main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Son of Unveiled Secrets." AU Drama. Obi-Wan, L/M. Chapter #43 Thanks for the nom!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Pilot, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks for reading and a [:D]to ginchy lee, Falcon, taramidala, divapilot, Nyota's Heart, Demendora, for posting!

XXXXX

CHAPTER # 33

Ben sat at the conference table savoring his caf. He’d received a communication from the Naberries just this morning that left him unnerved. No word about Captain Typho or any repercussions from their last encounter. There was nothing from Moff Daquan or any inquires leveled at Luke’s family. Still, it left him feeling off balanced.

He half listened to the meeting going on around him as Admiral Gial Ackbar read from the new acquisition log on his datapad. Mon Mothma, General Jan Dodonna and General Crix Madine made sporadic comments. They all tuned at the brisk knock at the door.

Airen Cracken walked in, removing his hat and saluted.

“Come in Commander, glad you could make it,” said General Madine. “Have a seat.”

“Thank you, General.” He nodded to the remaining members of the council, his eyes resting on Ben for a second longer than the others.

“Smooth flight here?” asked Dodonna.

“Yes, sir,” replied Cracken. “However, the humidity here on Yavin 4 takes a bit getting used to.”

“Beats the freezing tundra of Hoth,” said Madine, sliding a look at Cracken.

“Hoth?” said Ben. “Who’d be foolish enough to suggest a base there?”

Cracken’s jaw clenched.

Mon Mothma cleared her throat, her lips curving. “How is your Intelligence Force coming along, Commander?”

Cracken leaned back in his chair and folded his arms. “Hard to say. They’re still pretty green. All except that girl of yours, Kenobi.” The emphasis on Ben’s real name did not go unnoticed. “Sharp as a krayt dragon horn and as cunning as a Hutt. ‘Course being a Jedi, gives her an advantage.”

Ben smiled. “I’ve help train many Jedi over the years and Mara is, indeed, a very talented young lady. Glad to hear she is settling in well, Commander.”

“Well, seems I’m to receive the bantha’s share of our little trade.” Cracken poured himself some caf and sipped, hiding his smirk behind his cup.

“What’s this?” asked Ackbar.

“A young girl who was working with the commander turns out to be Force sensitive,” said Ben. “Commander Craken and I have worked out her transfer so that I may begin to train her.”

Admiral Ackbar clapped his appendages together. “Excellent. The more Jedi the better.”

Dodonna reached into his case and pulled out a flimsy. “Is that a Nadya Saer?”

“Yes, sir,” said Ben.

“I have her data right here. Seems she’s also flight ready,” said Dodonna, scratching his chin. “I’d love to add her to my current pilot roster.”

Ben inclined his head. “By all means, sir.”

“That will give us more time for our strategy meetings, General Kenobi,” said Madine.

Cracken laughed. “Well, good luck with Nadya, Kenobi. She has the temper of a bruised rancor and a mouth that makes me blush! But then, you’ve already had the pleasure of her company—remember?”

“Oh yes,” said Ben, his eyes twinkling. “As I recall the last time we met, she tried to stab me with a syringe.”

Everyone burst out laughing, Ben along with them.

“I’d pay cash money to have seen that,” said Dodonna.

“Will the intelligence team be joining us here on Yavin?” asked Ben.

“I’m afraid not,” said Akbar. “They remain cloistered on their own transport in order to keep their location a secret.”

Ben raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t worry, Master Kenobi,” said Ackbar. “Mara is in good hands.” He turned to Dodonna. “And how is that boy of his doing?”

“Luke? Kid’s a supernova. Can fly anything I put him in,” said Dodonna. “Wish I had ten just like him.”

Ben paused remembering a time when there were thousands of Jedi defending the galaxy.

Mon Mothma folded her hands on top of the conference room table. “I’m very interested in your Intelligence team, Airen. Get them ready—quickly. Something big is buzzing around Imperial Center.”

“Troop movement?” asked Ben.

The head of the Alliance shook her head. “Credit expenditure. A lot of resources are going into something and we need to find out just what it is.”

XXXXX

Luke readied the star navigational system and awaited instructions.

“All I’m saying is that she couldn’t take her eyes off you, Luke. Like she was some kind of ravenous fire-beast and you were a finely grilled bantha steak,” said Wes Janson through the hypercomm unit.

“Wes…give it a rest already.”

“I’m just saying….”

“Coming up on conversion point in 3…2…1…mark!”

Wes Janson, Wedge Antilles along with the newest member of Red Squadron dropped out of hyperspace and cruised to a stop. Luke pulled up on the stick and moved into formation behind Wedge’s rear port side.

“Whose turn is it?” asked Wes.

“New guy,” responded Wedge.

Luke pushed his stick forward, pointing his sensor array toward the core, then activated his scanner and alerted his R2 unit. “Scanning now….”

They waited a couple minutes in silence, Wes rocking his ship causing his X-Wing’s foils to wave in time to some unheard melody.

“Anything?”

“Nothing,” said Luke. “All clear.”

“Let’s head back then,” said Wedge. He maneuvered back into lead position and waited for the other two pilots to form up.

Wes snickered. “Another day in the life of our intrepid team of pilots, putting their life on the line in the pursuit of freedom….”

“Sending hyperspace coordinates to your navcomputers now.”

“Justice…”

“On my mark...3…2…1…”

“And as much Corellian ale as they can consume!”

“Mark!”

Luke breathed in deeply as the star lines flew past him and he jumped into hyperspace. Breaking into a huge grin, he shook his head and checked his fuel consumption rate. The last three months had been some of the happiest and saddest days of his life. He was flying! Even if it was mostly just routine check points, he was having the time of his life. Luke had wondered if his fellow pilots would have a hard time accepting him with his background in the Imperial academy, but turns out a lot of pilots came from the same training field. And he’d been teamed up with two really good squad members—although Wes did like to tease him a lot. Most of the time he was pretty content, until something would remind him of Bree. He still mourned the loss of his first love and had held out hope they might get back together somehow. These last few days had been a stark reality check and he’d finally accepted that he’d have to let her go. He sighed, pulling his crash webbing away from his neck.

“So what do you say, Luke?” asked Wes. “Saturday night, you and Trailia?”

Luke could help but smile. “What are you, my personal social director?”

Wedge Antilles barked out a laugh. “Truth is….Janson’s been trying to get a date with Corinne, Trailia’s bosom buddy for weeks, but she’ll only go out with him if you agree to a double date.”

“That’s sad, Wes…”

“But Luke, she’s kriffing gorgeous…”

“Which one?”

“Both, but Corinne has the largest pair of—”

“WES!”

“—simulated flight kills. X and Y Wing.”

Luke could hear both pilots laughing. “Very funny.”

“Don’t forget her long shapely vector scans.”

Luke shook his head at the hoots over the hypercomm unit. “You guys are pathetic.”

“You mean starving for female companionship,” said Wes. “So? Saturday night?”

“I don’t think so,” said Luke. “I’m off women for a while.”

“Uh oh…sounds like somebody’s nursing a broken heart,” mock whispered Wes. “Tell me, son, is that the reason you joined the rebellion?”

“Give the guy a break, Wes.”

“Actually,” began Luke, “I joined for the gourmet three squares a day and the 5 star living accommodations.”

Wedge chuckled. “Not for the competitive compensation and platinum retirement package?”

“They had me at comprehensive dental plan,” said Wes.

“Coming up on conversion point,” said Wedge. “In 3…2…1… mark!”

The three pilots moved into geosynchronous orbit around Yavin 4 and awaited landing orders.

Wes sighed. “I’ll never get a date with Corinne.”

“Look on the bright side, Janson,” said Wedge.

“What’s that?”

“If you live through all this, at least you’ll have nice teeth.”

XXXXX

Luke taxied into the hangar and killed the engines. Popping the X-Wing canopy, he looked out and saw Ben sitting in a chair leisurely reading flimsies in a large training area.

“Hey, new guy! Hitting the showers?” called Wedge.

“Meet you there,” said Luke. He pulled off his flight helmet and dropped it onto his seat. Gliding down the ladder, he ran a hand through his matted hair and jogged over to his uncle. “Hey Uncle Ben, what’s up?”

Ben smiled and stacked the flimsies together. “My latest padawan.”

“Huh?”

Ben crossed his legs and pointed a single index finger towards the ceiling of the hangar. There, suspended near the apex of the building was a small figure with dark hair hanging down around her face.

Luke squinted and bit back a smile. “What happened?”

“Seems my latest padawan needed a lesson in proper etiquette.”

“Language or attitude?”

“Yes,” said Ben. He folded his arms and blew out his breath.

“She can’t be that bad.”

Ben stood and arched his back. “On the contrary, she is rude, profane and has a tendency to question the legitimacy of my birth. I haven’t had to employ this type of discipline since you and Mara were twelve.”

Luke raised an eyebrow.

“Well, not so much with you, but Mara spent many hours hovering over the lake on Naboo.”

Both men folded their arms across their chest, gazing up at the hapless girl.

“Why isn’t she complaining?” asked Luke, cocking his head.

Ben opened his hand and then snapped it shut.

Luke covered his mouth with his hand. “She must be really something.”

“A pistol.”

“How much longer?”

Ben glanced at his chrono. “One more minute and then I’m heading to dinner.”

“Meet you there?”

“Lovely.”

Luke turned with a wave and headed off to the showers.

Ben raised his hand and slowly lowered the girl to the ground.

She fell to her knees, her face a light shade of green and opened her mouth to speak.

He raised his hand and paused. “You’ve something to say, my dear.”

Nadya Saer clamped her mouth shut and frantically shook her head back and forth.

“Same time tomorrow?”

She looked up into Ben’s face, her eyes blazing and nodded.

“Good. Off you go.”

Ben watched as the female ball of fury raced off towards the residential area without a single glance back. “Stars, I’m getting too old for this. I just might need something a tad stronger than ale tonight.”

...to be continued.

Gemma and Random Comments like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed the Alliance meeting but the Rogues [face_laugh] Classic =D= and ;) Well, looks like Ben has a handful in Nadya and they're locked in a contest of wills.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am just sitting here imagining all the Rogue pilots hitting the showers.[face_mischief]

Nyota's Heart and ginchy like this.
  4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I love Luke and the Rogues. You always write them so well. Poor Wes. Maybe he'll get a date one day!! [face_laugh]

Nyota's Heart and Jedi_Lover like this.
  5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Great banter with the Rogues! Loved it.

6. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    sounds like the new girl is in need of an attitude adjustment and loved the banter between the Rogues. More soon

7. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Catching up...

I'll echo the love for the pilot peanut gallery. Nice to see them! But Luke needs to let them take him out so he can stop being silly over that Imp girl. It would have been nice to see some passing thought for Mara though... ;)

I loved Ben's scenes with the Generals, too, and that he's back in the thick of things. But I share his concerns over the Naberries (still). I'll momentarily play serendipityaey here and say that you simply can't give him a love interest only to have something bad happen to him! :p

And the new girl continues to intrigue, even if she's a pain, and even if she isn't phasing Ben one bit.

Great job!

serendipityaey likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    So I got waaaaayyyy behind, not because I don't love this story, I completely do, but because I just fail like that.

I do like how I've not had to wait on a few cliff hangers though! ;)

I'm so excited we get to see Luke with Wedge and Wes (the image of a military Luke a few chapters back... =P~ ) and that they've offically become part of the rebellion, though I was sad when they had to leave Naboo.

=D=

9. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks mavjade, taramidala, Falcon, divapilot, ginchy lee, Jedi_Lover, and Nyota's Heart for your gracious praise and thanks to those reading. We're segueing into a new life for Luke and Mara, as Ben does his best to pass on the way of the Jedi to yet another generation.

XXXXX

CHAPTER 34

Mara brought her arms up, falling into a defensive position and waited for the attack. Her opponent, almost twice her size and weight, circled around trying to find an opening.

“You’ll have to do better than that, Evans,” said Mara.

The large Corellian smirked and then feinted to the right only to turn and rush her head on. Mara easily side stepped the hulk and jumped onto his back, grabbing him in a headlock.

“Had enough?”

“No way, Red,” grunted Evans. He swatted in vain, trying to knock Mara off.

Mara increased the pressure around his neck. “Thirty more seconds and you’ll be breathing carpet fibers.”

Evans began to blink, his face turning blue. “Nah, I…I got dis…”

“Give it up, Evans,” said Saphi from the side of the sparring sparing mat. “You’re bantha poodoo!”

Mara let go as Evans fell to his knees and sank onto the mat.

“Time!” called Lieutenant Rylan. “He looked at his stop watch and grinned. Forty-seven seconds. A new record.”

The group around the mat exploded, some in cheers and some in protest.

“No fair,” cried Donovan, a wiry red-headed male from Bestine. “She’s using that Jedi voodoo.”

“Mara!” barked Airen Cracken, conferring with Rylan. “Did you break the rules and use the Force?”

“No, sir,” replied Mara. “Just a simple headlock.”

“On a simple head,” Saphi whispered.

Cracken pulled out his datapad and punched in a few numbers. “New record stands.” He turned and walked back towards his office.

“You won! You won!” cried Saphi running into the middle of the mat and throwing her arms around Mara.

Mara laughed and attempted to remove her roommate’s mynock like grip. “Geez, Saph. Give me room to breathe.”

The curly-headed blonde stepped back and smiled her huge sunny smile. “But you won. Bet that’ll shut a couple of mewling mouths for a while.”

Evans stood, rubbing his throat and walking towards her. “Not bad, Red.” He extended his open hand.

Mara paused, sensing a grudging admiration and clasped hands. “Thanks, Evans.” She paused, cocking her head. “Now, will you stop calling me Red?”

Evans winked and padded back to the other guys. “Sure thing, Red. Whatever you say.”

She grimaced as half the team headed towards the mess area. All except the lieutenant. He stood watching Mara with those warm brown eyes of his.

Two other members of the intelligence team, twin males from Fondor, jogged over offering their own congratulations.

“Nice moves, Jade,” said Thom.

“Never doubted you for a moment,” replied Teur. “Know what that means?”

Mara rolled her eyes. “I have a big bulls-eye painted on my back?”

“Exactly,” the twins said in unison, their dark blue eyes shining.

“I don’t know…” Mara watched as Evans and his group sat down at their usual table. “He talks gruff, but it’s mostly for show.”

“And how would you know that?” asked Teur.

Saphi threaded her arm around Teur’s shoulder. “It’s a Force thing. You wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh, and you would?” responded Thom.

“Chell, yeah,” said Saphi.

Mara shook her head. “Come on, let’s get some lunch before those three finish off the roasted roba steak.” They moved as a group to the large table and sat down with their fellow intelligence team members. Lieutenant Rylan went straight to the serving line, but not before whispering his congratulations in Mara’s ear causing her to shiver.

“Hey Jade,” said Donovan, cramming a fork full of meat into his mouth. “Zhar here says you fight like a dancer.”

The blue skinned twi’lek paused in mid-bite and turned toward her. “What I meant was that on my home world, the very best fighters are usually the best dancers.”

“Thank you Zhar,” said Mara. “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“Indeed,” responded the twi’lek. “It’s was meant as such.”

“Food, food—let’s get some food!” cried Saphi, jumping up and racing to the serving line. Mara and the twins followed, loading their trays to maximum capacity. After a good fifteen minutes of eating and playful banter, Airen Cracken marched out of his office and approached his team.

“Uh, oh,” said Teur, “this doesn’t look good.”

“Attention!” shouted Rylan. All members shot up from the table, their trays forgotten.

“At ease,” said Cracken. He waited until his team was seated and then continued. “I’ve just received this memo from General Madine. It appears the Empire has some kind of clandestine project in the works and wants us in place to check it out.”

“Our first mission!” said Saphi.

Cracken nodded. “We’ll set up on Coruscant, going undercover to gather intel. Just intel. Once we have the information, we’re to send it back to the general and await further orders. Questions?”

“Sir,” said Lieutenant Rylan. “Do we have time to plan our strategy before we leave?”

“Afraid not, Lieutenant. We’re to leave immediately and make our plans on the way. You’ll be in charge of flight with Zhar Vin’s help.”

Donovan whistled. “Something big must be going down.”

“Jade,” said Cracken.

Mara stood. “Yes, sir.”

“I want all available resources employed—including that Force sense of yours, got it?”

“Yes, sir,” she responded.

“Let’s gear up! We leave at 1400 hours.” Modine stomped back to this office and closed the door.

Donovan leaned in close to Mara, waving his fingers. “Now’s your chance, witchy woman.”

“Knock it off, Donovan,” said Rylan.

“Yeah, Donovan,” said Saphi. “Mara’s Force thingie will probably be what saves your Bestine backside.”

Mara noticed Lieutenant Rylan fighting back a smile.

“Okay everyone, I want you packed and back here in thirty. Let’s go.”

The group scrambled like a herd of grebnar was at their backs.

Saphi pulled Mara to her and whispered, “Somebody seems to have caught the Lieutenant’s eye.”

“You think?” responded Mara, glancing back for one last look.

“I know.”

Mara walked arm in arm with her roommate. She considered Rylan’s dark good looks and dreamy eyes and decided that catching his eye wouldn’t be such a bad thing after all.

XXXXX

“This is solling stupid!”

Ben sighed passing a hand across his forehead. “It is not stupid as you’ve so decided. It’s just difficult—and you’re not concentrating.”

“I’m not concentrating because this is stupid! Nobody can do this!” Nadya Saer threw the small plastic ball across the training mat and sat down. “Just put me back on Cracken’s team. THAT I understood!”

Ben raised his hand, calling the ball to him. “This is child’s play and you can do it.”

Nadya fell back spread eagle onto the mat and groaned. “Aaaaaaaaaarggh!”

No matter what he tried, Ben just couldn’t get Nadya to accept the fact that she was, indeed, Force sensitive. He’d had slow learners before, but this had nothing to do with ability and everything to do with attitude and cooperation. He tossed the ball back towards the equipment box and called a single white feather to him. “Okay, let’s try something else…”

Ben paused as he saw Luke walking towards the weight room. Reaching out, he touched Luke’s mind and felt an immediate response.

Luke turned and jogged to the mat, taking in the prone figure next to his uncle. “Hi, Master Kenobi.”

Nadya sat up, tucking her hands under her armpits.

“Luke, I’d like you to meet my padawan, Nadya Saer. Nadya this is my former padawan, Luke Naberrie.”

“Please to meet you, Nadya.”

The dark-haired girl nodded and continued to stare at Luke. “You went through all this?”

Luke sat down next to her, reaching for the feather through the Force. “I did.” The feather floated to him, nestling into his palm.

Nadya grimaced. “You make it look so easy.”

“I’ve been at it my entire life and Master Kenobi is an exceptional teacher.”

Nadya shrugged, leaning in towards him. “We don’t get along so well.”

Luke grinned. “My sister had the same kind of struggle—at first. Then she came to terms with having to obey someone who knew more than her.”

Nadya looked at Ben and then back at Luke. “Why can’t you teach me?”

Luke laughed. “Because I am not nearly as proficient in the Force as Master Kenobi.” He noticed Nadya’s clenched jaw. “But I could, perhaps drop by sometimes and see how you’re coming along.”

Nadya’s eyes lit up in response. “That might be…helpful. You working with me a bit.”

Luke extended his hand, pulling the girl to her feet. “I think you’ll actually come to enjoy it.”

Nadya glanced at Luke, a smile tugging at her lips. “I’ll hold you to that.” She plucked the feather from Luke’s hand and moved to the center of the mat.

Ben mouthed a silent—Thank you— to Luke and followed his padawan. “Now let’s begin with sensing the feather’s weight in your hand…”

Luke headed back towards the weight room smiling, without realizing it had been three days since he’d last thought of Bree.

...to be continued.

Gemma and Random Comments like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mara is noticing Ryland and Nadya and Luke have sparked one another's interests. [face_thinking] I am glad he hasn't thought of Bree. But what about Mara? Hmmm. Thinking back on what he told Nadya, though, Mara hasn't become unsisterized. [face_laugh]

11. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Man, when Mara becomes "unsisterized" as Nyota's Heart put it, things are gonna go boom.

I love the emphasis you're putting on Mara getting her life together, but if she's going to Coruscant I'm a tad worried.

Excellent as always.

Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  12. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
  13. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Tag me when you update

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I like how Luke and Mara are developing their unique styles. They are each coming into their own as adults. Great post, sisterpilot! I love the depth of characterization you give each person in the story.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    great update :)

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update. I still have my doubts about Luke thinking of Mara in a non-sister-like manner. I think they will have to spend some more time apart. :(

17. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks for reading! And special thanks to Jedi_Lover, Falcon, divapilot, Jedi_Liz, taramidala and Nyota's Heart for posting. [:D]

Now on to chapter #35, "I'm in the mood for looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove..."

XXXXX

CHAPTER #35

“How ‘bout a dance?”

Mara looked up from her bottle of Corellian Ale and raised a single brow at Lieutenant Rylan.

“What?” He smiled in response. “We’re supposed to be university students at a mixer, so…let’s mix.” Rylan extended his hand, drawing her up from her seat and into a twirl. “Not bad, Jade. I knew I was right giving you this assignment.”

She gave him her best smirk, thinking of Saphi doing slave labor in the kitchen at the Imperial Palace along with Thom and Donovan. At least Teur landed a less physically demanding position in the local library while Evans was quickly hired as a bouncer on level E-28 in the under city. Zhar Vin had been the hardest to place, being a twi’lek. Seems the emperor’s distain for non-humans had a trickle-down effect in the employment arena. Took almost three weeks to place him as a custodial worker for the local park.

“And just why are we dancing, Lieutenant?

“Rylan. Better yet—Ry. That’s what my friends call me. I just love this song.”

Mara shuffled her feet, her body rigid.

“Relax,” said Rylan, pulling her closer to him and moving to the softly playing jizz.

Mara breathed in deeply, releasing the tension in her shoulders.

“That’s better.”

Mara had to admit, he was a good dancer. She felt his chin rest softly against her temple and suppressed a shiver. “So….why did I end up with the cushy job, Lieutenant?”

Rylan.” He turned her around and lowered her into a slight dip. “Rank has to be good for something and I decided you and I were the best choice for this position. Besides, I wanted to work more closely with you.”

Mara frowned, putting a little distance between them. “Lucky me.”

“You have no idea.” Rylan increased the pressure at the small of her back, pulling her into an embrace.

Mara stiffened, placing her hands against his chest. “That’s not what we’re here for, Lieutenant.”

I’m well aware of our mission, Jade, but it doesn’t mean we can’t have a little down time every now and then.” He pulled her hands from his chest and slide them up around his neck.

Mara cast her eyes down, but didn’t try to pull away. “Why are you doing this?”

“I’ve been trying to let my intentions be known for weeks, but you’re got a force field wrapped around you so tight, no one can get in.”

Mara’s mouth fell open, words escaping her.

He bumped her chin up with his knuckle, smiling. “I’m trying to tell you that I am very interested in a relationship with you, but I must be doing a terrible job ‘cause you’re not getting the message.”

“I’m not—you don’t want a relationship with me.”

“Then why does my heart go into hyper-space every time I look into those gorgeous, green eyes of yours?”

Mara pushed him back and hissed, “Stop it.”

“Geez, Jade, who was the idiot that plunged the hydro-blade into your heart?”

“What?” Mara froze on the dance floor and locked eyes with the lieutenant.

The music stopped as the other students around them applauded the band. Rylan guided her back to her table, seating her and then moved a chair close. “So, who was it that did all the damage that I’m going to have to repair.”

“No one.”

Rylan sat back, plucking her hand into his. “It’s not like you to lie, Jade.”

Mara felt her eyes begin to well. Stupid, stupid. Get it together. “Perhaps I just don’t want to talk about it,” she whispered.

“All right…fair enough.” Rylan stroked the pulse point of Mara’s wrist. “But he was a fool.”

She grimaced turning her head.

“And he isn’t worth another moment thinking about.” Rylan tucked a silky red curl behind her ear.

Mara laughed, brushing back a tear. “And how would you know that?”

Rylan threaded his fingers through hers. “Because he couldn’t see what was right in front of him. A beautiful, intelligent woman who takes my breath away. You are exquisite and I would consider it an honor to be with you.”

Mara reached out, sensing the absolute truth pouring from this man next to her. She felt her face warm and a smile tug at her lips. So this is what it’s like to be thought of as a desirable woman. She gazed up into his golden brown eyes and saw the delight shining at her. Could she possibly open her heart to someone other than Luke? Mara swallowed and thought again about the last time they spoke—the hurtful words they’d both said.

“So, what do you say?” asked Rylan. “You set the pace, we’ll go as slow as you like, but you have to know, I’m a one-woman man. I don’t plan on seeing anyone, but you.”

Mara looked out at the students around her, shaking her head. Was she ready for this? She glanced back at the handsome lieutenant and felt a smile emerge. “All right…Rylan.

His face broke out in a huge grin. “And I can call you Mara?”

She felt a rich warmth flood through her as she nodded. “But only when it’s just the two of us. And I don’t want the others knowing what’s going on.”

He lifted her hand to his lips and pressed a kiss on her wrist. “These guys are pret-ty savvy, you know. Intelligence agents and all. I’m not sure they won’t pick up on something going on.”

“True.” She leaned towards him. “Let’s just try to keep it low key when we’re not alone.”

“Deal!” He stood up, pulling her with him.

“Where are we going?”

Rylan steered her towards the exit, his hands resting on her hips. “Gotta get you back to the dorm, almost curfew.”

Mara glanced at her chrono, her brows raised. “It’s not curfew for another hour.”

“I know,” Rylan said, “but I plan on giving you a rather lengthy good-night kiss at the doorway.”

She chuckled as he threaded his arm around her waist. “So much for taking it slow.”

“Hey, I’ve got three weeks’ worth of kissing to make up for!”

XXXXX

“Report.” Commander Cracken’s rough voice crackled through the comm. unit.

Lieutenant Rylan looked around the table in the large private study room at his fellow agents and cleared his voice. “The previous intel appears to be legitimate. There’s a huge amount of monetary resources filtering from Imperial coffers to several off-world projects. The most suspicious part being that these projects seem to be under false corporate names, almost untraceable.”

“Almost,” said Zhar Vin. “I was able to track some activity on Dubrillion and Bilbringi, but most of the credit expenditure is flowing into Geonosis.” He flipped his left lekku back over his shoulder. “At one point it appeared as if the Separatists were involved somehow, but that no longer seems to be the case.”

“The Separatists?” said Cracken. “That was a long time ago, surely this project can’t have been in the works that long?”

“We won’t know until we gather further intel from these three planets, sir,” responded Rylan.

The agents sat in silence, waiting for Cracken to give them their next series of orders.

“All right, Lieutenant, leave an agent on Coruscant and decide which ones should be placed where. I want another full meeting on four weeks, even if it’s not face to face. I’ll file a report with Mothma. Any questions? Then keep in touch with each other and use your brains. I don’t want anyone alerting the Empire that we’re on to something. Cracken out.”

Rylan looked around the table. “We’ll need two more ships in addition to the one we already have—Vin take care of that plus piloting one of them to Bilbringi with Thom and Teur.”

“Sweet,” the twins said in unison, bumping fists.

“Saphi,” said the lieutenant, “you go with Donovan who’ll pilot to Dubrillion, while Evans stays here to keep an eye on things.

“Hey,” barked Evans, “why do I have to stay here?”

“Because,” said Saphi, “the Commander said to use our brains.”

Evans sneered. “I got a brain, Saph.”

“But you don’t use it,” chided Saphi.

“I’m smarter than Thom,” said Evans pointing at the red head.

“I’m Teur, he’s Thom.”

Evans paused looking back and forth between the twins. “Wait…what?”

Mara leaned in towards Rylan trying to be overheard as the argument continued. “I can pilot, too.’

Rylan smiled. “I know you can, but I need you with me...”

The voices around the table froze.

“…on Geonosis,” stammered Rylan. “I need Mara with me on Geonosis—Jade with me. Mara Jade and I will be going to Geonosis.”

Saphi looked at Rylan and then to Mara’s flushed face. “Well, okay then.”

Vin shuffled flimsies, trying not to look up, while Thom actually giggled.

Donovan grinned as he folded his arms across his chest. “Yeah, man. ‘Hope you two find…..stuff...on Geonosis.”

“Why can’t I go to Geonosis with the lieutenant and Jade stay on Coruscant,” asked Evans.

Saphi snorted.

“You really don’t use your brain, do you?”

“Shut up, Tuer,” said Evans.

The redhead shook his head. “I’m Thom, he’s Tuer.”

...to be continued.

Gemma, Falcon and Random Comments like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Well, JP! =D= Excellent progress on the mission front and apparently on the Mara/Rylan front also. Ooh, a crack!fic. I never knew LOL! [face_mischief] =D=

Gemma likes this.
  19. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    That was very sweet! I really felt for Mara. This Lieutenant seems good for her, so I hope his intentions are in the right place. [face_mischief]

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I am glad Mara is moving on with her life. New boyfriend, new friends. As for status as "sister", I think, It's like with Harry Potter and Jinny. They grew up together too, and Harry saw Jinny only as a sister, until other boys noticed that she became pretty young woman. Rylan noticed that Mara is a beautiful girl. And Luke will..eventually.

Gemma and taramidala like this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice! I like seeing Mara happy.

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Mara needed to get out on her own like this. They are both growing and changing. I'm sorry I missed the last update. You know I love you and this fic, gal!!! [face_love] [face_love]

Gemma and Jade_Pilot like this.
  23. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Just finished catching up on the last 7-8 chapters. :) I love this story.

Definitely think Mara and Luke being away from one another for a few years will be best. They are way too much oil and water right now.

I hope Ben and Sola get to see one another again. [face_praying] I kind of like that relationship.

Looking forward to the next update!=D=

Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I just hope this boyfriend of Mara's isn't a spy or double agent

25. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Great banter! You had me cracking up at the end there.

Jade_Pilot likes this.