main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony to Release OT Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by OCB the Hutt, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCB the Hutt

OCB the Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 6, 1999
  2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Heh. "Exclusive packaging, posters, screensavers, yada yada yada..."

But no word on any remastering or remixing (i.e. quality improvement).

[face_plain]

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Even if the second Max Rebo piece is on there, I won't buy it. I have a pretty good version of it already, thank you.

Star Wars has too many versions of everything :p

4. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    I'm a sucker for these things, so I'll probably get a set. I have all the other CD's so far and believe it or not I listen to all of them...LOL

5. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    I was half-expecting something like this. If it's just a repackaged version of the RCA SE scores (with screensavers!), I won't be bothering.

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I already have all the music I need from the OT with the Special Edition sets. I probably won't be picking this set up, unless perhaps the ROTJ score has better sound quality.

7. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I don't really get the point of this - besides making more money obviously - what I want is my damn AOTC Ultimate Edition. If they can keep putting out OT albums, surely to God they can release a better AOTC score. [face_plain]

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree with the Pooj. Also where is the remixed, Pro-Tools'ed, fixed and new sounding remaster job on these OT scores?

9. StarWarsFan2005

StarWarsFan2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2004
    I was debating wether or not to post...but I wrote Lucas Licensing regarding the complete score for AOTC, and they wrote me back saying they do want to release the score (which is finished by the way), but with costs for the Soundtrack market these days (basically how much it costs to release a soundtrack) it's kind of impossible...which I think is kind of b.s. Because this just proves with Sony releasing this box set doesn't cost that much. Perhaps they're holding out til either just before Ep III's release, or after...

Lucas Licensing said it is an important objective of theirs to release the 2-disc set for AOTC, but I guess it's just a matter of when they'll release it...so we'll be seeing it some day, we just gotta be paitent and wait. I too really want the 2-disc set for AOTC really bad. And I'm sure they'll eventually release a 2-disc set for Ep III's score when the time is right after it's been written and the OST's been released.

Trent

Edit: And this is true what I stated above about me writing Lucas Licensing...I've scanned the reply letter from Lucas Licensing and have it saved on my parents pc...

10. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The fact that the OT cds are being re-released now probably has mostly to do with marketing strategy, and the fact that Sony now has the distribution rights. When would profit of an OT release be maximized? When interest is peaked with the dvd release, of course.

I can't believe that an AOTC "UE" would not be profitable. However, it is a question of maximizing said profit, as well as where it falls on the priority list compared to other profitable ventures.

Did I use the word "profit" enough? :p

11. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    I think an AOTC U.E. will be profitable but as you said General, it's just part of the marketing strategy, and where they place it on their priority list.

Trent

P.S. You did use the word "profit" enough lmao...

12. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I can't believe they would release the OT soundtracks before the AOTC: UE even comes out. I really hope they don't plan on releasing it after 10-20 years. Plus, isn't there enough fans out there who want to see that AOTC: UE out already? I don't really think making us wait and fester a long time is a good marketing plan.

13. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    There was an article I read that someone gave an interview to Lucas Licensing some last year about the UE for AOTC and Lucas Licensing said that they doubt we'd have to wait 15 years for the UE of AOTC to be released like what we had to do for the Special Edition soundtracks of the OT.

Trent

Edit: I can't believe they're not releasing the UE of AOTC first either....but this thing for the Original Trilogy music is probably just to boost up profit and the sales pitch for the OT.

14. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    Okay I read on another board that from StarWars.com that Sony appearently has gone back re-mastered all 3 scores with the multi-channel surround sound system. So it's most likely possible that all 3 scores will have perfect sound espically ROTJ.

Trent

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, here's the specific quote from the OS:

"The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound."

16. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    *nods* And the reason why they're releasing these scores is to help premote the Original Trilogy DVD set (which I plan on buying). And they said next year the Ep III OST will be released...so my theory is that with Lucas Licensing having the 2-disc set for AOTC done..sometime after the OST for Ep III's been released (probably later next year) they'll most likely end up releasing the 2-disc set for AOTC. Then probably sometime after Ep III's been out on DVD they'll release the 2-disc set for that score as well most likely sometime in 2006. I don't think they'll stop releasing the 2-disc sets for the Star Wars music with the Original Trilogy...it doesn't make any sense...I doubt Lucas would deny us music fans to hear Episode II and III's music in it's complete form.

Trent

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Sony appearently has gone back re-mastered all 3 scores with the multi-channel surround sound system.

Well, they have remastered the soundtracks for the dvds to 5.1.

Are we going to get remastered cds as well? The reason I ask that is because in that promo link in the first post, I saw nothing about improved sound quality.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Remastering is only the last step. These recordings need to be taken back to the original tapes, restored and cleaned up, remixed and THEN remastered.

Until I see that this is what has been done, their little remastering process doesn't thrill me much. One can, after all, remaster crap.

19. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    Uhhhh what do you think RE-MASTER means!? They have gone back to the ORIGINAL TAPES...that's how they are able to RE-MASTER the scores....

GK edit: That part wasn't necessary. Could we please discuss without getting personal or insulting?

Trent

Edit: How do you think they're able to re-master the Original Trilogy DVD set? They went back to the ORIGINAL film elments...that's why the picture quality has improved so dramatically...and it's no different for these scores...they've gone back to the ORIGINAL TAPES.

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, in my earlier post, I think I mentioned remixing. ;)

My point is, of course, is the sound quality going to be improved, or the same as the SE releases?

21. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    Digital Remastering presents a new approach to increasing the loudness of recordings, without creating any artifacts.The algorithms and audio processing programs are specifically optimized for lifting the effective loudness of audio material. Even on a mix which has been set to maximum level, digital remastering can increase the subjective loudness and the 'punchiness' of the material with soft/hard boost. All parameters for dynamic processing are controlled by the material itself and are constantly updated. Presets let you choose the basic way of working, and help reduce the number of parameters for ease of use and optimal results: no 'pumping', no 'breathing' - and guaranteed no clipping!

Found that on a website....so with the essence of re-mastering they do the re-mixing as well...

Trent

22. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    Oh, and btw everyone, here's the OS story on it

On September 21, the day the Star Wars Trilogy makes its long-awaited debut on DVD, Sony Classical will release new, two-disc collector's editions of the soundtrack recordings of all three films in the trilogy -- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.

The heart of this collection is the original musical soundtrack, composed and conducted by John Williams and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound.

In addition, each two-disc set comes complete with new exclusives. The packaging features dramatic 3-D lenticular images, as well as some never-before-seen images from each of the films. Each soundtrack comes with a movie poster foldout, created especially for these releases. The discs come loaded with screen savers featuring images previously available only in Japan -- rare book covers of The New Jedi Order and Clone Wars book series, long prized by collectors and fans.

With this release of the trilogy soundtrack CDs, the entire collection of Star Wars film music is now on the Sony Classical label. In 1999, Sony Classical released the single-disc soundtrack to Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. In 2000, a two-disc "Ultimate Edition" of this soundtrack was released, followed in 2002 by the single-disc soundtrack to Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones.

In 2005, Sony Classical will complete the entire saga with the original soundtrack recording of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. In all six musical soundtracks, John Williams conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in original scores that are linked by signature themes and musical motifs.

The two-disc collector's editions of the soundtrack recordings will be available for preorder on StarWarsShop.com on August 24.

For more information about Sony Classical, visit their website here.

Thankfully it does mention remastering

I can sleep soundly tonight :D

//*Edit: Or...we can all look at Lord_Hydronium's post too but still :p

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nope sorry Trent. Remixing and remastering are two different processes. Remastering is done from the original MASTER tapes. Remixing goes back to the original multitrack recordings, cleans them up, remixes them down to two or sometimes now 5.1 channels and then remasters them, creating a NEW master.

24. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    In 2005, Sony Classical will complete the entire saga with the original soundtrack recording of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith.

That caught my eye...I wonder if that means just the ORIGINAL soundtrack....or if they'll have the 2-disc set for Ep III and Ep II released as well by the end of next year??? That's something to think about and wait..

Trent

Edit: Had to re-word that...since they're releasing IV-VI 2-disc sets, and we've all ready got Ep I's 2-disc sets out.

25. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    We're still waiting for the two-disc TPM set, and don't tell me "Ultimate Edition."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.