
    Lovely story, bek. Is there a PM list I could be added to? :D

11. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Hurray, another chapter! [face_dancing]

Ooh, what an interesting way to put things. o_O But I can definitely understand why Obi-Wan is confused about just why the Force has put him in such a peculiar situation.

What a wonderful step this is. I don't think anything could be better for Obi-Wan to become more comfortable with accepting both his family as well as his Jedi heritage, as having good relations between the two parties. I hope Nyla won't be upset when she sees Qui-Gon at her home, though - a disagreement between Nyla and her husband or between her and Qui-Gon could have exactly the opposite effect of what Rayfe was hoping for.

Looking forward to more details of that surprise party too! :)

12. SCL12

SCL12 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2009
    You make it very hard for me to dislike the Abrams like i want to they really do love Obi-wan.
    I love the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-wan you write them so well. Can?t wait to see were this leads

13. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Gkilkenny Wonderful bek, you explained Obi-Wan's feelings and concerns very well and I think Qui-Gon's words helped him considerably.

Obi-Wan is confused. He?s remembering who he was as Ben and the family he lived with, loved even, and he?s trying to reconcile that with the Jedi Code. Rayfe and Nyla couldn?t offer him any advice in that arena because they don?t know nor do they understand the rules that their son grew up with. Qui-Gon was able to give him something to think about while still giving the youth a sense of the home he grew up in. :)

I wonder how Mrs Abrams will take it if she sees Qui-Gon at the house and how will Obi-Wan take it if she loses her temper with Qui-Gon or Rayfe.

We?ll find out next chapter. ;)

Great post

Thank you! I really appreciate that. :)

Valairy_Scot Aw, I loved it but the "little one" at the end, it really got to me. A great way to end a great day on vacation.

It seemed appropriate given the situation. :)

The_Nerfherder Lovely story, bek. Is there a PM list I could be added to?

Welcome to the thread! :) Thank you, I?m glad you?re enjoying the story. I?d be happy to add you to the PM list.

Valiowk But I can definitely understand why Obi-Wan is confused about just why the Force has put him in such a peculiar situation.

Something he won?t figure out the reason for until the end. ;)

What a wonderful step this is. I don't think anything could be better for Obi-Wan to become more comfortable with accepting both his family as well as his Jedi heritage, as having good relations between the two parties. I hope Nyla won't be upset when she sees Qui-Gon at her home, though - a disagreement between Nyla and her husband or between her and Qui-Gon could have exactly the opposite effect of what Rayfe was hoping for.

We?ll see more of Nyla?s reaction next chapter. :) It?s like a family that has been through a divorce and the child is caught in the middle. It?s typically easier on the child(ren) when the adults can get along and do what is best for the child. I have quite a bit written, however, I broke it up into smaller chapters in order to be able to post sooner this next time around.

SCL12 You make it very hard for me to dislike the Abrams like i want to they really do love Obi-wan.

Yes, they do. And they are just as much victims of what happened as Obi-Wan was. They want to do right by their son; however, they?re learning as they go.

I love the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-wan you write them so well. Can?t wait to see were this leads.

Thank you. I know neither are quite acting like their counterparts in Lucas? world, but I rather like the father/son relationship in regard to these two. :)

Author's Note: Hello everyone! I want to thank you all for reading and for your replies; I appreciate both very much! I?ve got quite a bit written but have decided to break it up into smaller chapters instead of posting it all as one chapter. I thought that way there would be something to post a bit sooner.

In case anyone?s wondering, the surprise party won?t be coming up as soon as I had thought. I was thinking this chapter or the next, but unfortunately the muse has pushed it back a few. Sorry ?bout that. The characters went in another direction and I?ve got to round them back up in order to get to that scene.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 22

Anen paused in her cleaning duties when she heard the sound of laughter that wafted in through the open patio doors. Walking over to the doorway, she leaned against the frame and watched as Obi-Wan?s mentor bent over and tapped the boy?s leg back about three inches. The smile on the youth?s face was the most genuine she had seen since his return home. From the sound of it, he was enjoying giving his mentor a hard way to go.

14. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Oh, a cliffhanger! But at least we readers have the assurance that we won't need to wait too long for the next chapter. :p

Indeed, sometimes the most direct approach isn't the best option and indirect approaches work better. I have a good feeling that Obi-Wan may be allowed contact with the Jedi more frequently from now on... :)

I truly admire Alys' attitude. She is able to strike a wonderful balance between wanting to get to know her son and respecting that he is now a Jedi, bound by the Jedi Code.

Oh, this doesn't sound good! But if Nyla can control her temper for a while so that things can end amiably between the Jedi and the Abrams family today, then maybe things won't be so bad after all!

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

?Nyla, if you make him choose between you and the Jedi,? she shook her head to the negative. ?You won?t win. It would be best to allow him the best of both lives than to ask him to forfeit one for the other.?

Nyla glanced at the chrono and turned back to gather her things. "I need to go; Ty will be released from school soon."

Alys reached over to help her sister. "Think about what I've said, Ny. Don't push him into a corner; don't make him choose."

The elder woman put the last of her items in the satchel she had brought with her and fastened the flap. "I think about it everyday. And I'm no closer to a decision than I was when Rayfe first brought it up." She stood and started for the door before stopping and turning back. "I'm not ready to share him with the Jedi, Alys. Is it so wrong to want him to myself for just a while?"

"If it hurts Ben, then yes," was the quiet yet honest reply.

I'm not a parent, never have been, but I can understand Nyla's feelings. She wants her son back, and she wants the time with him.

But Alys is correct - she may "get" Obi-Wan more by sharing him, then trying to reclaim him.

Wonderful update, and as always, there are no easy answers for anyone.

16. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Brilliant=D= and I'm happy that Qui-Gon has this time with Obi-Wan and now he senses that there is something amiss with his Padawan and I bet it has everything to do with Nyla.

She will lose him if she keeps that attitude. She has to listen to her sister, otherwise disaster will happen and it could affect Obi-Wan's wellbeing as well.

Thanks bek.=D=

17. The_Nerfherder

Sep 19, 2010
    Thanks for the PM. Great update! Leaves me wondering if Nyla is going to confuse Obi-Wan all over again and in one fell word, born of her protective motherly instinct, reopen, or even widen, the rift between them.

18. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    This is a great story. Something tells me not to trust Obi-Wan's mother. If she could use the force, then how could she not use it to find her son?

If you have a PM list, could you please add me to it.

19. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valiowk Indeed, sometimes the most direct approach isn't the best option and indirect approaches work better. I have a good feeling that Obi-Wan may be allowed contact with the Jedi more frequently from now on...

That is if Nyla?s willing to focus on the present instead of the past.

I truly admire Alys' attitude. She is able to strike a wonderful balance between wanting to get to know her son and respecting that he is now a Jedi, bound by the Jedi Code.

Alys and her husband willingly gave Garen to the Jedi for training when he was a year old. They were well aware of the consequences (i.e. no attachment, etc?) of their actions. Because Trae is a Senator and is stationed on Coruscant, that gives him and Alys a chance to know their son. And Master Clee allows the interaction; she?s been forthcoming in telling of Garen?s childhood which has helped Alys and her husband feel as if they really haven?t missed out. :)

Oh, this doesn't sound good! But if Nyla can control her temper for a while so that things can end amiably between the Jedi and the Abrams family today, then maybe things won't be so bad after all!

Nyla hasn?t yet learned to let go.

Valairy_Scot I'm not a parent, never have been, but I can understand Nyla's feelings. She wants her son back, and she wants the time with him.

She missed out on raising him, but she hadn?t yet realized that she can?t make up for the time missed or get it back for that matter.

But Alys is correct - she may "get" Obi-Wan more by sharing him, then trying to reclaim him.

They just have to convince Nyla of it. ;)

Wonderful update, and as always, there are no easy answers for anyone.

Thank you! :) And no, there are no easy answers. Nyla, in a way, is still grieving even with Obi-Wan back in their home. Her energy as a whole was put into finding him and blaming herself for so long that she hasn?t really grieved his loss. Now that he has been returned to them, that grief is coming out in a different way.

Gkilkenny Brilliant and I'm happy that Qui-Gon has this time with Obi-Wan and now he senses that there is something amiss with his Padawan and I bet it has everything to do with Nyla.

You are correct. ;)

She will lose him if she keeps that attitude. She has to listen to her sister, otherwise disaster will happen and it could affect Obi-Wan's wellbeing as well.

If Nyla doesn?t reach a compromise with him, she will lose him, emotionally if not physically. :(

Thanks bek.

The_Nerfherder Thanks for the PM. Great update! Leaves me wondering if Nyla is going to confuse Obi-Wan all over again and in one fell word, born of her protective motherly instinct, reopen, or even widen, the rift between them.

You?re welcome! :) There will be a confrontation.

The1stJediPrincess This is a great story. Something tells me not to trust Obi-Wan's mother. If she could use the force, then how could she not use it to find her son?

Nyla is not strong enough in the force to have found Obi-Wan, that and the galaxy is an awfully big place. Nyla has a bond with each of her sons and her husband. She has the ability to feel other?s emotions/sense when something is not quite right with them ? she would have made a good counselor at best. She has no training and not enough midichlorians to have garnered training. So bottom line?she?s force sensitive, but on a low level sensitivity. Hope that made sense. :)

If you have a PM list, could you please add me to it.

I?d be happy to; thank you for reading! :)

Author?s Note: Thank you so much for reading and for your replies! This chapter may end on another cliff hanger?I guess that?s for each reader to decide. I?ve divided it yet again into a shorter chapter so there will be another portion to post sooner rather than later. I?

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Then I shall be mindful of my surroundings,? the elder man replied, a hint of mischief in his voice. ?Come now, Padawan, do you really think I haven?t seen it all when it comes to pranks? I?ll have you know that Mace and I were well known for our misd?? Caught up in the past over some well-played-out shenanigans he and his friends had perfected, he nevertheless realized that perhaps he shouldn?t yet share that part of his youth with his impressionable apprentice. The boy might actually put some of those ideas into play with him as the target.

?And,? Obi-Wan prompted, his eyes shining with mirth.

Clearing his throat, Qui-Gon retraced his steps. ?As I was saying, that is a story for when you?re older and no longer have the inclination for mischief.?

The youth laughed outright. ?You can?t back peddle when it was just getting good. Besides, Master Yoda?s told me time and again that I?m too much like you. So I think trying to hide your youthful misdeeds now isn?t going to help much. Besides, Master Tahl has told me a few things that would probably make you blush.? With Jedi reflexes, the teen moved back and out of the elder?s reach when the Master made to swat at him for his impertinence.

?Cheeky little brat.? The comment held only affection for the teen it was meant for.

Oh, I love these little moments between them.

21. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Bek, Thanks for the explanation, and yes it made perfect sense. =D=

Great chapter, I love the interaction with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Hopefully Obi-Wan's mother will see it would be better to "share" him with the Jedi or she might lose him altogether.

Great job! Can't wait to read the next part![:D]

22. The_Nerfherder

Sep 19, 2010
    =D= Great update, bek!

23. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    ?What I understand is that you?ve given up! You?re willing to let that Jedi come in here and interfere in us knowing our son. You can?t just decide this without me; I am his mother!?

?Are you sure about that?? Another voice asked.

She certainly isn't acting like she wants Obi-Wan, rather she wants her little boy Ben, one she can train to her way of thinking.

She is mistaken if she thinks Obi-Wan will conform to what she wants.
    It was nice to see the companionship between Qui and Obi.=D=

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Great update, bek!

Excellent point Rayfe makes here. It's good that there's somebody in the family who understands that love isn't something occurring in a limited quantity, that to form a new relationship doesn't (and shouldn't) involve weakening an old one.

A very interesting statement Nyla makes here. It's almost as though she's admitting that Obi-Wan will probably choose the Jedi over the Abrams family eventually and needs to hold on to whatever time she's been given with Obi-Wan desperately.

Ooh, I wonder who this was... :rolleyes:

Loved the banter between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan - the relationship between them hasn't at all become awkward despite their temporary separation.

Looking forward to seeing what the person behind the new voice has to say and how that will affect Nyla's opinions!

25. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi Bek, I just joined here today and I see you are posting this wonderful story on here also!! I also look forward to knowing who the mysterious voice is, although I have a thought who it might be...[face_thinking]

Wow..that was easy..~Obi's Mom