main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Son of Unveiled Secrets." AU Drama. Obi-Wan, L/M. Chapter #43 Thanks for the nom!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Pilot, Jun 24, 2013.

1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Little Luke is so cute!!:) I love his interaction with Obi-Wan, very father/son. All those women after Obi-Wan was very funny. [face_laugh] But, I have to say, they all have very good taste!

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    looks like Luke has a crush already, how cute [face_love] later he goes for a bossy red head ;) More soon

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Got caught up with the last two updates. Great job with Obi-Wan and Luke, who's just as adorable as a toddler as he is as an adult. In a different way, of course. ;)

This is a great story to read after finishing Kenobi. :)

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Nyota's Heart: Well, what a shock to find out I knew you! [face_laugh] Thanks for reading!

taramidala: I want to adopt Luke, too! Thanks!

JediMaster_Jen: I've always wanted to see that bond between Ben and Luke from the beginning. Thank you for reading!

JediFalcon: Bossy redhead, indeed! [face_laugh]I appreciate you reading, thanks!

JediMara77: Thanks, girl! How was the Kenobi book? It's not at my library yet. *sigh*

5. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Chapter #4

Ben wandered into the kitchen and poured himself a cup of caf. He chuckled remembering the excited look on Luke’s face as he opened his life day present. The skyhopper was a huge hit and the child had insisted on taking it to bed with him. The last image Ben had was of the small boy hugging the model to him like a plush toy. You are getting sentimental in your old age, Kenobi.

It was then that he noticed the message indicator on the comm. unit. It was late, but Ben decided to play back the missive anyway. He paused mid-sip as the reflection of Bail Organa came into view.

Greetings, I hope this message finds you and the boy well.”

Ben placed his cup on the counter and sat down in front of the view screen. “This can’t be good.”

“I have received a message from our friend in exile and have been asked to forward this information on to you. There has been a disturbance in the Force and our friend has knowledge about a youngling from the inner core.”

“What in Kessel does this have to do with me?”

“This youngling is pivotal to the success of certain Imperial plans to school her into a powerful weapon. She must be removed before these plans can be implemented. The child was kidnapped a week ago, but the incident has been covered up by local and intergalactic agencies. It has been decided that you will travel to Coruscant and retrieve the child, returning her to a safe house where her parents are waiting for her.”

Ben gaped. “I am hardly in a position to go gallivanting off planet. I have my own child to raise.”

“I know this is inconvenient and even risky to the plans laid out previously. But our friend insists that you are the one for this mission. He has foreseen it. I have seen to it that funds have been made available to you and the attachment to this message contains all the information you will need, along with documents to enable you to go planet side.”

Ben closed his eyes and sighed.

Be well, my friend. And may the Force be with you.”

“Not grotty likely.”

Ben pushed up from the chair and stalked back to the kitchen, pouring the rest of his caf into the sink. He reached up to the cabinet over the cooling unit and retrieved a bottle of Corellian whiskey, sloshing it into his cup. Just when things were starting to fall into place. Luke’s elementary instructions in the Force were progressing extremely well. He, himself, had finally managed to garner the skills necessary to run the moisture farm and would even turn a profit this year. How was he supposed to put all that on hold so that he could run Master Yoda’s little errand?

“School into a powerful weapon…” Ben muttered. He felt an odd tingle shoot up his spine and failed to extinguish a shudder. So it was all right for Luke to be turned into a powerful weapon, but not this unknown child! He threw back the glass and felt the fiery liquid burn his throat. Coughing once, he poured another glass full and downed it again. Their plans to shape Luke into some kind of killing machine turned his stomach cold.

Ben tossed the empty glass into the sink and capped the bottle. Yes, he would do the bidding of the green-skinned curmudgeon, but he would not raise Luke Skywalker in the cold tradition of the Old Republic Jedi. He may have crossed the line and formed an attachment with the child, but so what?

“Perhaps attachments will be the saving grace of the future Jedi Order,” he barked to the four walls surrounding him.” If they’d been allowed, perhaps Anakin would not have fallen and the whole galaxy wouldn’t been in chaos. Ben crossed to the table and sank into his chair.

But he knew the truth. There had always been a darkness to his padawan. He had wanted to affirm Qui-Gon’s belief in the boy so badly that he chose not to see what was actually nestled within—fear, anger and eventually—hate. He had tried to see Anakin’s darker emotions as something that could be overcome, conquered even. Failure would only be an acknowledgement that his beloved Master had been wrong. So, he had done everything in his power to advance Qui-Gon’s legacy. He thought he was doing the right thing…he hoped he was.

Ben swallowed against the lump lodged in his throat and padded to the bedroom next to his own. Luke lay blissfully asleep, curled around his toy. A smiled tugged at Ben’s lips as he stood in the doorway. “Sleep well, youngling.” It was so easy to see his mother’s goodness in him. But even Padme could not have saved Anakin. The entire endeavor was doomed from the start.

And just when had he gone from guardian and teacher to…well, father? Ben ran a hand slowly through his beard. Was it the first time he had stared into the wide, knowing eyes of an infant barely a day old? Or had it been a gradual thing, a medley of sleepless nights, blue-milk kisses and trusting hugs? His jaw clenched as he realized something for the first time: he would not allow anyone to send Luke out to battle the worst Sith in the history of the Universe alone. Not even the solling former Grand Master of the solling Jedi Order.

“Not grotty likely.”

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    JP! Can I guess who the youngling is? Does her first name start with M? [face_laugh] [face_dancing] Sleeping Luke just too adorable. Ben's protestations -- too late, :p he makes an adorable daddy. serendipityaey -- hon, you need to read this [face_batting] [:D]

serendipityaey likes this.
  7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Good for you Ben Kenobi. I disliked the no attachment rule. Nice post.

8. Nightvision91

Nightvision91 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2013
    Awesome update. Nice to see how Old Ben is raising Luke. I agree with Jedi_Lover that it is good to see Ben breaking away from the old ways of the Jedi.

9. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    So sweet to see Ben realize that he has become Luke's father and not just his guardian and teacher. :)

10. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Love it...this is so sweet I loved to see Ben raising Luke....it is scary when you think about it (the killing machine comment), because Ben and Yoda did expect that of Luke in Jedi

11. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Wonderful! Loved Obi-Wan's realization, and also that there might be a little girl entering the picture. :)

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yuppers, leave Camie in the dust [face_laugh] ;)

13. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Thanks for bringing me here Nyota's Heart !! And thanks for sharing such a wonderful portrayal of Obi Jade_Pilot ! What a wonderful surprise treat. Obi would make a totally awesome daddy, I've always argued and he shows it here. Love seeing his good heart and abundant caring shining through! Just so sweet! Great job! Tag if you can

14. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Love the comment about the eyes! And loved the waitress flirting with him :D Though if it was me, the fact that he had a baby would make me want him that much more [face_love]

15. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks Everyone for reading! [:D] I appreciate your comments so much.

Nyota's Heart: I'm not telling who the youngling is.... [face_mischief] oh wait, I am!!!! And Camie is not going to go so quietly into the night...

Jedi_Lover: I HATE the no attachment rule, always have. They're Jedi not monks!!!

Nightvision91: Jedi_Lover is a great person to agree with! Her FF rocks. Ben will be less recognizable as we go...but he'll still be our Obi-Wan. [face_love]

JediMaster_Jen: Yep, ole' Ben is smitten. It's all over, but there are more surprises to come. Heh heh!

EmeraldJediFire: It always bothered me that Yoda and Ben attempted to have Luke kill his own father without telling him the truth. I want Ben to experience the love of a child in a way he's never had the opportunity to do before. It becomes complicated, but real. Life is messy.

taramidala: I'm glad you're enjoying it and you have anticipated my next move, you next move guesser, you!

serendipityaey: I'm so glad you're here! Does that make Nyota's heart my agent????? And I agree, there's nothing more attractive than a man with a baby. [face_love]

And....it's time for chapter #5.....

16. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Chapter #5

On the surface, it seemed like a simple plan.

Rent a ship in Mos Eisley, fly to Coruscant, break into Palpatine’s Imperial center, find a female youngling around 3-4 years of age, convince aforementioned youngling to trust him enough to leave the palace and travel to a planet he’s never heard of and return the child to her parents. No problem at all.

“But why?”

Ben turned and kneeled eye-level with his charge. “We’ve been over this a number of times already, Luke.” He ran his palm over the boy’s silky mane, his hand coming to rest on his shoulder. “I’ll only be gone about a week on business. While I’m off-planet, you’ll be staying at the Inn with Dama and Coolie.”

“Not that.” Luke set his jaw and folded his arms across his chest. “Why can’t I come with you, Uncle Ben? I could be your helper and you’ve always said what a big help I am.”

“Yes,” said Ben, “you are a help to me, son, but this time I have to travel alone. The best thing you can do to help me is behave while in Dama’s care.”

“But why?”

“Because, Luke, the ship I am renting won’t hold me, you and the cargo I have to pick up. We have limited funds available and must—”

“—be good stewards of the ‘sources we have,” mimed Luke.

“Resources, youngling, but yes—we must be good stewards.” Ben stared into the luminous blue eyes filling with tears and felt his throat tighten. Gathering Luke into his arms, he held him tight and sent all the love and comfort he could through the Force. “I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Promise?”

Ben arched an eyebrow and tweaked the child’s nose. “Have I ever failed to keep an obligation?”

“Depends. What’s a oba-gation?”

“Obligation. It means to follow through on something; to fulfill a promise.”

“Ohhhh,” said Luke, “you mean to make book on.”

Ben sighed. “Yes, and that insight of yours is just one more reason I have to regret raising you on a planet dominated by the Hutts.”

Luke nestled back into Ben’s arms and whispered, “You’ve never been gone so long before.”

“I know,” said Ben. He kissed Luke’s damp cheek and then the top of his head. “Don’t think I won’t miss you as well. Now, where’s your bag?”

Luke pointed towards the table.

“And your hat?”

Grimacing, Luke pulled it from his back pocket.

“Good, now I’ll get mine and we’ll be off.”

Luke slumped to the table and whipped the bag over his shoulder. “Will you bring me back something?”

“Such as?”

“Something awesome.”

“Young man, awesome is my specialty.”

Ben checked the fuel consumption rate of the rented Z-95 Headhunter for the fourth time since he had come into range of the planet. He’d had no trouble accessing the funds that Bail had transferred into his sad little account. Not feeling an ounce of guilt, he planned to use part of the funds for the farm and some towards a payment for Dama and Coolie for watching Luke while he was away. There had been one more attempt on Luke’s part to change his mind, but Dama quickly understood what was going on and distracted Luke by suggesting that he say goodbye so that they would have time to visit Tosche Station, one of his favorite places while in town.

Of course the hardest part for Ben was leaving Luke behind, knowing that if this whole thing went wrong, he’d never see the boy again.

“This is Imperial Center. Please identify yourself.”

In his best outer rim accent, Ben replied, “Imperial Center, this is Owen Lars out of Tatooine on the merchant vessel, Bellowing Bantha.”

Please transmit ship ID codes, Bantha.”

“Transmitting codes.”

Ben waited, knowing the codes Bail had provided would not pose a problem. It was entering the palace, kidnapping the child and leaving without getting caught that concerned him. He checked the fuel consumption rate for the fifth time and began to drum his fingers along the command console.

“Bellowing Bantha, what is the nature of your visit?”

“Business, I need a few droids for the farm.”

Pause. “Long way to come for droids.”

Ben cleared his voice. “Tired of the bloah the Jawas keep trying to pass off as tech.”

He heard a light chuckle and then: “Okay, Bellowing Bantha, you are clear for landing at dock 864c with a clearance time of 3 days. Please follow all landing protocols and procedures. Imperial Center out.”

He was in! He was actually going to Coruscant. How long had it been? Four years since he had walked the halls of the Jedi Temple? Ben began the ship’s descent as per protocol, pulling into the docking queue behind a Corellian freighter. He was immediately blocked in by a passport ship scowling from behind him. Four years since he had last faced Anakin and left him for dead near the edge of the molten lava on Mustafar.

Ben edged up to the front of the queue and waited for the docking signal. Was Anakin—no Darth Vader now, was he on planet? He had not contemplated the fact that he might be in close proximity to his former padawan. What if Vader detected him? He would have to keep his shields taut throughout the mission. Ben noticed the docking signal and pushed the stick forward, decelerating while he cut the repulsorlift generator. The ship rocked against the turbulence of breaking through the atmosphere and then leveled out. He idled down and floated into the hanger. From there it was simply taxiing into the landing dock and shutting down.

Step one complete.

Ben sat at the outdoor café table savoring the final bite of his spicy Ahrisa entree. Stars, it had been too long since he’d had something as delectable to eat as this. He placed the fork back on his empty plate and let the last of the seasonings explode against his tongue.

“Another Wrooian ale, sir?”

“No, no thank you. Just the check.” Ben pressed the napkin to his lips and pulled out some credits. “Is the Corellian manufacturing center still on the other side of the palace?”

The Gand waitress made change at the table and tucked her datapad in her apron. “Not since the Emperor decided to move all independent businesses away from the main structure. Too much of an eye sore he said. Had Lord Vader take care of the transition two years ago.” The waitress shivered. “I for one didn’t shed a tear when Vader was sent to work with Tarkin, guy gives me the creeps.”

“You are not alone,” said Ben. “So Vader is off-planet, then?”

“Yep, good riddance, I say.”

“Thank you, my dear.”

The waitress scampered off to a table of Devaronians.

Ben downed the last of his ale and placed the glass on the table. Time to consider step two of this harebrained plan. No one knew better than he the elaborate maze within the palace. The Grand Corridor easily accessed most of the public levels inside, but it wasn’t as if he’d be able to waltz down the main hall and break into the guarded main structure that lead to the residential living quarters. No, Bale had had a better idea.

Ben entered the public entrance to the palace traipsing lightly on the marble tiles that echoed with each step. He continued through to the Grand Corridor and paused, taking in the Emperor’s renovations; the towering wall of black stone and red windowed glass. Huge ch’hala trees lined the walkway, changing color at the vibration of each sound. “Well…I guess there’s no accounting for taste.”

Entering the public refresher, Ben pulled a senate robe from his pack and quickly donned his disguise. He pocketed the fake ID card and placed his pack in a storage unit behind a trash bin. The lift to the upper levels of the central tower was just opening as he exited the fresher. Dodging a tour group, he ducked into the lift and presented his card to the droid which swiped the card and handed it back.

“What floor, Mr. Systacian?”

“Seventeen.”

The lift began to move and Ben stepped to the left, pulling his hood forward. So far so good. The apparatus toned and the doors opened.

“Good day, sir,” said the droid.

Ben stepped out and strode to Bail’s office. He swiped the ID card and was in. Now to find this mysterious youngling. Bale was onsite in a senate meeting, which would lend credence to his innocence once the child’s disappearance was discovered. Ben fired up Bale’s datapad and scanned the areas where someone could be secretly detained. He blew out a breath and laid the datapad down on the desk. This girl could be anywhere. It would be so much easier to use the Force and with Vader absent…

Taking a deep breath, he lowered his shields and reached out, attempting to find someone that fit the girl’s signature in the Force. He sensed fear and paused, only to realize that most everyone in the palace was in fear. He touched the mind of several guards struggling to stay awake. A cook horrified with the lack of Alderaanian white sauce that was unavailable until next shipment. A few Moffs hoping to usurp Grand Moff Tarken and… a small unique spark in the Force. Ben focused in on the distant glow and pulled. He felt a gasp in the Force as someone tried to avoid him. Got you!

He eased back and sensed the room around her. Not a detention area, but a domicile. She was in the residential section near the library not far from where he was. Another lift ride and he was standing in the corridor between the library and the living quarters. Ben placed a hand on the outer door and closed his eyes. He sensed a diplomat with his female assistant from Dantooine. Moving further down, he turned a corner and saw two Red Guards standing on either side of a door numbered 117.

Red Guards? This child must be more important than he had previously thought. The first guard immediately sped toward Ben with his weapon drawn. Ben threw him against the wall with the Force and pushed the second guard into the door, opening it inward. He dragged both unconscious bodies into the room and closed the door behind him.

“Hello?” Ben scanned the enormous sitting room and then walked to the fresher. Nothing. Was this perhaps a decoy? He reached out again with his senses and felt the Force spark again. “Hello?” He entered the empty bedroom and then went straight to the closet. As he opened the door, he heard a small whimper from the back.

“Hey, hey it’s okay, youngling.” Kneeling down, he reached his hand out towards the small figure quivering in the shadows. “My name is Ben, what’s yours?”

The young girl buried her face in her arms.

“I’m here to help. Your parents are waiting for you and I’m going to take you to them.”

The red-gold head popped up, exposing a pale oval face. “You are?”

“Yes, youngling. Come on out now and let’s see about getting you out of here.”

“You promise?”

He smiled. “I do, indeed promise, child. And I never break a promise.”

She hesitated a moment and then said, “I’m scared.”

“You’ve every right to be frightened. But I’m the one who is going to make this right. You can trust me, dear.”

The girl scooted to the front of the closet and looked up into Ben’s face. “You have ginger hair.”

Ben chuckled. “As do you, youngling.” He paused for a moment taking in her solemn green eyes. There was, indeed, something different about the girl. Perhaps this was not such a ridiculous exercise after all. In fact, he sensed that there was more to this small child than he had anticipated. “Are you in good health? Do you need any refreshment or the fresher?”

She shook her head, grasping Ben’s hand. They walked to the door, her eyes never straying from his face.

Ben paused at the entryway and reached out with the Force. “All clear. Let’s see if we can go quickly and quietly, all right?”

“Mara.”

“Hmmm?”

“My name is Mara.”

“Please to meet you, Mara. Now, off we go.”

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Aww, Ben with Luke was sweet but Ben with Mara Yes! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Wonderful!!!!!

Gemma and Random Comments like this.
  18. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Sure hope they get out of there without any problems. [face_worried] Looking forward to Luke and Mara meeting. :)

19. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    This fic is brilliant, Jade_Pilot! Great concept and I love the way you've written Ben. Little Luke is just so adorable, and interesting to see Mara in the mix as well!

Gemma, Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    *Tries to refrain from jumping up and down while clapping* (I am at work after all ;) )
    I love that Obi-wan has been sent to rescue Mara! <3 I can't wait to see how that works out for everyone.
    Your young Luke is so cute and I love how Ben is raising him.
    I'm really excited to read more!

I'm sorry I've missed a few updates, things have been busy, but thank you for the PMs. [:D]

21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    "But why?"

Of course that would be Luke's comment! Loving this story! Sorry I missed an update - went off to Florida and back again to New England. I did wave as we flew overhead, though.

Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  22. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Ah, finally got to reading this. Bravo...Mara is so cute as a child (squeals) It's nice to see her as one, hopefully she'll get to have a more normal childhood than what Palpatine had in store for her.

23. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Loved it! But I wonder: will Ben get Mara back to her parents as Bail instructed? :)

24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    "Awesome is my specialty.". Lol! I love that line. Great update!

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, I have to wonder what exactly will be the "something awesome" Luke requested. Heh.

Obi-Wan asking Mara if she needed to use the bathroom was hilarious. Even though he's raised Luke for four years, he still seems like he has no idea what to do with children at times.