main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony VX-2000

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AWB1989, Sep 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I don't have this camera, but I never see any threads about this camera. I am just wondering why I never see a thread about this camera. Is there something bad about it?

2. Art_Vandalet

Art_Vandalet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    no, there's nothing wrong with it.

3. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

I love the VX-2000 and prefer it over the XL1.

For some reason the XL1 has become the holy grail of cameras for fan film makers. Unless you just have loads of cash or you are a very experienced cameraman/cinematographer it doesn't make much sense.

At one point I wanted to plan a side-by-side comparison of the XL1 and the VX2000 with the help of ShawnPTH, but I haven't had the time.

I know the XL1 has the potential of producing a higher quality image but I wanted to see if it was truly worth the extra $1200.

Aside from the lens, and 30fps progressive mode on the XL1, there is very little difference between the cameras. One difference that factored into my decision was the hi-res flip out monitor on the VX-2000. That feature has been extremely valuable to me.

4. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    Oh, cool, but I don't have the money to spend that much money on a camera.

5. a_ht

a_ht Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Just wondering of the sony vx-2000 is IEEE 1394 compatible. They don't say so, nor mention anything on that regard on their web site. Does anyone knows? Perhaps ExFilms will be hable to answer that.

PS IEEE 1394 is FireWire

6. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001

Yes the VX2000 does have that. (I think just about any digital video camera has that now but I could be wrong). :)

7. a_ht

a_ht Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Thanks. Your reply was very fast.

I know that most camera have IEEE 1394 these days, but on the sony's website, they talked about a i.LINK. I still don't know what it is but I assumed it was somekind of proprietary FireWire since they say it does practicly the same things.

You know, those proprietary systems that forces you to buy stuff from the company itself because nothing else is compatible with it. Obviously, you don't want that in your camera.

But, hey it's sony, and I guess they can hold themselves pretty well whitout having to backstab us. Thanks for addressing my concerns. ;)

8. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Good news: i.Link is just Sony's name for the IEEE 1394 standard, i.e. it works with ANY Firewire/i.Link/IEEE 1394 part.

9. Starbux

Starbux Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    Does the Vx2000 have USB? I'm probably getting this one, don't want to buy firewire.

10. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    it probably does support USB, but firewire is much, much better. why don't you just get firewire? it delivers much better quality than USB does.

11. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    only some of new consumer grade camera's have usb, i do not belive the vx-2000 does. and if you're going to spend several thousand on a vx-2000, why not spend 20-100 on a firewire card?

12. Axien

Axien Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    How much is the XL1 or Vx-2000?
    I'm guessing arround $21,000?

13. t-toe

t-toe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    No, the VX2000 is about $2,000, or at least that's what I found in a quick search on google. The XL1 is MUCH more expensive. (Last time I checked, around $6,000.)

--t.toe

14. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001

A good legitimate low price for the VX-2000 is $2400. The XL1s is $3600. (prices from B&H)

15. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I think there are a couple more reasons...

1) The Canon XL1 range is much sexier, and a whole lot more fashionable. How many Mac adverts show a Sony camera?

2) The removeable lens. Sure, it is a benefit, but how many people can afford to spend another $1000 just on a lens! Thats a copy of After Effects right there!

3) Progressive Scan/Frame/Movie mode. This might not be the same in the USA, but in the UK the Sony cameras can only do about 12 fps in frame mode. This is one of the biggest reasons I went Canon.

That, and the special offer ;)

Pete

16. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    I asked about this camera too and I heard there were a lot of Audio problems. I know Casey you said you'd try to get me an audio files to show me, but you got busy. Any chance of doing that now anyone?

17. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001

The audio for the short film in my sig was recorded onto my VX-2000. Not the best example but its the only one I have up. I haven't had a single audio problem with the camera. I had heard the rumors of an audio problem with the cameras first release but I've been told they were immediately corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.