main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Son of Bowie to direct World of Warcraft film

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Her opinion is informed because she's educated in and works in the field. She literally paid an institution to learn this and she is literally paid to work in this field. That makes her opinion informed. Can you say the same for yourself?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    First, an informed opinion is of course more valuable than an uninformed one. I mean, duh. And she's a massive Warcraft fan and let's say her background (that I'm of course not going to disclose without permission) makes her very knowledgeable in the intricacies of CG. Maybe your opinion is equally informed in this very specific issue, of that I have no idea, but you're the one throwing "thats yer opinon lulz" around, not me. I've never disparaged whatever you might think.

3. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I have a background in the arts, and my lady wife works for Blizzard. My degree is only a baccalaureate and I lack training as a computer artist, but as a former sculptor and painter and aspiring make-up effects technician, I think I have some measure of credibility in discussing the strengths and weaknesses of visual imagery.

None of my posts in this thread have suggested that anyone's opinion is not valid or open for discussion. Gunray wrote: "don't hate on the CG, hate on the bigwig producer or whoever in charge decided that this movie should be made this way without making up its mind on what style it is." I responded with a different viewpoint: "The decision on the style looks pretty clear to me. Lifelike photorealism with a penchant for cartoonish exaggeration in the design. No need to "hate" anyone for making that choice." And for some reason Gunray then became angry with me, and here you folks are defending her right to get testy. Whatevs.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    She works for Blizzard in TX?

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    First off: I'm not a big gamer. Most video game adaptations I'm indifferent to. I've never played WoW and don't really plan on it at this point.

But, I think Draka looks amazing. Can't wait to see more of it. Some of it seems…ehh not sure about it, but trailers by nature take scenes and place them out of context so I want to see everything together as a story.

In Jones,ILM, and Weta Workshop I trust.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ya'll done pissing on each other? Anyway, looks good, gonna see it.

Juliet316 and Hogarth Wrightson like this.
  7. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Yeppers.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    You know, I wrote a full response to this but then I realized that none of it matters. I'm not here to defend my career or knowledge, and this seems to be one of those things where someone wants to argue no matter what. And I honestly don't know what he's arguing. I'm not here to assume that my education/career makes me some great god of opinions.

Also what does your wife have to do with anything? You know the difference between Austin Blizz and Irvine Blizz. You know that has nothing to do with the film.

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    This is ridiculous. I explained my qualifications in the visual arts because I was directly asked to do so. I expressed opinions counter to yours and have been, for some reason I don't understand, sharply criticized for it. I don't want to "argue no matter what", I want the freedom to express a sincere opinion without being accused of shutting down discussion. I never did anything of the sort.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I would just like to state that I'm not informed about anything but the trailer just looks like a mash-up of one of those cheap Immortals-level fantasy movies and a Clash of Clans commercial.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think one of the things about this isn't that it's necessarily bad CGI, because they clearly wanted to emulate the Orc animation in the game. In that they did a good job. The problem is that's like saying you're going to do Majora's Mask with Link et al. as live actors but the mask and all creatures look like they stepped out of the game. This is not the fault of the animators; it's the fault of the people calling the shots at the top.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think the funniest part is that the female Orc looks like a woman in prosthetic makeup, surrounded by all the male Orcs that are just giant CGI cartoons with inflated torsos.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    She's a scarecrow

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Lord Vivec like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought I read somewhere that Jones was incorporating more practical effects to this film, but maybe I'm mistaken. Regardless, it looks good.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Do you mean Garona Halforcen?

The half-orc?

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's possible he also means Draka, who IIRC is still full-orc (and awesome)...

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah absolutely, because she like Garona looks like a human in makeup.

dp, are you drunk? Or just being silly?

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I didn't have any problems with the animation, so I've no clue which "female orc" he's referring to being 100% unaware of anything relating to Warcraft-lore.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, we both did hardcore raiding before EZ mode came in at the end of TBC. Yes, we both are L337 p4l4d1ns (lolret) etc etc.

But there's only one orc in the trailer who meets Havac's description, and being able to show off that you knew who Durotan's mate was in the trailer (He literally has Thrall in the palm of his hand lololol) was useful but it was just that. Showing off.

Come on now, we both agree that the armour on the humans looks fantastic, Medivh will probably be amazing, and hopefully there's not one single UD warlock in the entire bloody film. OK?

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Ha ha, I remember your guild-wide kill-on-sight policy pertaining to UD rogues. Did that apply to UD locks, too?

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    How the **** would I know, nerd?

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ugh UD rogues. Even worse.

We really just didn't like any of the UD. But no, the policy was hunt and kill on UD rogues.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I main an UD rogue :)

Coruscant likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And back in the day you'd have been beaten silly by a human ret pally, SLG, albeit sadly :(. BoF! PvP medal! JoL! SoC! Flying pally hammer!

I loved when Ret was at its peak in late TBC and I had full S2 Gladiator gear and Torch of the Damned. Fases were stoved in for Jesus the Light!

25. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I played back in the day too. But tbh I never got into the pvp or raiding. :(