Sony: What the hell is going on over there?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, looks like Sony gave up try to convince people rumble was an outdated feature or that it interfered with motion control (likely it just means Sony found a way to make a rumble motor they couldn't get sued over).

PS3 Braces for Third DualShock Controller
    Sony's turning back the clock for some "last generation" technology.

Despite earlier comments this year by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison, which included the PS3 executive referring to force feedback as "the last generation feature," PlayStation 3 will soon include rumble technology with the announcement of DualShock 3, Sony's latest wireless controller for its current generation console.

Sold as a separate accessory, the rumbling DualShock 3 will debut in Japan this November, and in the spring of 2008 for North American and European players. The wireless controller will still include the motion sensitivity found in PlayStation 3's other official controller, Sixaxis.
  2. Vengance1003 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I heard from someone that they are going to upgrade the PS3. Is that true?
  3. Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Master

star 2
    I have not heard about that.
  4. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    They settled the lawsuit with Immersion.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Outside of vague suggestions that they might release PS3 revisions in the future to keep the system current ala PCs, there's been word of some chnages to the existing PS3 model by ransitioning to a more softwar-based backwards compatibility solution ala the 360 instead of the current hardware approach.
  6. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    That's already happened. The 80GB and the PAL versions don't have hardware backwards compatibility.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  8. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
  9. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    And less USB ports, among other things. I can't wait to see how the world reacts to that. And I'll be at the frontline, selling the thing from my store, and having it brought back to me with furious faces shouting spittle at me.

[face_plain]

I simply watch the Sony Empire collapse in the face of the Xbox 360. That'll teach Sony to kill my Sega Mega Drive off!

*waves fist at Sony*
  10. barabel_humour Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not anti-Sony but I'm really unhappy about this decision. I've already built up a sizeable collection of PSX/PS2 games and dropping BC means that either I have to hold on to my PS2 indefinitely or rush to the shop and grab one of the 60GBs "while stocks last", and I really don't like feeling as if I'm being coerced into making a decision now when the price is still as high as it is and so few PS3 games interest me at the moment because they decided that BC wasn't important after all.

[:D] I'm sure no one will bring their 40GB Backwards Incompatible PS3s back after Xmas because they can't play all their favourite PS2 games on it and take their frustration with Sony out on you. [:D]
  11. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    How many people do you think even use it? I have never, ever, played a PS1 game in my PS2. It's only being released in PAL territories, which never even had proper backwards compatibility, only the software one. I think a $300 price drop will push more consoles despite the lack of backwards compatibility. You'll still get it in the 80GB model, just 360 style instead of hardware. You want BC, buy the more expensive one...that's exactly how the 360 operates, albeit at a lower price point.

And really, how many USB ports do you need? Charge 4 controllers at once? When is that ever going to be necessary? I've only ever used one at a time on my PS2.
  12. barabel_humour Jedi Master

star 4
    I just recently replayed FFVII and IX, and if I'm still replaying them so many years after their original release then why shouldn't I want to continue replaying my PS2 games too? I'm not trying to be antagonistic but a good game is a good game regardless of which gen it belongs to IMO, so a system that offers BC is very attractive to me.

I agree, the price drop will definitely increase sales and that's a good thing, but the 80GB was never released in the PAL territories and the most recent statement has indicated that Sony no longer consider BC an important feature. Because of FF13 (and various other exclusives) Sony are pretty much guaranteed me investing in a PS3 sooner or later, but as I said I don't appreciate feeling like my hand is being forced if I want BC because it might not be available later.
  13. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I would have bought the $400 model if it had PS2 BC. Now I won't.
  14. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I've played my PS1 games since I bought my PS2, just not on my PS2. Since this seems to be coming along nicely, and for the moment I've still got a working PS2 (like many millions of others) I care not about BC. Once Sony gets some good games out, BC will be forgotten. When's the last time you heard someone complaining about the 360 BC, which operates exactly the same way as the 80GB?

Edit: Anyway knowing Sony we'll probably see a PR release in a few weeks announcing it's back in, Rumble style. :p
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    "Players do not want their consoles to be backwards compatible. So, instead, we've succeeded in making your existing PSX and PS2 games forward compatible so they can be played on the PS3. Yes, we're just that damn good."

;)
  16. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Sony isn't even trying anymore, are they?
  17. Richard-Drahcir Force Ghost

star 3
    :oops: [/quote]
    How many people do you think even use it? I have never, ever, played a PS1 game in my PS2.[/quote]

You're in the minority then. Games like Crash Bandicoot, Worms Armaggedon, Jedi Power Battles, FF7, Tekken 3 and many more have been played on my PS2. BC was one of the reasons I bought it over the Gamecube in 2002.

It's this sort of thing that stops me having any faith in Sony and wanting to see them crumble.
  18. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    http://videogames.yahoo.com/news-533569

So the 60GB model is being dicontinued and replaced with the 40GB.

Ooookay.

Someone please explain the following quote for me, I'm having trouble with this:

WTH?
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    He's just trying to sound cool. Replace nucelar bombs with oranges.

Other than the the interview makes sense. People want a PS3 to play HD games and movies in their big TVs, according to the research Sony have done. So the BC isn't a crippling issue. And like he said, you want a bigger hard drive, put one in. Want more USB ports? A hub is like $15. Same with the card reader.

For $300 you're losing 20GB of HD space a fairly useless cardreader + 2 USB ports, which you can easily replace. And BC. The only thing that really matters is the BC.
  20. zacparis VIP

star 7
    So Sony finally realise people want a games console, not some bloated media hub.

Well I guess they better start putting out some good games. I've tried the demos of Heavenly Sword & Folklore, both made me yawn in the first 10 seconds. And the Jericho demo was good, but looks worse on the PS3 than the 360. WTH is going on Sony? I thought your PS3 was supposed to make all computers redundant. It doesn't even stand up to other consoles, let alone computers.
  21. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah but BC nowadays is huge. (Edit: my apologies. The Atari 7800 was the first console to give backwards compatiability with the 2600 games. However, it was pre-Crash and so usually isn't considered with talking modern gaming. Sony made console BC popular with the PS2) Nintendo did it first in the Game Boy Line, making sure each rendition of the gameboy could handle playing all other GB games made prior. Sony was the first with console BC with PS2 being able to play PSX discs. XBox 360 tried to be 100% backwards compatiable but by emulation and patches. Nintendo Wii is backwards compatiable with 7 other consoles (GC discs and NES/SNES/N64/NeoGeo/TGfx-16/Gen by VC emulation). The PS3 was made BC compatiable both by emulation and direct disc playing for PSX and PS2 respectively, though now they pulled it out, which is funny because they made BC important in the first place!

BC is important because it reduces the need for keeping your older consoles maintained. There are collectors out there who pride themselves on owning all the hardware, but for many of us the convenience of one machine that can play everything is a huge draw. Now Sony fans will have to keep their PS2s if they want to continue playing the classic games.

I envision a lot of misinformed consumers trading in ther PS2 boxes for credit to a PS3 just to go home and find their old PS2 games don't play anymore. That will piss a lot of consumers off royally.
  22. Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Master

star 2
    One of the main reasons I bought the 60 GB PS3 is because it has the best BC. I don't think stores have them anymore but I got mine just in time. Sony should put BC in to every syestem. If they do, I think they would sell a lot more PS3's.
  23. jedimasterkipdurron Force Ghost

star 4
    Monster Hunter 3 has also gone from being a PS3 exclusive to a Wii exclusive. While most of us probably haven't heard of it here it's really popular in Japan so there's another nail in PS3's coffin.
  24. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    BC would have been one of the biggest reasons to get a PS3, I have a load of PSX games I love and there are PS2 games that i would love to get (like the Final Fantasy games), now that I won't be able to play any of those games I'm thinking there's not much point in buying the PS3 and that I'd be better off with a PS2 and a 360 if I want next gen gaming. I don't get what the hard drive is for, other than game saves, and how much space do game saves take? But if you do need a bigger one, what do you do? There is the option of putting a bigger one in, but how many people actually know how to do that in a PC let alone a console?
  25. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.