main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Songs of The Beatles: The Tournament! [Winner disclosed inside]

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Son of the Suns, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    the two songs you like LEAST? wha?

okay, i'm abstaining for the time being because i love both of them in their own special way. but i'll be back to vote later, after i decide via my very scientific method

2. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    the two songs you like LEAST? wha?

I'm proud to be different. Anyway I still can't hear anything special in these two songs. The other is simply boring and the other tries to be more clever than it really is. So what's so great about them?

3. UrbanJedi

UrbanJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1999
    Yesterday...

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Hehe, I knew Tod was going to say that.

A Day In the Life

It's my second favorite Beatles song after "Let It Be."

5. MikeyKnew

MikeyKnew Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2002
    Man, I seriously feel all alone here! Yesterday is getting blown out of the water! Who'd have guessed that the final vote would be such a landslide?

Yesterday

Tod,

What are your favorite Beatles songs? Please tell me that it's some of the early, derivative stuff
    see also: I Wanna Hold Your Hand
    see also: Love Me Do
    see also: Can't Buy Me Love

6. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Tod,

What are your favorite Beatles songs? Please tell me that it's some of the early, derivative stuff
    see also: I Wanna Hold Your Hand
    see also: Love Me Do
    see also: Can't Buy Me Love

My favourites are early songs like Every Little Thing, Twist And Shout, Please Please Me, Not A Second Time, etc plus later songs like Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever (a song that uses the holy mellotron can't go wrong) and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. But overall I prefer early Beatles.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    a day in the life

8. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    A Day in the Life

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    A Day In The Life jumps out to a 12-3 lead!! :eek:

10. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    NOOOO! Tough! I don't know what to vote for! I probably would vote for DITL, but it seems it's doing so well already that I'll go with...

Yesterday.

That was hard, though.

11. The_Ultimate_Fett

The_Ultimate_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2002
    A Day in the Life.

Second-Best Beatles song ever. (A la Comic Book Guy)

12. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Yesterday at least one of the ones I like is still here...

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    And the winner is....

A Day In The Life!!!!!!

The Bracket

Discussion?

14. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I'm up for discussion!

First let me say that this tournament was great fun. Thanks to Son of the Suns and General Kenobi for taking over.

A Day in the Life isn't a terrible choice, but I still think In My Life should have taken it. I think that if some of the early round matchups were different the tournament could have gone a totally different way.

I'm wondering which songs that weren't even nominated people are surprised by. For instance, "The Long and Winding Road", "If I Needed Someone", "She Said She Said", and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" are all IMO absolute classics that didn't even make the list... and there are so many others.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanks to all who participated. :) Good fun, but yeah, I'm sure with seeding the outcome would have been quite different.

I was disappointed that the Harrison songs dropped off the list so early. Here Comes the Sun and Something are two of my all time faves.

But it was nice to see a true collaborative effort - well, an song where the credit (Lennon/McCartney) was a true indication of who wrote the song.

Ooops. Isn't it (McCartney/Lennon) thesedays. ;)

16. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Oh yeah this tournament was quite fun. I'm sure most you have realized by now that I don't very much like A Day In The Life but I'm not surprised it won.

Overall this type of tournament is quite hard to make to work since songs were placed against each other in alphabetical order. Maybe some random matchups would have been better (or maybe not, I'm not sure). Anyway it seems that the songs that made farthest were the big favourites so maybe it worked.

And I have to say that I'm quite disappointed about the small number of people who voted during this tournament. I think there weren't many rounds which got more than 20 votes. I'm sure there's more Beatles fans in JC.

17. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "I'm sure with seeding the outcome would have been quite different."

Some things would have turned out differently, but I think DITL winning was inevitable.

It was a very fun tournament, and thanks to General Kenobi for taking over. :) I'm still disappointed about "Let It Be" not even making the final four, though.

18. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    It was really cool, and thanks to all those who ran this, and all who participated. :) Definitely I was sad songs like Strawberry Fields Forever, Something, Tomorrow Never Knows etc etc dropped away . . . but overall I'm pleased A Day In The Life won, as that song is class. ;) :D

R.

19. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    And thanks to all of you who loyally participated in this tournament! It was fun! :)

It just goes to show how The Beatles can have so many different songs that are considered to be "the best" by different fans. I'm sure a seeding setup would have made for a different final 8 or 4 songs, but I wonder what song could have knocked off A Day In The Life (it did beat Hey Jude nicely!)...

And I was also disappointed that several great Harrison songs made early exits (While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes The Sun, Something), but they had tough matchups.

20. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Much thanks to General Kenobi for his work on this, and thanks to Son of the Suns for his previous work on it. Great job, everyone. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.