main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 3.0

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ulicus , Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    If you're not familiar with SOS, it's a great community (formerly in Lit) dedicated to seeing the authors write Luke Skywalker correctly and with the proper respect. Occasionally other topics are discussed but, at its heart, it's all Luke, Luke, Luke! :)

SoS Version 1.0
    SoS Version 2.0

Here's what Jedi Ben had to say at the start of 2.0.

Nearly everything still applies.

Enjoy. :)

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    YAY!!!!

Finally the EUC gets a Luke thread! Welcome! We're so excited to have you. The EUC has been asking for a Luke thread recently, so this is perfect that you guys are coming to us.

Also, our spoiler policy is LOADS better than Lit. :)

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm not usually one to afflicted by the aliment of fanboyism, but I've gotta admit, I love me some Luke.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I want the SOS thread BACK IN LITERATURE where it belongs! :(

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Here's to seeing a well-written Luke in Shadows of Mindor.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I've got faith in Stover. He should be really skilled at handling the dark and bloody battle of Mindor with Luke being so horrified at what's been done that he resigns his commission. I'm just hoping they don't have Luke take part in the atrocities.

7. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Really looking forward to Mindor myself.

It's so funny that Stover's reached such a level of acclaim in fandom without ever actually writing any of the OT Big 3, but I have faith that the book will live up to his reputation. Or at least, I'm hoping really hard. :D

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ditto. Most of Stover's books have been awesome. Didn't care much for Traitor, but that had to do more with who were the stars of that book than anything else.

Here's hoping this thread reaches 10,000 posts too. I don't really care what forum its in, as long as it continues. For the glory of Luke Skywalker! Not that the awesome character of Luke Skywalker needs help, but it gives us something to do in the long stretch between comics and novels.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So the long lost sibling comes home. When all the other fan threads moved over in 2001, SoS was accidentally left behind. But now the move is finally complete. :)

10. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Actually it wasn't accidentally left behind. We created SOS because they forced us to create the NJO critics club in EUC. As one of the original members of SOS, it was created to stay in lit so we could keep a more visible thread there to discuss Luke in the books and how he was being written. Sos was never supposed to be here. I don't agree with this move.

11. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    But what about all the other characters who've been written badly? They don't get threads in Lit. :confused:

12. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I almost panicked when I saw that the SOS thread had been closed in Lit. Considering some of the threads that are in Lit I'm not sure allowing the SOS thread to stay there would have been that big of a deal. But I'm just glad to see SOS still going strong.

13. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I'm so confused :confused:

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    darn I was hoping I would get the first post in from SOS version 2.

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

a headsup from version 2.0, here are last posts.

Jedi Ben

Date Posted: 1/22 11:05am Subject: RE: SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0
    MS86,

well as you said before wait for the TPB, also don't get any tie ins unless it involves someone you care for. besides the TPB won't be out until issues 1-8 are released and Marvel has been known for delays. expect it next year.

* True, but the artist is Yu who has a rep for being on time. In any case, my dissatisfaction with Marvel's grand plan is akin to my view of DC's Crisis epic - I don't care about it any more, it's gone on too long without a good conlusion or mini-conclusions along the way. An example of how to do an epic storyline? Cap and Iron Fist.

yeah I know issue 6 is pushed back to Febuary, well I hope it arrives late this spring. at least the new marvel select figure will be out by march.

* There's that.

how does this work for the NA ? does Luke know about this ? why did this Rand perish ?

* It wasn't a Rand, it was a man named Orson Randell who knew Wendall Rand. One thing: The storyline in Immortal Ion Fist is concluding in issue 14, which makes its first story a glorious 16-part epic! And it is indeed epic! Get the TPB if you're interested but be aware it's only the first 6 parts.

whoa there buddy, after Ultimates 2 it's proven that this Thor is also the real deal. My point is why does his powers come from his belt and not from him ?

* I see it as likely Odin blocked Thor's powers, gods are known to be unpredictable bastards at times.

like the 616 version. now with the new belt and traditional hammer, what's your theory ?

* I'm not following Ultimates 3 I'm afraid, so can't comment.

hence you liking the rogue squadron games.

* Well that and the opportunity to: Blow the Death Star, deck a Star Destroyer, do the Endor forest speeder bike run, destroy the Executor, fight the Battle of Endor - but that level is insanely hard.

ah ha, but isn't she asking mephisto to make Peter's life more enjoyable ?

* Well, as Nobody said, it could be just about anything but it's certainly a get-out-of-jail-free card.

* Oh and Marvel's cancelled The Order with issue 10, one of the best titles it had which really smarts.

JB

-----signature-----
    "This is Captain John Sheridan. We are here on the
    authority of a multi-planetary force that can
    no longer stand by and watch one of their
    greatest allies falling into darkness and despair."

Trip

Date Posted: 1/22 11:35am Subject: RE: SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0
    Ulicus posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needs more VampireMullet.

-----signature-----
    AS THE LORD BEING OF THE SWIRBLIES, I DO SAY YOU ARE LUCKY

Locked Topic | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History

ChildOfWinds

Date Posted: 1/22 12:49pm Subject: RE: SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 2.0
    Hmmm.... I see we're getting very close to that magical 10,000th post point! I hope I get the 9,999th post. I always like the ones where the numbers in each digit are the same. They look pretty cool!

RK_Striker_JK_5
    I expected growth, not regressing two of them and killing the only one to get decent character development.

Yes, was it asking too much to DEVELOP them???

What I hate worse is that there isn't really any successor to the Big Three yet either. Or rather, there isn't anymore viable successor.
    Yeah... they kinda shot themselves in the foot there...

Oh, yes!!!! And it could have been SO different! And we could have had the older and the younger generations working side by side and helping one another. The development of the relationships would have been great, and we would have gotten to know and respect the younger characters while seeing them interact with the older ones.

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    you know after reading what the original maker of SOS, Skydancer, intended for the the thread. I wonder how many books since NJO have we seen Luke and Co with better portrayals ?

the ones that I can think of is TUF, SQ, Betrayal, and possibly Inferno.

17. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    All the threads in the EUC discuss whats in the books to their respected characters as well. So this thread really does belong here.

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Books and comics are still primarily discussed in the threads here. The attitude is slightly different though in most of the threads (As opposed to Lit), primarily because we're all fans of the threads we post in, like you guys are all fans of Luke.

The EUC is welcoming you with open arms, and perhaps you'll get some more posters now from those that are afraid to enter or post in Lit.

I urge you to at least give it a try.

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well I'm going to give it a shot besides the the thread still has that "new thread" smell to it. despite the books not going the way I want them, I still like SW. I'm looking foreward to Legacy but demand more Big 3 in comics.

also boo Giants.....

20. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Let's be frank: The conversation in EUC is pretty shallow and it's very rarely about specific books or comics, just rather vague talk about characters and people telling each other how they are doing. The average post in EUC is very short. It's hard to find posts here that would go to the same depth as pretty usual postings in SOS go.

The conversation in SOS has been influenced by what has been going on in other threads in Lit and SOS thread in another forum will not be the same. Lit was a natural environment to SOS.

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    we do usually have very long ones. especially with Dart's.

22. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    I honestly have no opinion one way or another when it comes to Stover because I haven't read a single book he's written (Star Wars or otherwise). But the fact that Mindor takes place pre NJO/LotF means that I won't be as quick to write it off as I would for a book that takes place during or after the NJO.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    i enjoyed Stover's adaptation of ROTS, it was much better than the movie. giving you more details and scenes where the movie decides to cut. it was really epic.

downside is Traitor was also made by him.

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    R77:
    Let's be frank: Perhaps conversation you've participated in here in the EUC have been shallow, but that's not the case for all threads here. Look at the last several pages of the Templars of Twilight. Those guys put y'all to shame with how much they write in a single post. (Also they're not responding in the quote form you use, if they did they'd be longer).

If you took away all the space in the form you use, your responses would be very similar.

Shallow discussion takes place in the threads that have been created and changed to RP purposes. Then those discussions sort of revolve around those. That's not the case for all threads and its not the case at all times. When new material comes up it is discussed and highly analyzed because those are our favorite characters!

The conversation in SOS has been influenced by what has been going on in other threads in Lit and SOS thread in another forum will not be the same. Lit was a natural environment to SOS.

So you're saying that these are conversations that could happen in other threads in Lit? Well then you just proved the Lit mods right.

25. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Most of the conversations couldn't have happened in other threads in Lit. They wouldn't have been allowed. There has been tendency in Lit in recent times to limit the conversations in threads to just what is mentioned to be the subject of the thread. Trying to widen the conversation is not encouraged.

Just during this month, I have been banned twice by not posting strictly about the subject of the thread. And I was just answering to what others posted. SOS was one of the last threads in Lit that allowed the kind of rambling, wide-ranging conversation that many posters enjoy. In SOS people could deal with half a dozen subjects in a single post, without having to stay in topic. Outside SOS, you would need half a dozen different threads to be able to post about those subjects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.