Sony: What the hell is going on over there?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itlnstlon77 Jedi Knight

star 1
    That is a very good point because they're essentially equal (I've heard that HD may actually look better, not sure since I don't care for either). I personally feel that a part of this is simply the "Sony Effet" where they charge more than reasonable for a run of the mill or P.O.S. electronic item.

Still, with that in mind I wonder exactly why so many studios jumped onto the Sony bandwagon for something with at least a 50/50 possibility for either side. It's not like Blu-ray offers anything particularily noteworthy compared to they HD-DVD.

In any case though, just look at the movies for Blu-Ray. Naturally they're getting crap thrown their way with tons of bombs with the occasional okay to good movies.
  2. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Odd then in Aust, that it's claimed that although the Wii has sold 100 000 units and that the PS3 has just hit 50 000, the PS3 is outselling it 2-1.
  3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn The Other Saga Moderator

Manager
    star 6
    I think he was saying that 6-1 in North America would indicate that there were more Wiis available then there really are, so it can't be that high or else he would have one.

Well I didn't mean to imply anything quite so meaningful; I was mainly just complaining.

It doesn't really surprise me that there aren't any here, because despite my area's (seasonal) moderate population density, lots of toys and gaming stuff ends up in short supply. I remember when I was really into action figs, we rarely got restocks, which made it pretty frustrating. It's the same with those still, and apparently with video games as well.

To my knowledge, PS3's are still sold out here as well.
  4. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    GfK Australia, which provided the stats, also said that Wii sold ~33,000 Units in four days after launch When total sales of the PS3 is only 66% more than Nintendo's sales the first week, it says something.

I don't know which is right because the website I showed before puts PS3 at #2 in terms of weekly sales with Wii at #1. However, when GfK announces each console to have the best sales ever (they did it when 360 came out too), it gets a little rediculous.
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I'm actually shocked at how easily the 360 destroyed both the Wii and PS3 in Christmas sales.
  6. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Something to do with Gears of War perhaps?
  7. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Plus it's availability.
  8. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    Plus, it's got quite a few great games (besides GoW).
  9. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Who do we trust for comparison charts? Is one better than the others?
  10. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    So, Sony has decided to mark down the 60GB PS3 down to $499!!!

Oh wait...

It's because they are phasing out that model out to make room for the new $599 80GB model. Smooth.
  11. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I heard about the price cut a few days ago. But the fact that they're phasing out that model is news to me. It may seem like smart business to attempt to create increased demand but it also seems VERY underhanded.
  12. Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Regardless of a price cut, the demand is still the same because of the price. I'm sure MS will do the same for Xbox come Christmas to get into Nintendo's demand crowd.
  13. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I posted my disgust at this in the PS3 thread. Apparently they expect the 60GB to sell out within the month, and with it, the hardware dedicated backwards compatibility. The 80GB will rely on software emulation.
  14. DarkPrince Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure many of you have already heard or read about the fact that Sony wants to only keep the 60GB PS3 around for the rest of the month and only sell the 80GB bundle. This drew a WTH moment from me.

If they were planning on doing this for a while; what the hell was the point of the price cut in the first place?

I was jumping for joy at the price cut and rumours circulating of another one for the holidays; but now I'm swaying further away from getting a PS3 now. There's no way I can have 500 to spend within the next 4 weeks.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, it would have been wiser to hold off on the 80 gig for a couple months, and continue the 60 gig production w/ the price cut to the end of the year, or at least a couple months also, to let them get a larger user base installed. THEN kill off the 60- make it seem like "you have this time period to get a PS3 at a more reasonable price" while also giving people enough time and notice to plan and save to actually buy one.
  16. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
  17. zacparis VIP

star 7
    10 year product life cycle? Can you imagine how advanced PC games will be in 5-10 years compared to the PS3?

I'm sure in 10 years I won't want to be playing a PS3 or 360.
  18. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    Is that the same guy who got quoted as saying that 360s suck since they don't all have a hard drive, don't have Bluray, and my personal favorite - they don't even work? I guess Sony believes all they have to do is keep telling everyone that the PS3 is better and eventually it will be so.

You're right about the 10 year life span, and if that is Sony's strategy then they will most certainly lose the war when Microsoft puts out an Xbox 720 or whatever it's called in 5 years leaving Sony without the ability to even claim graphical superiority anymore.
  19. Sn4tcH Force Ghost

star 4
    I believe it will be called the Xbox: Vengeance. But that's completely off topic.
  20. itlnstlon77 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think those things are what (in a way) makes the 360 better. You can at least choose whether or not you care about HD movies and base things off of your needs. Cores don't make a great long-term console on their own, but they provide the benefit of a cheaper option if you have problems with a 360. Better than re-buying a PS3, that's for sure.

I honestly want to think some things (games, that's it really) are looking nicely for the PS3, but damn they make it too hard with their attitude that makes them dig themselves deeper and deeper.
  21. jedimasterkipdurron Force Ghost

star 4
  22. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
  23. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Microsoft is off to a fast start, launching the Xbox 360 nearly 12 months before the PlayStation 3. However, by the time third-generation consoles reach market maturity in 2011, the PlayStation 3 will once again be the market leader".

He still has till 2011 before you get to LOL. :p
  24. zacparis VIP

star 7
    It makes me laugh how people constantly refer to Xbox's head start in the market. They seem to ignore the fact that the Xbox is outselling the PS3 on a monthly basis.

By 2011 both consoles' technology will be so outdated I don't think anyone will care who's in the lead.
  25. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.