main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot: Oh, I love these little moments between them.

Me too! :) With everything going on around him, Obi-Wan needs these little moments.

The1stJediPrincess: Bek, Thanks for the explanation, and yes it made perfect sense.

You?re welcome. :)

Great chapter, I love the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Hopefully Obi-Wan?s mother will see it would be better to ?share? him with the Jedi or she might lose him altogether.

I too liked the interaction between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. I very much enjoyed writing that part. Nyla will come to a partial understanding of that truth in this chapter. ;)

Great job! Can?t wait to read the next part!

Thank you! :) The next chapter is coming right up!

The_Nerfherder: Great update, bek!

Thanks! :)

Gkilkenny: She certainly isn?t acting like she wants Obi-Wan, rather she wants her little boy Ben, one she can train to her way of thinking.

Nyla misses her son. Hopefully this chapter will help explain a little more of what she?s feeling. ;)

She is mistaken if she thinks Obi-Wan will conform to what she wants.

Mistaken indeed. In the next chapter, Qui-Gon will let her know where he stands. :)

It was nice to see companionship between Qui and Obi.

It was my favorite part to write! I love moments like those between the two of them. [face_love]

Valiowk: Excellent point Rayfe makes here. It?s good that there?s somebody in the family who understands that love isn?t something occurring in a limited quantity, that to form a new relationship doesn?t (and shouldn?t) involve weakening an old one.

Rayfe is keeping a promise he made earlier on to Jace. It took him a while, but he finally came to understand that Obi-Wan needs contact with the Jedi. Once he came to terms with it, it was a no brainer for him to put his son?s needs and wants above his own. ;)

A very interesting statement Nyla makes here. It?s almost as though she?s admitting that Obi-Wan will probably choose the Jedi over the Abrams family eventually and needs to hold on to whatever time she?s been given with Obi-Wan desperately.

That is exactly what she?s admitting.

Ooh, I wonder who this was?

One guess! :)

Loved the banter between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan ? the relationship between them hasn?t at all become awkward despite their temporary separation.

They needed the banter to get back into the swing of things. And?it was fun to write!

Looking forward to seeing what the person behind the new voice has to say and how that will affect Nyla?s opinions!

That voice will give her something to think about!

obimom: Hi Bek, I just joined here today and I see you are posting this wonderful story on here also! I also look forward to knowing who the mysterious voice is, although I have a thought who it might be?

Welcome to the thread! :) It?s good to see you on these boards. I actually started posting the story here first and then moved over to ff.n. I?m glad you?re enjoying the story! And you?re first thought as to the voice is probably a correct guess. ;) Though I didn?t mean for it to be a mystery, but I guess it kinda came off that way. Whoops! [face_blush]

You should post your stories over here! I?m sure there are readers that would love a good siriwan!

Chapter 24

Turning toward the kitchen, they saw the object of their discussion standing there, albeit somewhat damp, looking at them with a world of hurt in his eyes. Obi-Wan slowly made his way into the room, stopping a few feet away from the Abrams. Rayfe closed his eyes briefly and rubbed the bridge of his nose as if he had a headache coming on. He had hoped to keep the confrontation with his wife private, but he should have known that his son would pick up on Nyla?s emotions. The connection they shared wou

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah...very emotional (I do NOT mean overly emotional) - very heartfelt and very real emotion in that post.

Just excellent!

3. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Lovely update, bek! At long last, we see Nyla willing to accept a compromise. It's good that Obi-Wan and Nyla have finally got a lot of the thoughts they've been suppressing from each other out in the air - only thus will they feel that they're not one-sidedly trying to accommodate the other without having their own feelings considered.

I actually hadn't expected Obi-Wan to continue being so angry about this, but I guess it makes sense, as Obi-Wan hasn't had the long period of time his family had to accept how the incident occurred. And as I mentioned above, getting out in the air will make it easier for them to let this mistake go.

Hurray! I know it must be difficult for Nyla to say this, but its consequences, as opposed to Nyla chasing Qui-Gon out of the house, will definitely make an enormous difference!

Looking forward to seeing what happens next - are we getting to the birthday party anytime soon? :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Just read the chapter on the other board, then popped over here. Excellent chapter..I'm not sure I'm right about the mysterious voice though, because he was not mentioned in this chapter unless he was hanging around the background and just hasn't been acknowledged yet.

As for my Siriwans..thanks!! I do plan to post them here eventually..a lot has been going on recently in RL, and I'm trying to get familiar enough with using these boards before I start trying to post..but I'm sure my son will help when I decided to..he has experience posting stories on another forum with a similar format..

Darn..can't get the faces to work right now..oh well...;) ~Obi's Mom

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Obi-Wan is a very compassionate young man and he has a good brain.

He makes sense and I bet Qui-Gon is very proud of his padawan.

Excellent post bek.=D=

6. The_Nerfherder

The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2010
    Wonderful update, bek! Nice to see Nyla coming to her senses! =D=

7. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Great update! You have portrayed Obi-Wan's feelings rather well in this.

8. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Thought I d look up your other stories as well. Im enjoying this alot. Obimom- what do you post under on ff.net? Im a SirWan shipper and love anything new, would love to check it out. Im slightly confused how the board over there works when you put in the filters hardly anything shows up under obi/siri.

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi, ObsessedwithSW..I tried to send a PM to you, but I'm too new, haven't posted enough to earn the right to PM yet..:( so Sorry Bek, I hope you don't mind...

I posted them under my son's id Obiwan456. There are drop down scrolls at the top of the title pages where you can specify characters you want to read about and whether it's a completed story or not, etc. Also, I do plan to begin posting my stories over here beginning with the first chapter next week. Thanks~ Obimom

10. The_Zeltron

The_Zeltron Jedi Master star 6

Sep 29, 2010
    Nice story! I really like Jace, but I don't like his mother, at all.:p

I'm glad the Senator let Qui-Gon come over, and that things are finally starting to look up for Obi-Wan.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out! Please add me to your PM list? Thanks!

11. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Ah...very emotional (I do NOT mean overly emotional) - very heartfelt and very real emotion in that post. Just excellent!

Thank you! :) I?m glad it wasn?t too emotionally charged. Even with this being an AU, I didn?t want to get too far away from Obi-Wan being himself. (Hope that made sense?)

Valiowk Lovely update, bek! At long last, we see Nyla willing to accept a compromise. It's good that Obi-Wan and Nyla have finally got a lot of the thoughts they've been suppressing from each other out in the air - only thus will they feel that they're not one-sidedly trying to accommodate the other without having their own feelings considered.

Now that they know where the other stands, they?ll be able to start moving forward...hopefully. [face_thinking]

I actually hadn't expected Obi-Wan to continue being so angry about this, but I guess it makes sense, as Obi-Wan hasn't had the long period of time his family had to accept how the incident occurred.

Obi-Wan?s memories were suppressed for the last thirteen years: defense/survival mechanism to move forward and live his life. The return of them has him dealing with them for the first time.

Hurray! I know it must be difficult for Nyla to say this, but its consequences, as opposed to Nyla chasing Qui-Gon out of the house, will definitely make an enormous difference!

She still has moving forward to do. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what happens next - are we getting to the birthday party anytime soon?

The birthday party will be coming up soon. Perhaps in the next few chapters or so.

obimom Just read the chapter on the other board, then popped over here. Excellent chapter...I'm not sure I'm right about the mysterious voice though, because he was not mentioned in this chapter unless he was hanging around the background and just hasn't been acknowledged yet.

The mysterious voice was Obi-Wan interrupting his parent?s argument. ;)

As for my Siriwans..thanks!! I do plan to post them here eventually..a lot has been going on recently in RL, and I'm trying to get familiar enough with using these boards before I start trying to post...but I'm sure my son will help when I decided to...he has experience posting stories on another forum with a similar format.

I saw that you started posting, yahoo! :D I think the siriwan readers around here, who don?t visit ff.n, will enjoy it very much.

Hi, ObsessedwithSW..I tried to send a PM to you, but I'm too new, haven't posted enough to earn the right to PM yet?so Sorry Bek, I hope you don't mind...

No problem! ;)

Gkilkenny Obi-Wan is a very compassionate young man and he has a good brain.

I think his compassion is what makes him who he is. [face_love]

He makes sense and I bet Qui-Gon is very proud of his padawan.

Indeed! :D

Excellent post bek.

Thank you! :)

The_Nerfherder Wonderful update, bek! Nice to see Nyla coming to her senses!

Thank you! :) She?s trying, for the sake of her son.

The1stJediPrincess Great update! You have portrayed Obi-Wan's feelings rather well in this.

Thank you! I?m glad it came across well. :)

obsessedwithSW Thought I?d look up your other stories as well. I?m enjoying this a lot.

Thanks ? I hope it continues to keep your interest! :) As for the other stories, there are a few I?m hoping to revise when time permits.

The_Zeltron Nice story! I really like Jace, but I don't like his mother, at all.

There seems to be a lot of mixed feelings in regard to Nyla! ;)

I'm glad the Senator let Qui-Gon come over, and that things are finally starting to look up for Obi-Wan.

She?s trying. Hopefully she will figure things out soon.

I'm looking

12. The_Zeltron

The_Zeltron Jedi Master star 6

Sep 29, 2010
    Great chapter, Bek!=D=

I loved watching Qui-Gon put it to them straight. And them finding out about Obi-Wan defending Ty. I'm really hoping Nyla will finally start to see.:)

Loved it! Thanks so much for the PM!

Hah, got the first reply.:D:p

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Progress on the home front! Obi-Wan's going to end up blessed with two loving families (at least until Anakin-time, canon-wise).
    I just wonder WHY the Force wants him to know both families...unless he's supposed to change the Order from within. [face_thinking]

When Nyla and Obi-Wan finally connect, that is going to be so sweet.

And I just [face_love] Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan together.

14. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Great update, bek! I liked the description of dinner very much - it was lovely to see the family and Qui-Gon getting along civilly. :) I was especially heartened by the family's open attitude to Obi-Wan's display of his Force abilities - it's sometimes natural to be a little wary of something you've never seen before and I would not have faulted anyone if they had been slightly uncomfortable upon seeing Obi-Wan's Force powers for the first time - so it was especially nice to see their extremely positive attitude towards this incident. :)

I liked the discussion between Qui-Gon and Nyla very much also - it's great that they've laid out their viewpoints and wishes in front of each other - this will certainly enable them to understand better how both parties have made concessions, or how some of their wishes might be asking for a bit too much than is reasonable.

Qui-Gon's idea of letting Obi-Wan teach Nyla meditation is wonderful - not only will it help both of them heal, it will also give them more opportunities to bond. :)

Love Anen's words of wisdom - they do a wonderful job of summarizing how far Obi-Wan has come so far!

I wonder what will happen to the surprise parties for Obi-Wan now that there are two separate ones being planned? Will they merge into one? :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Now everything is becoming normal, they seem to be getting through the rough times, but I hope that Qui-Gon is right and poor Obi-Wan doesn't have a bride waiting in the wings.o_O

Great post bek.=D=

16. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Great update. Enjoyed the family time with Qui-Gon and the understanding Qui-Gon reached with Obi's parents.

And, oh yes, thats just what Obi-Wan needs when he's finally coming to terms with his family and getting to see Qui-Gon..a possible marriage arrangement..:oops:

I could just picture his reaction..poor obi-wan..are you planning on tormenting him with this idea before it gets cleard up :p

17. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    =D= Nice update!!! Love how Qui-Gon stood his ground and respectfully told Obi-Wan's parents that Obi-Wan's needs to come first. Parents are sometimes so wrapped up with what they want, they forget about the child they are supposed to be protecting.

A bride for Obi-Wan...Yikes. Don't think he is ready for that.

Nice Job Bek! [:D]

18. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    =D=

wonderful chapter, love How Qui Gon and Obi are together. Hopeful Obi family don´t forget that Obi needs His Father Qui gon.

19. IvyGirl16

IvyGirl16 Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2006
    Hi Bek

I'm new to the boards, and I just discovered this story. First, I think you have a wonderful plot and excellent characterization. I may be one of the few Nyla sympathizers, but I don't think she is a bad person. She is a mother who lost her son. Ben/ Obi-Wan was her child. If she wasn't a good mother (which I think she is), his disappearance would not have affected her. Her pain and the guilt she has felt for years are not easily relieved. Could she have prevented what happened? Maybe. If she was an all-knowing superhuman, definitely. Is she being selfish by wanting Obi-Wan to herself? Yes. Nevertheless, it is understandable. I think she'll eventually come around.

One question I do have concerns the role Qui-Gon played in Obi-Wan's life prior to their partnership. Qui-Gon states, "I have had a hand in raising Obi-Wan since he was five years of age" at least twice in the story. I was wondering if you were planing to include a flashback showing what their relationship was like before they became a Master/ Padawan team. Was Qui-Gon like a paternal figure back then, as well? Obviously, if a scene like this can't be fit into the story, I understand. I was just curious.

Thank you.

20. SCL12

SCL12 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2009
    bek

This story is going great! I love it, I love it, I love it.[face_love]

21. The_Nerfherder

The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2010
  22. AZURASKYE

AZURASKYE Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2007
    Hey bek, we gettin a post on this soon?

23. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Author's Note (January 4, 2011)

RE: Somewhere in the Middle and Life Beyond the Code

I apologize for the long wait in updates. Life threw me a curve shortly after the last chapters were posted. It's been a long few months. Because of that, I haven't had time to write anything; lack of spare time and the fact that my heart hasn't been in it due to the stress and such. The situations I'm currently dealing with are taking up much of my time at the moment. I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, though. Two of the three things going on right now should come to a close or just about to a close by the end of January. The third, well, I'm not sure how long that's going to take. I'm hoping to get back to writing in February. Keep your fingers crossed. And again, I sincerely apologize for the wait.

I promise, the stories will not be abandoned: I plan to finish them both! :)

Thank you for understanding. God Bless!

Sincerely,
    Bekah

24. The1stJediPrincess

Sep 20, 2010
    Bek,
    Hope things are getting better for you. I will be praying for you! [:D]

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, we so totally understand and sympathize. Best wishes for things smoothing out or resolving themselves favorably.