main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Son of Bowie to direct World of Warcraft film

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I used to be quite good at PvP. I didn't mind arena, it was necessary for the good PvP kit but battlegrounds was where it was at for me. A good player, thinking strategically and being calm in chat, could lead a small party with her/him into the opponents base and disrupt their flow enough that the rest of your side caught up. Being a ret pally with full S2, a powerful weapon like Torch, I could often take on 2-3 filthy Horde at once and win, because I was stupidly un-killable. The burst! The burst was insane.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Well that looked like crap. I couldn't even finish watching the trailer! How have I ever endured three Lord Of The Rings movies?

It really is high time for the fantasy genre to reinvent itself.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

High time for Fantasy? Already done!

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, no, no, it's time for space opera.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Some new news concerning the WoW franchise in general.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Will anyone really be shocked by that though?

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No I fully except it to get panned by a wide swath of critics. This film's success always depended on genre fans and fans of the game. Is that enough for a hit? I don't know.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It doesn't suck.

If I have one criticism it's the pseudo-fantasy speak that is stilted. The content of the dialogue itself is not bad, it's just that delivery is like a new tv show where the actors have not settled into their characters enough. The best of the actors was the character Lothar.

The imagery, the artwork, the animation, all of that is cool. The cities, the towns, the buildings and especially the griffon are all pretty sweet.

I loved all the mage stuff. Floating, glowing magic rune sigils make my day.

The orc horde is not mindless. There is a little bit of politics and rebellion and they don't all see eye to eye. Basically they are honor bound warriors led by evil.

It's a tad messy in the beginning, but it's good fun throughout.

Chancellor_Ewok and FatBurt like this.
  10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Agreed, I've watched it a couple of time now via er... and I've enjoyed it.

I'd be quite happy for there to be a sequel

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The film seems to be killing it overseas too. That might mean enough for a sequel.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I went and saw it last night, and I enjoyed it. I think they relied a little too much the audience having played the games, but it felt like they were trying hard to make something that felt substantial.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It was a mess, plot wise.

Notwithstanding the key stuff they missed, like explaining clearly that Khadgar was the Kirin Tor's intended successor as Guardian of Tirisfall after Medivh; Khadgar being Medivh's apprentice, or their final battle aging Khadgar prematurely it relied on the audience knowing the Lore and being ok with the lore changes. Like how Garona Halforcen kills Llane Wrynn. Like the implication of Sargeras and no sign of Mannoroth.

I mean, sure, there was actually a murlock as they rode to Goldshire (though why was the King there at not in Stormwind keep?!) and Khadgar legitimately polymorphed a guard. That was cool. But it was just action setpieces with that Metzen pro-Horde stench all over it. The orcs were more engaging, especially Durotan and Ogrim, than any human.

Plus Glenn Close played Aegwynn in all but name?!

Yoda's_Roomate likes this.
  14. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    My sentiments more or less exactly. I thought the movie started out very well, and then it became a big mess, and the whole Aegwynn thing I have no idea why they did that because they did not explain one thing about it, the whole Medhiv being possesed was not really explained. They just left a bunch of stuff in the air and it made no sense, and the movie lost me towards the end. I hated the Garona, I think she absolutely sucked.

I loved the orcs, all of it. They look fantastic. I don't know that I want to see a sequel, but if you played WoW you're gonna like the movie.

Oh, and I thought the Blood Elves looked horrible! They're supposed to be like really good looking creatures and they look like monsters!

And that mage from the Kirin Tor, was he supposed to be Antonidas? Or just some generic mage?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The cursed Belfs are monsters. Down with the Horde!