main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Huh, I hadn't thought of that. I could see it, especially if said masters primarily stayed inside of the tombs of the Dark Lords.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    ChildOfWinds:
    It was the OT that got me into SW.
    In some ways... I envy how you got into SW.

I thought Vader was a kriffin' man with asthma when I picked up 'Heirs to the Force'-I kid you not.

LOL!

I gotta use my webcam to record a 'dramatization' of that someday. :p

Maybe...and certainly the newest students might not have the control necessary to stay invisible in the Force.
    They'd be bouncing off the walls to use the Dark Side, methinks.

LOL! Very clever, Striker! I love your humor.
    Thanks, I try.

I'd assume he'd get some sort of bad feeling... although the good guys get a bad feeling if they burn dinner.

LOL!!!

"I;ve got a bad feeling..."

"Mom, I just lost at World of Warcraft!"

Hey! That's a very special and important service that you provide for us!!! Heaven knows we don't get much humor or light-hearted stuff in Del Rey's books!
    Aww, thanks. [face_blush] I'm glad I can bring some lightness into SW.

Yes, and Mara too.
    And the Myrkr Strike Team and those Jedi killed in Order 66-lite and...

Quicker and easier, yes, I don't know that I'd agree about the "More Seductive" part though.
    For the people who like that thing...

Star Wars, a New Hope was first for me, and it remains my favorite and the standard by which all others are judged. wink It's the pinnacle.
    If any other SW product would be that for me, it would be ANH. Otherwise... the YJK.

Master_Starwalker:
    So, do you just read my posts to see if I can make you laugh?

Yep. :p

Well, at least you admit it.

;)

So Vergere was just an attempt to make people react more kindly to Del Rey's planning style...
    How? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here. She royally pissed me off. I got a big carthertic release when I had G1 Megatron step on her in my TF/SW crossover.

I wonder some things like that too. I know I view it really differently from the people who were introduced to Star Wars by the Prequels for instance.
    How you got into SW can really shape how you view it, basically.

Jedi_Ben:
    * The Sith have decided, with great reluctance, that the Jedi were right on one point: Get 'em young. So they have a class of 5-year Sith students, Force Lightning and TK is forbidden on pain of limb amputation.

* The kids undergo a maths test, the teacher marks them. Those who got 10 out of 10 go to one side of the room, those who did less well to the other. Teacher ignites its lightsaber and executes all those who scored less than ten. Why? "Only a Sith believes in absolutes."

That was... perfect, Ben. Precisely how I'd see them do it, too.

J_K_Dart:
    Maybe we're missing something re: the Sith. Consider; in the NJO, the Masters remain on Yavin 4 to present an illusion against the Peace Brigade. Now what if something similar were the case...
    Aww, but where's the fun in that? ;)

First stage of being a Sith: you remain on Korriban. A handful of Masters are on Korriban, their efforts always focused towards shielding the planet in the Force so that the Sith students can develop. It's only when you've mastered the arts of hiding in the Force that you're allowed off-planet, away from the Masters' supervision. So we have, say, a handful of Sith Masters (wrong term I know, but, ah well!) who are responsible for keeping the Jedi 'in the dark' so to speak. This way not all of the Sith need to be masters at hiding.
    That's probably the only way I can think it'd happen, yeah. Good thinking, Dart.

I am... kinda considering writing a short series where each of the ST captains use their particular brand of problem-solving to deal with JINO...

Kirk talks him into suicide.

Picard appeals to his last shreds of humanity and decency.

Sisko punches him the hell out.

Janeway uses technology to deal with him.

Archer convinces the Jedi to band together and stop him.

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Master_Starwalker

I wonder some things like that too. I know I view it really differently from the people who were introduced to Star Wars by the Prequels for instance.

Oh, Yes! They have a totally different perspective, and I think it's darker and more cynical.

I think he should if they ever assembled en masse off of Korriban, but one or two flying under Luke's radar given that the Dark Side is hard to see I think it acceptable.

As I've said, one or two I can forgive. It's the 10,000 that I'm having a hard time with! ;)

Jedi Ben

* How? Luke was utterly unused to the notion of the Force, never mind that he could actually use it.

Well, Ben HAD stated to teach him, and one of the things Ben told him was that the Force controls your actions and obeys your commands. During this time of desperate need, when the Death Star is closing in on the Yavin moon and rebels are dying right and left, I would have thought it would have been the perfect time for LUke's newly-awakened Force ability would have controlled his actions and compelled him to use that Force to send his shot straight and true. I think that could have worked. BUT, the reason I think the voice of Ben was used was really to cue the audience in on the fact that it was through using the Force that Luke made the shot.

What Kenobi does is help Luke undergo a paradigm shift in seconds from one perception of the world to another, with a shifting of what's possible and what's not.

That's a nice way of looking at it though.

* He couldn't - ESB wasn't written!

Well, ESB COULD have taken place soon after ANH instead of three years later.

If you want a story reason though, you could blame it on Anakin - due to that experience Yoda and ObiWan are going to be a bit more choosy about who they teach power.

I'm sure that entered into it. BUT, they did seem to already make the decision that they WOULD train Luke and Leia when the time was right. (Though I'm sure if either one of them had truly been as arrogant and moody as Anakin Skywalker was, they WOULDN'T have beem taught about the Force at all.)

* Except I'd say ObiWan knew that Luke would be better without him to fall back on.

I'm not sure that I agree with that reason, JB. I really think that if Ben had survived ANH, he probably would have taken Luke AND Leia to Yoda right afterwards.

* There is that wonderful panel where Luke just looks at Cade and it says everything about Cade's act, victory isn't is.

I guess I'll have to look at it again some time.

* No, I dislike greatly the notion of a quota system, better by far the story is allowed to proceed at its own pace and kill characters off at the right time,

I'm not talking about a quota system though. I think that by now IS the right time, Ben! Any more dragging of feet about killing off some Sith is going to make the story unreal and unsatisfying with so many Sith Lords around that one can practically trip over them every other day. As I said, if Talon IS dead, then it works, because one important Sith has finally been defeated. The good side finally has a well-earned victory.

NJO tried to do that artificially with the 5 HBs and look what happened.

NJO was a train wreck. I still think they were making up a lot of the NJO as they went along.

As an aside here: I can't believe how many NJO books got into the top 20. Sheesh! How could such drivel be so popular????? While the novelization of RotS was done better than the film, I really don't like that it ended up being number ONE. In the first place, I don't consider it to be enough of an EU book. It certainly wasn't an original EU story. I think The Thrawn Trilogy deserved the Number ONE honor. Not only was it an excellent story, well told, but it also introduced many extremely memorable characters and I think it helped lead to a resurgence of popularity in SW.

* The Sith have decided, with great reluctance, that the Jedi were right on one poi

4. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    RK_Striker_JK_5

Well, at least you admit it.

:p

How? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here. She royally pissed me off. I got a big carthertic release when I had G1 Megatron step on her in my TF/SW crossover

It was a bad attempt to make a joke about Vergere's "There is no external Dark Side" view.

How you got into SW can really shape how you view it, basically.

Basically. My first Star Wars memory is Luke catching his saber over the Sarlaac in RotJ and so it's one of my favorite scenes.

ChildOfWinds

Oh, Yes! They have a totally different perspective, and I think it's darker and more cynical.

Mostly, but there's some who are coming around to a more clearly delineated view.

As I've said, one or two I can forgive. It's the 10,000 that I'm having a hard time with!

I doubt there's 10,000 roaming around the galaxy at one time. :p

5. Quivyr

Quivyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2007
    ChildofWinds:

By the way, what did you think of the quotes from that Lucas interview that was done during the filming of TESB about how many episodes of SW there were supposed to be?

I honestly don't know what to make of the quotes Windy. It's interesting to hear the evolution of Star Wars nonetheless. I do however get a sense that GL dislikes quibbling details. He seems to like to deal in the moment and do things on the fly somewhat. Others deal with continuity for him. I would also say he likes to paint in broad strokes and let others fill in the details.

I guess that's why I tend to take 'G-canon' with a grain of salt. (If I had a dollar for every time people debated G-canon on this board, I'd be Bill Gates, Jr.) I don't think he enjoys debates about the deepest details of the SW universe. I tend to think he makes broad sweeping statements of the first thing that comes to mind and leave it that. I'm not condemning the man by any means. Look at the legacy he left us. We all have flaws however, and that may be one of Mr. Lucas.

It's a flaw I tend to share, so I'm perfectly content to let it be.;) It also lets us have some fairly interesting discussions on a whole range of topics.

In a way, I don't blame him. If he actively engaged fans in discussion, he'd get bogged down and nothing would get done.

I'm getting a funny picture in my head here, Q.

Must not...must not...feed...analogy...

Jedi Ben:

Yes, but I was serious. I didn't think Obi-wan WAS more powerful after his death. He certainly couldn't affect the living world.

True, he could only truly effect the living world through others, but we don't know all the rules of Force Ghosting, nor what they truly do. In the netherworld, they could be expending most of their energies to stemming the growth of the dark side and keeping it in balance. A possible explanation for why they don't make many appearances. (Oh, no..plot bunny...) In that way, maybe every Force ghost is a 'Chosen One'. Just an idle thought not to be taken too seriously.:)

Come to think of it, maybe Qui-Gonn, Obi Wan, and Yoda had something to do with Darth Vader's redemption in that manner...heh. Going to shut up on that topic now:p

On another note, I just got 'Annhilation' so I'll be ready to discuss that soon.

RKStriker:

"Okay, class. Today we learn about-"
    "I wanna learn Force Lightning!"
    "What about our cool black and red tattoos?"
    "Teacher, Gusd is being mean to me!"
    "I'm supposed to be mean to you! We're Sith!"

Hehe. Honestly though, I could see hiding in the Force be one of the very first lessons a Sith learns.

"Mom, I just lost at World of Warcraft!"

Oh noes!...WoW flashback...

JKDart:

I like your take on the Korriban Sith. It works better than mine in many ways.

6. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Irony is, my take is from never having read them :p I intend to, sooner or later, but can't afford the comics atm. Meanwhile, I like the ideas I see evidence of. CoW; I honestly think my solution is the best one to work, tbt.

7. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Hello all, just a question is Fury worth my money ? Is Luke n Ben portrayed well ?

8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Master_Starwalker

Basically. My first Star Wars memory is Luke catching his saber over the Sarlaac in RotJ and so it's one of my favorite scenes.

I love that scene too!

Mostly, but there's some who are coming around to a more clearly delineated view.

I guess I haven't noticed that. ;)

I doubt there's 10,000 roaming around the galaxy at one time.

But I'm sure a LOT of them are.

Quivyr

I honestly don't know what to make of the quotes Windy. It's interesting to hear the evolution of Star Wars nonetheless. I do however get a sense that GL dislikes quibbling details. He seems to like to deal in the moment and do things on the fly somewhat. Others deal with continuity for him. I would also say he likes to paint in broad strokes and let others fill in the details.

That's probably a fair assessment. I know that Lucas never seems to be quite finished. He always wants to change something, it seems.

I'm not condemning the man by any means. Look at the legacy he left us. We all have flaws however, and that may be one of Mr. Lucas.

I agree!

It also lets us have some fairly interesting discussions on a whole range of topics.

Good point!

True, he could only truly effect the living world through others, but we don't know all the rules of Force Ghosting, nor what they truly do. In the netherworld, they could be expending most of their energies to stemming the growth of the dark side and keeping it in balance. A possible explanation for why they don't make many appearances.

As you said, that might make a good future story!

Hehe. Honestly though, I could see hiding in the Force be one of the very first lessons a Sith learns.

But it probably wouldn't be the one the young SIth would WANT to learn. I could see them experimenting on their own with Force Lightning. All they probably needed to do was get angry with one another or become jealous of one another and the sparks would start to fly. ;)

I like your take on the Korriban Sith. It works better than mine in many ways.

Can you very briefly mention yours again, Q? During the school year, my mind is a sieve with a thousand things to think about and plan for, so some of the things not connected to the real world seem to just disappear almost immediately. ;)

J_K_DART
    Irony is, my take is from never having read them I intend to, sooner or later, but can't afford the comics atm. Meanwhile, I like the ideas I see evidence of. CoW; I honestly think my solution is the best one to work, tbt.

There's not much that will help make Luke and the Jedi not look really stupid with 10,000 Sith running around. :( I REALLY wish the Legacy series would have been set far, far away from LotF. AS it stands, Legacy undermines anything the Big Three and their friends, family, and colleagues might have accomplished or built, in my opinon. :(

MasterSkywalker86

MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi! Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you all settled in your new area now? Are you glad that you're back east?

Hello all, just a question is Fury worth my money ?

Well, in my opinion, if you can get it at the library, it would be best.

Is Luke n Ben portrayed well ?

I think Ben was portrayed better in Fury than he was in any of the other LotF books except for Betrayal. It seems that he has matured and he doesn't seem close to falling to the darkside, as he did in Inferno. Unfortunately, the blurb for Revelation seems to hint that he may regress again. :(

As for Luke, he has one good part in the book, but I didn't like that he was so depressed that Ben thought he might be contemplating suicide. :( I did like the chats between Luke and Ben, and Ben IS officially Luke's apprentice now. THAT is certainly a good thing! The problem is that not much was made of this. There was just a small, quiet mention of their new Master/apprentice relationship.

Good to have you back,

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Child

MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi! Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you all settled in your new area now? Are you glad that you're back east?
    Hello all, just a question is Fury worth my money ?

Hi Child :) , thanks for the welcome. Im finally settled in NJ and I'm at peace for once.

good point, that's probably where my other 6 of LOTF are going ;)

I think Ben was portrayed better in Fury than he was in any of the other LotF books except for Betrayal. It seems that he has matured and he doesn't seem close to falling to the darkside, as he did in Inferno. Unfortunately, the blurb for Revelation seems to hint that he may regress again.

im glad his father is showing the error of his ways, but with so many jedi going dark for a brief stint makes me wonder i DR and Bantam were running out of ideas. We had Luke going DS in DN which is just absurd.

As for Luke, he has one good part in the book, but I didn't like that he was so depressed that Ben thought he might be contemplating suicide. I did like the chats between Luke and Ben, and Ben IS officially Luke's apprentice now. THAT is certainly a good thing! The problem is that not much was made of this. There was just a small, quiet mention of their new Master/apprentice relationship.

what was the good part ? are they having Luke hold back his power again ? I noticed that they do that with a lot of all-powerful characters, in order to make sure the story isn't too one sided, they depowered the powerhouse in order to bring up the stakes against him. Take Marvel Comics Thor for example, he has been bullet-proof all the time and in one issue they have him being shot down, later they retcon that it was a special super duper bullet and he recovers. but instead why don't they give Luke, Thor or any powerful character multple things to do instead of depowerin them ? give them multple enemies to face, an army or a militia or something.

I remember Troy's quote that having Luke use the Force to save the day is more superhero like and it wouldn't fit in a space opera, but when think of jedi i think of superhero/wizard/martial art warriors and it work for the clone wars micro series so why can't they do the same foe Luke ?

Good to have you back, MS!

thanks i'm glad to be back.

I dunno if I should keep Betrayal n Sacrifice if Invincible turns out to be good....but I hate Sacrifice.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    ChildOfWinds:
    Certainly a lot less optimistic, and skewed. *Sigh* I'm glad the OT got made first.

NJO was a train wreck. I still think they were making up a lot of the NJO as they went along.
    Considering how many conflicted stories we hear about the planning... oh, yeah. Blindfld and dartboard, here!

As an aside here: I can't believe how many NJO books got into the top 20. Sheesh! How could such drivel be so popular????? While the novelization of RotS was done better than the film, I really don't like that it ended up being number ONE. In the first place, I don't consider it to be enough of an EU book. It certainly wasn't an original EU story. I think The Thrawn Trilogy deserved the Number ONE honor. Not only was it an excellent story, well told, but it also introduced many extremely memorable characters and I think it helped lead to a resurgence of popularity in SW.
    I'm angry how low the YJK was. Ye gods, those books were leagues above the NJO. And the little blurb written about them... *Shakes head*

They'd be bouncing off the walls to use the Dark Side, methinks.

I would think so too.

Yeah, they're kids.

Yes, it's definitely needed!
    Then i shall do my best to be snarky to the NJO/DNT/LOTF! *Salutes*

And the Myrkr Strike Team and those Jedi killed in Order 66-lite and...

Exactly!

There's gotta be suspense and drama, but come on! it's ridiculously one-sided.

The brief outline you shared makes it sound like this could be fun!
    Coolness... :D

Master_Starwalker[/i]:
    :p
    Yes, yes. ;) I think I'll be making you laugh again this post...

It was a bad attempt to make a joke about Vergere's "There is no external Dark Side" view.
    Ah, aha. I see, then. Well, not bad in hindsight.

I remember that from my first viewing of ROTJ in 1987... thought it was cool. Loved Endor, hated the Ewoks.

Sith road trip!

Quivyr:
    Along with dealing with pain, I'd surmise.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Hi Child happy , thanks for the welcome. Im finally settled in NJ and I'm at peace for once.
    Welcome back, dude. :) Glad to hear you're settled.

James T. Kirk defeats JINO!
    *Setting: the bridge of the Anakin Solo, Kirk, Spock and McCoy are facing off against JINO*

Kirk: "You must... stopthisatonce! People's lives are on the line... anditmustendnow!"

JINO: "No, no! I do this... for the good of the galaxy, for the good of all!"

Spock: "Of course, Captain! The good of all, that's the key."

Bones: "The key to what, you green-blooded hobgoblin?"

Kirk: "JINO, you do this... for the good of all? What of Nelani, of Allana, of Luke? You-KILLED Nelani to save Luke... yetyou duelhimandkillhiswife. Tell me... where is the good in that? Where. Is. The. Good????"

JINO: "The good... I do this for all..."

Spock: "That is a paradox, JINO. And not logical. You have harmed more than you have saved. Kashyyyk, Commenor... All harmed, because of you."

*JINO's head is smoking*

JINO: "NO... NO! I do... this..."

Kirk: "End it, now! End the cycle of hate and violence! Do something for the good of all!"

*JINO thumbs on his lightsaber and stabs himself*

Kirk: "Such... waste."

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    MasterSkywalker86

Long time no see! :D

Hello all, just a question is Fury worth my money ? Is Luke n Ben portrayed well ?

I think they are overall, though there's some really weak spots.

ChildOfWinds

I love that scene too!

I liked Luke before that but I was just amazed when I first saw that.

I guess I haven't noticed that.

They tend to be some of the quieter fans. :p

But I'm sure a LOT of them are.

I'm sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones that were the best at hiding.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Yes, yes. ;) I think I'll be making you laugh again this post...

You did, especially with how you managed to capture Shatner-speak. :p

Ah, aha. I see, then. Well, not bad in hindsight.

It could have been clearer, but I think the underlying joke is good.

I remember that from my first viewing of ROTJ in 1987... thought it was cool. Loved Endor, hated the Ewoks.

I was around 5 so I liked them.

Sith road trip!

I can't help but picture Vader, Palpatine, and Krayt in a cheap car filled with trash.

12. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    UGGGHH!!! ! Well, it's now official : There is NO way that I'll be watching the live-action SW TV show. Knowing that it was going to involve the time between the two Trilogies, I didn't think I would be interested, but knowing now that BOBA FETT will play an important part in the series is the clincher. I have absolutely NO DESIRE to see or read anything else about Boba Fett. That guy has truly overstayed his welcome!

MasterSkywalker86

Im finally settled in NJ and I'm at peace for once.

Sounds great!

good point, that's probably where my other 6 of LOTF are going

That would be a good thing to do with them. You may want to wait until the whole series is over before you make up your mind though.

im glad his father is showing the error of his ways, but with so many jedi going dark for a brief stint makes me wonder i DR and Bantam were running out of ideas.

I think DR ran out of ideas a LONG time ago. At least Bantam had a lot more variety to its books than DE does.

We had Luke going DS in DN which is just absurd.

It IS absurd. Thank goodness he didn't go all the way.

what was the good part ?

The chats with Ben, especially when he realized that he needed to put aside his grief and get back to work. He then took charge by leading the planning of the rescue of Allana and the destruction of Centerpoint Station, and being a distraction with Ben and Saba as Leia, Han, and Wedge's wife rescued Allana.

are they having Luke hold back his power again ?

Well, he didn't do anything that was all that powerful, so you could say that.

I noticed that they do that with a lot of all-powerful characters, in order to make sure the story isn't too one sided, they depowered the powerhouse in order to bring up the stakes against him.

Yes, and they really overdo this with Luke! They hardly ever unleash him! :(

but instead why don't they give Luke, Thor or any powerful character multple things to do instead of depowerin them ? give them multple enemies to face, an army or a militia or something.

Right! Make the problem larger instead of diminishing the hero and the hero's skills.

I remember Troy's quote that having Luke use the Force to save the day is more superhero like and it wouldn't fit in a space opera, but when think of jedi i think of superhero/wizard/martial art warriors and it work for the clone wars micro series so why can't they do the same foe Luke ?

I don't remember Troy's quote, but it doesn't sound like one I would agree with!

but I hate Sacrifice.

So do *I*!

RK_Striker_JK_5

*Sigh* I'm glad the OT got made first.

So am *I*! I'm pretty sure that if I had seen TPM first, I probably wouldn't have ever gone to see another SW movie again, and I certainly wouldn't have read any SW books.

Considering how many conflicted stories we hear about the planning... oh, yeah. Blindfld and dartboard, here!

LOL!!!! EXACTLY!

I'm angry how low the YJK was. Ye gods, those books were leagues above the NJO. And the little blurb written about them... *Shakes head*

I noticed that MJ (Mariahjade) who used to post here a lot, made a very good comment in that thread about the results. She said that she thinks that the results would have been very different if the poll had been done in Fan fiction where the ratio of males to females is the opposite of what it is here in Lit.

Then i shall do my best to be snarky to the NJO/DNT/LOTF! *Salutes*

Great!

Loved Endor, hated the Ewoks.

I will admit that I'm not an Ewok fan either.

Sith road trip!

LOL!

James T. Kirk defeats JINO!
    *Setting: the bridge of the Anakin Solo, Kirk, Spock and McCoy are facing off against

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    UGGGHH!!! ! Well, it's now official : There is NO way that I'll be watching the live-action SW TV show. Knowing that it was going to involve the time between the two Trilogies, I didn't think I would be interested, but knowing now that BOBA FETT will play an important part in the series is the clincher. I have absolutely NO DESIRE to see or read anything else about Boba Fett. That guy has truly overstayed his welcome!

It's called being a bad guy, Windy.

14. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    ChildOfWinds

Luke really matured between TESB and RotJ, didn't he?

Definitely.

He really did, didn't he?

Eerily well. :p

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

As far as what I been reading lately nm but Civil War of Marvel. Since I'm not buying LOTF anymore, the 2 SW tv series wont peak my interest other than casually viewing. Legacy seems to be my last hope as it has potential, here's hoping they make a Luke post ROTJ comic c'mon DH!!! also looking forward to the Luke n Shadows of Mindor book, hopefully DR will not taint the SW tales I miss of good n evil in a GFFA. Can anyone hope for a Big 3 series ?

JediBen

hey Ben I meant to ask u what change your mind about JMS's Thor return ? I enjoy the fight between him and the Destroyer. Wish they showed more or had Thor properly schooling Destroyer.

also Thor would beat Sentry easy ;)

what's this I hear that Bendis doesn't like Thor ?

and why is Spidey getting a retcon!!!!!!

RK Stryker

Welcome back, dude. Glad to hear you're settled.

thanks man I'm glad to be back and not worry about boxes for a while.

Kirk: "End it, now! End the cycle of hate and violence! Do something for the good of all!"

*JINO thumbs on his lightsaber and stabs himself*

Kirk: "Such... waste."

lol, that cracked me up, though I feel at this point its the only option left. please just end Jacen's life and be done with it.

in fact I would just send a T-1000 to just be done with him. [face_devil]

I remember that from my first viewing of ROTJ in 1987... thought it was cool. Loved Endor, hated the Ewoks

I remember watching the beginning of jedi in 1991, before Luke comes in, I was grossed out by the creatures when 3po n R2 walked in to Jabba's palace and i didnt have a clue about what was going on. Too bad it took 6 years later for me to get interes;ted. ;)

MasterStarwalker

I think they are overall, though there's some really weak spots.

sounds like most of LOTF, deftinly a rental i guess.

Long time no see!

Hey MS :) , yeah I finally moved in to my new home.

They tend to be some of the quieter fans.

I wholeheartily agree with this remark. :)

ChildofWinds

I thought Boba's playground was suppose to be in Traviss books. ;)

That would be a good thing to do with them. You may want to wait until the whole series is over before you make up your mind though.

I think I seen what I had to seen, perhaps Invincible will be a good book to purchase perhaps not. Right now I just want the series to end and hope that a new contract with a another publisher will bring back the SW I miss from the OT with some modern aspects of the PT. Luke kicking butt is a requirement ;) I feel a massive retcon would be great at this point.

I think DR ran out of ideas a LONG time ago. At least Bantam had a lot more variety to its books than DE does.

True, Bantam still had their superweapon of the week club going on, but at least they had good novels to go with them. TTT, SOTE, and CoPL.

The chats with Ben, especially when he realized that he needed to put aside his grief and get back to work. He then took charge by leading the planning of the rescue of Allana and the destruction of Centerpoint Station, and being a distraction with Ben and Saba as Leia, Han, and Wedge's wife rescued Allana.

not bad, the only other thing that Allston is good at (besides X-wings) is dialouge. The family scenes in Betrayal makes me wonder why cant we have more calm genuine heartful moments with the Sky/Solo family. Though I think a combination of action by Sto

16. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    RK_Striker_JK_5: (concerning your dramatization of Kirk & Co. dealing with JINO

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

=D==D==D==D==D=

Brilliant!!! You captured the mannerisms of the ST characters perfectly. Especially Kirk; that is hands down how he talks. Moreover, it reminds me of a few episodes where Kirk deals with the problem in that manner.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Master_Starwalker:
    You did, especially with how you managed to capture Shatner-speak.
    Thanks. ;) I've got all three seasons and the movies on DVD. Kirk's my favorite ST character of all time.

It could have been clearer, but I think the underlying joke is good.
    Yeah, it was. Just a little confusion on my part.

I can't help but picture Vader, Palpatine, and Krayt in a cheap car filled with trash.
    I think I can work with that... although I'm gonna include JINO and Maul. ;) [face_laugh]

He really did, didn't he?

Eerily well.

I own all 6 series on DVD and over 200 novles. ;)

ChildOfWinds:
    Hehe, I wans't gonna watch it anyway. Between the PT and OT? No, thanks. Besides, it'd be pretty easy to figure out who lives/dies.

Yes, they did. From an old post...

"Without the NJO, we would of had the whole "Rogue Jedi/Darksider/Resentful Imperial tries to take on the galaxy with some variation of the Death Star" plot again and again ad nauseum."

Actually, let's use this as an opportunity to look over Bantam's handiwork and see just if things really ever got to the point where there was a 'formula', for I am not convinced it got to that. Had it continued then perhaps formulation would have set in, but I don't think it actually did. If anything, I am inclined to see the accusation as DR slagging off Bantam without cause for the sin of getting the licence first time, but let's examine the books in brief:

1. 1991-1993: The Thrawn Trilogy: Along with DE, the one that kicked it all off, first time the Empire tried to take over the galaxy. Without superweaponry I might add.
    2. 1994: The Truce At Bakura: Bunch of aliens try to take over.
    3. 1994: Jedi Academy Trilogy: Empire has a secondary villain role, with Daala and Furgon as factions but the main villain is Exar Kun, a long dead Sith Lord. So we have our first Jedi threat plus a superweapon.
    4. 1994: Courtship Of Princess Leia: this focuses on a darksider that Palpatine had kept on a planet.
    5. 1994: Corellian Trilogy: Psycho Corellian cousin of Solo turns up, alien conspiracy with tech that can be converted to use as weapon - Centerpoint Station.
    6. 1995: Children Of The Jedi: Eye Of Palpatine is re-activated by an experimental subject for a bunch of aristocrats to take over.
    7. 1995: Darksaber: Empire mounts its biggest offensive since Thrawn but put Daala in command, 'nuff said.
    8. 1995: Black Fleet Crisis: Another bunch of aliens try to take over.
    9. 1996: The New Rebellion: Repetition of dark-side ex-Jedi trying to take over, but gets much 10. further than Kun or Gethezerion.
    11. 1996: Crystal Star: Blob of Jello wants to rule assisted by Dark Jedi.
    12. 1996-1997: X-Wing 1-4: Restores the Empire to centre stage as villain as the Rebs aim to take out Isard and capture Coruscant.
    13. 1997-1998: Hand Of Thrawn: Ties up the Empire-NR war with the Empire making one last play for power by using the type of situation that created it.
    14. 1998: I Jedi: Retelling of JAT with Corran Horn plot mixed in and X-Wings.
    15. 1998: Planet Of Twilight: Arms manufacturer developes newly sentient weapons that an Imperial warlord tries to use.
    16. 1998: X-Wing 5-8: Focused on Zsinj's war and Isard's return.
    17. 1999: X-Wing 9: A rogue tale.
    18. 1998-1999: Bounty Hunter Wars: A trilogy for the bad guys.
    19. 1994-1999: 5 Tales short story collections.

OK, across 38 books published across 8 years, covering around 20 years from the end of ANH to VOTF w

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And the Fett in the series is likely to be moody, teenager Fett...

Not Classic Fett...

Aka..Never-ever-going-to-be-replicated-dead-cool-Fett-of-ESB-&-ROTJ.

Not that that'll stop LFL trying to recapture said lightning in a bottle, see Darth Maul and Aurra Sing...Actually, the latter one? Don't.

JB

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Fixed. :p

20. Quivyr

Sep 4, 2007
    Will he be thrown into the Karlaac pit at the end of every episode?

21. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Hopefully. And isn't it the Sarlacc on Tatooine?

22. Quivyr

Sep 4, 2007
    Ah yes, Sarlacc. Thanks for correcting me. I knew it was something along those lines. And yes, on Tatooine.

23. Quivyr

Sep 4, 2007
    Windy, My take on the Korriban Sith was basically this. One of the first things the Sith learn is to hide in the Force. The very nature of the dark side helps them because by definition, it lends itself to being draped in shadow.

As for there being 10,000? That's at the time of Legacy if I'm not mistaken. I don't think there have been any numbers posted of them at the time of LoTF. It could conceivably be only in the hundreds. I definitely agree with Dart in that they probably limit their use of the Force while away from Korriban as well.

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Charlemagne19

It's called being a bad guy, Windy.

I agree that Fett is a bad guy, C, but what did you mean by this comment?

MasterSkywalker86

here's hoping they make a Luke post ROTJ comic c'mon DH!!!

They already did, MS. It's called DE and I HATED it! :(

also looking forward to the Luke n Shadows of Mindor book, hopefully DR will not taint the SW tales I miss of good n evil in a GFFA.

I wish they hadn't pushed this book back to October!

Can anyone hope for a Big 3 series ?

I don't think so, MS. It will be said that the Big 3 are involved in most of the books Post RotJ and the publisher will consider that to be the Big 3 Series.

I thought Boba's playground was suppose to be in Traviss books.

It's beginning to look like he and the Mandalorians are EVERYWHERE these days. :(

Right now I just want the series to end and hope that a new contract with a another publisher will bring back the SW I miss from the OT with some modern aspects of the PT. Luke kicking butt is a requirement

Well, I'd certainly like that too, but I doubt that we're going to get what we want. I'm almost positive that Del Rey will probably get the contract again. :( :mad:

I feel a massive retcon would be great at this point.

I'd like to start the EU all over again from the end of TTT.

True, Bantam still had their superweapon of the week club going on, but at least they had good novels to go with them. TTT, SOTE, and CoPL.

And they weren't all superweapon books either.

The family scenes in Betrayal makes me wonder why cant we have more calm genuine heartful moments with the Sky/Solo family.

That's something that I've been complaining about since the beginning of the NJO.

right yet in other media like clone wars and the force unleashed they display crazy feats yet they want Luke to be depowered when he inherited his father's potential. LAME!!!

Yes, it drives me NUTS! It's so frustrating!

Right! Make the problem larger instead of diminishing the hero and the hero's skills.

exactly, not really that difficult to do.

It certainly doesn't seem all that hard to do.

let Luke actually show why he's Anakin's son.

Yes, with POWER; not with DARKNESS!

RK_Striker_JK_5
    Hehe, I wans't gonna watch it anyway. Between the PT and OT? No, thanks. Besides, it'd be pretty easy to figure out who lives/dies.

I know! I don't like when they go back in time to tell the story. The viewer/reader already knows all of the important things that will happen.

Actually, let's use this as an opportunity to look over Bantam's handiwork and see just if things really ever got to the point where there was a 'formula', for I am not convinced it got to that.

OK, across 38 books published across 8 years, covering around 20 years from the end of ANH to VOTF we have:

3 attempts by the Empire proper to take back the galaxy. (TTT, D, HOT)
    4 darksiders trying to take over. (JAT, COTJ, TNR, COPL)
    3 invasions from aliens, be they from inside the galaxy, outside it or from another universe. (TCS, TAB, BFC)
    4 that focuses on the war with the Empire, ie. X-Wing (X-W 1-9 + IJ)
    1 that is on bounty hunters (TBHW)
    6 superweapons of various kinds from various eras (D, JAT, COTJ, TNR, POT, CT)
    1 alien conspiracy plot to take over (CT)

Doesn't seem that repetitive to me, seen like that...

Meanwhile, with Del rey, we've had basically three plots...

Thanks for posting that, Striker! I've been saying for a long time that we got more variety with Bantam. Your post is the proof of that!

LOTF-A bad rehash of the prequels. And again... think of how much worse it's gotta be to be worse than the prequels.

That's BAD, all right!

although oddly enough, the only likeable version of Anakin Skywalker.

I'll give it that!

Okay... Sith Road trip!
    *Palpatine, Vader, JINO, Maul and Krayt are in an old Lamb

25. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Windy,

I've been lurking around everyday. Except right now, I haven't bought anything Star Wars since Legacy 1 TPB. Waiting for the second one which is due soon I think, so I haven't got much to say right now.

Though I did like Striker's Sith Road Trip story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.