main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Son of Skywalker Forum -for all Luke fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Jedi_Emilie, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Emilie

Jedi_Emilie Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2004
    I have been looking for a forum for Luke Skywalker fans for some time now, but havent found any so I decided to start a small Star Wars forum of my own. Anyone is welcome to become a member and aspecially if you have a soft spot for Luke Skywalker and/or Mark Hamill!

Even if the forum currently is very new and still under construction it is very enjoyable, so please take a look:
    http://jediemilie.proboards62.com/index.cgi?

If you join now you will take part in deciding this brand new forums future as the first members will set the tone (a nice one I hope). :)

There is of course also room for discussions beyond Star Wars and making new friends in social threads.

Welcome!!

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    A very pretty choice for a template and the background is very nice.

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    It's a nice beginning so far. What I would even reccomend is making a "Luke Skywalker" website to go along with that. I have noticed that newer forums that are not attacthed to a website do not do as well. And, I think it is a good idea considering that your forum is about one single person.

4. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    Thank you Sara_Kenobi and jedimasterbac for the feedback! :)

I would love to have a Luke Skywalker website as well, it's a very good idea. I am quite the newbie when it comes to computers, but I will definately consider it. It would, however, probably take some time for me to gather up interesting material -I would want it to be a at least a little unique even if that's really difficult when it comes to Star Wars. I'll start the process and see where it takes me.

//Jedi_Emilie

5. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Awesome! If you need any help down the line with imformation for a site, let me know and I will help you! :D

6. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    Thanks,:) I might actually take you up on that somewhere along the slippery slope of sitemaking!

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Very nice, very nice color scheme and forum.

Like that picture of Luke, maybe you can fit two into that heading, would make it look a bit more balanced. Great work!

8. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    Thank you heels1785!

I totally agree about the heading! I'm going to need to find a picture that looks really good with the first one and that might be tricky, but I'll try. For now I made the picture a little bit smaller, but I honestly don't think that it made any difference...

9. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I think a good idea for pictures in the header would be to have three Luke pictures. You keep the one you have now from ANH, then before that one you have baby Luke from ROTS, then you get one from TESB and one from ROTJ. It would be like a progression through the films of Luke. But, that's just my sappy idea....

10. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    That's a great idea, jedimasterbac! I've made a version of your suggestion as the main header, but with a different picture from ANH. The old picture is now the header for the Luke section. I also have picture of Mark Hamill as header in the Mark section.

Thanks for the idea! Since I'm such a newbie it's a real newbie header, but as I'm learning I hope to make everything look better and better. :)

//Jedi_Emilie

11. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    That's pretty much how I pictured it. I think it looks good for a newbie [face_tee_hee]), and with some practice I bet it can be even better!

12. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    Thanks, jedimastebac! :)

Since I last posted in here I've updated the forum a little. The grey rebel symbols are new and there are some new smileys for example. Just little things like that.

Ok, so I'm again in need of some feedback. I've been thinking about adding a Luke Skywalker fan fiction section. I don't have much experience with fan fiction, not being a fan fic writer myself. Do you think it could work?
    I would of course have to work out specific rules and such, but I think it really could add a lot to the forum and make it more interesting to join.

//Jedi_Emilie

13. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    From my experiences with a Yoda fan fic section, there aren't a lot of people who only write character-specific fan fic. So, you have to go around and find fics that you think would be good on your site, and then ask the author for permission to post it. Also, no offense to those who write fan fic, but in my opinion, it's really hard to find good fan fic that flows well and doesn't sound like it was written by a 12 year old.

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    The entire site is very nice. I do hope you keep this going.

15. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback YodaJeff and Sara_Kenobi! :)

Concerning the fan fic section: The reason I considered such a section in the first place was that I think some of my members might be interested in writing fan fics themselves and post them for each other to read. Maybe it doesn't matter much if the quality isn't great, as long as it amuses the members? I havent decided yet and feedback is more than welcome!

//Jedi_Emilie

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    For some advertising, I suggest posting replies to some stories here in the Beyond the Saga forum with that link in your signature. Don't advertise your site in that forum. It's just that there's a lot of Luke Skywalker writer's in that forum. If they see the link in your signature, a few might check out your site. You never know. Know what I mean?

17. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004

Yes I do, thanks for the tip!

//Jedi_Emilie

18. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    Nice so far. I think you could make a banner to go where Son of Skywalker is at the top with a fancy font. Things just look better that way. I do agree about having a site. Bravenet is one of the best hosts I've come across.

From my experience with fan fiction, it does take a long time to get anyone to post anything. I do agree with YodaJeff, a lot of fan fiction does read poorly (I'm probably guilty of that myself, as I don't have much time to work on mine at the moment), but there are also a lot of gems out there as well, written by people who are more serious about writing.

If you do have a site, I'd suggest you'd get some people to swap links with you and I do know some people who write Luke stories over at Jedi Girl, so here's the link to that: Jedi Girl

19. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Like mine :p

20. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    Thanks again for excellent feedback!

I agree with you enimar, about a banner. I'll probably make one eventually, but right now I'm kinda swamped.

I've asked my members about the fan fic section and i think I'm going to start one and see how it goes. Just for the members to enjoy... (and if they don't it really isn't a huge deal i'lll just remove the section or let it be)

EDIT: Does anyone know a really good drooling smiley, that it would be ok to use? My forum is in need of one, right now we only have two kinda creepy ones.

//Jedi_emilie

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Perhaps do a search? It will give you several choices to choose from. :)

22. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004

Check out the new look of the forum: http://jediemilie.proboards62.com/index.cgi
    Wonderful new graphics by reflections anda new category called "Skywalker Fandom".

//Jedi_Emilie

23. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    VERY nice, Emilie! I really like the new look of it, and the banner is very well put together. There is some good Luke Skywalker fan fiction on TF.N, would you like me to email the authors and ask them if they would allow you to post them in your fan fiction section with proper credit?

24. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    This site has plenty of free downloadable fonts you could use to make banner with.

Best Fonts

25. Jedi_Emilie

Aug 19, 2004
    VERY nice, Emilie! I really like the new look of it, and the banner is very well put together.

Thanks! :) I can't take credit for the graphics (as I mentioned before, they're made by Reflections, link on the forum), but I am really proud of how the forum is looking and working. The members are wonderful, I'm just hoping that some more fans will find it and join.

There is some good Luke Skywalker fan fiction on TF.N, would you like me to email the authors and ask them if they would allow you to post them in your fan fiction section with proper credit?

Hmmmm, I'm not entirely sure, [face_thinking] I would really prefer if all the writers were members since I don't have an archive or a web site but an interactive forum. It would, however, be wonderful with more fan fics. Thanks a million for offering, but I would really love if they would become members and posted it themselves. :)

//Jedi_Emilie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.