main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    MasterSkywalker86

sounds like most of LOTF, deftinly a rental i guess.

I think it's one of the better LotF books, but you shouldn't buy it since you're frustrated with the rest of the series.

I wholeheartily agree with this remark. :)

I can't blame them for it either given the highly polarized nature of the Prequel debate online.

I thought Boba's playground was suppose to be in Traviss books.

I think it would be hilarious if Lucas forced a massive Boba-related retcon. Something akin to "My people have no language." And Mando'a having to be retconned away. I may just prefer that since it would get the Mandos closer to how they were in Jango Fett: Open Seasons.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Thanks. ;) I've got all three seasons and the movies on DVD. Kirk's my favorite ST character of all time.

I haven't seen much, but I do think I prefer the more pulpish Original Series to Next Generation and the rest.

I think I can work with that... although I'm gonna include JINO and Maul.

I just realized Maul is better as comic relief than as the threatening Sith Lord.

ChildOfWinds

Again, I just don't like the fact that they exist at all. No matter how you look at it, it makes Luke look bad. And the fact that they practically destroy the Jedi Order again so soon after it was restored means that Luke's life's work was destroyed.

Except that Luke's lifework is why there are any Jedi at all. If not for Luke all the Jedi except K'Kruhk would be dead or asleep.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Quivyr:
    Will he be thrown into the Karlaac pit at the end of every episode?
    Looks like Team Mando is taking off agaaaaain!

ChildOfWinds
    I agree that Fett is a bad guy, C, but what did you mean by this comment?
    My guess is someone's gotta be the antagonist. And Fett would make the most sense. I gotta agree, actually. This is his era, too.

I know! I don't like when they go back in time to tell the story. The viewer/reader already knows all of the important things that will happen.
    It can be done well. Star Trek: Enterprise is an example of this. It's best when the prequel is set in a time that not much is known about, like ENT. This TV series... not so much.

Thanks for posting that, Striker! I've been saying for a long time that we got more variety with Bantam. Your post is the proof of that!
    Thank the person who did the analysis. ;) But, yeah. Bantam had a lot more variety than the stereotype and a lot more than Del Rey.

although oddly enough, the only likeable version of Anakin Skywalker.

I'll give it that!

Jake was a lot better than Hayden, sorry. Even with the creepy age difference.

LOL! Thanks for the chuckles!
    No problem. SW had humor... not overshadowing, but humor. That aspect's been fogotten, sadly.

Lord_Riven:
    Though I did like Striker's Sith Road Trip story.
    *Bows* Thank you.

I haven't seen much, but I do think I prefer the more pulpish Original Series to Next Generation and the rest.
    I like TNG and DSN best, but there's some stuff the original's done better than the new stuff.

I just realized Maul is better as comic relief than as the threatening Sith Lord.
    LOL, he is.

And now, without further ado...

Captain Picard takes out JINO!:
    *The bridge of the Anakin Solo-again. JINO is standing with Jean-Luc Picard*

JINO: "Blargh! I shall torture you, bald man!"

Picard. "Go ahead. I've been assimilated by the Borg, tortured for weeks on end by Gul Evek and had to deal with Deanna Trois' mother. You are a child, playing at being a man."

JINO: "Do you have any idea the burden on my soul? The things I've had to do..."

Picard. "You haven't had to do anything. Every step, every move down your path of self-damnation was chosen by you! *Points* Not by anyone else. You chose to kill Nelani, to destroy Ta'a Chume's mind, to KILL Mara Jade Skywalker, your aunt... there's a special place in hell for you, unless you repent."

JINO: "Repent? Repent?? I... I did this for my uncle, for-"

Picard. "You killed Luke's wife and tortured his son for him? You've made his life a living hell for him? As Sarek would say, your logic is lacking. Please, Jacen. You must come back... for your sake, if for no one else's."

JINO. "Too... late... my road is clear. I shall follow it to the end."

Picard. "Then I have nothing more to say."

*PIcard turns to go*

JINO. "Come back! I did not give you permission to leave! I'll kill you!"

Picard. "I've been dead before, and you hold no power over me, JINO."

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Tell you what, if you've a point to make, how about you actually say what it is? Instead of screwing around with what I've written because I have little tolerance for this particular internet fad of disrespecting quotes - it's sloppy, lazy and bad practice.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that I'm less irritated...

COW,

Yep, but I've been a bit busy due to having a life. ;)

MS86,

hey Ben I meant to ask u what change your mind about JMS's Thor return ? I enjoy the fight between him and the Destroyer. Wish they showed more or had Thor properly schooling Destroyer.

* JMS seems to be far better suited to the mythic themes of Thor than characters such as Fantastic Four. It's also far more self-contained. One defence of JMS' FF run was that it was heavily tied to the Civil War story so was limited.

also Thor would beat Sentry easy

* Yep, he's Thor.

what's this I hear that Bendis doesn't like Thor ?

* Hmm, that's new to me, care to elaborate?

and why is Spidey getting a retcon!!!!!!

* Cause Joe Q doesn't like the marriage? It's one of those moves that becomes worse the more you read of it.

JB

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    So the prequel era is getting 1 animated series, the in between 3-4 era is getting a live action show and a video game media project, Legacy is still kicking with the comics......so what's exactly the plan for the Classic characters ? they get another lame book series that's about to end, comic wise they seem to be only alive in the Rebellion era. I dunno about u guys but I feel LFL doesn't like to please their old school fans at all.
    am I the only one who feels like this ?

RK Striker

Thanks. And yeah, it's past time for JINO to get his and get it badly.

well one thing I can say about the series is that they made me hate Jacen even more than I thought possible. So RK I know you gave up on the books a while ago, so what do you read now a days ? do you read the comics at all ?

JB

* JMS seems to be far better suited to the mythic themes of Thor than characters such as Fantastic Four. It's also far more self-contained. One defence of JMS' FF run was that it was heavily tied to the Civil War story so was limited.

I think his work on Spider-man: The Other and the morlun arc also represent this well. enjoy Thor's self contain arc for now with Secret Invasion on the way it wont last too long since he plays a vital role. what's your favorite part of Thor's return so far ?

* Yep, he's Thor.

speaking of which who's your favorite marvel character anyway ?

* Hmm, that's new to me, care to elaborate?

there was a quote why Bendis didn't want to write Thor, as well as another where Ares would triump over Thor in a future fight.

* Cause Joe Q doesn't like the marriage? It's one of those moves that becomes worse the more you read of it.

one thing I really hate about it is all that has been establish, his organic webbing, new powers, marriage of course, may finds out peter is spidey, harry's death, civil war...etc. all of it has diminish. I'm sure Dan Slott could of have done new and interesting things while leaving Spidey's status quote. but it seems whatever Joe Q wants he gets...lame!!!

well at least BND is doing well, that's something at least.

MS

I think it's one of the better LotF books, but you shouldn't buy it since you're frustrated with the rest of the series.

At this point I might as well stay with the comics, only problem is there isn't much than Legacy that I would care about. SW Tales is entertaining, but it's basically a bunch of short stories, Infinities is a interesting glance, KOTOR isn't the era I'm looking for, Rebellion deals with the classic era, but I want something Post ROTJ.

basically i'm looking for some new Big 3 action in post ROTJ era.

I'll take a glance at invincible to see how it pans out, but I think Stover's book is my only hope.

I can't blame them for it either given the highly polarized nature of the Prequel debate online.

please explain.

I think it would be hilarious if Lucas forced a massive Boba-related retcon. Something akin to "My people have no language." And Mando'a having to be retconned away. I may just prefer that since it would get the Mandos closer to how they were in Jango Fett: Open Seasons.

perhaps it would explain Boba's silence on screen time... ;)

Child

They already did, MS. It's called DE and I HATED it!

seeing the power he wielded was awesome, seeing the art was not. :(

I wish they hadn't pushed this book back to October!

darn, what's the hold up ?

I don't think so, MS. It will be said that the Big 3 are involved in most of the books Post RotJ and the publisher will consider that to be the Big 3 Series.

that's a rather lame excuse, the PT books, comics have been heavily used in EU now a days. I hoping at least we get some big 3 in comics now.

It's beginning to look like he and the Mandalorians are EVERYWHERE these days.

well to be fair, there wasn't much about them early on.

Well, I'd certainly like that too, but I doubt that we're g

6. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    MasterSkywalker86

I dunno about u guys but I feel LFL doesn't like to please their old school fans at all.

I agree, but then I'm such a Luke-centric fan that I think the best parts of Legacy are when Luke's Force Ghosts appear.

At this point I might as well stay with the comics, only problem is there isn't much than Legacy that I would care about. SW Tales is entertaining, but it's basically a bunch of short stories, Infinities is a interesting glance, KOTOR isn't the era I'm looking for, Rebellion deals with the classic era, but I want something Post ROTJ.

Yeah, I really wish there were still a lot more stories coming out about Luke, Leia, and Han that maintained the pulp-style of the OT.

please explain.

What I mean is that they often get lashed out at by both the die-hard Prequels fans and the die-hard Prequel detractors. There's some who do manage to keep it civil despite that(I'd like to think I'm one.)

perhaps it would explain Boba's silence on screen time...

[face_laugh]

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    MS

I agree, but then I'm such a Luke-centric fan that I think the best parts of Legacy are when Luke's Force Ghosts appear.

Same here ;) but I just dont see any hint of them giving the Big 3 some sort of comic series. why I dunno. what are you reading SW wise now ?

Yeah, I really wish there were still a lot more stories coming out about Luke, Leia, and Han that maintained the pulp-style of the OT.

yeah, perhaps in the comics they wouldn't display Luke holding back.

What I mean is that they often get lashed out at by both the die-hard Prequels fans and the die-hard Prequel detractors. There's some who do manage to keep it civil despite that(I'd like to think I'm one.)

That's only too true, especially with some fans clamboring for their deaths, which IMO is stupid. It's not like they cant read something else with so much EU expanding.

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    MasterSkywalker86

Same here ;) but I just dont see any hint of them giving the Big 3 some sort of comic series. why I dunno. what are you reading SW wise now ?

Mainly just LotF and Legacy, though I'm looking forward to Luke Skywalker in the Shadows of Mindor than I am anything else. I'm also reading 'Star Wars and Philosophy' but that's so incredibly niche that I'm not sure it's worth mentioning.

yeah, perhaps in the comics they wouldn't display Luke holding back.

I think they would be more willing to let him be unleashed in such a visual medium and I think John Ostrander has written a better Luke than the LotF authors overall.

That's only too true, especially with some fans clamboring for their deaths, which IMO is stupid. It's not like they cant read something else with so much EU expanding.

Exactly. Adding a pulpy story in the post-RotJ era would only help the franchise.

9. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Lord_Riven

I've been lurking around everyday. Except right now, I haven't bought anything Star Wars since Legacy 1 TPB. Waiting for the second one which is due soon I think, so I haven't got much to say right now.

Ah, okay! It's always good when we do get to hear from you.

Master_Starwalker .

LOL! I agree!

Except that Luke's lifework is why there are any Jedi at all.

Well, there don't seem to be all that many left, or if there are, they certainly aren't acting like Jedi. It's like back to post Order 66 all over again.

If not for Luke all the Jedi except K'Kruhk would be dead or asleep.

:confused: Sorry, Master Sky, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this.

RK_Striker_JK_5
    My guess is someone's gotta be the antagonist. And Fett would make the most sense. I gotta agree, actually. This is his era, too.

Don't you think Vader and Palpatine and the Empire would be the major antagonists of this period?

But, yeah. Bantam had a lot more variety than the stereotype and a lot more than Del Rey.

Bantam was a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for. And it didn't have the luxury of publishing the stories in chronological order either which Del Rey did.

No problem. SW had humor... not overshadowing, but humor. That aspect's been fogotten, sadly.

And it's really too bad, because it used to be an important and positive part of SW.

Captain Picard takes out JINO!:
    *The bridge of the Anakin Solo-again. JINO is standing with Jean-Luc Picard*

JINO: "Blargh! I shall torture you, bald man!"

Picard. "Go ahead. I've been assimilated by the Borg, tortured for weeks on end by Gul Evek and had to deal with Deanna Trois' mother. You are a child, playing at being a man."

Once again, nicely done, Striker!

Picard. "I've been dead before, and you hold no power over me, JINO."

I'd like to know Jino's reaction to that! ;)

Jedi Ben

Yep, but I've been a bit busy due to having a life.

LOL! You mean there's life beyond SW??? LOL! With some folks on these boards you sometimes doubt it! ;)

and why is Spidey getting a retcon!!!!!!

I really hope they retcon the retcon so the marriage stays!

MasterSkywalker86

So the prequel era is getting 1 animated series, the in between 3-4 era is getting a live action show and a video game media project, Legacy is still kicking with the comics......so what's exactly the plan for the Classic characters ? they get another lame book series that's about to end, comic wise they seem to be only alive in the Rebellion era. I dunno about u guys but I feel LFL doesn't like to please their old school fans at all.

No, you're certainly not the only one, MS! Not only don't they have much planned in the future for those of us who like the classic characters, but what they've given us with the classic characters has NOT been very pleasant in the NJO, DN, or LotF. :(

basically i'm looking for some new Big 3 action in post ROTJ era.

I guess all we're going to get is going to be Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. :(

I'll take a glance at invincible to see how it pans out, but I think Stover's book is my only hope.

Same here. I just hope he isn't too dark, gritty, and graphically violent in the book. Stovers books do tend to be that way.

seeing the power he wielded was awesome, seeing the art was not.

Seeing him reading darkside books wasn't awesome either. :(

I wish they hadn't pushed this book back to October!
    darn, what's the hold up ?

I'm not positive, but I think they switched it with that multi-media thing that everyone's been buzzing about.

that

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    ChildOfWinds

Well, there don't seem to be all that many left, or if there are, they certainly aren't acting like Jedi. It's like back to post Order 66 all over again.

We don't know that. All we know is that they're not being successful at it. Wolf, Kruhk, and Shado have one plan but we don't know they're the only ones who are doing any good.

Sorry, Master Sky, but I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by this.

If not for Luke all the Jedi would either have died of old age or been hunted down by Palpatine except for Kruhk who is long-lived and Ikrit who might still be asleep.

Unfortunately, that's only happened TWICE, and I think he may have been on about 3 pages total.

Definitely.

It's too bad we can't get LFL and Del Rey and Dark Horse to see things that way.

Agreed, though apparently it's what Stover is trying to do with Luke Skywalker in the Shadows of Mindor.

11. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I can't speak for other Luke/Leia-death-clamorers, but I actually do enjoy the Vong War generation: in other words, while I can (and do) read stories from all over the EU's chronology, I have a genuine interest in the post-Endor period beyond wanting to open more slots for other stuff.

----

For what it's worth, I was introduced to Star Wars via A New Hope-- obviously the OT/PT distinction doesn't entirely account for differing fan opinions. ;)

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    KotOR seems to remember that Star Wars had humor too. Even Legacy has a few funny parts. In LotF, there's some Allston humor, but even Alltson can only add so much humor to things once things go really bad, post-Sacrifice.

Yeah, good prequels are not impossible. Star Trek Enterprise was actually doing a pretty good job near the end of its broadcast. The Star Wars prequels... well, not sure if you could call them good prequels (or good movies for tha matter), but at least they also fleshed out many people's backstories, even if some links remain ridiculous (Anakin building Threepio, the first Death Star taking nearly two decades to build, then the second is operational in less than a five years).

And also, the less said about Spiderman's ridiculous retcon, the better. Might as well bring back Gwen Stacy while they were at it.... So much stuff retconned (though not Gwen's twins, for some reason...). Some stuff like "The Other" probably weren't that good, but still, it was all progress and change on the character, all of which has been erased and/or forgotten. I'm not even sure if the new author knows all the rules yet, or if they're making it up as they go along as its magic so anything goes. And from what I've heard, BND is... ok. Though despite the author, it obviously wasn't worth a retcon of this level just to reset the status quo instead of having Spidey trapped in the Civil War quagmire. Then again, most of Peter's major problems have spun out of Civil War, so maybe the Skrull invasion will retcon this retcon too.... And yeah, mainly its Marvel's Editor in Chief that seems to have been the major architect behind this abomination. There's a chance that it might just be a temporary thing, just like Steve Roger's death (he'll be back, of course, especially with that movie coming), but probably not as long as he's in charge.

Its kind of sad how little post-RotJ literature there is at the moment, especially concerning the Big Three. There were those old Rogue Squadron comics, but that was years ago. Rebellion is post Episode IV, Dark Times post Episode III, and Legacy and KotOR are basically their own eras. Rebellion is ok, but... I honestly don't care about reading comics where Luke's still at his most naive farmboy-ness with little to no Jedi tricks. Hopefully that Shadows of Mindor book will remedy that problem a little (as long as they don't use the artwork from the New Essential Chronology).

And heh, love your Picard's approach to taking down JINO. Janeway would just preach for a while with little to no effect, until Seven of Nine came in with some Borg technobabble to solve the problem. Kirk probably would've punched JINO's lights out by now, come to think of it (the best approach to the JINO problem is probably more violence, by this point).

I think Luke's main legacy is an improved Jedi Order over the old post-Ruusan one. The Jedi are scattered, but it doesn't seem like they're anywhere near as bad as during post Order 66. Not to mention that most of the Jedi in Legacy are generally likable characters. In the prequels, there were lots of likable characters, but most got killed off. At least in Legacy the death of the first somewhat established Jedi (as in, he didn't just show up and get killed in two pages) was a major event that was a valiant stand against the darkness of the Sith.

Its a dark time, but not as dark as other eras, and I like all the new ship designs. I'm sick of the same old "Imperial Star Destroyer bearing down on us!". The Venator was a good design, but it seems to have been abandoned about five minutes after Episode III ended, as suddenly the Empire already has all the OT stuff (stormtroopers, Imperial-class Star Destroyers, etc.).

And yeah, Luke's Force ghost appearances are some of the best parts of the Legacy comic. He's been on about... four, maybe five pages so far, but its not like he can appear everywhere. And the second time he appeared, Cade actually listened.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Jedi_Ben:
    Yep, but I've been a bit busy due to having a life.
    What is this 'life' you speak of? ;)

MasterSkywalker86:
    well one thing I can say about the series is that they made me hate Jacen even more than I thought possible. So RK I know you gave up on the books a while ago, so what do you read now a days ? do you read the comics at all ?
    Well, I re-read the old novels, and Star Trek books too. Comics are few and far between for me, not time/money for them. Although I got some classic TPBs like the old Crisis, Kingdom Come, Death of Superman and some Spiderman stuff.

Mine is Spiderman, personally.

ChildOfWinds:
    Don't you think Vader and Palpatine and the Empire would be the major antagonists of this period?
    Hmm... if they bring those two in too often, both lose their impact and it becomes unbelievable for the good guys to constantly get away/win. Fett is a good, medium-level threat for the good guys, IMHO.

Bantam was a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for. And it didn't have the luxury of publishing the stories in chronological order either which Del Rey did.
    And their continuity is leagues better, too. And that's pretty damning of Del Rey, considering the DR books are published in order like they are. And their books all have at least one redeeming factor.

And it's really too bad, because it used to be an important and positive part of SW.
    "Into the garbage chute, flyboy!"

"I don't know, fly casual!"

"It's not my fault, they told me they fixed it!"

Once again, nicely done, Striker!
    Thanks, although not my best work...

I'm not positive, but I think they switched it with that multi-media thing that everyone's been buzzing about.
    SW: Unleashed? Yeesh, they can't release Mindor with that going on? Makes little sense.

Nobody145:
    Yeah, good prequels are not impossible. Star Trek Enterprise was actually doing a pretty good job near the end of its broadcast.
    Yeah, it was firing on all cylinders there... stupid UPN...

And also, the less said about Spiderman's ridiculous retcon, the better. Might as well bring back Gwen Stacy while they were at it....
    Why don't we send him back to high school at this point and have Flash Thompson beat him up?

And heh, love your Picard's approach to taking down JINO. Janeway would just preach for a while with little to no effect, until Seven of Nine came in with some Borg technobabble to solve the problem. Kirk probably would've punched JINO's lights out by now, come to think of it (the best approach to the JINO problem is probably more violence, by this point).
    lol, I wrote Kirk talking JINO into suicide a page back. Beating him up is SISKO'S task. [face_devil]

And without further ado...

Ben Sisko confronts JINO:
    *Still on the Anakin Solo's bridge. This time, it's Ben Sisko, intrepid ass-kicker from Deep Space Nine!*

JINO: "I won't talk this out like the-" *He is interrupted when Ben rushes him, gets inside his guard and punches him twice in the face. JINO rocks back, teeth and blood flying*

JINO. "T-the hell... *Spit* I just... but I'm Caedus!"

Sisko. "No, you little brat. You are a CHILD, a little thing. I'm Ben Sisko. I'm the most hardcore captain in Star Trek history!"

JINO. "B-but I-"

Sisko. "My son's tougher than you are... okay, he's tougher than a lot of people, but still tougher than you!" *Goes in and reduces JINO to a bloody pulp*

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

I think his work on Spider-man: The Other and the morlun arc also represent this well.

* That's gone now.

enjoy Thor's self contain arc for now with Secret Invasion on the way it wont last too long since he plays a vital role. what's your favorite part of Thor's return so far ?

* He does? Where was that mentioned? I'd be happier with Thor staying self-contained, book doesn't need a crossover boost.

* Right now I'd have to say Danny Rand is fun to read about. I also like the Winter Soldier, plus I've a liking for Frank Castle when written by Garth ennis.

there was a quote why Bendis didn't want to write Thor, as well as another where Ares would triump over Thor in a future fight.

* Hmm, perhaps but Bendis is known for provocative comments.

one thing I really hate about it is all that has been establish, his organic webbing, new powers, marriage of course, may finds out peter is spidey, harry's death, civil war...etc. all of it has diminish. I'm sure Dan Slott could of have done new and interesting things while leaving Spidey's status quote. but it seems whatever Joe Q wants he gets...lame!!!

* What the boss wants, the boss gets.

well at least BND is doing well, that's something at least.

* Maybe but the problem now is there never will be any progression for Peter Parker, which was Erik Larsen's comment on it. The character is locked. After a while that does become stale and uninteresting.

RK,

I like the Trek vs Caedus sequences, especially the Sisko one, however, I can posit an alternative:

"Sir a ship has appeared out of nowhere!"
    "And?"
    "It's blasted 3 turbolasers and 4 tractor beams, plus 5 ion cannons are out!"
    "What? No hail or talking before firing?"
    "No, sir, it just appeared and starting firing!"
    "Well, fire back, cretin!"
    "Can't, the ship's too small and fast, its guns are too powerful, it's...Sir, it's systematically destroying every turret and turbolasrer we have!"
    "Despatch fighters!"
    "Reports in of launching bays on fire due to some sort of torpedo."

then

"Attention Jem'Hadar Battlecruiser, surrender or be destroyed."
    "Who are you?"
    "Benjamin Sisko, Captain of the USS Defiant. Now, surrender!"
    "No, never, I'm a Dark Lord of the Sith! You can't beat me!"
    Cadeus rants on and on and on until quantum torpedoes blow up the bridge.

JB

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    True, it's just one of a bunch of factors and definitely not even the most significant.

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    MS

Mainly just LotF and Legacy, though I'm looking forward to Luke Skywalker in the Shadows of Mindor than I am anything else. I'm also reading 'Star Wars and Philosophy' but that's so incredibly niche that I'm not sure it's worth mentioning.

I'm also looking foreward to the Stover book, usually when he writes a SW book he makes it very epic, which ties into SW well. His display of action is also awesome, which is a necessity to a Luke book ;) but he isn't perfect I look at Traitor as evidence.

comic wise for me is just Legacy. I hope that'll change in the future.

I think they would be more willing to let him be unleashed in such a visual medium and I think John Ostrander has written a better Luke than the LotF authors overall.

right, they did so in DE, TTT transfer well. I mean we need a cool unleashed moment. Kol had one before he became one with the Force.

Exactly. Adding a pulpy story in the post-RotJ era would only help the franchise.

which honestly I think the franchise is lacking now adays. I mean isn't that what the series is known for ?

Child

No, you're certainly not the only one, MS! Not only don't they have much planned in the future for those of us who like the classic characters, but what they've given us with the classic characters has NOT been very pleasant in the NJO, DN, or LotF.

I just feel they're kicking us to the curb, while bringing out all their "new" and "exciting ideas". I mean I wouldn't be complaining if they threw us a bone.

I guess all we're going to get is going to be Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

well that's something at least. I can live with SW comics as my main EU experience(Legacy has potential), but I'm hoping they get wise and throw the OT fans some good stories.

Same here. I just hope he isn't too dark, gritty, and graphically violent in the book. Stovers books do tend to be that way.

well Traitor isn't a very good example, but the ROTS novelization really moved me which was very unexpected.

Seeing him reading darkside books wasn't awesome either.

it turn out well in the end.

that sounds plausible.

I think Dark Horse is already pretty occupied with Legacy, Rebellion, Dark Times, and Kotor.

well they aren't as big as Marvel, but I think they can put some POST ROTJ stories with the big 3.

Which was just FINE with me!

have to agree with u there.

Because there haven't been any rumors about any other publishers, and because LFL seems pretty pleased with Del Rey. And since Del Rey is still making money, they're probably going to want to keep the franchise.

really ? I hear it has been rather quiet. but I haven't been keeping up with the news.

Well, since there haven't been all that many, I'm willing to sacrifice those in the hopes that we get many MORE awesome Luke events in the replacement books!

I second it.

Well, Striker sort of debunked that with his post yesterday or the day before. Yes, there WERE some superweapon stories, but there were many other things too.

ok u got me there, but some of the other stories did fall in the weird category even for a GFFA.

It's probably already too late!

yeah your right.

Trip

I can't speak for other Luke/Leia-death-clamorers, but I actually do enjoy the Vong War generation: in other words, while I can (and do) read stories from all over the EU's chronology, I have a genuine interest in the post-Endor period beyond wanting to open more slots for other stuff.

Hello Trip I don't think we met, did u go by 000 at one point(maybe I'm mistaken)? Well I'm happy you do enjoy the new generation, especially if they start moving to the forefront. I don't wanna whine like a skywalker, but the Big 3 parts aren't exactly what I'm looking for. My wish now is that the Big 3 have separate s

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    MasterSkywalker86

I'm also looking foreward to the Stover book, usually when he writes a SW book he makes it very epic, which ties into SW well. His display of action is also awesome, which is a necessity to a Luke book but he isn't perfect I look at Traitor as evidence.

I'd imagine that Mindor would be closest to RotS of all the novels he's written so I'm not too worried.

comic wise for me is just Legacy. I hope that'll change in the future.

So do I.

right, they did so in DE, TTT transfer well. I mean we need a cool unleashed moment. Kol had one before he became one with the Force.

Exactly.

which honestly I think the franchise is lacking now adays. I mean isn't that what the series is known for ?

It was what it was known for, now I'm not so sure. It certainly is for many people, but much of the new generation probably associates it more with the Prequels, though even those were more pulpish than much of the current EU.

18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I did, yep.

19. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Based on just what we have seen, they could be even worse than the OJO survivors were 7 years after ROTS. We've seen just a handful of NJO survivors in Legacy. There is a possibility of many more survivors but no real evidence for it; no evidence that most of those that didn't get in time to Ossus to be massacred would have survived - in fact, we have no evidence that any of them would even be alive now that all the Jedi introduced in the series and who were not on Ossus have been killed.

By Palpatine's death there were about a dozen OJO survivors - including the Iron Knights - that hadn't gone to the Dark Side; I would be glad if after Krayt's death there are at least similar amount of NJO survivors shown in Legacy.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

shhhh I still have my The Other HC. and I think Civil War's main moments was when Parker dropped his mask.

* Well, guess what? That still happened but no one recognised him as Peter Parker, heard his name or remembers it! Good eh?

I believe either in the offical site or on wizard. Though it makes sense that Thor would be involved in stopping the invasion since pratically everyone is being involved.

* The more I hear about Secret Invasion the more it sounds like a Marvel Final Crisis. What I suspect is the Skrulls will be a unifying force and all the crap that's happened gets forgotten about, including the amount of dodgy crap Stark's done - which would negate the impact of Civil War. I'm engaging in an experiment on comics from the big two this year - I'm buying only what I'm interested in and not caring about the main continuity, if it ends up being good I'll buy in TPB/HC format, been a bit too burnt by big events over the last year and a half and Messiah Complex isn't helping.

never heard of it, Bucky is ok but I haven't read Brubaker's story for a while. I had a feeling you were a punsher man, too bad about his film though. Here's hoping warzone will be good.

* Danny Rand is Iron Fist, so the title to go to is Immortal Iron Fist, the first TPB is out, you should take a look as it's one of the best titles Marvel has right now. Oh and The Order is just excellent. As for Punisher, I find it's only when Ennis is writing the character.

How you feel about Ultimate Thor ? and Ultimates 3 ?

* Ultimate Thor when written by Millar or Bendis is very smart, Ultimates 3 looks horrendous but that wasn't the reason it got dropped. No the reason is: Ultimate Power leads to Ultimates 3 leads to Ultimate Origins leads to Ultimatum! My interest in the Ultimate line was to get away from stuff like this!

apparently, but he loses fans over it.

* Except, in a cynical calculation, the amount of fans who actually stop buying will probably be small.

right, what JMS did with Peter was he gave us a mature Spider-man. I even hear JMS didn't want to be involved with the comic as far as not putting his name on it. My hope at this point is something of the past comes back to bite Pete and they bring all the JMS events and find a way to put Pete and MJ together, yet provide a old school/new feel to it.

* You have heard about the built-in trapdoor escape that OMD had for the new status quo?

JB

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Master_Starwalker

We don't know that. All we know is that they're not being successful at it. Wolf, Kruhk, and Shado have one plan but we don't know they're the only ones who are doing any good.

Well, I guess I think it would be wise to let the readers know at least approximately how many Jedi are actually still around during the Legacy era.

If not for Luke all the Jedi would either have died of old age or been hunted down by Palpatine except for Kruhk who is long-lived and Ikrit who might still be asleep.

LOL about Ikrit! But probably KK or Ikrit would have restarted the Jedi Order at some point.

Agreed, though apparently it's what Stover is trying to do with Luke Skywalker in the Shadows of Mindor.

We'll see, I guess. I am still somewhat concerned about Stover's preference for writing dark and graphic things. I'm also not really sure that I want to go back into the past again. As I've said, I don't really like "prequels" that much.

Nobody145
    KotOR seems to remember that Star Wars had humor too.

This is true. That's probably one of the reasons I like it.

but even Alltson can only add so much humor to things once things go really bad, post-Sacrifice.

Right. LotF is just too dark, gloomy, and depressing and there's not much humor you can add to that kind of story. It doesn't work well.

The Star Wars prequels... well, not sure if you could call them good prequels (or good movies for tha matter),

I don't call them good movies OR good prequels. ;)

And also, the less said about Spiderman's ridiculous retcon, the better.

It's bad, all right. As I've said, I just hope they retcon the retcon.

Its kind of sad how little post-RotJ literature there is at the moment, especially concerning the Big Three.

MS and I certainly feel that way.

Rebellion is ok, but... I honestly don't care about reading comics where Luke's still at his most naive farmboy-ness with little to no Jedi tricks.

Yes, it's set too early in the timeline. Maybe they should do one post VotF.

I think Luke's main legacy is an improved Jedi Order over the old post-Ruusan one.

I might have said that was true before Del Rey started infusing all the prequel Jedi nonsense into the New Order. I think Luke was well on the right track until the prequels showed up and authors suddenly decided "Oh, that's how it should be done!" They were wrong! That's NOT how it should be done! We saw the Jedi in the prequels just as they were about to be wiped out. They were too complacent; too arrogant; and they were wrong about the "no attachment rule" and about taking infants from the families and never allowing them to see one another again. I'm glad that at least the last two things haven't been pushed into the New Jedi Order, but I fear they may be heading that way.

The Jedi are scattered, but it doesn't seem like they're anywhere near as bad as during post Order 66.

Well, the early blurbs seemed to say that they were, that there were just a handful left. But that didn't seem to go over well with readers, so I think they've changed that. They haven't told us HOW many survived though.

Not to mention that most of the Jedi in Legacy are generally likable characters.

PErsonally, I only like Kol, Wolf, and Hosk.

Its a dark time, but not as dark as other eras,

I guess I disagree about that. I think it's darker than ANY of the other eras. We have 10,000 Sith ruling the galaxy. We have just a few Jedi trying to do something positive. We have the GA just a small remnant. I would say the galaxy is a huge mess, and I don't like that at all. It means that everything Luke, Han, and Leia did or tried to do failed. They were unsuccessful. The galaxy is in far worse shape after all of their struggles than it was before those struggles, and that REALLY bugs me!

And yeah, Luke's Force ghost appearances are some of the best parts of the Legacy comic. He's been on about... four, ma

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Except I doubt sales will drop so drastically, comic fans are, in a way, too forgiving of the material thus will keep on buying it.

Now onto something I wondered the other day:

There are places in the galaxy where the dark side is strong: Lake Nath on Ambria, the tree and cave on Dagobah, Ziost, Dxun, Byss, Koriban yet what of places where the light side is strong? If it can be so for one side of the Force then it should perhaps be so for the other?

JB

23. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    As Dark Side is an aberration, one would think that light side would tend to be more evenly distributed. The only thing I can think of are those Force nexuses not tainted by the Dark Side, like the one under the Jedi Temple on Coruscant before Lord Nyax's death tainted it.

24. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I don't think the Jedi will defeat the Sith anymore than they defeated the armies of Palpatine's Empire. Some Jedi will be very important in few select events which decide the war - similar to Luke in ROTJ - and otherwise the war will be fought by others. That's how I expect things to go.

Like I wrote, I don't think that there will be more than a handful of Jedi in Legacy; no Jedi armies, no hidden fortress worlds. But not to be totally gloomy, I wouldn't be surprised either if post-Legacy stuff would give such things to us and retcon the Jedi Order's fate
    and role during the war to be better and bigger than it currently looks to be.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999

Pity, still this may help you get a picture, you know how B5 portrays Sheridan: Friend, leader, commander, general, religiois icon and does so well? Sisko is the same: Commander, friend, religious icon, father, fighter. Like Sheridan, Sisko is protective of those he sees as his people and will, if the stakes merit it, resort to harsh measures. In essence: Sisko is a damn cool character who you'd probably like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.