main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony Prepares for Iraq war game...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by the_chosen_two, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    As I cant link to the sight, heres the story from GamePro:

Sony Wastes No Time With Iraq Game
    10-APR-03
    Sony Computer Entertainment America generated the ire of antiwar commentators today when it was revealed they filed a trademark request with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to use the term "Shock and Awe" as a video-game title.
    The trademark registration, reported by the Guardian newspaper in the U.K. today, gives SCEA the right to make games using the term used by the U.S. government to describe their heavy-bombing tactics in the Iraq war. Sony filed for the trademark on March 21?a day after the bombing began?in order to use it in video and computer games, as well as multiplayer broadband titles. No other information was revealed on Sony's plans.

Video-game companies often register trademarks for games months, or even years, before they're announced; many of them end up never being used, but often they lend a clue to publishers' future game-release strategies. "Sometimes registering trademarks does not necessarily mean the product will be launched," a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesman told the Guardian. "But if it was deemed unsuitable, then we might not ship it here. If indeed it is related to the Iraqi war rather than just using that phrase, then yes, it might well be something we would be very sensitive to."

Could it be a little to soon?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
  3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's not too soon as there's no game in development.

As the article says, it's just that SCE now own that phrase 'shock and awe' to potentially be used as a video game title someday down the line.

It's just business practise.

I highly doubt you'll be bombing Saddam's palace on your PS2 anytime soon.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree with jp-30.

IIRC, it took a long time for Gulf War One games to come out.

5. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    Heh, of all the stupid things...:p

I think the game would be really boring, because not much really happened that could be put into a video game, lol.

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    As long as its realistic... i dont think there are actually any realistic war games out

7. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    i think ghost recon is extremely close to a realistic game

8. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    I found a comp in my Hotel in Reno, But verry verry slow...

I started this thread, so Ill end it with this news. From Gamepro.com-

SCEA Withdraws 'Shock And Awe' Trademark
    15-APR-03
    In a press release posted on their webpage today, Sony Computer Entertainment announced that it has withdrawn their U.S. subdivision's application to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to register the term "shock and awe" for use in video games.
    "Sony and SCEI management recognize that the subdivision's application was an inappropriate decision that lacked an understanding of the current state of affairs," SCE's statement read. "Sony Group will improve their code of conduct to keep problems like these from repeating themselves in the future."

The trademark application, filed by Sony Computer Entertainment America a day after the war in Iraq began, would have allowed the company to use the trendy government phrase in video games and broadband online titles. However, Sony has apparently ordered its U.S. division to rescind the application in the face of European and Japanese criticism of SCEA's lack of tact.

One can't blame SCEA for seizing upon a business opportunity, however?sales of desert-combat games have surged as U.S. activity in the Middle East continues. SCEA's own SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs, a PlayStation 2 online title pitting U.S. special-forces units against groups of terrorists, has sold over a million copies in America since it launched last August.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The cynic in me wonders if this is because the 'shock and awe' phase of the Iraq invasion never actually eventuated, making (as has been mentioned previously) a pretty lame basis for a game of that name.

10. President-JarJar

President-JarJar Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    That's somewhat Stupid.

Anyways, That'd be fun to go Bomb Saddam!

...But anyways, the next best thing, is Conflict: Desert Storm, which I'm going to get when it comes out later this month for the GameCube!

Dubya vs. Saddam ... :p

"Time to Bomb Saddam."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.