main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony to Release OT Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by OCB the Hutt, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    UK members might want to go down to their local Virgin store, as the Special Edition CD of Empire is currently going for £6:99. I picked one up today. I saw the boxset of the new ones, priced £24:99 but couldn't afford it. If the other two Special Editions come down to £6:99 as well (which I'm sure they will once this branch of Virgin gets copies of those particular films' 2004 versions sent in) I will probably buy them too.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, how's this DSD work exactly? I take it it's not compatible with older machines- as it's not coming through in surround through my DVD player; what kind of hardware is needed?

3. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    MJedi, I didn't buy the new set. My friend (who only owned the prequel scores previously) did. He let me borrow his copy of ROTJ to do some comparisons. It sounds exactly like the RCA version to me.

I'll try to ask him about the extras on the discs.

And Quest, I believe that DSD just means Sony ran them through a computer or something to be able to say they did. The discs play on any CD player. You might be able to get surround if you put them in an SACD player, but I'm not sure about all that.

4. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    My SE version of ROTJ sounds great on my small personal/portable CD player, but on my computer, it sounds like crap. It all depends on what you're playing it on.

I want to buy the new versions of these soundtracks, mostly because my old ones' cover art do not match. I am going to sell my old ones for like $10 each, and just save up the extra $15 and buy the boxed set of the soundtracks.

5. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I just picked it up, and WOW!!!

Each CD has images of Star Wars characters, listings.

This NEW version is INDEED AWESOME!!!

I didn't have ANH, and ROTJ previously, so it's A GREAT deal AFAIAC! Or pick it up, if you are just a collector!

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    But how would you rate the audio quality compared to the RCA discs from the Special Editions?

7. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Sounds good, but I will do a comparasion thing tomorrow.

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    General Kenobi, jwfan.net has an analysis of the audio quality of the Sony release of the soundtracks as it compares to the RCA release. There are also sound clips from both versions of RotJ and there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, my new ROTJ discs don't sound much better either. The movie soundtrack on the DVD of ROTJ sounds fabulous, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.