soooooo-EEEE!!! [ Pearl Harbor ]

Discussion in 'Toronto, ON' started by BillDonnel, May 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillDonnel Jedi Padawan

mikewood again; not "Bill Donnel"
    (to paraphrase Wing Commander, "Bill Donnel doesn't exist!")

anyone interested in drinking and seeing Pearl Harbor this Friday night? VERY IMPORTANT: the drinking must come BEFORE seeing Pearl Harbor. BEFORE! (or, during.) Anyway, the bitchin' new LotR trailer is supposed to be attached, and I for one am foolhardy enough to at least be excited for *that* =)

~theatreMike~
  2. Cristalia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ack! Can't.... *sigh*. Friday is both the beginning of North, the Final Fantasy preview, and Nina's party. I really am sorry I can't make that...it's been one of my life's ambitions to get tipsy with a guy who looks like Han Solo... ;)

Cris~
  3. BillDonnel Jedi Padawan

whoa! what kinda FF preview? At 'North? details, details =)
  4. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be up for seeing Pearl Harbor on Saturday. I'll be working till around 5:30 that day, most likely but I'm sure something could be arranged for a 7pm or later showing.

I think most of us will be going to Nina's party on Friday.

What's this about a FF preview? Explain.

5. Darvin11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    You couldn't pay me to sit through a 3 hour Michael Bay movie. Take everything I said about the Mummy returns and multiply by one hundred.

For those who will shell out their hard earned cash and more than 180 minutes of their lives they will never get back, you have my sympathies.

Robin T.
  6. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    So, I take it you won't be joining us on whatever day we see it? ;)

7. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    >Have you tried to see if someone can figure out how to download it through

I just have to do my obligitory, "Bootlegs are wrong, mkay."

The theatre owners are going to have to be careful. With home theatre systems improving further and further, and digital distribution looming on the horizon, they're going to have to watch that they don't price themselves out of the market. People will eventually seek other sources, be they legal or not.

---

Toronto Star gave Pearl Harbour one star. With so many good movies playing, I can't see my $12+ heading towards a nationalistic propaganda flik. sorry.
  8. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    One, I would not go by what the Star says. Its a summer blockbuster and the Star is to respectable to like a supposedly huge hit. ;-) That, and I don't care what the Star says.

Two, its playing at Uptown, so it wouldn't be 12+, as far as I know.

Three, I'm not expecting a 5 star movie here. Perhaps it is crap, but count me into the crowd that doesn't mind big, dumb action flicks on occasion.

Haven't we all seen worse?

I'd like to do something this weekend, I'm not going to AnimeNorth and I don't plan on sitting at home making a huge tapestry out of my belly button lint.

Btw, I just woke up to the phone ringing, expecting it to be Joesph and it wasn't. After waking up every 10-15 minutes for the past few hours, then finally falling asleep again. I'm not a happy camper.

I'm going back to sleep.

Edits: I just like pressing the edit button
  9. BillDonnel Jedi Padawan

oh, i forgot about nina's thing

doesn't she live in Mississauga?

and is it B.Y.O.C.?
    [ bring your own chair ;D ]

~mike~
  10. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope - Nina's a Torontonian.
    Her thing is going to be a room party held tonight at Anime North. I guess she's decided to bite the bullet and wade into the crowds of chibi clad children shouting "Genki! Genki! Monkey! Monkey! Lucky! Lucky!" ;)

I believe David has further details - drop him a line.
  11. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry about the above post, I had just woken up and was a litte grumpy due to lack of sleep, caused in part by my dogs smell after he was sprayed by a shunk.

12. Cristalia Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nina's Party Post:

It is: 8 or 9pm tonight at the airport Marriott, where North is. Check the message board for room numbers. To get to the hotel, one can take the 58 Malton bus from Lawrence West station all the way to the front door...if you're not sure what to look for, the intersection is Carlingview. It runs homewards until about 2am.

As for the FF preview, it is playing at North, at 5pm. Worth the drive to Acton. :)

Now, I'm off to the con, so hopefully I'll see everyone there!

Cris~
  13. JediJeff13 Jedi Master

star 4
    I can see all your trepidation to see this flick, so let me throw in my Yank two cents.

I plan to see this film. Not just for the reason of it - I think it'll just be a fantastic film to see. But I plan to bring my 8 year old son to it (after I preview it first). To me, it's very important for him to start understanding why we have the freedom we do, and what men that I never knew did for me. Nobody asked them to be heroes. Hell, they didn't choose to be either. They just did what they felt was right. And on the Dec 7th, many of the men stopped fighting tyranny, giving the ultimate sacrifice.

So yes, many of you don't understand the real meaning of Pearl Harbor. I in return don't truly appreciate nor understand Victoria Day. It's not the fault of anyone, it's the life we grew up in.
  14. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://webhome.idirect.com/~shmi/trollsm.jpg]

I do understand the historic importance of pearl harbor. What I'm against is the tyranny of bad movie makers who change history to fit a story.

Don't get me started on Pocahontas.
  15. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an 18%. Shmi's right. From all appearances, it has about as much in common with actual history as any other Disney film.
  16. JediJeff13 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am not gonna doubt that. In fact, I EXPECT they will change a bit to fit their needs.

My point is that it may show my son a bit of what it was like being there 60 years ago. I'll straighten out the inaccuracies later.
  17. SLam Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm seeing it this weekend, in all places the US.

I'm sure I can handle it. I've sat through "Dancer in the Dark", I can handle anything.
  18. Darvin11 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Unfortunately Pearl Harbour has all the educational content about WWII as Armageddon had about NASA.

I agree whole-heartedly that WWII and the sacrifices made must be remembered and that we as a society are losing those memories which each generation. It deeply offends me when a talentless hack who sees the world as a big Coke comercial would take on this subject and then expound on the "emotions" of the story.

In fact, this film is an insult to all those who fought and died and I plead with all of you not to reward Disney for its efforts.

Do not see this film this weekend. Rent Tora Tora Tora is you must or, if you are old enough, Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List. All flawed films to be sure but made by people who's primary motivation was not to blow **** up cool, but to remember.

Do not be bought by the Disney marketing machine, I beg of you.

Robin T

19. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    This was just recently re-released on DVD was it not? From what I understand, a close to historical re-enactment of the events telling the tale from both sides and a pretty good film to boot. Time to head to Blockbusters.

btw, one reviewer has dubbed 'Pearl Harbour' as Bora! Bora! Bora! ;)
  20. JediJeff13 Jedi Master

star 4
    Saw Pearl on Sunday. Yeah, it was too long, overly dramatic and historically way off. It was a hell of a film to see, though. I will also say that if this movie instills others to NOT forget what was done for us by these men and women, it was worth it. WWII veterans die off a thousand a day right now, and they are barely remembered. If Pearl can teach the youth to just say "thanks" to one of them.......

And I will second (actually third) the comment on Tora, Tora, TORA - a fantastic war movie in line with Bridge on the River Kwai.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.