main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony to Release OT Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by OCB the Hutt, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Neil, Destruction of Alderaan is on Disc 4 of the anthology (track 4 I think). I knew something about the wrong takes being used, but wasn't sure enough about it to add it to the list. I never realised the flubbed takes were that extensive though.

Regarding the Main Title takes, I think for a completist they are a must (even though I've probably only listened to each of them twice all the way through) - The different intro featured on two (?) of the tracks is pretty interesting. In this respect I do consider them to almost be alternates, since there are little bits in each of them that are different to the film version (or should I say, film edit), although probably not significantly different enough for the casual buyer. I wonder if Sony will leave them off the new releases?

2. Neil_S_Bulk

Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    I did some research into "Destruction of Alderaan" and came here with one minute left to edit my post. I didn't make it in time. Damn stupid dial-up. :) You are correct, it's on the Anthology.

Oh I love the alternate takes of the main title and actually have them all cut apart on my iPod so I can hear them individually. And yes, there are many many many examples on the Anthology of alternate takes being used. At times I thought they were just different mixes, but no, it's just another take being used. It's interesting to listen to, but not the way Williams and his team intended the music to be heard.

Neil

3. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Or here...

[image=http://images.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_rppi/580.0.90.0/circuitcity/large/040919_6_27aza.jpg]

For $14.99 is a good price for each.

Same as this I suppose...

Exclusive 3D lenticular front card art
    Exclusive all-new movie poster fold-out
    Exclusive CD extra screen savers
    Exclusive CD slipcase

The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound.

In addition, each movie's two-disc set comes complete with new exclusives. The packaging features dramatic 3-D lenticular images, as well as some never-before-seen images from each of the films. Each soundtrack comes with a movie poster foldout, created especially for these releases. The discs come loaded with screen savers featuring images previously available only in Japan -- rare book covers of The New Jedi Order and Clone Wars book series, long prized by collectors and fans.

what I want is my damn AOTC Ultimate Edition.

Same here!!! :)

4. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I'd bet you anything they're holding off on the two disc AotC Soundtrack until Williams records new music for the Geonosis Battle.

5. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    I will get this, because I ONLY have the Empire Strikes Back SE CD... not ANH, or ROTJ.

$14.99 isn't bad. I wonder how much they will sell the whole package for. $44.97?

6. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I'd bet you anything they're holding off on the two disc AotC Soundtrack until Williams records new music for the Geonosis Battle.

I wish. But it's likely that Sony is witholding the complete score (yes, it exists, but we're not getting it anytime soon) because they don't believe it's profitable.

And they may be right.

7. StarWarsFan2005

StarWarsFan2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2004
    Why do you people constantly insist that a 2-disc set for AOTC will not be profitable? Have you forgotten the MANY fans around the WORLD that are eagerly wanting this score? The 2-disc set for AOTC will be profitable...you people have to quit thinking so negativly... *rolls his eyes*

8. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    BestBuy sells the Trilogy Boxset of THE Soundtrack for $44.99. I wanted it (decided to get the whole set, instead of ANH & ROTJ), but they are SOLD OUT. I went to Circuit City, they DON'T have it either, so I am just now going to order it online at Best Buy.com.

Does anyone have it? Can you do me a favor, please tell me the UPC #s. Thanks!!!

I wonder if any of the Bonus stuff on the CD is Very Cool? Can those of you got it pleae tell me?

Or perhaps put it online?

Maybe you can't, but that's fine.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The recordings have been newly remastered using Sony Music's DSD (Direct Stream Digital) multichannel surround sound.

So will they sound better on a normal stereo than the SE releases?

10. MJedi

MJedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 17, 2000

So will they sound better on a normal stereo than the SE releases?

I'd like to know as well. Any reviews about this re-release?

The ROTJ SE soundtrack music quality (especially Disc 2) has been bugging me for years, and only now did I find out in this thread that it's a real problem. If the ROTJ re-release is better, then I'm getting that... and I might as well get the ANH and ESB sountracks so I have a complete collection. :D

11. DarthLarry

DarthLarry Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    i just bought Empire cos of lack of funds and its my favorite! :)

but what i want to know is how you access the extra stuff? it says pop in the disc, go to starwars.sonyclassical.com and click unlock & go. when i type in that URL, it takes me to an Episode II page. i checked the main site and the only section they have for SW is for the prequels.

what's the deal?!?!?!!?

i want my screensaver!!!

12. DarthLarry

DarthLarry Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    oh, what little i've listened to, it sounds great! i know every sound on Empire's score and there were new things that were brought to my attention--specifically inner voices and subtle percussion and what not. and this was barrelling down the highway too, so obviously it wasn't the greatest setup! i'm sure there will be more to discern on a better system.

oh and glad to hear the pageturn is still audible in the middle of the droid theme on hoth!!

13. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I see. But Empire has excellent sound quality, what you REALLY need to listen to for comparison is Return of the Jedi. Then we'll know.

14. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Again, anyone with the Boxset can you tell me the UPC # thanks!

15. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Please??? Who has it?

16. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm thinking of buying Empire, as the £8.99 price tag is a fantastic excuse to indulge in the score to my favourite film.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    JM22: What do you need the UPC for? Just go to the website and type Star Wars into the search box. . .

18. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1387271

19. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Still no one has said whether or not ROTJ sounds any better? I'm interested in buying it, but not if it's just the same as the SEs.

20. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I would like to know about RotJ's sound quality as well. Disc two of my SE has a scratch on it during "Leia's News/Light of the Force" and if the sound quality is better on these new releases, I may decide to pick it up.

21. Hud

Hud Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2004
    Hey I've brought the boxset of all three I don't have the special edition's except Empire but all of the disks sound the same quality (Excellent)I don't notice a drop from Empire to Jedi. Hope this is of help, what was the problem with Jedi anyway so I can listen out for it?

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    From JWFan.Net:

"Okay folks. I just listened to several selections from Return of the Jedi from both my RCA set and my friend's Sony set. And to my ears...

...they sound exactly the same. The first track I listened to was "The Battle of Endor III", which I always thought was the worst sounding track of all. It sounds just as bad on the Sony disc. I checked out several other tracks too, and I couldn't tell any difference. I haven't checked out the first two scores because really, I've always been pretty content with them.

So if there is any difference, I certainly can't tell.

No sale here."

23. MJedi

Mar 17, 2000
    Hey I've brought the boxset of all three I don't have the special edition's except Empire but all of the disks sound the same quality (Excellent)I don't notice a drop from Empire to Jedi. Hope this is of help, what was the problem with Jedi anyway so I can listen out for it?

I want to know if there were extras included in the set compared to just buying the individual CD's. I haven't seen the set in stores yet, only the individual CD's. It's on amazon.com though.

Listen to ROTJ Disc 2, especially the 3 tracks for the Battle of Endor. Listening to the SE soundtrack, it's as if the treble was turned down.

From the review quoted above, however, it doesn't seem like there is a difference from the SE soundtrack. What a shame.

24. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I have to agree with the reviewer from JWFAN. Mostly because...well, he's me. ;)

25. MJedi

Mar 17, 2000
    PEZman4,

Did you get the box set? Is there anything extra you get by getting the box set instead of the individual CD's? (Aside from the nice box to match the DVD's.) Thanks.

Disappointing to hear that there is no difference. And yet, some people in that message say there is a difference. I wonder if there will be a professional review soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.