main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sony: What the hell is going on over there?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    If 40% are not blowing up, I'd be sad to have one of other 60%.

;)

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I don't know; I think I'd kind of like to see a "blowing up competition."

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    This thread is HILARIOUS!

I don't claim to be a fan of any "brand" in the industry...I usually cheer against the big dog.

In the early 90s I preferred Genesis to SNES...and while everyone was drinking the Yoshi koolaid, I was playing better games. Mid 90s brought Playstation...which anyone with eyes could see was better then N64. And the doom was wrought for Nintendo dominance.

Now we come to history repeating itself...the top dog, so confident that by name alone they could carry the industry into it's monopolized universe of media...

back to life...back to reality...

When you can buy a new laptop for less then a gaming console, the world has gone wrong...gaming machines were suppose to be the inexpensive means to computerized gaming...they forgot that...they forgot that their industry's bread and butter is selling systems and games to people who will never play them (parents, grandparents, etc), and that for them...the dollar amount means quite a lot...and when the kids can't fully articulate why one system is the one they MUST have over another (certain games, generally) then cost is the ultimate and final equalizer.

Sony will never recover from their over ambitious "company saver"...I honestly wonder if this will push them out of hardware by the next generation...I truly think it may. I know of one person...ONE...who currently owns a PS3...and he bought it purely for the blueray player (he's a film snob who has to own every player in history...he has beta...plugged in...no joke)

5. EK-1225

EK-1225 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    okay, I seriously need an explanation on this one. The PS3 is NOT backwards compatible but can play PS1 games via the PSP? WTH?

http://videogames.yahoo.com/printview_article?eid=1176992

PS One on the PSP
    Dec 18, 2007

Although the folks over on the PlayStation Blog have been happy to tell everyone all about the PS3's firmware 2.10 and its Blu-ray enhancements as well as firmware 3.80 on the PSP and its Internet radio functionality, they appear to have glossed over the biggest news of all.

If you have a PS One disc in your PS3, you can now play it on your PSP.
    Once you get your systems hooked up and your PS3 desktop on your PSP via Remote Play, scroll to the game section of the cross media bar, select the PS One disc and jump into some classic gaming. The game session is good for as long as you're in a WiFi hotspot.

So far we've taken out a few cops in Grand Theft Auto, buried the Undertaker in SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role and wiped out a handful of guards in Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions. The verdict? Well, there's definitely a fair amount of lag, but the games aren't unplayable. Getting our GTA guy pointing in the right direction was tough, but it was a bit easier to get into a groove in SmackDown as the Rock pelted the Undertaker with punches. Still, the slowdown made sneaking in Metal Gear more challenging than ever.

How will your favorite game do? There's only one way to find out -- get playing.

©2007-12-18, IGN Entertainment, Inc. All Rights Reserved

6. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Nothing like using the latest-gen machine as a slave drive to a portable device so you can play the first-gen game (which can't be played on the latest-gen machine) on a small screen with lag.

Just what I look for in convenience. :p

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sony is the master of features you thought you never wanted...for a reason.

8. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Yay!

A slightly better feature (but ultimately useless) version of the GCN-GBA hookup!

Dude, I must have been crazy to not chuck my PS2 and not upgrade to the lacking-BC PS3

[/sarcasm]

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Plus now they can't make any money from PS1 ports to the PSP on games that can be played through the PS3. 8-}

10. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Genius!!!

11. EK-1225

EK-1225 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    Sony execs hard at work:
    [image=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/b/b5/L_c295eaa31c251b9c3e10f11068d2eccf.jpg]

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Breaking News from a Sony Exec: "I don't think we (Sony) are arrogant anymore"

Well, glad to have that cleared up by a reliable source ;)

(Granted, they HAVE improved since we last used this thread- but that wouldn't be very hard)

13. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    A huge slice of humble pie will do that to ya.

14. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Someone said earlier that peoples 40GB ps3s were blowing up....
    Well the disc drive on my friends went out and mine went out not too long ago.
    Also im on a nonofficial sony "fansite" thats lost 121 members due to cussing over their broken PS3's....
    I think Sony is trying to make a couple more bucks off of this deal.

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I gave up on Sony entirely back in the PS2 days when two PS2 I had died within one year of each other. Granted, I've lost more Xbox 360's than that to RROD malady in the last 4 years but I have a bit more disdain for Sony than for MS.

16. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Microsoft is easier to fix, nuff said....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.