main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Son of Unveiled Secrets." AU Drama. Obi-Wan, L/M. Chapter #43 Thanks for the nom!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Pilot, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Honestly... I have to say I kind of hope it throws her off the deep end. [face_devil]

I mean...no, Obi-Wan needs some kind of happiness...somewhere...

...but plot demands conflict...? ;)

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Even though I have mixed emotions over Padme, I always like when fanfic brings up that Luke is like her. I like how Sola saw her sister in Luke. Like the others posting here, I hope this change in Sola is permanent and that she doesn't become a detriment to her nephew, Ben and Mara. I love this story so much, gal, and am so glad you're writing it. I've missed you so much!! [:D]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Yep, romantic... the hopeless kind, especially when it comes to our Obi-Wan!

Those scratches sounded horrible! Hope things get better :)

I love exploring the sister dynamic - so much - I used it in my own fic and I'm enjoying reading it here.

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read my story. This one has been dear to me for a very long time and I had to put it on hold for school. [:D]

serendipityaey: You never know....I always like Obi-Wan stories where he experiences a love interest. You just never know... [face_mischief] Thanks!

ginchy lee: Hey girl! You and me, both about the mixed emotions, but I also like the idea that Luke had Padme's temperament with a little mix of Anakin's love of flying fast. He may be a farmboy, but he has that adventurous side, as well. Thanks for your words. I miss you, too! [:D]

Jabari: Turn from the dark side, now!!! [face_devil] I did think about going that way with Sola...for a little while. I mean, it's hard not to love a completely mad character! Let me know what you think about the way I went with Sola. Yes, conflict is necessary, but even a Jedi needs a bit of happiness, eh? ;)

Nyota's Heart: Thank you! We just have to wait and see what Sola does now!! @};-

Falcon: Yep, here's more and thanks for reading and posting! We'll see about a permanent change in Sola. [:D]

Random Comments and Jabari like this.
  5. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Chapter #18

Ben heard the front door open and rose to his feet. “So?”

Sola Naberrie dropped her carryall and keys on the foyer table and closed the door. “In spite of the vote, Imperial forces will begin a substantial increase on Naboo beginning next week.”

Ben swore, dropping his head to his chest.

“They’ll be using Naboo as a central station for the outer rim planets. Seems the rebel base found on Triffis was too isolated to notice until it was well established. Palpatine hopes a second Imperial base will give him more range in controlling the insurgents.”

Ben stood, crossing to the foyer, “What was the vote?”

“Does it matter?” She took off her coat, hanging it on the hall tree. “Ben, what are we going to do?”

He reached up and squeezed Sola’s shoulder. “We’ll think of something…we always do.”

Jobal poked her head in from the porch. “So?”

Sola entered the living area and shook her head.

“Kriff.”

“Mother!” Sola bit back a laugh.

“I can’t help it,” barked Jobal. “This solling emperor will be the death of me.” She turned and called out towards the dock, “Who’s hungry?”

Seventeen year-old Luke Skywalker bounced into the room, planting a kiss on his grandmother’s cheek. “When am I not hungry, Nani?”

Jobal called out to the others. “The rest of you better hurry, or Luke will demolish the entire spread.”

Ruwee appeared with one arm around Sola’s younger daughter, Pooja and one arm around Mara. “Quick! Hide the pastries, wife!”

“Too late,” said Luke through a half-full mouth and a heavily laden plate.

Mara raced into the kitchen, punching the teen in the arm as she entered. “You are such a hutt!”

“Shutta, sweets patogga,” countered Luke.

Ben followed Sola into the dining room, pulling out a chair for her. “Basic, please.”

Pooja flounced to the table and dropped into a seat. “You’ve been saying that for years, Uncle Ben and he still speaks Huttese all the time. Which is really strange ‘cause he’s lived here three times as long as he ever lived on Tatooine.”

Sola lifted a brow at Ben as he sat next to her. “She’s right, you know.”

“You’d think he’d be spouting Gungan by now,” said Pooja.

Luke swallowed. “Yousa bombad nutsen, Pooja ladee.”

“Oh, great,” said Pooja, “he’s tri-lingual. Now he can beg for food in three languages.”

Sola looked back towards the porch. “Where’s Ryoo?”

“Tying up the boat,” said Ruwee. He sat down at the head of the table and cleared his throat. “So?”

Sola looked at Ben and then her father, shaking her head.

Ruwee grimaced. “How soon?
    “One week,” said Sola.

“What happens in a week?” asked Sola’s oldest daughter, Ryoo, entering from the living room.

Jobal handed out several plates of food. “Eat first and then we’ll talk.”

“Works for me,” said Luke, grabbing a glass of bribb juice and settling into a chair next to Pooja.

Ryoo rolled her eyes. “Must you always feed?”

“Always. I’m a growing boy.”

Pooja grabbed a para-roll from Luke’s plate and stuffed it into her mouth.

“Oh nice, cuz,” said Luke, hunching over his plate. “Real classy manners you’ve got there.

Mara snorted, settling in next to Ben. “You should talk. You have the manners of a borgle-bat.”

Luke smiled and continued munching.

“Except when it comes to Loryna Tarrer,” said Pooja in a sing-song voice. “When she’s around he smartens right up. ‘Oh Loryna, how nice you look today.’”

“May I carry your satchel, Loryna?” mimed Ryoo.

“Oh, Loryna, how about a nice, wet kiss?” Pooja batted her eyes adding puckering noises.

Luke paused mid bite and flushed a thousand shades of red.

“That’s enough, girls,” said Jobal, handing Ben a glass of cold juice.

Ben took a sip, trying to hide his smile as he sensed Luke’s mortification and then glanced at Mara. Her lips were pressed into a hard line, a furrow to her brow. “What is it dear heart?” Though he recognized her expression as one of distress, her shields were slammed up tight.

“Nothing,” whispered Mara, taking a bite of a small muja.

Ruwee angled towards his grandson. “Don’t let them get to you, Luke. I’ve seen both Pooja and Ryoo making eyes at the Aniru boys, myself.”

“Popi!” cried both girls at once.

Luke grinned and took another bite of para-roll. “Thanks, Popi.”
    Ben leaned back, crossing his arms and smiled. Had it really been thirteen years? He loved watching the teens interact, joking and kidding each other. Luke always seemed to catch the brunt of the insults, but he could sense the genuine affection his cousins had for him. Of course Mara was the quickest in the bunch with her acerbic wit, but not tonight. Something seemed off with her tonight. Perhaps she was sensing their reaction to the news about the Empire. He placed a hand on her head, stroking the cascading curls that fell to her shoulders.

“Anymore pastries, Nani?” asked Ryoo.

“Maybe,” said Jobal.

Luke’s head popped up, but Pooja grabbed him in a head lock. “Quick, throw me one.”

“Hey!”

Jobal returned from the kitchen with a tray of sweet biscuits only to stare as the treats began to rise from the platter.

“No fair, Jedi boy!” cried Ryoo. She jumped to her feet, grabbing the treats as they floated towards the table.

Ben frowned. “Really, Luke. How many times must I lecture you on inappropriate Force use?”

“But Uncle Ben—ack!”

Pooja tightened her grasp. “Grab one for me, sis.”

Ben raised a hand, sending the biscuits back to the tray.

“I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that,” said Jobal, placing the tray in the middle of the table. “Release your cousin, please, Pooja.”

Luke laughed and then grabbed two treats.

“Settle down, now,” said Ruwee. “Sola has some news about the Senatorial vote and how it might affect us.”

Pooja stuck her tongue out at Luke, giving him another playful shove.

Everyone sat back in their seats, serious and attentive. Ben felt Mara slip her hand into his own.

Sola began. “It would seem the Emperor was determined to acquire Naboo as a second Imperial base regardless of what the Senate had to say. He over-rid the vote, which was resoundingly against it.”

“At this point, I don’t even see why we have a Senate,” said Jobal.

Ben looked at the dark-haired young girl and shook his head. “It’s all about perception. If the planets think they have power, then they will continue to fall in line with Palpatine’s agenda.”

“Why can’t they see the truth?” asked Ryoo.

“Right now, they’re getting what they want,” said Mara. “The emperor is lulling them into a false sense of security. Once he has their trust, he’ll establish stricter controls.”

“How?” asked Ryoo.

Mara rested her chin on her folded hands. “By controlling the media for one. The Holo-news receives access to the Emperor as long as they report what he wants them to.”

Ben nodded. “There is also the redistribution of funds and tax allocations for those who support him. But, it can’t go on forever. Soon, even they, will find themselves in a powerless position. The Emperor will dissolve the senate and take full control of the Galactic Empire.”

Ryoo frowned. “And then what will we have.”

“Tyranny,” whispered Luke.

“Well,” said Mara. “Look who’s been paying attention in political systems class.”

Pooja looked around the table. “We can’t let this happen. Someone’s got to do something.”

“The first thing we have to do,” said Ruwee, “is ensure our safety.” He glanced at Luke and then Mara. “We’ve done a pretty good job of keeping our Jedi Project under wraps, however, with the Empire’s insurgence I have concerns as to what sort of changes will be implemented. Ben?”

Ben ran a knuckle across his bearded chin. “If Palpatine follows his previous insemination tactics, he’ll begin by establishing a census and implementing documentation policies. He’ll then build a mass data base of information, some of which, is already available here on Naboo.”

Ruwee folded his arms. “You mean from religious, civil and social organization memberships?”

“Exactly,” said Ben. “We have some pretty good aliases in place for the three of us, but I do have some doubts about whether they will hold up under intense Imperial scrutiny. Especially since they will be looking for that very thing.” He looked around the table and sighed. “But that won’t be the worst of it.”

Jobal frowned. “What do you mean?”

“It will be the collaborators that will do the most damage,” said Ben softly. “Your own neighbors and co-workers who will hope to garner advantages and rewards by turning on their fellow countrymen.”

“What?” cried Ryoo.

“No,” whispered Jobal, shaking her head. “That will never happen. Not on Naboo.”

Ruwee pursed his lips. “It seems impossible now, my dear, but it could happen... under the right circumstances.

“Will…will you have to leave?” asked Pooja, slipping an arm through Luke’s.

Ben smiled. “I hope not. We’ve grown very fond of you all and wish to stay.”

Silence hung in the air.

Jobal pulled a handkerchief from her pocket, dabbing her eyes. “I told you this emperor would be the death of me.”

Ben stood at the dock, staring out at the dark blue lake. Several kaadu splashed and dove trying to catch the scalefish swimming just below the surface. He closed his eyes, breathing in the fresh scent that always whispered from the water. It was easy to understand why Luke loved the Lake Country so much.

“I thought I might find you out here.” Sola smiled as she stood next to Ben.

He turned to face her, cupping her cheek. “You always could read me well. Even when you couldn’t stand the sight of me.”

She laughed, taking his hand in her own. “I never had a problem with your looks, Master Kenobi.”

“No?”

“How could I? With those flashing blue eyes and ginger hair? Not to mention your muscular physique. No, I noticed right from the start how handsome you were.”

“You just wanted me dead,” teased Ben.

“Dead? Hardly that. Thrown into prison, maybe, but not dead.” Sola lifted her chin, smiling.

Ben wrapped his arm around Sola’s waist. “So lovely.”

Sola ran her hands lightly up Ben’s chest, encircling his neck and pulling him to her. “Then kiss me,” she whispered.

He pressed his lips against her own, delighting in the warmth that spread through him. Deepening the kiss, he threaded his hands through her long hair as he moaned. “Sola…”

“Yes?” She kissed the sweet spot of his pulsing neck and pulled him closer.

“Uncle Ben?”

Ben and Sola sighed, as Mara called from the house.

“Be right there, dear heart,” replied Ben. He placed a kiss on Sola’s nose and released her. “We didn’t even get a chance to talk.”

Sola trailed a finger down the side of his face and sighed. “Later, then?”

“Later,” he said softly.

to be continued...

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    JP, can I SQUEEEE! Yes I can! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Woohoo! Nice bit of a jump in time there too LOL [:D] !!!

Gemma and Falcon like this.
  7. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    You are ALWAYS first! [face_laugh] How do you do that???? Thanks, NH, a squee is perfectly acceptable. :D

Gemma, Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I have this terrific tale on watch status so I rush in as soon as I get it in my inbox. :* !!

Gemma and Falcon like this.
  9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Aww I absolutely loved the romance!!! So sweet and lovely!!! They were adorable and sexy, just perfect. I'm so happy Obi had a little family all that time! He deserves it so much. Great great job!! :D
    I was not expecting that jump in time at all! But what happened? How did they fall in love? What was their first kiss like? How long did it take for them to seduce each other?! Lol. Can I beg for a series of one shots about the interim???

Nyota's Heart is always first because she's simply amazing :)

Gemma, Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Sola and Obi-Wan? Wow, guess that means Sola wasn't an issue after all.

Can't wait for more :D

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  11. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Oh, wow. Sola and Obi-Wan! I did not see that coming. Very interesting. Makes sense...once she got over being mad at him, anyway!! And what could possibly have put such a bee in Mara's bonnet? Hmmmm.... :D Excellent update!!!

12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Another great update. Poor Sola - she has been through too much sorrow. Sometimes there is so much sadness that you fear letting someone else in only to lose that person, too.

13. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Thank you divapilot, ginchy lee, Falcon, serendipityaey, and Nyota's Heart for your comments and for reading. I appreciate it so much! @};-

Chapter #19

“Do you see anything?” Mara crawled up near the apex of the hill and lay down next to Luke, watching him peer across the field with his macrobinoculars. Several Sentinel class landing crafts parked near the edge of a huge lake. Imperial offices, accompanied by a squad of stormtroopers, deployed several underwater communication beacons.

“Plenty,” said Luke. “It would appear the Imperial goons are trying to make contact with the Gungans, but our amphibious friends are choosing not to cooperate.”

Mara reached for the nocs. “Let me see.” She adjusted the view port and smiled. “Looks like the Empire is going to have to get a lot more creative than that. And I doubt very seriously they’ll venture into the Gungan’s watery domain. Not with all the natural aquatic impediments.”

Luke took back the nocs and continued to observe. “Uncle Ben said when he and his Master flew a bongo from Gungan City to Theed, they had a hungry queue of gooberfish and colo-claws lining up to swallow them whole.”

“I’d kill to pilot one of those.” Mara pulled out a holo-camera and captured a few shots.

“I’d rather get my hands on one of the Rebel Alliance’s X-wings and try out the hyperdrive.”

Mara could just see him in one of Incom’s fighters. Anything that would go that fast would be alluring to the guy. “Any word from Popi on the new identification papers?” asked Mara.

“Not yet. Uncle Ben said that they’re waiting for Sola to get back from the State meeting.”

Mara sighed. “They’re kissing, you know.”

“Hmmm?”

“Uncle Ben and Sola.”

Luke snorted. “You’re demented.”

She frowned, her lips twisting. “I’m serious, Luke.”

Luke recapped the nocs and pushed them into his pack. “Is this another one of your weird feelings thing?”

“I saw them, about a month ago by the lake.” Mara snapped a few more shots. “And just what’s so weird about my feelings? Uncle Ben says it’s a kind of danger sense that few Force sensitives have.” She stuffed the holo-camera into her pack and zipped up the enclosure. “It’s saved your klonkee more than once.”

“Yeah, yeah…whatever.” Luke rolled his head and then lay his forehead on his hands on the ground.

“Neck bothering you?”

“Yeah.”

“What me to massage it?”

“No.” He turned his head back and forth some more. “Look, Uncle Ben is old school Jedi. He doesn’t believe in romantic encounters and kissing women.”

“Unlike you,” Mara huffed. “You’ll kiss anything with mammary glands.”

Luke lifted his head, turning to face at her. “What are mammary glands?”

Mara looked over and burst out laughing.

“What?”

“You’ve got grass on your chin.” She reached towards him, brushing the greenery away. One stubborn piece lodged in his chin hair. “Hold still.”

Luke brushed her hand from his face. “Leave my beard alone, cheeka.”

“Beard? A newborn bantha cub has more hair on his chin than you.” Mara snickered and gave the few visible hairs a tug.

“Ouch! Stop it!”

“Make me!” Mara scooted back from the top of the slope and hunched to her feet, hobbling towards the tree coverage.

Luke grunted and ran after her, catching her by her pack and causing her to tumble. They fell together, laughing as they rolled down the rest of the hill entwined and landing near the forest floor. He flipped her over, sitting astride and trapped her wrists to the ground. “You will pay for your lack of respect and insolence!”

Mara laughed even more, gazing into Luke’s bright blue eyes. “And who will extract this payment?”

“Me, the kissing Jedi Knight of Naboo!” He leaned in close, inches from her face.

Mara froze and felt her heart pounding. She noticed a puzzled look on Luke’s face, his lips parted. “What?” she asked, as his hand reached towards her hair.

Luke plucked a leaf from her hair and then pulled away. “We better get back.” He stood, gathering his pack and marched through the trees. “Come on, Mara.”

She sat up, watching him leave. For a moment it was almost as if he was going to… she shook her head and stood up. “You’ll always be just a sister to him, stoopa, nothing more.” Mara flung her pack over her shoulder and hurried to catch up.

Luke and Mara burst through the front door of the Lake house, tossing their packs to the floor. “We’re home,” called Luke.

“Oh, good,” replied Jobal. “Come join us in the living room. Your grandfather just got back from Theed.”

They padded the small distance and settled into the lounger next to Ryoo and her sister. Everyone gathered around.

“All here?” Ruwee opened a case on the small table before him and pulled out several items. “I have the application flimsies for Imperial identifications. Once we have them filled out, we’ll meet a friend of mine down at the processing center who will complete them and add us all into the database.”

“Do you trust this man, Ruwee?” asked Ben.

“Yes,” said Ruwee. “With my very life.” He looked around the room. “And with the lives of those I love. I know these are uncertain times, but we will all stay together as long as we can and do whatever it takes to thwart the Empire’s plan here.”

Silence hung heavy in the room as Sola sifted in her chair. “I suppose we need to decide where to place Ben and the children in our family.”

Ruwee nodded. “I thought perhaps Ben could be listed as a widower nephew of mine from my deceased brother. Luke and Mara would be listed as his children.”

“I didn’t know you had a brother, Ruwee,” said Ben.

“I did. He was estranged from the rest of the family and died somewhere in the outer rim,” said Ruwee. “His name was Jahn.”

Ben leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “You’re sure he’s dead?”

“Pretty sure.”

“It would prove most complicated if he showed up one day wondering who his imposter was,” said Ben.

“Then what do you suggest?” asked Ruwee.

“I thought perhaps—”

Sola stood and placed a hand on Ben’s shoulder. “May I speak to you in private?”

Ben looked up into her face and blinked. “Of course.”

“We’ll be right back.” Sola led Ben outside to the Gazebo. The sky was overcast with a light breeze. She drew her cloak tighter as she led Ben to a bench. “Sit down, please.”

Ben settled onto the padded bench and watched as Sola began to pace. The wind caught her braid and flipped it back across her shoulder. He reached out with the Force, sensing her increasing agitation. “What is it Sola?”

She paused in front of him and looked him straight in the eye. “Do you love me?”

Ben’s mouth fell open. He looked out towards the lake and noticed the waves cresting in agitation. “Sola…”

She pulled his chin back to face her. “Do you?”

He took her hand in his and closed his eyes. “That’s not something that is easily answered.”

Sola sat down next to him, caressing the back of her hand down his face. “I think it is. Do you love me?”

Ben stood, padding to the far side of the enclosure and shoved his hands in his pockets. “Emotional attachments are unwise.”

“But it’s okay to steal a few kisses?”

Ben’s face flushed a hot red. “I’m not an automaton, Sola. I have feelings just like any other man, but the Jedi Order strictly forbids—”

“In case you haven’t noticed,” said Jobal, crossing to face him, “the Jedi Order is gone, along with its archaic, dysfunctional edicts.” She crossed her arms and sighed. “I know you are an honorable man, but really, Ben, your adherence to these rules borders on the ludicrous.”

Ben’s head snapped up. “I beg your pardon!”

She smiled. “You’ve already crossed that line with your relationship with Luke and Mara.”

“That’s different.”

“How?”

Ben opened his mouth and then shut it again. “It just is.”

Sola leaned in, peering up into his stormy blue eyes. “You still haven’t answered my question. I’m not asking you to violate any strict moral code. Just tell me. Do you love me?”

Ben side stepped her and moved back to the bench. Stars, how had he let it progress this far? He glanced in Sola’s direction and knew exactly how it had happened. Stang, but the woman was beautiful. She was also intelligent, witty and deeply loyal. “Yes,” he whispered, refusing to meet her eyes. “I love you.”

She walked back to the bench and sat down, wrapping her arms around him. “Then let’s get married.”

“WHAT?” cried Ben.

“It makes perfect sense. You could take on the Naberrie name, just as Darred did. Luke and Mara would be listed as your children and I would be your wife. We’d even have the priest’s marriage certificate as more evidence of your residency. It adds another layer of credibility to our story.”

“B-but…”

“It’s the perfect solution.” Sola pressed a kiss to his lips and smiled.

“Sola, I can’t allow you to sacrifice any future relationship you may want to enter into in order to keep me and the children safe.” He stared down into her dark eyes and swallowed.

“Ben, do you really think I would settle for a relationship that was not based on reciprocal affection?”

He felt a smile tug at his lips. “So you are saying that you…you are in love me as well?”

“Irrevocably.”

“I…I don’t know what to say.”

“Say yes,” Sola whispered. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Ben.”

He hesitated and scooted away from her, removing her arms from around him. “I will need to meditate on this.”

“Meditate?” Sola pursed her lips and folded her arms. “Not exactly the response I was hoping for, but by all means, meditate on it. Take as long as you solling need to.” She turned and stomped away towards the house and then froze. “But don’t think I’ll wait forever, Ben Kenobi.” She continued on to the back door and stopped again. “Oh, kriff. I probably would!”

Ben sat alone in the gazebo, his back to the house as he considered Sola’s proposal. He had not fallen in love with a woman since Siri and that had certainly not been allowed. Now he found himself, once again, smitten beyond all reason with a woman who loved him in return. Only this time…

“So what exactly is the problem, son?”

Ben turned and saw Ruwee standing behind him. Was he angry? He couldn’t tell, his own feelings were in enough turmoil.

“May I join you, Ben?”

Ben nodded and scooted over to make room for the man who in many ways had become a mentor and father figure to him. “I’m sorry.”

Ruwee breathed deeply. “For breaking my only daughter’s heart?” He gave Ben a wry smile. “No pressure, though. She’s only in her room crying her eyes out.”

“Stars…”

“Indeed…” Ruwee placed a hand on Ben’s back. “You’re already like a son to me, so whatever decision you make, nothing will change that.”

Ben’s face crumpled for a moment. “I do love her.”

“I know you do. So again, what’s the problem?”

“It’s difficult to explain.”

Ruwee chuckled. “More difficult than explaining about our daughter’s death and, oh by the way, her son is alive and perhaps you’d like a relationship with him?”

Ben growled and shook his head. “You don’t understand. It’s a fundamental tenet of the Jedi Order that romantic relationships cannot be tolerated. I can’t just turn my back on a thousand years of philosophy and code of conduct. These rules were in place for a reason.”

“Yeah,” said Ruwee, “and how did that work out?”

“It worked for a very long time.”

“Until Anakin and my daughter.”

“Yes,” whispered Ben.

“Seems to me you’ve already pushed much of these codes aside, son. You have a parental relationship with both Luke and Mara. I see the love in your eyes for them and Sola’s children, too. What does your Jedi code have to say about that?”

Ben shrugged. “I’ve had to bend some rules and I’ll admit, I’ve questioned them at times.” He thought about Yoda’s plan for raising Luke to fight against his own father and the Emperor. Even now just thinking about it turned his stomach. The boy was more than a weapon, for Sith’s sake. Ben looked up into Ruwee’s face and sighed. He loved Luke and Mara. They were his children regardless of what blood flowed through their veins. Then why were his feelings for Sola harder to reconcile?

Ruwee’s brows rose. “And?”

“I will think about what you’ve said.” Ben sighed. “We don’t even know if my marrying her would place her in jeopardy. How could I live with that decision?”

Ruwee stood. “Don’t you think that’s for her to decide?”

...to be continued.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the scene with Luke and Mara at the start. But I am as baffled as Mara at Luke dashing off before he was seemingly about to kiss her. [face_thinking] Makes you wonder, why not? :rolleyes: Sola's plan seems workable and squee-licious at the same time. Ruwee's wise and forthright. :) The Jedi code of former times seems to have brought only deceptiveness, and the sacrifice of personal fulfillment. The secrecy and loving someone in an unhealthy way is bad for anyone, not just Jedi :p You cannot shut your heart off like a faucet or a lightbulb. :( But Sola's warning is well-taken. She's not going to wait for years! ... She deserves happiness too. @};-

Gemma likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Burn! lol! Good point. Those rules didn't help much. I never liked that policy.

16. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Loved the scene at the end between Obi-Wan and Ruwee and the scene with Luke and Mara [face_love] more soon :D

17. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    I think Luke just realized that Mara's a woman. With mammary glands. [face_rofl] And now he has no idea what to do. I'm not sure if he thought of her as a sister, but likely spent some time thinking of her as a pest. I think he might have a whole 'nother perspective now...

And I think Sola is just what Obi-Wan needs.

Love it!! Great update, lady!!!

18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    What a wonderful family they have become. I wonder if Sola reminds Ben, maybe just a little, of Padme, Her fire, her intelligence...And Sola's idea is really smart. Luke IS genetically related to her after all.
    I love how you introduced the elapse of time. The vocabulary, their syntax, it all hinted toward an older Luke and Mara. And then, with the actions, it confirmed that these were young adults, not children. Excellent use of description, dear Sisterpilot!! It's these little touches that separate an ok story from a really well crafted one.
    I think this might be one of my favorite updates!

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I got soooo far behind! I am so sorry!

The thing that I really love is how innocent and free Luke is and how gaurded and cautious yet still has a child like quality to Mara. I think you are writing them both perfectly! I loved the conversation Mara and Ben had about her parents. It broke my heart. And I love Luke and Mara's interaction as time goes on. :)

I really like Ruwee and his advice to Ben here in the last chapter.

=D=

Gemma, Nyota's Heart and Falcon like this.
  20. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I'm woefully behind in commenting (by at least four chapters or so [face_blush]), but I want you to know that I've been reading along and loving every minute of it. From bitter-and-maybe-evil!Sola to the realization that she was, in fact, well-intentioned all along, to the time-jump to see Luke and Mara as teens discovering that their pseudo-sibling is actually something much more, and to the constant danger from the Empire, this story continues to captivate. Great work, and I can't wait to see what's next!

21. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Oh Ben :( In his own way again... I hope he can work things out, love is just worth it, and that he can make it up to her. I still hope she understands he's trying to do what's good for everyone, and he's a good man though. I really want some romance! Looking forward to more.

22. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Much thanks to you wonderful readers. I know I'm taking you on a bumpy ride and you STILL hand in there with me, THANKS!

serendipitayaey- Ben still has a long way to go before he's able to put all the Jedi tenets behind him. But, will Sola wait? Thanks for your comments!

taramidala- I so appreciate you reading and your encouraging words. Can you tell which one thinks beyond the pseudo-sibling relationship? [face_mischief]

mavjade- MAV!! Thanks! I would love to read more fic about Padme's parents. It couldn't have been easy for them and they never get to see their grandson or granddaughter.

divapilot- THANK YOU!! [face_blush] I really did want to show a close knit family. Luke deserves that, only now he extends that to Mara as well. Time will tell if he can look past that.

ginchy lee- Hee! He may have noticed, but can't seem to get past the image of Mara as sister. I think Ben needs Sola, too. He's just too darn stubborn! Thanks for reading and posting and smiling!

Falcon- Thanks! I'm almost going for a Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan text. At least that's what I'm trying to depict.

Jedi_Lover- Me, either! That's the one good thing about pro-fic, they dropped the whole non-attachment teaching. Thanks for reading and posting! :)

Nyota's Heart- No, you can't turn your feelings off. The Jedi Order seemed to be in denial about that. It wasn't until the NJO that the acknowledgment of the truth came out. Thank you for your encouraging words! @};-

Random Comments likes this.
  23. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999

Well that's definitely obvious. But he'll come around eventually. Men are slow, after all. ;)

Gemma, Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    To all those celebrating: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Chapter #20

Jobal shoved a casserole into the cooking unit just as the door chimed. “Coming.” She grabbed a dish towel and wiped her hands as she padded to the foyer and opened the front door. “Yes?”

“Is this the Naberrie residence?” An imperial courier in full uniform stood at the door with a package under his arm.

“Yes,” replied Jobal, knowing full well that he knew who lived here.

“Sign this, please ma’am.” He extended a datapad and stylus to her.

Jobal raised an eyebrow and sighed. Taking the stylus she wrote her name with a flourish and handed it back to the courier.

“Thank you ma’am.” The courier extended the package to her, tipping his hat as he left.

“Who’s at the door?” asked Ruwee.

Jobal closed the door and handed her husband the package. “Courier.”

“Imperial?”

Jobal nodded. “You open it.”

Ruwee crossed to the dining room table and sat down. “What time will Sola be home?”

“Soon. Should we wait?”

Frowning, Ruwee shook his head and opened the large envelope. He pulled out several smaller envelopes and paused. “That’s odd.”

“What?”

He opened the envelope addressed to his wife and him and began reading. “Seems we’ve been invited to a grand ball in honor of the Empire’s “…uniting with the Queen and her subjects to create a safer galaxy for all with the establishment of the new Imperial base on Naboo.”

“Bantha poodoo.”

Ruwee laughed. “Don’t let the kids hear you talk like that.”

“The kids already talk like that.” Jobal slipped into the chair next to her husband. “Who are the other invitations for?”

Ruwee held up one of the other envelopes. “Mrs. Sola Naberrie & daughters: Ryoo &Pooja.”

Jobal grimaced. “And the other?”

“Mr. Jahn Naberrie & children: Luke & Mara.”

Jobal looked out toward the lake and sighed.

“Come now, wife.” Ruwee snaked his arm around her waist. “The false identities set up for Ben and the children will hold up to any scrutiny on the part of the Empire. I just don’t understand the necessity for this formal ball or our attendance.”

“I can explain all that.” Sola entered the dining area and kissed both parents on the cheek, as she dropped her satchel into an empty chair.

“Hello, dear,” said Jobal. “How was work?”

“Interesting.” Sola poured herself a glass of juice and then sat down across from Ruwee. “It seems that the Empire’s integration into Naboo society has not gone as well as they had hoped.”

“But that is a good thing, is it not?” asked Jobal.

Sola took a sip from her glass and smiled. “Yes, however, the Imperial government is not one to give up so easily. They seem to be taking a different tack.”

“The ball?” asked Ruwee, folding his arms.

“The ball,” said Sola, grinning. “Grand Moff Elin Daquan thinks that a formal engagement—one with the Queen in attendance—would go a long way in securing an Imperial foot into the door of Naboo society.”

“Will the Queen attend?” asked Ruwee.

Sola pursed her lips and ran a hand through her hair. “She doesn’t have much choice. Grand Moff Elin Daquan has set this up as a cordial event. She could refuse a request to meet with the Moff in a governmental capacity, but to refuse an invitation to a social gathering would appear churlish.”

“But why us?” asked Ruwee.

“You forget, Father. The Naberrie family is still considered royalty because of Padme. She was an extremely popular queen and senator. She remains beloved by her people to this day. Imagine the coup it would be for Daquan to be seen as friends with the Naberries. The queen’s acceptance might not even be necessary.”

“Clever,” said Ruwee. “And this somewhat strained relationship with the current royal and our family will not make the evening exactly pleasant. I cannot imagine why she is so cool towards us.”

“Can’t you?” replied Sola. “Queen Kylantha is seen as weak and ineffectual. She is not at all popular, whereas, Padme is held in near legendary esteem. This ball may just be a power play by the Empire to secure either our cooperation or the queen’s by taking advantage of the tense relationship.” Sola reached out and picked up the two envelopes and frowned. “It would appear that my cousin, Jahn is invited as well.” She tossed the invitation back down to the table, sending it spinning.

Ruwee covered Sola’s hand with his own.

“I’m okay,” said Sola. She stood, leaving the table and headed toward her private room.

Jobal watched until she heard the door close. “I still don’t understand what happened between them. They were getting along just fine for years and all of sudden—everything is strained. I was even beginning to think there was some kind of romance blooming.”

“That is none of our business dear.”

“Men.” Jobal stood and walked back into the kitchen, banging several pans. “I should just sit them both down and tell them exactly what they need.”

Ruwee stared at the three invitations and frowned. Reaching for the one designated for Ben, he glanced at the false name and dropped it back to the table. “You just may be on to something, dear.”

Ben grimaced as he looked in the mirror, fumbling with his bow tie. This whole Imperial Ball event had set his nerves on edge. He startled at the sound of a knock at his private room door. “Come in.”

“I thought you might need some assistance.” Sola padded towards him, her eyes downcast.

Ben’s mouth fell open. Stars, she was breathtaking tonight! He watched her reflection in the mirror taking in the silver-toned silk brocade dress, hugging her curves and setting off her lovely skin. “That would be most appreciated, Sola.” He turned, straightening his shoulders to face her.

She raised her eyes to his throat and began the intricate maneuvers quite lost to him. “I imagine the Jedi didn’t attend many formal functions, hmmm?”

“On the contrary,” said Ben softly. “But we always appeared in Jedi attire. These ties are quite a mystery to me.”

Sola tightened the final knot, then slowly brushed her hands down his lapels. “There. You make quite the presentation, Ben.”

He turned, facing the mirror and ran a reminiscent hand over his naked chin.

“I miss it, too,” whispered Sola.

“What?”

She moved to the left, catching his reflection and finally looked fully into his face. “Your beard.” She brushed her fingertips lightly against the back of his head. “The darker color works well, too. I don’t think anyone from the Jedi Order would even recognize you now.”

Ben cleared his throat. “Let’s hope that holds true for the Imperials, as well.”

She stepped back, folding her hands together. “Father says we’ll leave in fifteen minutes. The children are ready.” Sola plucked at the pleat billowing from her waist.

“Thank you, Sola.”

“Of course.” She turned and exited the room.

Ben closed his eyes and swallowed. He was a fool. Grabbing his coat, he shoved his arms through and pulled on the jacket. “The biggest fool in the entire galaxy.”

...to be continued.

Gemma and Random Comments like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    JP! Eek! On the edge of my seat with this one. =D= Hoping that the ball attending goes without trouble. [face_thinking] And that Ben fixes things with Sola asap. :p

Gemma likes this.