main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    ChildOfWinds

Well, I guess I think it would be wise to let the readers know at least approximately how many Jedi are actually still around during the Legacy era.

We know that around half of the Order is. There's no reason to assume more than the few we've seen killed post-Ossus are dead.

LOL about Ikrit! But probably KK or Ikrit would have restarted the Jedi Order at some point.

I'm not so sure they could have done it.

We'll see, I guess. I am still somewhat concerned about Stover's preference for writing dark and graphic things. I'm also not really sure that I want to go back into the past again. As I've said, I don't really like "prequels" that much.

Oh, I think it may be fairly dark and graphic, but knowing Stover he'll probably have Luke rise above that given that he also seems to like having his heroes do the right thing in the end(Obi-Wan "The ultimate Jedi" Kenobi and Mace for example.)

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Jedi_Ben:
    * Cause Joe Q doesn't like the marriage? It's one of those moves that becomes worse the more you read of it.
    Yeah, it's quite possibly one of the dumber moves I've heard about. Just... no.

I like the Trek vs Caedus sequences, especially the Sisko one, however, I can posit an alternative:

"Sir a ship has appeared out of nowhere!"
    "And?"
    "It's blasted 3 turbolasers and 4 tractor beams, plus 5 ion cannons are out!"
    "What? No hail or talking before firing?"
    "No, sir, it just appeared and starting firing!"
    "Well, fire back, cretin!"
    "Can't, the ship's too small and fast, its guns are too powerful, it's...Sir, it's systematically destroying every turret and turbolasrer we have!"
    "Despatch fighters!"
    "Reports in of launching bays on fire due to some sort of torpedo."

then

"Attention Jem'Hadar Battlecruiser, surrender or be destroyed."
    "Who are you?"
    "Benjamin Sisko, Captain of the USS Defiant. Now, surrender!"
    "No, never, I'm a Dark Lord of the Sith! You can't beat me!"
    Cadeus rants on and on and on until quantum torpedoes blow up the bridge.

Okay, that kicked some serious butt. Thing is, Sisko is a hands-on butt-kicker. He wou;dn't feel satisfied unless he was pummeling JINO's face in. He's like that. :)

There are places in the galaxy where the dark side is strong: Lake Nath on Ambria, the tree and cave on Dagobah, Ziost, Dxun, Byss, Koriban yet what of places where the light side is strong? If it can be so for one side of the Force then it should perhaps be so for the other?
    Aplace like that feels... natural nothing wrong to it. It's the majority of the galaxy, basically.

MasterSkywalker86:
    ok u got me there, but some of the other stories did fall in the weird category even for a GFFA.
    Weird is good. ;)

what Spidey stuff do you have ?
    Ah... Kraven's Last Hunt, some other stuff... man, I'd better dig it out and look, lol.

yay another webhead.
    Watch out! Here comes the Spidermaaaannnnn!

ChildOfWinds:
    LOL about Ikrit! But probably KK or Ikrit would have restarted the Jedi Order at some point.
    Seriously, I wanna write a fic where Ikrit sits down with Luke after waking up and they talk. And Ikrit realizes... 'Holy krif, it's been a while!' And he gets drunk on a thimble-full of Whyren's. :)

Right. LotF is just too dark, gloomy, and depressing and there's not much humor you can add to that kind of story. It doesn't work well.
    yeah, awkward wouldn't begin to describe it.

You might be right about Palpatine and Vader, but I know that *I'm* not at all interested in Fett. I could care less!
    *Shrugs* All I can say, Windy. It makes sense for Fett to be in there.

Yes, I think that's what they switched. And I don't think I'm going to be interested in SW Unleashed either.
    Neither will I. The plot makes about as much sense as the Vong winning like thay did.

I never watched Deep Space Nine, so I don't know Ben Sisko, but I enjoyed your little piece anyway. Thanks for sharing!
    Ben Sisko is station administrator and captain of Deep Space Nine. He's like Sheridan, only cooler. ;) And he's half-Prophet, which are alien beings that live inside a wormhole and are one of those energy beings in ST that seem to be everywhere.

But I wouldn't want Luke's "cool, unleashed moment" to end with HIS becoming One with the Force!
    Hmm, I wanted his last moments to be him at the Academy, Ben by his side as he breathed his last, surrounded by his and Mara's other children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren...

The plot bunnies are biting...

Which, as you know are neither "new" nor "exciting".
    Or even well thought out or executed...

Okay...

Kathyrn Janeway takes out JINO!

*The bridge-yet again-of the Anakin Solo. JINO is rushing Captain Janeway, lightsaber drawn.

JINO. "No waiting around this time! I'll-" *He stops as his lightsaber-and his body-pass through Janeway and he crashes into a computer console*

Janeway. "

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd just like to pipe in and suggest a new television series for people on Monday nights. Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, which sounds like an absolutely abyssmal idea for a television series.

1. The Terminator movies are R-rated and very violent.

2. The plot of "monster after John Conner" only made it past 2 movies thanks to the simple fact that Terminator-2 had the greatest special effects of all time, Linda Hamilton is my wife despite her not knowing it, and Edward Furlong is the only child character in history not to be annoying (but awesome) in a sci-fi franchise.

3. Terminator 3 more or less killed the franchise even if it took it to its inevitable end.

4. Continuity must be a nightmare.

Well, I didn't expect much from this series due to these factors. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the series as its completely not what I expected. Fundamentally, they chose to emphasize the relationship of John Conner with Sarah Conner rather than focus on the "running from unstoppable killer Cyborgs."

This is actually rather brilliant as we get to see the effects of lifestyle rather than have it only hinted at. Sarah Conner is a woman that's desperate to protect her son from a threat that she can't ever really be safe from. No one believes her that robots are after her child and Skynet can send a new killer at any time to execute him.

Sarah Conner is paranoid, tough as nails, and as capable as her Linda Hamilton counterpart. But there's a very large emphasis on the love she feels for her son. It's a beautifully acted relationship and very powerful on the screen.

I also like the character of Cameron, played by Firefly's Summer Glau. Summer Glau is quite possibly the least threatening looking girl on the planet. Yet, she's already played a super-assassin (albeit a mad one) on Firefly and now she's playing a Terminator. The cutest Terminator in history. There's a lot of fun physical comedy like when the Terminator (the "Good") robot needs to be tossed out the window when she's temporarilly deactivated and they're fleeing.

The character of John is, unfortunately, saddled with being the straight man in the series. He has to be the normal kid whose expected to become King Arthur. He's no Edward Furlong, who conveyed that "yes, at some point this child could be the ultimate warrior" but he doesn't have to be for his role.

Nevertheless, the series is working despite it's two episodes being all that's "in the can."

I heartilly recommend it.

4. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    My own contribution: the Doctor (from Doctor Who) verses Darth Caedus.

Jacen is stood on the bridge of the Anakin Solo watching as his fleets advance upon the Jedi forces. The Jedi forces seem hopelessly outnumbered. His deputy enters.

Deputy: Sir, we have a stowaway.

Of course, it's the Doctor.

Caedus: How did you get on here?

Doctor: I don't even know where 'here' is. Who are you, and who are the people you're shooting at?

Caedus: You don't know who I am? I'm Darth Caedus. Those out there are traitors to the Galactic Alliance.

Doctor: Galactic Alliance, Galactic Alliance, just let me check my diary... Ah, yes! Shortlived government in a galaxy far far away, went looney under a Sith wannabe, got trounced, about all there is to note for a few decades... Oh wait, you said you were 'Darth'? You must be the Sith wannabe! Pleased to meet you, I'm the Doctor!

Caedus: I am no 'wannabe'. I am the grandson of Darth Vader...

Doctor: Vader, now there was a Sith. And Palpatine, oh, he was terrible. Do you know, the last time I was in this galaxy he was so scared of me he blew up the planet I was on? Let's just say I have no love for the Sith. And if you're Vader's grandson, you must be a Solo or a Skywalker? Solo, I can see the grin. Lovely chap, your father, great taste in whisky. You must be bringing such shame to your parents. Why don't you just grow up? You're no Sith Lord, you're just a child with a lightsaber and a few delusions of grandeur.

Jacen draws his lightsaber, and triggers it. The Doctor sighs and pulls out the sonic screwdriver. Jacen ignores sudden cries of fear from his bridge crew.

Doctor: Oh dear, you *are* in trouble now. Look behind you. The worm's turned, the battle's gone wrong. My guess is that X-wing just outside the bridge is Luke Skywalker. Great man, that Skywalker. One of the greatest I've ever met. Deserved a better apprentice.

Jacen launches an attack with his lightsaber. The Doctor squeezes the sonic screwdriver, and the lightsaber deactivates; Jacen overbalances and falls over. At that moment the bridge explodes; the Doctor slips out, ignoring the explosive decompression, shaking his head.

Doctor: Why do Jedi think lightsabers are invincible? All you need to do is reverse the polarity of the neutron flow...

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben

Except I doubt sales will drop so drastically, comic fans are, in a way, too forgiving of the material thus will keep on buying it.

But if this is SUCH an unpopular change, maybe they won't keep buying until they're promised a retcon of the retcon?

There are places in the galaxy where the dark side is strong: Lake Nath on Ambria, the tree and cave on Dagobah, Ziost, Dxun, Byss, Koriban yet what of places where the light side is strong? If it can be so for one side of the Force then it should perhaps be so for the other?

I would think there SHOULD be, but we haven't been told that they exist. I would think that Ossus and the Jedi Temple on Coruscant should be strong with the Lightside. Also, places with lots of living things, like Endor and Kashyyk would seem logical.

Rouge77

I don't think the Jedi will defeat the Sith anymore than they defeated the armies of Palpatine's Empire.

So do you think they're just going to allow 10,000 Sith Lords to run around the galaxy at will?

Some Jedi will be very important in few select events which decide the war - similar to Luke in ROTJ - and otherwise the war will be fought by others. That's how I expect things to go.

Oh, so you think the GA and Imperial military will take out the Sith?

Like I wrote, I don't think that there will be more than a handful of Jedi in Legacy; no Jedi armies, no hidden fortress worlds. But not to be totally gloomy, I wouldn't be surprised either if post-Legacy stuff would give such things to us and retcon the Jedi Order's fate
    and role during the war to be better and bigger than it currently looks to be.

But then why not use them? What would they be doing all this time when the galaxy is overrun with Sith?

Jedi Ben
    In essence: Sisko is a damn cool character who you'd probably like.

He does sound like a hero I could like.

Master_Starwalker

We know that around half of the Order is. There's no reason to assume more than the few we've seen killed post-Ossus are dead.

We HOPE they're still alive. I just don't understand why they're not doing more if they do exist. And even if we do know that half of the Jedi survived, we still don't know how many they started out with, so we're still in the dark.

But probably KK or Ikrit would have restarted the Jedi Order at some point.

I'm not so sure they could have done it.

Well, KK seems to be taking over just fine now. :(

Oh, I think it may be fairly dark and graphic, but knowing Stover he'll probably have Luke rise above that given that he also seems to like having his heroes do the right thing in the end

I truly hope so. Wasn't this the battle though that made Luke decide he didn't want to be a military commander? So things can't go terribly well.
    :(

RK_Striker_JK_5

Seriously, I wanna write a fic where Ikrit sits down with Luke after waking up and they talk. And Ikrit realizes... 'Holy krif, it's been a while!' And he gets drunk on a thimble-full of Whyren's.

LOL!

*Shrugs* All I can say, Windy. It makes sense for Fett to be in there.

I suppose you're right. And since I'm not planning to watch it anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Neither will I. The plot makes about as much sense as the Vong winning like thay did.

What IS the plot anyway?

And he's half-Prophet, which are alien beings that live inside a wormhole and are one of those energy beings in ST that seem to be everywhere.

So he's an alien?

Hmm, I wanted his last moments to be him at the Academy, Ben by his side as he breathed his last, surrounded by his and Mara's other children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren...

Oh yes! That's MY vision of Luke's death too. It's what Luke deserves after all he's been through. And I do wish Del Rey would have given Luke and Mara more than one child.

Or even well thought out or ex

6. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    How about mine against JINO? Naruto vs JINO...

Darth Caedus blinked as the blond-haired whiskered human crossed his fingers. He was wearing orange pants, orange-black overcoat, and a headband with the leaf symbol on it. "Kage Bushin no Jutsu!" suddenly, there were...200 blonds around him.

"What is this?"

"Your much awaited beatdown, teme!" one of the Naruto clones yelled, cracking his knuckles.

Caedus ignited his lightsaber, stupidly charging into the small army of Naruto's. When it made contact with a blond, a puff of smoke followed that momentarily blinded him. In frustration, the wannabe Dark Lord tried to slash his way, but he couldn't find the real Naruto. Suddenly, he saw himself surrounded.

"Formation one guys!" one Naruto ordered.

Suddenly, four Naruto clones came sliding in, their legs raised to hit Caedus. "U!" one yelled as he impacted. "Zu!" the second one yelled. "Ma!" the next kick sent Caedus flying higher. "Ki!" the last kick propelled the wannabe Dark Lord into the sky, where the real Naruto was. "Naruto Rendan (Uzumaki Naruto Combo)!" And dropped his foot in an axe kick over Caedus's face.

The wannabe Dark Lord landed in a heap, coughed up blood, but still stood up. "Its..." he then looked up to see Naruto with a glowing ball of power in his hand. "RASENGAN!" Naruto roared, plunging the mini-hurricane of chakra into Caedus's chest after he landed.

The wannabe Dark Lord grunted, spit up blood, and was sent spinning into a boulder, and he slammed into it, hard. "H-How...can a kid like you...defeat me..."

"Since I have something to fight for, and I don't need the Dark Side to do it. You're looking at the greatest Hokage of Konoha ever, and someone who'd die rather than go on a dark path, proclaiming stupidly that you were doing for others, when you were really doing this for yourself," Naruto replied, grinning confidently. "You're stupid, even dumber than I was when I was 12! Grow up, accept what you've done and be a man and take the real punishment. You never know, even after all you've done, you might be accepted back..."

Caedus's eyes widened...and then his vision became blurry and he closed them, going unconscious.

7. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I don't think they are going to allow it, they are just believing that they can't do much about it at the moment. Certainly Wolf is the only Jedi currently we knof of who thinks that the Jedi can really do something about the Sith running around.

That would be my guess about what where Legacy is heading - if GA fleet even survives the next arc. GA consist of one fleet at the moment, which will be - if it survives - even smaller after the next arc. It's not really much when you are fighting a galactic war. Then there are the Jedi and there are only handful of them alive for all we know. So basically it has to be mainly the Fel Imps, perhaps with help from deserters among the Moffs still serving Sith and the troops following them, who will do most of the work in the war. It's those few, decisive moments where Jedi will be important: Equivalents of Obi-wan against Grievous, Luke against Death Star I, Luke on Death Star II.

Because they were not in the original plan. I don't think that Ostrander will give us armies of Jedi when his plot for the series apparently calls for just a handful of Jedi, but as his original plot wasn't that well received when it came to the fate of the Jedi - which lead to the retcon about half o the surviving Jedi having been off from Ossus during the massacre in 130 ABY - I expect future work to give us bigger numbers of surviving Jedi post-Legacy. Whether we will get this information from guides or in works of fiction is another thing. And what would have they been doing during Legacy? Perhaps just surviving.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Heh, that Janeway vs. JINO was hilarious. Although given that Voygaer became more the "Seven of Nine Show, guest-starring the Voyager crew" by the end of its lifetime, not quite accurate, but that's just my own biased (very low) opinion of that show. Have you done an Archer vs. JINO one yet?

And going by the movies and various books, Jedi usually didn't do everything, lots of non-Jedi helped to save the galaxy from evil too. At least they did back in the older Bantam books. Now if a Jedi isn't on the bridge of a ship, or at the very least in a starfighter nearby, that fleet isn't going to do anything important. Usually Jedi took out the Sith bad guys while others defeated the fleets, but the new Sith Empire is a bit more integrated (between the Sith and normal ships), but Palpatine had various Force minions flying around in ships, so its not that big of a problem. Even if there are 10,000 Sith, Cade or someone else just needs to keep hacking and slashing until there are only a few. It'll just take a few years. And we've seen normal people kill one of the regular Sith already, that Darth Maleval (or however it was spelled) who was killed by stormtroopers, so they aren't that hard to kill. Its mainly their numbers.

On the Spiderman thing, while there is pretty much near-universal horror and objection to the marriage retcon of Spiderman (not to mention how much havoc it wrecks with the continuity of several other non-Spiderman series), while a lot of people have probably dropped the series, there are probably many more that will still keep with it. BND on its own isn't too horrible of a story (even if it had a pretty mentally scarring image recently), with a decent writer on it. What really irritates me is the huge retcon required to clean the slate for a new writer to start writing stories, and while there are new villains... honestly, it still feels like they just reset the continuity to about 20 years ago, so very boring. Though most of the craziness in Peter's recent life (Civil War and all that) was due to big events more than anything else, as on his own, aside from moving into Avengers Tower, he was still doing ok (aside from lack of a house, but that isn't too big of a problem, compared to being on the run and being hunted down by SHIELD agents and registered heroes). I never even bought a Spiderman comic (not a Marvel fan), but I was still reading the TPBs, but this... its worse than Mara's death, in Star Wars terms.

The fate of the Galactic Alliance Core Fleet is still up for debate. Legacy #0 .5 mentioned that Stazi's been an increasing threat over time, not decreasing, as you'd expect if he gradually kept losing ships during raids on Sith resources. The next arc involves a trap, but Stazi isn't stupid enough to just walk in and spring it unless he has his own plan. And the issue after that does have Krayt pissed about something.

There are more Jedi out there other than just Wolf. Hosk was on the run, and there are probably more Jedi also just hiding out. Wolf wants Cade to become a Jedi because the last Skywalker (that we know of) is just the rallying point needed to pull the Jedi together, implying that there are still sufficient numbers to pose a threat. Well, hopefully.

From what I've seen of the Sarah Connor Chroncicles, it look like it might be good. Depends on where they go from here. Parts of it kinda mess with continuty a little, or are annoying, but its still better than watching T3 (which seriously suffered from the lack of John's mom). And the series' John isn't as useless as the T3 John, so I count that as a good thing, though there's still a lot of teenage angst on his part. Ironically, I usually hate having kids in sci-fi or fantasy movies, as they're almost always annoying (like that kid in the second Indiana Jones movie), but the T2 John was pretty fun to watch, and probably the best version.

And K'Kruhk isn't restarting the Order, he's just managing it. Luke almost literally rebuilt the Jedi Order from scratch. He found lots of old records scattered abo

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sheridan'd simply set off a load of nukes in the area:

"Sir the small ship is fleeing, we can pursue and destroy!"
    "Do it!"

A few minutes later...

"They're trying to lose us in an asteroid field, wait, there's something on the asterioids..."

BOOM TODAY.

10. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005

11. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Stand aside, citizens. This is a job for Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn of the Ordo Xenos! [face_skull]

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Once more:

"Who the hell are you scum? Bow!"
    "Hmm, very good, but you know you're really just Baal-lite."
    "What?"
    "Baal. There's a guy who knows how to do the whole 'I am your God' shtick with charisma, come to think of it, even Anubis pulled it off better than you."
    "Who. Are. You?"
    "Colonel Jack O'Neill. Oh, you know that reactor or two you have? They're about to explode."
    "How?"
    "C4."
    "You expect me to believe your primitive weapons will blow up this entire Star Destroyer?"
    "Reactors? Yes. Entire ship? No, that why we're blowing the reactors up so they can blow up the rest of it."
    "You'll die too."
    "We'll teleport out."
    "Shields are up, you can't."
    "My, someone's been watching Trek - in the real world, that don't matter a damn, meet my little friend..."
    <cue hologram of an Asgard>
    "What can that pathetic thing do?"
    "Ah but Asgard are smart and they can beam through shields, now let's see, your guys git us 10 minutes ago, we've been gassing for the last 5 minutes so....Time to go, see ya."
    A taller, dark alien mutters: "Indeed."
    They ring out much to Cadeus' irritation, just as the Star Destroyer's reactor's explode.

Oh and this one's for Striker to take and really run with: Captain Klag and the IKS Gorkon...

13. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    MS

I'd imagine that Mindor would be closest to RotS of all the novels he's written so I'm not too worried.

yeah I'm hoping that especially when they have some Luke action.

It was what it was known for, now I'm not so sure. It certainly is for many people, but much of the new generation probably associates it more with the Prequels, though even those were more pulpish than much of the current EU.

perhaps, perhaps not. I think the OT is far well known than the prequels even with the new generation. Family Guy being proof of this.

JB

* Well, guess what? That still happened but no one recognised him as Peter Parker, heard his name or remembers it! Good eh?

another way to undermine a classic event.

* The more I hear about Secret Invasion the more it sounds like a Marvel Final Crisis. What I suspect is the Skrulls will be a unifying force and all the crap that's happened gets forgotten about, including the amount of dodgy crap Stark's done - which would negate the impact of Civil War. I'm engaging in an experiment on comics from the big two this year - I'm buying only what I'm interested in and not caring about the main continuity, if it ends up being good I'll buy in TPB/HC format, been a bit too burnt by big events over the last year and a half and Messiah Complex isn't helping.

I wouldn't be to fast to judge, since Bendis has this idea with the first issue of NA and there is a lot of back story with the skrulls coming to earth in the first place. Honestly I will do as i did with other comics read reviews now and wait for the TPB.

watcha like about Thor's return ?

* Danny Rand is Iron Fist, so the title to go to is Immortal Iron Fist, the first TPB is out, you should take a look as it's one of the best titles Marvel has right now. Oh and The Order is just excellent. As for Punisher, I find it's only when Ennis is writing the character.

isn't there 2 Iron Fists ?

* Ultimate Thor when written by Millar or Bendis is very smart, Ultimates 3 looks horrendous but that wasn't the reason it got dropped. No the reason is: Ultimate Power leads to Ultimates 3 leads to Ultimate Origins leads to Ultimatum! My interest in the Ultimate line was to get away from stuff like this!

I agree with this, I like the character though I hate how he's a deluded version of the 616 version. Like if he loses his belt he's basically powerless. Dunno about his status quo now, with a different belt and a traditional mjnolir. i wish he had his own series, since I could care less of the "civil" Ultimates.

* Except, in a cynical calculation, the amount of fans who actually stop buying will probably be small.

I dunno I think JMS did gain a few fans with his take on spider-man. MJ n Pete's relationship seem more plausible.

* You have heard about the built-in trapdoor escape that OMD had for the new status quo?

um if the fans dont like it it's all a dream ?

Child

But I wouldn't want Luke's "cool, unleashed moment" to end with HIS becoming One with the Force!

I agree, I just wish we could have his unleashed moments in comics.

duh ;)

But it was CLOSE!

a victory is a victory.

We should request it! They can only say, "No!"

right.

Actually, it's been VERY quiet! It's rather baffling to tell you the truth. Maybe negotiations aren't going well?

perhaps the negotiations were short. ;)

And you didn't think the NJO, DN, and LotF were "weird"? I think those are FAR worse than anything we got with Bantam except for Crystal Star.

i'm not vouching for DR that's a losing battle, but I won't agree that they didn't have some bad moments.

I really agree with you, MS! And instead of having TWO series that take place during or right after the Prequel series, why couldn't ONE of them have been about Luke and his new Jedi Knights? There could have been many adventures. And they cou

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

another way to undermine a classic event.

Yup.

I wouldn't be to fast to judge, since Bendis has this idea with the first issue of NA and there is a lot of back story with the skrulls coming to earth in the first place.

* Yes, I know of it but after 3.5 years my patience is wearing thin.

Honestly I will do as i did with other comics read reviews now and wait for the TPB.

* I'm inclined to opt for trade-waiting now and buying nice hardback, super-size collections.

watcha like about Thor's return ?

* I like the way it as done, a good balancing of man and god, there's a good amount of characterisation and action is carefully used.

isn't there 2 Iron Fists ?

* Err, you really want me to answer that if you're going to read the series?

I agree with this, I like the character though I hate how he's a deluded version of the 616 version. Like if he loses his belt he's basically powerless. Dunno about his status quo now, with a different belt and a traditional mjnolir. i wish he had his own series, since I could care less of the "civil" Ultimates.

* Hmm, you have read the whole of Ultimates 2, haven't you?

I dunno I think JMS did gain a few fans with his take on spider-man. MJ n Pete's relationship seem more plausible.

* Yes, but the level of despite for a comic has to be very high for lots of fans to drop it, few comic fans are prepared to be ruthless to titles - I'm getting more demanding as I'm getting older.

um if the fans dont like it it's all a dream ?

* Something like that. ;)

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    JB

* Yes, I know of it but after 3.5 years my patience is wearing thin.

Well the payoff will come, this is Bendis he doesn't fail mostly... ;)

* I'm inclined to opt for trade-waiting now and buying nice hardback, super-size collections.

hardback is nice, but i'm good with PB. I been waiting for this Thor 1st arc to be done already.

* I like the way it as done, a good balancing of man and god, there's a good amount of characterisation and action is carefully used.

action is great, I want to read the Thor disassembled arc as well.

* Err, you really want me to answer that if you're going to read the series?

spoiling me for story is usually one of my review methods ;) so go ahead.

* Hmm, you have read the whole of Ultimates 2, haven't you?

yup, any ideas on Thor's new look of ultimates 3?

* Yes, but the level of despite for a comic has to be very high for lots of fans to drop it, few comic fans are prepared to be ruthless to titles - I'm getting more demanding as I'm getting older.

I think OMD has gone way beyond that mark ;) I also agree with the demand of good storytelling as ppl age. Why do you think I'm sticking with Legacy, SOTE, and SQ from my big EU library ? ;) i threw out the rest.

* Something like that

it cant be that exact

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    MasterSkywalker86

Isn't there 2 Iron Fists ?

No. Danny Rand, Iron Fist's predecessor, showed up but he's dead.

It somehow works since they have their own self explanations due to time travel and halting the progession of judgement day. though i dunno how to explain the different looks for John, edward furlong to nick stal ???? well at least they have a transistion stage with the Sarah Chronicles John actor. but how do you explain Christian Bale as John Connor ?

I think there's no reason to actually comment on actor changes. Frankly, I'm probably not going to see Terminator 4 even if it has Christian Bale since I honestly have no further desire to explore from the Terminator 3 timeline. Sarah Conner Chronicles, however acknowledges Terminator 3 and effectively retcons it out of existence.

I'll think I'll follow it for the "official Terminator."

Honestly, I ENJOYED Terminator 3 but it felt too far removed from the first two movies.

I like how she's a unknown model even to the t-800 series, which leaves some mystery. she has some human like attributes yet still machine. I like the Cameron name as ode to the Director of the movies James Cameron.

Me too.

what do you mean ?

It seems good even though we have only two episodes to go on.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think there's no reason to actually comment on actor changes. Frankly, I'm probably not going to see Terminator 4 even if it has Christian Bale since I honestly have no further desire to explore from the Terminator 3 timeline. Sarah Conner Chronicles, however acknowledges Terminator 3 and effectively retcons it out of existence.

I dunno the war has been only hinted/hype about with all the films, I would like to see how it plays out and to see what John is made of, he's suppose be this great leader. As for T3 being retcon keep dreaming, in the interview about the tv series they are going to relate from events from T2 as well setting it up for T3. so unless this is new news about the Terminator series effectively retconning it from the franchise, I really doubt it will happen.

I'll think I'll follow it for the "official Terminator."

wouldn't the movies be the offical canon ?

Honestly, I ENJOYED Terminator 3 but it felt too far removed from the first two movies.

it did but I guess it was the director's take. I mean the Alien franchise was only made that popular because of Cameron. too bad he didn't do AVP could have saved 2 franchises.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000

I dunno the war has been only hinted/hype about with all the films, I would like to see how it plays out and to see what John is made of, he's suppose be this great leader. As for T3 being retcon keep dreaming, in the interview about the tv series they are going to relate from events from T2 as well setting it up for T3. so unless this is new news about the Terminator series effectively retconning it from the franchise, I really doubt it will happen.

Here's an interview.

wouldn't the movies be the offical canon ?

James Cameron is the arbitrator of official canon as far as I'm concerned. He insisted that Terminator 3 didn't fit his artistic vision for the series and wasn't involved in it.

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Hmmmmm interesting still sarah has been hinted of dying of cancer. so i still see some relations, but it just seems to me they're making up for lack of linda hamilton in T3.

and whadda u mean that Cameron like's messing with continuity ;)

with all this terminator talk have you seen robocop vs terminator on youtube ? it's actually crafted rather well.

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    James Cameron, who created the Terminator franchise but otherwise played no role in T3, told the BBC he thought the film was "in one word: great

seems like cameron approved T-3, as for the events of T3 The tv series says it takes place as a alternative timeline, which is odd. if t4 is following the events of T3 wouldnt T3 be canon ?

21. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I like the Sarah Connor Chronicles for the most part so far. The first episode essentially played like a mini-Terminator movie but the second episode is what really shows the series' potential. The first episode was just a lot of stuff blowing up, but the second episode injects a lot of suspense, characterization, and layered plotting that a TV series really needs. I think the 1st episode was set up the way it was just to blow the TV execs away so they'd sign up on it.

As for the EU Book list, I think it's pretty decent. I have a few complaints (YJK deserved top 50, Shatterpoint, while Top 20, didn't deserve top 10, the Dark Nest should've been lower, and the Force Heretic trilogy needed a lot more love) but overall I think it's a decent list. KOTOR is up where it should be, Traitor, the most personal, emotional NJO book, and Star By Star, the ESB of the series, are pretty high up where they should be too. And Thrawn Trilogy . . . is just awesome.

I know a lot of people here are mystified and infuriated by the high positioning of the NJO books. I think those books deserved their positioning. Many of those books packed sudden plot twists that surprised me, many of them had well-done space battles, and several of them packed in amazing emotional scenes and good character development, and, for the most part, had the characters act naturally.

Do you really think Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin would just act like optimistic, perky space cadets during a brutal war like that? Be perfect, role-model teenagers when in actuality teens don't really act that way? How could Luke act any more aggressive when his hands are practically tied by external forces? Do you think the series would have been better if the Vong were just annihilated from the get-go, and that nobody had to die?

Of course you all do. None of you want to see change. You all just want things to go back the way they were.

Frankly, it pisses me off, because all of you want to render an entire era of Star Wars, an era a LOT of people enjoyed, completely worthless.

The only way I'd accept that is if Lucas made a third trilogy. Nothing else.

I'm sorry for my blunt language. But I am not happy whenever I read that the books should be retconned out of existence, because they don't deserve that. They mean as much to me as the YJK means to Jon, lets leave it at that.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Frankly, it pisses me off, because all of you want to render an entire era of Star Wars, an era a LOT of people enjoyed, completely worthless.

i kinda find it funny that your pissed off when you get what you want, while the rest of are not getting what we want. I'm happy for u that you're enjoying the stories DR is producing and all but I just dont agree with the direction the the books are going and I had very high hopes for LOTF. I bought 6 books and decided what's the point. I used like to see Luke do anything in a book, rather than care for plot or character portrayals. right now I'll stick with Legacy and SW comics.

The only way I'd accept that is if Lucas made a third trilogy. Nothing else.

that's option B. ;)

I'm sorry for my blunt language. But I am not happy whenever I read that the books should be retconned out of existence, because they don't deserve that. They mean as much to me as the YJK means to Jon, lets leave it at that.

I'm sorry if it bothers you that we don't like LOTF or most of the books with DR(in my case I hate most of Bantam books as well), but we're being honest.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Cameron also said "The story ended in T2."

and what's your obsession with the movies being canon? So they're movies, so what? T3 didn't have Linda Hamilton or Cameron. It's like Highlander 2. The *REAL* Highlander sequels (if such can be called since the Prize was won in the first movie) were the series.

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    and what's your obsession with the movies being canon? So they're movies, so what? T3 didn't have Linda Hamilton or Cameron. It's like Highlander 2. The *REAL* Highlander sequels (if such can be called since the Prize was won in the first movie) were the series.

I'm not accustomed to movies retconning sequels in order to make tv shows work, but w/e if that's what they're doing then so be it. I'm just confused by the whole matter and how it works for the next sequel ? why you being so defensive about the matter ?

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Sorry, just got done with another argument with someone :blush:

But yes, I think it's two separate universes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.