main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Soooo........What did ya think?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Thumpernicus, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thumpernicus

Thumpernicus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I just wanted to start the thread that asked the latest big question, "What did you think of Ep.III?"

I, personally, enjoyed it for what it was worth. George Lucas is not a competant writer, which is common knowledge, but despite cramming a WHOLE LOT o' PLOT in one movie, it was entertaining without being too contrived or cutesy.

A TON of action. I will have to see this film 3+ times just to catch all of the "stuff" that is going on in each scene, especially the opening space battle.

I liked how they made Vader EXTREMELY unlikeable when he goes to the jedi temple to assassinate the jedi. He has always been the villian you love to hate, but murdering the kids made him, at least in my eyes, an absolute monster. Kudos to Lucas for that powerfully disturbing part of the story.

My favorite part? When Anakin and Obi-wan step into the elevator full of battle droids.

Pet peeve: Lucas has a bad habit of making cool characters (i.e. Boba Fett) die like chumps... Mace windu went down screaming like a little girl and all the other Jedi died WAY too easily. Just my personal view, of course.

I look forward to hear what everyone else thought.

-Thumpernicus Maximus

2. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    too much romance, not enough human killing...

oh, wait, that's Futurama... [face_plain]

It was good, better than 1 & 2 combined at any rate. I think the gratuitous violence that was so clearly abundant in this film, and the almost complete absence of Jar Jar has for the most part redeemed Uncle George's soul... for the time being, he's still got a chance to mess up with a live action TV show... we'll see how it goes. I have to say my favorite moment was the end when we see Uncle Owen looking out on the Dune sea and the binary sunset after Obi-Wan drops off Luke. Did that scene give anyone else goosebumps?

3. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Well, I have to say that I didn't like it.
    Once you all recover from the initial shock there's more...
    First point that I have to make is that I didn't think the story was bad. The tradegy of the fall of the Republic was so well done that when Padme' says, "This is how liberty dies? With the sound of applause" (I'm probably misquoting but I think the idea is conveyed) I got chills.
    I was glad to see Yoda and Mace show that the Emperor could be beaten by the Jedi. That was a part I hoped would happen, showing that Light is stronger than Dark.
    I think the thing that I, personally, struggled with the most was the lack of a Star Wars feel. I felt like I was watching a Greek tragedy.
    I was amazed at the CGI in the film, especially the opening space battle, a part I was really looking forward to. However, there was so much CGI that it seemed to take away from the film.
    I agree with Thumpernicus that the Jedi died way to easily. I mean, Obi-Wan and Yoda mananged to take down a whole gang of troops; some of the Jedi could at least have put up a semblance of a fight. Of course, that added to the overall tragedy of the film so I can understand why it was done that way.
    Overall, I left with a feeling of having not watched a Star Wars movie, similar to the feeling I got after watching Episode 1.
    That's my two cents.
    Oh, and yes, the ending was superbly done. It gave that feeling of hope, with is why #4 is aptly named "A New Hope"

4. CoolHanLuke

CoolHanLuke Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I'm still trying to take it all in. After the midnight showing, I saw it again at 3:00 at the Post Falls theater. Just a side note, it was way cooler seeing it with SW fans (you know who you are) and in costume---it rocked!! :cool:

I liked what you pointed out (John) about the Tatooine sunset---I caught that, too. I thought is was a nice transition into ANH.

After the second showing, the betrayal and tragedy really hit me. Anakin's turn was tragic. I mean, Palpatine played him like a fiddle, and Anakin didn't listen to good advice (like when Mace was going to arrest Palpatine and he told Anakin to stay put because he sensed a lot of confusion going on inside of him).

The part that crushes me is while Anakin is being burned and he screams at Obi-wan, "I HATE YOU!" Then, with tearful words, Obi-wan says, "YOU WERE MY BROTHER...I LOVED YOU." The water works start up again --- :_|:_|:_|

I believe Lucas now when he said, that although Episode III will have some bright moments, it won't end on a happy note. I just want to fast forward to ROTJ and "redeem" Anakin from Sidious' clutches. :)

5. Jordi-WanKenobi20

Jordi-WanKenobi20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    I would have too say for me, even though I know Anakin goes bad n' all, I was still like "NO!! Don't do it Anakin!!!" and "Palpatine, you snake!" I thought it was done well.
    Definately better than I and II, the lightsaber fight totally redeems Episode II for like having none, except for Yoda fighting for the first time.

6. Oo_la_la

Oo_la_la Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2004
    I didn't like it. I will say that it was the best of the three prequels. Anakin's turn to the dark side was not convincing to me. he goes from a "what have i done?" to "yeah, sure, i'll swear allegiance to you!" what?!?! and we never really ever know what the separatists are fighting for. it's like they existed only to have a clone war so that it fit with one line in Ep. IV "years ago you served my father in the clone wars." and when did obi-wan ever "serve" bail organa? and nothing was ever explained about general grievous. what is he? where did he come from? why did he cough all the time? and i agree with daramin on the cgi. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ANIMATING C3PO?!?!?!? everytime he or the clone troopers (every single one of them was animated except for the occasional jango fett face being real! argh!) was on screen it threw me out of the movie with its fakeness. the fight between yoda and the emperor was overdone and ridiculous. i never thought that i would find yoda annoying but everytime he fought it was obnoxious to me (with the exception of when he took out the royal guards, my favorite part of the movie). and all the droids talking and being emotional came out of nowhere. i have lots more to say (like bad writing and acting) but i have to go to class. feel free to disagree with me all you want.

7. Jordi-WanKenobi20

Nov 11, 2004
    When was C-3PO animated, it was Anthony Daniels in costume the whole time right? Also General Grievous coughs because in Clone Wars episode 25, he has a very brief encounter with Mace Windu, Mace uses the force and crushes his chest, causing breathing restriction or something, I don't know? When Anakin swears allegiance you can tell by his face that Palps was manipulating him somehow, feel free to disagree that is my opinion though.

8. Oo_la_la

Oo_la_la Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2004
    i should clarify that C-3PO was not animated the whole time. but in many scenes he was. obvious example: at the end when he is going up the plank of padme's ship.

on a slightly more positive note: i thought that ewan mcgregor and ian mcdiarmid (as chancellor not as emperor) gave great performances given what they had to work with.

basically for me all the prequels lack the 'watchablility' of the originals. i don't care if i ever see one of the prequels again. but try taking away my original trilogy and i'll cut your fingers off.

9. TK-3374

TK-3374 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    I for one thought that it was great. I felt sorry for Anakin when Obi-Wan cut him to pieces then started to burn. it was gruesome. yet i couldnt look away. The part with the 2 suns at the end was very cool too. its too bad that Uncle Ben turns into such a pain-in-the-butt by episode 4. Obi-Wan did kill Grevous way too fast. Did any body else think that?

I dont know if anyone else caught this part of the movie but for most of it Anakin is looking for some way to save Padme (as everyone noticed)... but right at the end Yoda said that an old friend has achieved imortality (Qui-Gon). If Anakin had been forward and told what was going on then he could have saved Padme, to an extent. I will definatly be looking at the old trilogy in a new way now that i know the backstory.

One thing that i didnt understand is why didnt they wipe R2's memory too? It would seen to be more sensible if they wiped both droids memories.

10. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I think C3PO was animated when he walked up the stairs and the apartment.
    I also was wondering why R2's memory wasn't wiped. Maybe because he only whistles and beeps.

11. Mase_Wahoo

Mase_Wahoo Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I felt that it was a good story; however I felt that the "Order 66" scenes should have been more tragic and it seemed to be rushed.
    Also when Vader got off the table I got this Frankenstein?s monster vibe and the "NNNOOOOOO" was kind of lame.
    The closing scene did get me a little misty. In all I really enjoyed the film, it was better then EP: I, II & VI.

12. Jordi-WanKenobi20

Nov 11, 2004
    Better than VI, maybe, me personally no, it tied with it? They didn't wipe R2's memory because they figured he could keep a secret.

13. Thumpernicus

Thumpernicus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    R2 was not memory wiped because he is the "link" between the Organa's and the Lars' families. In Ep4, R2 "says" that he is the property of one Obi-wan Kenobi... to which Ben replies..."I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid."

R2 had to know who Obi-wan was and where to find him on Tatooine etc.

Obi-wan "...served my father (Bail Organa) in the Clone Wars..." because he was a General of the Army of the Republic and Bail was a Senate leader of the Republic.

Kinda like I "served" the U.S. Congress and the Senate while I was in the Army, though not directly.
    How's that?

I agree that Ep3 is no Academy award winner, but I did enjoy it for what it was worth : A somewhat campy Saturday Serial Adventure. I mean really, the saber fight b/w Obi-wan and Anakin was a total swashbuckler/pirate fight along the "rigging" of a sailing ship (balancing on the pipes) and climbing/fighting up the "mast" of a sinking ship (the structure that sank into the lava) and the lava represented the dangerous 7 seas. The only thing that was missed was replacing Anakin's hand with a hook and pegs for his legs.

I'll say this again because I was genuinely disappointed by it, but Mace Windu is too much of a bad ass to have gone down so weakly. That is my biggest gripe. I'll leave it be for now.

14. -JediClone-

-JediClone- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2005
    I liked it.

But I agree with Oo_la_la about Ankain's sudden turn after killing Mace.

What REALLY bugged me was Padme suddenly loosing all will or reason to live after giving birth to her twins. That's two pretty good reasons to go on right there, and a person as strong as Padme should have found the will for their sake.

I really liked the last bit with Vader. The way he became "trapped" inside the mask... That first breath.... Then the dark, deadly, voice of Darth Vader sincerely asking "is my pwecious snookie-wookums OK?". :) Wonderfully (sym)pathetic. His akward rage and screaming "NOOOOOO" after destroying everything he ever cared about with the Emperor gloating in the background was perfect IMO. It was the true "death" of Anakin Skywalker. On second viewing, it's my favorite scene.

15. jedilos

jedilos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2000
    Hi again. I dont know what i was expecting when I went to see the movie. I had already read the comic and the book so i knew more or less what was going to happen, but as I entered the theater and all the seats where full, i had to sit on the 2 cond row in the fron. Not a good experience. I'm sure i missed alot. it honestly made me dizzy seeing all the action so close. Anyone that knows me well im a big star wars fan have been for so many years, Ive see all the SW movies at a theater, but i didnt leave there with that feeling of WOW. Won't knock it to bad yet until I see it again. the graphics and costumes rocked. cant wait to get my clone trooper armor for halloween. overal knowing myself i will see it again and when its on dvd i will definatelly watch it alot more. thats my 2 cents

16. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    JarusSarn: "I have to say my favorite moment was the end when we see Uncle Owen looking out on the Dune sea and the binary sunset after Obi-Wan drops off Luke. Did that scene give anyone else goosebumps?"

I have goosebumps just reading that.

17. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Ok, here's what I think:

So stinking awesome. Action from the start. Anakin's demise to the dark side also from the start. All questions answered and loose ends to the saga tied up. Everything I expected and so much more.

Thumpernicus: IMO Mace's death wasn't weak, but without satisfaction. There wasn't a long battle that ended with a triumphant Palpatine looking over the dead Jedi, but what I expected. Betrayal. Betrayal is always unexpected, he was not thinking that Anakin would ever be the start of his death out the window. He is a bad ass, and would have chopped up Palpy like his BM* self, if Anakin hadn't taken the hand off of him. The same goes for all the other Jedi. Clones are humble, passionless troops. I first wondered why the Jedi did not "feel" the troops turn on them in time, but to the troops, they were feeling nothing different than what they usually do when taking orders from the Jedi. So, like Mace, they were off guard. Which I see as Palpatine's greatest achivement in conquering the galaxy. A huge elaborate setup, that I think Lucas did a decent job selling. I buy it anyway.

Amy: " we never really ever know what the separatists are fighting for. it's like they existed only to have a clone war so that it fit with one line in Ep. IV "years ago you served my father in the clone wars.""

They are manipulated to start a civil war so they can have free, untaxed, trade. The republic senate has taxed everything. Dooku fooled them into thinking that they could separate, show they had power to protected their new government with the droid army Dooku:"the Jedi will be overwhelmed." And they were in the arena on Geonosis. The trap for the separtist council was the unknown clone army. But by then, the separtist council was past the point of no return. The separatists existed only so that the secret clone army could be justified, and placed into the control of Palpatine, for his greatest achivement, the Revenge of the Sith. All Jedi murdered. As far as he knows anyway.

Casey: "Obi-Wan did kill Grevous way too fast."

In the movie, I agree. Greivous's character was mostly EU in books, comics, and the Clone Wars Animated series by cartoon network. So what we see in the movie is really just the end of a long fight, which, without the stuff inbetween II and III, is short and lacking.

"Yoda said that an old friend has achieved imortality (Qui-Gon)... he could have saved Padme, to an extent."

I disagree. Qui-Gon's connection to the living was because of his transcendant hold in the Force. This is how Obi-Wan learns that he can disapear into death and come back through voice and ghost, by learning to commune with Qui-gon, and gain the secrets of force immortality. This goes for Yoda as well. And I think Anakin returns as a ghost in VI because he was the strongest in the force, he didn't need to learn.

Images burned in my head:
    Jedi murders and Anakin slaying the younglings (I cried, seriously), Mace in his about-to-execute-Palpatine pose, Obi-wan's face "I loved you! You were my brother!" and the burning of Anakin.

All in all, I was very pleased.

edited by Brotherhalo - removed banned initial

18. Oo_la_la

Oo_la_la Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2004
    when did they ever talk about taxation? for those of us who didn't read the 5 miles of backstory there were huge gaps. personally, i'm just ticked at lucas and for me that colors everything that he does.

19. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    I think they mentioned it in Ep 1...

20. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Yes, the taxation of trade routes is in the episode i crawl, and Senator Palpy mentions it in his senate address, just before introducing Queen Amidala.

21. CoolHanLuke

Oct 19, 2004
    The only thing that was missed was replacing Anakin's hand with a hook and pegs for his legs. [face_laugh]

I really enjoyed Ewan McGregor's performance in this one. =D=
    My favorite scene was when he dropped in on Grievous at Utapau and, to everyone's surprise, said, "Hello there!" [face_laugh]

When Anakin pledged his allegiance to Palpatine after Mace's death, I saw that is was no hard thing for Anakin to turn. We see him become more disgruntled with the Jedi (with the help of a fantastic performance by Ian McDiarmid), and with Obi-wan, who is the epitome of all that the Jedi stand for. Remember when Anakin said in Episode II, "...it's all Obi-wan's fault...he's holding me back!" Anakin began placing his frustrations on Obi-wan, as well as the Jedi, imo, at that point. If the Jedi hadn't held him back, he might have been able to save his mother. I think this ties in with Anakin's statement to Palpatine, "I know there are things about the Force that they're (the Jedi) not telling me."

On a side note, does anyone think that Anakin's confession to Obi-wan (about not being appreciative for his training) was sincere? It sounded like it, but, there is conflict in his face after they say goodbye to each other.

Also, imo, Anakin taking out the Separatist leaders on Mustafar didn't seem dark enough (for Anakin). For the most part, that group didn't stand ANY chance of going up against Vader. Remember how Nute Gunray and his sidekick "ran away" from Qui-gon and Obi-wan by sealing the blast doors in Episode I? I just didn't think it was much of a battle for Anakin to take them out. Most of them appeared to be unarmed, except for a few of the Neimodian guards.

Whaddya' think? [face_thinking]

22. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    "that group didn't stand ANY chance of going up against Vader."

I agree. I see his attach on Mustafar as his second assignment from Sidious, the first being the temple purge, and another move in his turning towards monsterness. They were weak, and he slaughtered them, as ordered by his new master.

23. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Now that I have seen "Sith", I accept Lucas's switch in ROTJ from Sebastian Shaw Ghost, to Hayden Christiansen Ghost and here's why.
    The spirituallity side of the Force is not extremely defined, and is also not well known by the characters even. Yoda retains a connection with Qui-Gon, and teaches Obi-Wan how to commune with him as well. Since little is known, I see it this way. Your "Spirit/Ghost" would reflect who you are in your soul. Yoda and Ben know what they look like to themselves in their old age. Anakin never sees himself age. Once the primary mask is attached while on the frankenstein table, it is not removed until ROTJ. So he doesn't even know what he looks like, and his image in his mind/soul would be what we know as Hayden's face. So, to me, the DVD switch is more fitting.

24. The_Cheeser

Feb 16, 2005
    Apparently my first post was edited by BrotherHalo. Sorry man, I didn't know one letter would get me in trouble. I will reread the TOS to stay out of trouble. So let me clarify:
    BMF = Bad Mother Force-user

25. CoolHanLuke

Oct 19, 2004
    Yoda and Ben know what they look like to themselves in their old age. Anakin never sees himself age. Once the primary mask is attached while on the frankenstein table, it is not removed until ROTJ. So he doesn't even know what he looks like, and his image in his mind/soul would be what we know as Hayden's face.

Very insightful angle. [face_thinking]
    It would explain why Lucas made the switch to Anakin appearing at the end of ROTJ.

Do you think Anakin saw himself when he went in for his periodic "treatments" (like what we see of him in TESB)? With his helmet off, I can imagine him looking in a mirror and mumbling something about making Obi-wan pay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.