main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Son of Unveiled Secrets." AU Drama. Obi-Wan, L/M. Chapter #43 Thanks for the nom!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Pilot, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    priceless reactions from Luke about Mara and I wonder how Bail will react to this sudden development?

More soon

Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I like it. But I can't help but wonder how the message from Leia will go over in the future....especially if Luke and Mara start to have feelings for each other. Mara would kill Luke if she heard him talk about Leia the way he does in the movie!

Falling for his biological sister AND his adoptive sister? Things could get rough. Poor Obi-Wan!

Gemma likes this.
  3. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Oh, I think children's teenage years will be sooo interesting, especially for Obi-Wan)[face_laugh]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Many thanks to: Demendora, Jabari, Falcon, mavjade, taramidala, serendipityaey, Nyota'sHeart, and JediMaster_Jen for your faithfulness! I appreciate your encouragement while continuing to read my ff. Y'all really are a fan-ficcer's dream come true! [face_love]

Chapter #9

Ben lifted the large water barrel onto his back and pushed his way into the Anchorhead Cantina, stopping at the counter.

Moina was just finishing up with a customer and strolled over to greet him. “Hey, Handsome. Word has it that you’ve picked up yet another kiddo.” She pulled out the water payment and placed it on the flat surface.

“Hello, Moina. Indeed I have. A little girl named Mara.” He rolled the barrel around to the back of the counter and docked it by the drink distribution station. “She’s waiting in the speeder with Luke.”

Moina raised an eyebrow and folded her arms. “I’d be careful about going off planet then, cowboy. Every time you leave you seem to come back with another kid.”

Ben laughed and pocketed his credits. “I believe I’ve reached my quota on younglings for the time being.”

The waitress sashayed to the window and peered through the blinds of the cantina, spying both children nestled in the back seat. “A ginger like you, huh? Looks mighty suspicious if you ask me, Benny. Sure you’re not picking up the tab of one of your little adventures?”

Ben coughed. “I can assure you that these children are in my care because of extenuating circumstances.”

Moina turned and then trailed a single figure down Ben’s chest. “Sure they are. Anytime you need an adventure, you just give me a call. I’ll see to it that there are no extenuating circumstances, sweet thing.’”

A large group of Rodians barged into the cantina pushing Ben to the side. “Moina! Mi Chuba! Boska!

Moina huffed. “Stoopa Rodians trying to speak huttese, sleemo exhaust for brains.” She led them to a large booth in the back, mumbling the entire way.

Ben took the opportunity to duck out and hopped into the speeder.

“Can we go home now, Uncle Ben?” asked Luke.

“Yes, youngling.”

“Lunch?”

“Always the epicurean, young Luke.”

“I’m just hungry.”

They sped off, leaving Anchorhead in their wake. Upon reaching the farm, the two children bounded out of the landspeeder and ducked into the habitat. Ben made lunch and left the children happily munching while he checked for messages on the comm. Strange that Bail had not made contact. It had been a week since their return and nothing from Alderaan or Coruscant.

“Uncle Ben, will we have training after this?” asked Luke, his mouth full.

“Hmmm?”

Mara turned in her seat towards the comm unit. “He wants to train after we eat, but we always have quiet time after lunch.”

Luke rolled his eyes and took another bite of his meatlump soup.

“Mara is correct. After our hour respite we will work on forms. I think it’s time we begin with training lightsabers, as well.” Ben joined them at the table and picked up his own spoon.

“Eniki!” cheered the boy.

“Basic, please,” chided Ben.

Luke jumped up from the table and circled around the room. “Lightsabers! I’m a Jedi, I’m a Jedi!”

“Not yet, youngling.” Ben smiled as he scooped up the boy and dumped him back into his chair. Looking over at Mara he noticed her somber expression and wondered, yet again, at her lack of emotion. With the exception of the anger on Atzerri, he’d noticed very few feelings from her. “Does that sound acceptable, Mara?”

The young girl pressed her lips together and nodded.

“All right, then. Finish up and we will meet again at fourteen hundred hours.”

Luke flew from his seat, followed by a more sedate Mara. As Ben placed their dishes in the thermo-static cleaning unit, he decided to watch the holonews for any word on the girl’s disappearance. So far, there had been nothing but silence on the subject.

Ben punched a couple keys and settled down into the lounger. He flicked through a few channels and then stopped on the Imperial channel. Nothing. No mention of the child or the planetary lockdown. He tried Galaxy NewsNet and found more of the same. He then decided to splurge and use some extra credits on the Alderaanian HoloNews.

A young man was reading the Alderaan society news when Bail’s name caught Ben’s ear:

Local Royal watchers have submitted that it’s been over a week since any sighting of Viceroy and First Chairman, Bail Organa. It was noted that his last public appearance was on Coruscant during a Senate meeting eight days ago. When asked, a royal spokesperson said that the Prince Regent was on an ambassadorial tour in the Hapes system with his daughter, Princess Leia. Queen Breha Organa held an early morning meeting with her cabinet and then attended the opening of the new children’s med-center in Crevasse City.”

Stranger and stranger. Certainly Bail had no idea whether he and Mara had survived the fabricated Imperial attack. This made no sense. Ben turned off the HoloNews and turned to the comm unit. Should he risk contacting Bail? It had been decided years ago that Bail would be the liaison between the three of them. He had access to better tech and credits that would enable him to disguise their activities. But there was always a risk of Bail’s resources being traced back to him if he sent some their way. Because of this, Ben was mostly on his own with very few exceptions. Yoda had little technology on Dagobah and could not even reach Tatooine.

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply into the Force. He sensed Luke sleeping and Mara at rest. Reaching further, he perceived a tremor of darkness emanating from the core planetary systems. There was turmoil surrounding Coruscant, as shadows seems to shift about the planet. Contrary to the news reports, things were not business as usual. Losing Mara must have ruffled quite a few dark side feathers.

Ben shuddered and ran his hands through his hair. He would have to be more careful in his long range meditations. It was unlikely that he and the children could be sensed from Coruscant and Ben could hide himself quite well. The children were too green to emanate a perceivable signature in the Force from so far away. It was even more implausible that they would consider looking in the outer regions. He doubted Palpatine had established any kind of link with the girl, at least he had not perceived any. Still, caution was merited.

Ben rose from his chair and padded to his bedroom, retrieving the training lightsabers he had constructed previously. Time for the children to take their next step into the Force.

...to be continued.

5. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    awesome update but all the darkness Obi-Wan is sensing can't be a good thing,

More soon

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update and yes that does look/sound like a cover story to me about Bail's actual doings [face_thinking] Hmmm. Also concerning is Mara's lack of emotion. That could be a grief reaction, but things should not be bottled up and kids invariably do not have the well-honed denial thing in place, at least not without a lot more continued exposure to crises, etc. :(

7. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Lots of good things in this update! But Bail being missing (and Leia?) and all that darkness from Coruscant may not be a good thing.

Also, this:
    Kind of made me side-eye Obi-wan a little bit. Really, dude? Why do I think he shouldn't have been quite so dismissive? [face_shame_on_you]

Awesome update!

8. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Very nice, and very intriguing! Moina makes me giggle. But I do wish there was a nice woman in his life to help ease the burden...

9. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Funny how one little girl can set everything upside down! Excellent update, as usual. Loving this story - I can hear Ewan McGregor's voice when I read this.

Gemma, Jade_Pilot and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    Muchos gracias to y'all for reading and especially to divapilot, serendipityaey, taramidala, Nyota's heart, and Falcon for posting a review.

A/N: There is a quote in pro-fic from Ben Skywalker about the first rule of lightsaber use that I use here. I just couldn't remember which novel it was in. If anyone can recall, please let me know and I'll add it to the author's note. Thanks!

Chapter # 10

Ben stood before his two padawans in the empty speeder bay and cleared his throat. “Remember younglings, the first rule in using a lightsaber is:

“Don’t cut your own head off,” Luke and Mara responded in union.

It had been two months since Mara had come to live with them. Two months and still no word from Bail. Alderaan was strangely quiet on the whereabouts of the Viceroy and his daughter. Ben began to consider whether Queen Breha was covering up some kind of mission involving her husband.

“I know that sounds ridiculous, but trust me when I say that lightsabers are not to be used lightly. They are elegant weapons, but—”

“—extremely deadly ones,” recited Mara. The young girl focused on the practice drone as if she were facing down a krayt dragon. Her strikes were precise but infrequent causing her to receive several zaps from the drone. What Luke lacked in finesse he made up for in sheer number of flailing responses, not unlike a certain Jedi Master he used to know.

“Stand down, younglings.” Ben stood and ignited his own lightsaber. “You are forgetting to draw on the Force as your guide. Without the Force you are poorly equipped for battle.” Ben squared off in front of both drones and reached out to the Force. The first drone circled him while the second one danced to his left. Without warning, the drones shot electrical bolts at the same time forcing Ben to dodge with his body and counter with his saber. After ten bolts, the drones slid into sleep mode.

Bargon yanah coto da eetha, Uncle Ben!” shouted Luke.

Ben smiled and extinguished his blade. “I’m not the best, child, but I have had good teachers. Mind your basic please.”

Luke looked over at the young girl and grimaced. The boy was still not 100% accepting of Ben’s new ward, but he hoped, in time, things would move towards a more congenial relationship. As for Mara, she was serious in her studies, but continued to be closed off emotionally even with him.

“That’s enough for today, children. I’ve a trip into Mos Espa that must be made so head inside and get ready to leave. It’s Mara’s turn for the sani-steam first.”

Both children handed their sabers to Ben and moved into the dwelling, Luke racing as he always did.

Mara paused and turned to Ben. “Does he ever just walk?”

Ben thought for a moment. “Not that I can recall, my dear.”

With few minutes to spare, Ben dropped the children at Dama’s and headed south for Mos Espa. Word had reached him that a moisture farmer calling it quits was auctioning off his equipment and droids in the marketplace before the podraces began. He planned to pick up a few much needed items at a good price. Pulling into the Xelric Draw, he taxied a bit and then coasted into a parking area near the Mos Espa Arena. A young slave boy immediately ran up to his landspeeder.

“Kava che?” asked Ben in Huttese.

“Tweentee,” said the boy.

Ben scoffed. “You want twenty to watch my speeder for the day? Too much. I’ll do eetheen.”
    “Eetheen, ya ya!” cried the boy hopping into the speeder.

Ben knew he was being scalped, but hoped the extra money would help to feed the skinny youngling that evening. It was iffy, as most things were in Mos Espa. He handed partial payment to the lad and left the parking area. Passing several shacks and cupolas, he reached the large trading house and entered. The climate-controlled interior was a good twenty degrees cooler.

Proceeding to the main hall, he took a seat and waited for the auction to begin. As Ben glanced about, he felt a stirring in the Force. Several beings were looking around and whispering among themselves. Something was causing a disturbing sensation which filtered through the entire hall.

One of the estate representatives, a pale Twi-lek with a piercing, yellow eyes, moved to the podium and cleared his throat. “Auction 1735 is hereby cancelled due to the sudden arrival of Imperial representatives.” A gasp erupted from the floor as several beings rose and vacated the room. The auctioneer banged a gavel and waved for the remaining attenders to sit down. “We will reschedule the auction after negotiations between the Imperial representatives and the Hutt Cartel are concluded. Jabba Desilijic Tiure wishes to assure everyone that business will continue as before with, perhaps, a few Imperial accommodations. Yanee dah.”

Ben watched as everyone flooded the exit and then found himself at the end of that line. A moisture farmer named, Clauson, turned and faced him. “Imperials on Tatooine. Never thought I’d see that. Wonder what’s got them so interested in this dust ball.”

“I can’t imagine,” said Ben. He looked out the side window and saw stormtroopers patrolling the streets. “They must’ve just landed.”

“All I know is I’m heading back home as soon as I get out of here. Don’t care what the wife wanted at the spice shop.”

Ben had other plans. He slipped out the door and headed to the open-air part of the marketplace to observe and gather intel. Why Mos Espa? Or was this the beginning of a greater Imperial influence in Tatooine? Vendors stood behind their booths while customers hurried past them without stopping. Already the fear of the Empire was affecting life in this rough, criminal-laden town.

Changing plans, Ben walked a little further and then entered the Sandstorm Retreat, the largest cantina in the city. Slipping into the back he slid into a small booth and began to listen to the conversations around him:

“Mee dwanna go sleemo!”

“Naw, I’m sure we’re the first town…”

“How do you know?”

“Bartender, more ale...

“Doompa D'emperiolo stoopa.”

“Better not call them that to their faces.

“Heard they was looking for someone...”

“Half of Mos Espa has someone looking for them.”

“No, they’re looking for kids…”

“Hutts won’t like the empire cutting in on their slave market.”

“Uh uh, I heard it was a specific kid—a girl…”

Ben felt a cold shiver up his spine. He bolted from the booth and left the cantina, bumping into two stormtroopers on the pedwalk.

“Hey, watch it!” The first trooper grabbed Ben by the collar and pushed him against the cantina wall. “Settle down.”

Ben took a deep breath, preparing himself.

The second trooper shoved a flimsie in his face. “You seen this child?”

Ben let out his breath and stared into the face of Mara Jade. “No.”

The trooper pushed Ben down the sidewalk. “Then move along, pal.”

Ben started to run, but thought better of it. He pulled the hood of his cape over his head and bustled to the arena parking lot. The slave boy was still sitting in the back of his landspeeder with his feet crossed on the head rest of the front seat. Tossing the remainder of the boy’s payment to him, Ben jumped into the front seat barely waiting for the youngling to get out.

Home. He must get home. How did they find them? He specifically went to Mos Espa to rent the Headhunter and…. Ben felt his stomach sink. Transponder codes. He had tried to save a little money by not purchasing false transponder codes. The Empire must have traced every ship that left Coruscant during the time frame that Mara was rescued. “Stupid, Kenobi.” He knew better. Not for the first time, he wondered why Palpatine was so adamant about getting her back. The problem now was how to keep her safe because if the Emperor found her, what was keeping him from finding Luke.

Ben bit his lip and accelerated towards home.

to be continued...

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jade_Pilot, that was one edge-of-seat update. First rumblings of ominous is the silence from Alderaan. Then, mention of Mara's continued reserve. Then the capper: :eek: [face_nail_biting] Mara is the specific target of the Imperial goons. They must have orders from someone :p who knows her potential usefulness. [face_worried]

12. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Nooooo! Nope. Don't like this update. Not one bit. [face_nail_biting]

I kid, I kid. Wonderful. But poor Ben. And poor Mara!

My one quibble: check the spellings of "Bail." I saw at least one that was "Bale." Other than that, it was great!

Jade_Pilot likes this.
  13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Very nice. I am all caught up now. Can I get a tag for updates? Thanks!

14. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Oh my. This is not good. And I wonder what happened to Bail?

15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Nice tension! Reminds me of Luke's frantic race home -- but this one won't end the way the movie did.

RIGHT????

Loving this. [:D]

16. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Like reading the relationships between Mara and Luke, and Obi and them, and scary tension! I'm sure he'll make it... Wonder if they'll have to leave...

17. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Not good!! Not good at all. Hope Ben gets Luke and Mara away safely. Maybe they should head for Dagobah. :) As for Bail, his lack of communication as well as his seeming disappearance with Leia...I think maybe he's taken Leia to the Emperor. :eek: Just a guess.

Great work!=D=

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, Jen, that would be a different spin on Bail's character if he did that!!! [face_nail_biting]

Gemma and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Wow they found Ben and Mara. This is so bad. If they found Luke as well and knew it was Vader's offspring. It will not turn out well

sitting on the edge eagerally waiting for more

20. Jade_Pilot

Dec 10, 2005
    A/N: Thanks to those who are reading and a special thanks to Falcon, Nyota's Heart, JediMaster_Jen, serendipityaey, divapilot, Jacen 200015, Jedi_Lover and taramidala for posting responses. I love reading your speculations about where the story is going. Some have some interesting ideas and some seem to have read my mind. @};-

Chapter #11

Ben burst into Huff Darklighter’s office, his secretary trailing behind him. “I’m sorry, Mr. Darklighter, he wouldn’t listen to reason.”

Huff nodded to the men seated around him. “Gentlemen, let’s pick this up tomorrow, same time.”

As one, the well-dressed men rose from the table and exited the room. Left alone, Huff indicated an empty chair. “Have a seat, Kenobi.”

“I can’t. It’s imperative that I speak with you and leave as quickly as possible.”

“Leave? You mean leave Tatooine?”

Ben placed both hands on Huff’s desk, leaning toward the Tatooine native. “Yes, I’ve got to get off planet.”

“Wait just a minute, okay? This isn’t like you at all.”

Ben began to pace the room, running a hand through his hair. “I need to acquire funds that will enable me and the children to depart immediately.”

Huff froze. “What are you talking about? I thought we had an agreement…”

“The three of us are in danger.” Ben stopped pacing and pounded his fist on Huff’s desk. “I need you to purchase the moisture farm and give me the credits.”

“Sit down, Ben.”

“I don’t have time—”

“Sit down!”

Ben fell into the chair in front of the massive wooden desk.

Huff folded his arms across his large belly, cocking his head as if taking Ben’s mettle. Just as Ben was about to get up from the chair, he spoke, “You’re a Jedi, aren’t you?”

Ben’s mouth fell open.

“Thought so. And Luke, he’s got the makings of a Jedi, right?”

Ben nodded.

Huff swiveled in his chair. “Same goes for that little ginger-haired girl?”

Again he nodded letting out a deep breath.

“So why all of sudden do you need to leave?”

“Stormtroopers are in Mos Espa. They are looking for Mara which will, in turn, mean the capture of all three of us.”

“I’ve wondered what happened to the Jedi these last four years. Hoped that there were hiding out, like you. Waiting for when the time was right. I thought this far away in the outer rim, you’d be okay. Seems the Emperor’s reach grows longer every day.”

Ben leaned back in his chair, listening to a large timepiece ticking from the book case. “How long have you known?”

Huff laughed. “Almost from the beginning. You’re not exactly the kind of guy who chooses to live on Tatooine, Ben. But you’ve done all right by Luke. More than all right actually.” Huff stood and walked to a large safe behind a false wall.

“Does anyone else suspect?”

“Nah, I was pretty good at covering your tracks.”

Ben shook his head and sighed. “I don’t know what to say. Thank you.”

Huff stared at Ben with a frown. “I can’t buy the farm, Ben.”

“But—”

Huff reached into the safe and pulled out a small bag and then shuffled through some flimsies. “The farm is in Luke’s name, you’re only acting as guardian with power of ownership on his behalf. Only Luke can sell the farm, but not until he’s twenty-one.”

“Oh, stars.” Ben leaned forward, shaking his head. “What can I do?”

Huff took a packet of flimsies from the stack and placed it on his desk. "Sarha, get in here and bring your stamp!” He picked up a stylist and signed several areas, flipping the pages quickly.

The secretary flitted through the door.

“Notarize this.”

Sarha began to initial and stamp where Huff pointed. “Now you, Kenobi, sign here… and here, also here.”

Ben picked up the stylist. “What are we doing?”

“You’re releasing the running of the farm to me. Luke will still be owner under your guardianship, but I will manage and collect profit for a small fee. In return, I’ll provide you with some credits and three passageways off this rock. I will hold the profits in a ghost account until you contact me, although it may be a while before there is much to send you.” Huff folded up the documents and handed the jingling bag to Ben. “That should get you started. Now, where do you want to go?”

“I…have no idea.”

“Where might you be safe?”

Ben shook his head. “We had thought that Luke would be best served with family, but then the Lars…”

Huff grunted. “So what about the mother’s side? Any family there?”

Ben closed his eyes picturing the dying face of Padme Amidala. The idea of placing Luke with his maternal family had not even been an option at the time. There had to be no suspicion that Padme’s children survived the birth. Keeping them both safe from the Emperor had been imperative and involving the Naberries would have only lead to Luke’s discovery. But what about now? Had enough time passed that a relationship would no longer pose a threat?

“Time’s wasting, Ben. I don’t need a name, just a planet.”

Naboo was near the outer rim and Padme’s family was very well off financially. But how would they handle the idea that they had been lied to all this time. What if they wanted to take the boy from him?

“Ben?”

Ben rose. “Naboo. We’ll head to Naboo.”

“Which city?”

Padme’s family had lived in the capital. He’d try there first. “Theed.”

“Sarha! Purchase three public transport tickets for Naboo! They’ll pick them up at the station.” The secretary returned to her desk as Huff stood and walked Ben to the door. “Get the children and pack up. You flight leaves in—Sarha, when does the flight leave?”

“Three standard hours.”

“Got that?” Huff grabbed Ben’s shoulder and squeezed. “Now hurry.”

“Thank you—”

“Go!” He shoved Ben out the door and watched him jump into his speeder, heading for the inn.

Huff sighed. “Kark, I hope they make it.”

“I don’t understand,” wailed Luke from the back seat.

Ben pulled into the speeder bay and hurried the children into the residence. “There’s little time to explain, son. You are in danger. Prepare your large pack and backpack. Take everything you can. Clothing, shoes, toiletries—you won’t be coming back.”

“But, I don’t want to leave.”

“Neither do I, but we must.” Ben pulled out a large duffle and opened the safe in the living area, stuffing the contents into his bag. He then dragged the duffle to the medicine cabinet in the fresher and emptied the entire contents into the bag. Luke trailed behind him, pulling on his arm.

“But why?”

Ben pulled his arm from Luke’s grasp and ran into his own bedroom. He stuffed his wardrobe into the bag along with shoes and undergarments. Not much time left.

Luke grabbed Ben around the waist, preventing him from continuing. “Don’t, Uncle Ben— ”

“Stop it, Luke—NOW!

Luke dropped to the floor screaming. Tears fell from his face as he began to twist his head back and forth repeatedly.

Ben flinched as the boy fall apart. He crouched down next to him and engulfed him in his arms. “I’m sorry, Luke. I’m so sorry. Shhhh….there’s a good boy. Take a deep breath.” Ben looked up to see Mara’s wide green eyes watching them. “Are you okay, Mara?”

She stood motionless, staring at them. Her face paled as her lower lip began to quiver. “What about me?”

“What, child?”

“What’s going to happen to me?”

Ben closed his eyes and extended his hand to the little girl. “You are coming with us, of course, dear heart.” She fell into Ben’s lap and laid her head on Luke’s back. “We are a family, the three of us. Don’t ever doubt that. Now, look at my face—both of you. That’s good. I don’t have time to explain, but we need to leave here as quickly as we can.”

Luke hiccuped and let out a raged breath.

“I will explain more once we are safe, but for now we must hurry and get to the public transport center. Will you help me, younglings?”

“Yes,” whispered Mara.

“Luke?”

He nodded and wiped his nose on his sleeve.

“Good, now let’s go.”

It took them longer than he had expected, but they were packed and in the landspeeder in about an hour and a half. Traveling to the Anchorhead, Ben sold the speeder and pocketed the measly credits, then raced to the ticket office and picked up their tickets.

“Do we get to fly in a big one?” asked Luke, dragging his pack behind him. He seemed to have settled after his brief melt down.

“Pretty big. It is public transport.” Ben looked down at Mara noting the red-gold hair peeping out from under her hat. “Mara, dear, let’s see if we can render your locks a little less conspicuous.” They detoured to a little stand selling head scarves and purchased a dark blue one. “Now, if I remember correctly…” He wrapped the scarf around the girl’s head, tying it in the back. “Good, now place your hat on top and we’ll be off.”

Thirty minutes later, they were on board and seated in a small cabin. Ben smiled as he realized that Huff Darklighter had spent the extra credits on a private room for them. It was cramped, but more than what he had expected. The engines began to whine as the ship warmed up.

Luke barreled to the window and gazed out. “Look, we can see everything from up here.”

Ben rose and glanced out the window, too. The transport station was higher than the pedway platform and allotted a panoramic-type view.

“Come on, Mara,” said Luke, reaching a hand towards her. “Take a look.”

Mara grasped Luke’s hand and peered out the window, then gasped.

Ben spotted them at the same time. Stormtroopers. Just arriving and disembarking into Anchorhead.

“What’s wrong?” Luke asked, looking between Ben and the girl. “Ouch, Mara, you’re hurting my hand!”

Ben placed a hand on Mara’s shoulder. “Deep breath, sweetling.” He sensed such hatred emanating from the child that he found himself breathing deeply as well. “Let go of your anger.”

“Like this.” Luke took a huge breath, puffing out his cheeks and crossing his eyes. Mara began to smile as Luke blew out, moving Mara’s bangs away from her forehead.

To Ben’s surprise, she burst out laughing. Luke immediately joined in and had all three of them giggling.

Mara paused and then threw her arms around Luke. “Thank you.”

Luke looked up at Ben and smiled. “No problem, we’re family. Right, Uncle Ben?”

“Indeed, we are.” He placed a hand on both youngling’s head. “Now, let’s get into our seats and restraints. It won’t be much longer before we take off.”

Both children sank into their seats and fumbled with the crash webbing, Luke rushing to be first. “Uncle Ben, I’ll be able to look out the portal once we’re in space, right?”

Ben smiled. “Of course, youngling.”

Luke finished installing his harness and beamed up at Ben. “Actually, this is kinda exciting.

“Yes?” whispered Ben.

“Yeah, I’ve been waiting to travel on a space ship my whole life.”

Ben’s smile faded as he turned towards the portal. He only hoped it would be a long and happy one.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome post.
    Huff is a true friend :) Very relieved they got away, and Mara and Luke are closer. :D Feeling more like a family indeed. Ben is a great daddy! LOL ;)

Gemma likes this.
  22. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    I love it! Ben in this story is so different from movies( In my opinion Kenoby and Yoda lied to Luke and manipulated him without any remorse. They didn't care about him). But this Obi-Wan is truly loving guardian.

23. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    I also like how Ben is cracking out of his aloof Jedi shell. :)

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ack! I keep getting behind! I'm so sorry! (Though I'm kinda glad cause I got to skip that cliffhanger. ;) )

I love how excitable Luke is and how calm Mara is. I'm really interested to see what happens when they get to Naboo!
    I loved the part with Luke blowing a breath on Mara's face trying to show her how to calm down... so cute!

Great updates!! I look forward to more!

25. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Love how Mara and Luke are coming closer together and I love the way you protrayed Huff in this.

More soon