main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony to Release OT Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by OCB the Hutt, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    How could you not want Dawn of the Empire? :eek:

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I know we are getting a bit off topic, but "Return To Tatooine" is an awesome track.

(Not to mention the oft-played "Dawn Of The Empire". :D)

3. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    "Return To Tatooine" is the BEST cue on the whole soundtrack :D

4. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I won't be buying these. I have the SEs, and there's really not much incentive to buy them again.

Pretty packaging, posters, and screen savers isn't enough for me to take another swim.

I'd buy AOTC UE without even blinking, though.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Maybe there's some new music. In that case, I have to get them!

6. Fettcrom

Fettcrom Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    Hi guys and gals.

This does seem like another way to promote the dvd release and a chance for a little more cash.

I know we should be grateful for what we have but I think it is a real shame that the EP1 UE was so chopped up, we are obviously missing some Williams there as a few cues are repeated and stuff as we know.

A two disc of AOTC should be released as so many bits and pieces of the score can be heard while viewing but not on the CD. Somone reported before on this web site that the final part of AOTC (The Arena) was never intended to have new music by John as the film's FX were still being completed, as was the editing of the footage so a decision was made to use old music from TPM. Can't remember who said that. You guys probably have a better idea than me.

I was interested to find that some of you have made your own compilations. Have you done this by down loading the missing pieces or taking them from computer games etc. I know from experience that some of the games have had music in them not included on the soundtracks and film score monthly has listed these breakdowns aswell.

Would any of you be happy to share these compilations or provide and idea how to do it myself.

I love this stuff and would love to have it all.

And in response to an earlier comment about alternate cues etc, it's always to could to hear music abandoned or used differently. It's good to imagine what some of this stuff would look like. E.G. Vader contacting Luke at the beginning of Jedi while making his sabre. The mind just runs rampant listening to the unused stuff.

Don't die on us yet John, you still have important work to do.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, I am still hoping for a dramatic improvement in sound quality. THAT would make these releases worth every penny.

8. StarWarsFan2005

StarWarsFan2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2004
    I still think this re-release will still sell good. I'm sure there a lot of fans out there that never were able to or just couldn't buy the Special Edition versions in the 90's when they were released. And I'm sure a 2-disc set for AOTC will be a big sell too. Almost every person I've talked said they can't wait for a 2-disc set for AOTC. Plus do not forget there's A LOT of Star Wars fans ALL over the world who will most likely buy these scores. Who knows MAYBE between October of this year, and May of 2005 the 2-disc set of AOTC might be released. But that's just a maybe, we can not be for sure certain, we just have to wait and see.

Trent

9. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Fettcrom, if you are referring to fan-made editions of TPM, the best place to start would be this site.

10. Fettcrom

Fettcrom Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    Thanks dani1138, I'll check that out.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The only one I'd buy is ROTJ, because the SE had such horrible sound quality. But I would buy a complete AOTC soundtrack without thinking and never regret it. It's just, I already have these other ones, the ANH and ESB SEs had pretty good sound quality, so there's no reason to re-buy them.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    My SE versions are, shall we say, a little worse
    for wear, so these are a must buy. A bit pricey
    to be sure, but maybe they'll be on sale in week
    one like the DVD's are.

DVD's = About $45
    CD's = About $60

Total = About $110 :eek:

13. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    Geez, Amazon is slow at posting stuff like this....

Trent

14. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    All right, I read this entire thread to see if these new releases are just repackages of the SE 1997 stuff, which was a little bit of new music, but overall, the same stuff I already own.

Yes, I think you all guessed it, I did not buy the SEs for music I mostly already had.

I have the Trilogy boxed set, with that 4th disc and that comprehensive booklet. I like that set, and I like TPM UE Two disc set a lot. I did not notice what you were all talking about with choppy cues, etc. I like that set so much more than the single disc TPM.

See, my problem is, I own each movie individually, in single disc format (except for SW, which was 2-discs originally, like the record) - Then I upgraded to the 4-disc set, and bought the released Soundtracks for both PT movies, and got the 2-disc TPM, and will buy the AOTC 2-disc whenever they get around to releasing it.

But I will not pay money - AGAIN - for the same stuff. I have so much overlap as it is - how much can they REALLY remaster these original tapes? Seriously?

And I hate the covers of these new ones. I likes the SE covers, but not these.

If I can get a deal on the SE or the new versions, like on eBay for an insanely low price, I would consider it - but only then. Not shelling out all this money for stuff I already own twice...

Agree?

Madine out

15. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    Madine, if you didn't buy the SE's, then you are missing an hour of great music from Return of the Jedi.

16. GenMadine

Mar 7, 2002
    How great can it be?

What am I missing that is really so important besides the new ending music?

And am I missing anything at all worth justifying the cost - of ANH and ESB?

Are the cue chronological on the S.E. releases? - like on the 2-disc Phantom Menace CDs?

Madine out

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes the scores are in film order. You are also missing music from ANH and ESB as well. The anthology is NOT complete by a long shot

18. GenMadine

Mar 7, 2002
    I guess I am thinking the word Anthology implies completion.

Perhaps it does not. It really does mean a compilation, but the implied complete set, as in if I get something called Anthology I get it all, is really just an assumption.

It is fair to say, though, that since they collected all previously released music, or a great deal of it, and compiled into this set, it all has been Anthologized.

Strilo - so I wrote this in the other thread, I am curious now - Are you a fan of the Anthology set at all? Did I waste me money purchasing that?
    I did get it literally YEARS before the SEs were released...

I saw some auctions on eBay for these SE CDs. I like the cover art better, so I will wait until the new versions are released and have you guys tell me if they are indeed the same sets with different cover art, once they are finally released and we find out for sure.

I really do not care for the artwork on this new release. I like it as a DVD artwork, though I am not crazy about the Luke and the Vader pics on ROTJ, but as a CD artwork, it just does not work.

Madine out

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I think the Anthology was a great release at the time. I was ecstatic to finally have some of that music and for it to sound SO much better than the previous releases. It is worth having to me, but I am also a completist when it comes to these things. But in most cases, the SE releases just eclipsed the Anthology set.

20. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    Ok, here goes... A complete list of music that appears on the SE's, but was cut from the Anthology set:

A New Hope

i) The Final 25 seconds of The Moisture Farm (Previously titled The Robot Auction) are cut.
    ii) Approx. the first 30 seconds of Attack of the Sandpeople (Previously titled Land of the Sandpeople) are cut.
    iii) The second half of Tales of a Jedi Knight and all of Learn About the Force (approx. 3 minutes of music in all) are absent.
    iv) The bonus track Binary Sunset (Alternate) is not present, neither are the five original takes of the Main Title that can be found at the end of the SE disc 1.
    v) The first 20 seconds of Imperial Cruiser Pursuit (Previously titled Blasting Off) are cut.
    vi) The 2 minute long cue The Stormtroopers is not present.

The Empire Strikes Back

i) 10 seconds of The Ice Planet Hoth (Previously titled The Imperial Probe) are cut.
    ii) The 3 minute cue Vision of Obi-Wan is not present.
    iii) The entire 4 1/2 minute track The Imperial Probe / Aboard the Executor is not present.
    iv) A 2 second cut was made to Escape In the Millenium Falcon (Previously titled The Rebels Escape Again).
    v) The last 1 1/2 minutes approx. of Arrival on Dagobah (Previously titled Crash Landing) is not present.
    vi) The 3 1/2 minute cue Mynock Cave was not included on the Anthology set, despite it's earlier (truncated) appearance on the original Empire soundtrack.
    vii) The second half of The Training of a Jedi Knight (approx. 1 minute of music) is not present.
    viii) The cue Imperial Starfleet Deployed, which runs for approx. 1'15, is not included.
    ix) The entire 3'46 track Betrayal at Bespin is absent.
    x) The entire 2'37 track Deal With the Dark Lord is absent.
    xi) A 40 second alternate segment of Carbon Freeze was not included.
    xii) 10 seconds of The Rebel Fleet/End Title (Previously titled Finale/End Credits) is cut.

Return of the Jedi

i) The following cues do not appear in any form on the Anthology:
    - Tatooine Rendezvous (4'03 approx.)
    - The Droids Are Captured (1'17)
    - Bounty For a Wookiee (2'50)
    - The Pit of Carkoon (1'00 approx.)
    - Alliance Assembly (2'13)
    - Speeder Bike Chase/Land of the Ewoks (9'38)
    - The Levitation/Threepio's Bedtime Story (2'46)
    - Jabba's Baroque Recital (Source Music) (3'09)
    - Jedi Rocks (Source Music) (2'42)
    - The Lightsaber (1'36 approx.)
    - Victory Celebration (2'30 approx.)
    - Ewok Feast/Part of the Tribe (Source Music) (4'02)
    ii) Approx. the last minute of Han Solo Returns is the original version written for the film, instead of the segment of the concert piece Jabba the Hutt that appeared on all previous releases.
    iii) Only 3 1/2 minutes is included from the 8'51 cue Luke Confronts Jabba/Den of the Rancor/Sarlacc Sentence on the Anthology (The track entitled Fight in the Dungeon).
    iv) Almost 3 minutes of music for the cue Obi Wan's Revelation (which was written to follow on directly from The Death of Yoda) are absent.
    v) A slightly different version of Shuttle Tyderium Approaches Endor (Previously titled Faking the Code) appeared on the Anthology; the film version is presented on the SE.
    vi) The 10'40 track Brother and Sister/Father and Son/The Fleet Enters Hyperspace/Heroic Ewok is cut down to about 6 minutes of music on the Anthology (the tracks Heroic Ewok/The Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace and Brother and Sister).
    vii) Approx. 2 minutes of The Battle of Endor 1 is cut.
    viii) Approx. 1 minute of The Battle of Endor 2 is cut.
    ix) Approx. 2 minutes of The Battle of Endor 3 is cut.

Think I got all of them.

So, overall you're looking at 20 minutes missing from ANH (if you include the 5 Main Title takes), 22 minutes from

21. StarWarsFan2005

Jun 28, 2004
    So basically get the Special Edition sets! [face_laugh]
    And if you want to do what I'm going to do ...get this new set that Sony is releasing end of the month.

Trent

22. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Does anyone know if the rerelease is going to have the Michael Matessino liner notes?

23. Neil_S_Bulk

Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Dani, I don't have the SE albums where I'm at right now, but isn't "Destruction of Alderaan" only heard on the SE?

You mention that the 5 alternate takes of the main theme are not heard on the Anthology. That's partially correct. There is an alternate at the start of disc 4 (I think it's take 20, but it's been a long time since I played that disc) and the main title played at the start of Star Wars is also an alternate!!!

I know, shocking as it may seem, but the main title to Star Wars is a composite of the three takes (18, 19 and 20). Take 19 has the correct opening, but very little else of it was used in the correct final assembly. For instance the gong heard as the camera tilts down to the planet is completely missing on the Anthologies main title track on Star Wars because they only used take 19.

There are a lot of alternate takes that crept into Star Wars on the Anthology. You can even hear some flubbed performances that weren't ever supposed to be heard (listen to the errant trumpet I think at the end of "Ben's Death and TIE Fightter Attack"). The SE corrected all of these issues by utilizing the correct takes.

And no, with the pull out posters being included with these re-issued CD's I would expect the informative liner notes to be completely dropped.

Neil

24. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    That's not good. The liner notes were the second best thing about the SE releases. Unless the sound quality is extremely improved, I'm thinking I'll just stick to the SEs.

25. Neil_S_Bulk

Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    I don't think the sound is going to be improved either. I'm of the belief that Sony simply took the existing SE masters and ran them through a DSD machine. That will not improve the sound, but it does give the marketing department something to write about. And even then, they screw up. The original press release mentioned "surround sound". That was just a PR person writing something down that they clearly did not understand.

No, these new albums, are not meant for people like us, and that's fine. They are meant for people that don't already own the scores are maybe are hearing them for the first time via the new DVD's. It's really a smart thing for Sony to issue these now.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.