SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 3.0

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ulicus, Jan 22, 2008.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    How lovely. [face_plain]:rolleyes:
  2. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    well i am just saying what most people are thinking
  3. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm not thinking it, probably not Windy or Ben either.
  4. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Not me, either. Not that that matters, given how infrequently I post in the EUC SOS thread, but still. :p
  5. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    well cmon dew, you are always so full of passion and new ideas, bring us something to chew on
  6. ChildOfWinds Force Ghost

star 5
    Jedi Ben : * The sensory element is another thing I fear may be too much with 3D too, I've noticed with games I can't play like I used to and part of that is due to a far greater level of graphic and audio intensity.

I can understand that. I just know that I really don't like it all that much. I find it annoying to have things popping out at me all the time.

* A week and a half to go, though once Aflame's done I'll likely be TPB waiting as I need to reduce my comic buying.

Fortunately, that's not a problem for me. The Knight Errant comics and the Invasion comics are probably the only ones I'll be buying, and who knows when either one of them might come back again in another arc? ...If they return at all, that is. I don't trust Dark Horse anymore. They seem to stop their series before they're played out. I still miss KotOR....

* You like his Lost Tribe stories? Wow, that's quite a surprising achievement - quite the tstimony! I haven't yet checked those out.

Yes, I've been reading them. I have found them to be quite fascinating.

JediMatteus : sorry i just think this thread has become worthless. and thats sad.

Some history: This thread was actually started three years ago when the SOS thread was thrown out of Lit with absolutely NO warning whatsoever when we hit the 10,000th post. We were told we couldn't remain in Lit because the SOS thread had become a "social thread" and was off-topic too often, and had to be in Community instead.

After many of us wrote e-mails to unbiased Mods protesting this treatment and requesting that we be allowed to return to Lit, our appeal was approved, and we were permitted to restart version three of the SOS thread in Lit, but this Community thread was left open for more "social" posts and for off-topic discussion.

Since most of our discussions in Lit have been about Luke and have only gone off on tangents infrequently and for just a few posts at a time, we haven't had to come here to SOS Community all that often. However, I like that it's still here for us when we need or want to use it.

If you have a topic that you'd like to discuss, please feel free to start one, JM. It can be about Luke or about other aspects of SW if you want. I'd be happy to participate in your discussion as time permits. So post away! Get the SOS Community thread thriving again! SOS Lit too! :)

7. Lord_Riven Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow...things have changed a lot since I last posted.
  8. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Hmm, so you want me to post, eh? I'll think of something.

Anyone agree with me that the cover to Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is the greatest Star Wars novel cover EVER? Anyone? Discussed this, but never got polled everyone's opinions before. :p
  9. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I disagree. ;) Sorry, but for me it's Lightsabers. First full head shot of Tenel Ka! :D
  10. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    Lightsabers is also awesome for its unintentional foreshadowing (Jacen cutting off Tenel Ka's arm, Jacen later betraying all the Jedi). I'm assuming it's unintentional, since KJA was fired before Denning signed on.
  11. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    More's the pity. KJA is far superior.
  12. ChildOfWinds Force Ghost

star 5
    Lord_Riven : Wow...things have changed a lot since I last posted.

Hi, LR! How so???

dewback_rancher : Anyone agree with me that the cover to Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor is the greatest Star Wars novel cover EVER?

It's a GREAT one, all right! It just screams : Action! Adventure! Heroic Exploits! It certainly depicts Luke accurately, as he has always been at the heart of the action. I definitely think that it's eye-catching for someone who is browsing a book store. Of course, the fact that it has Luke on the cover is always a big PLUS! ;)

One of my other favorite covers is the Truce at Bakura cover. There are some pretty nifty Japanese covers as well.

DarthIktomi : I'm assuming it's unintentional, since KJA was fired before Denning signed on.

KJA may not have been a perfect author, but I definitely feel that he wrote Luke better than Denning did. I also feel that KJA showed the established characters more respect. Denning doesn't seem to mind throwing a character or two under the bus to serve his plots. He also seems to tend toward the dark and depressing and pessimistic. I really think he has damaged the SW universe and characters a lot.

13. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    it's a very good cover, but how do you beat, Star By Star
  14. ancslove Jedi Knight

star 1
    I love the Truce at Bakura cover! Well, Leia's eyelashes are a little scary, but Luke and Han look great! I also like the covers of Darksaber, The New Rebellion, and Vision of the Future. Even if Mara's outfit on the last kind of looks like a female version of Robin Hood.
  15. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    I still really like Dorman's cover for the collection of DE: You've Luke, lightsaber ablaze, in black, looking cool as hell with it.

As to the thread activity or lack of, it's amazing what happens if you give people freedom, they don't always use it. Oh and Matteus, unless you're telepathic, you don't know what I'm thinking! (And if you are, well take care rooting around in my head, who knows what'll happen to you?)

So anyone here know the Weber Honor Harrington books? I've read the first 2 and got 3 looking at me from the shelf which I'llprobably start once I'm done with Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes and then the massive re-read of Malazan Vols 1-8 + supplementary volumes, followed by volumes 9-10 + supplementary volumes beckons - some 14-15 books in all! Probably take me a year minimum to pull that off, unless I surprise myself on reading speed which has slowed down, but I notice more than I did.

The great escape from Marvel / DC is in progress too, as jump-off points are set and acted upon. For Marvel a grand experiment is underway - can I buy just 2-3 titles and nothing else by select creators? For DC, the end point is set but they're slower to issue volumes than Marvel so there's more to buy, but there will be a handful of exceptions. This frees me up to save more money and pursue the more interesting independent sector, the delights of Grandville which is brilliant for instance.
  16. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    hey don't me slamin my telepathy.[face_shame_on_you]
  17. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well, today's sorta sucked so far. There's someone arguing Darth Bane is the most powerful Force user ever over in a thread in Lit, and I just don't have the debating skills to go toe to toe with them. [face_tired]
  18. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Bane !? No, Sidious perhaps but power shouldn't be the single measurement of a Force0user - it's what they do and how that should count for far more.
  19. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Whoever it is, he/she seems equally interested in humiliating me as he/she is in winning the debate. No, bowing out gracefully isn't an option, he/she demanded I concede either in public or private, so even just staying out of the thread it's gonna look like I conceded. *sigh*

I don't concede the argument, just my ability to debate it. [face_tired]
  20. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    That was an impressive display for all the wrong reasons wasn't it?

But you had the greater backers by far Dew and said snarkiness on the part of your opponent, plus an inability to recognise where the discussion was taking place saw the thread locked!
  21. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I know. Multiple-posting just to snark me up? Glad the thread's locked. Still... I came in expecting a friendly, casual, INFORMAL debate... and the OP just ripped me open like a bag of chips.

There's a reason my argument was so light. I wasn't expecting to have to debate on any real competent level, and I didn't expect to have every single detail put in the absolute worst light. I mean, c'mon- give a guy some WARNING if you intend to rip him a new one, am I right? :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting me vent on that, BTW. I just... had no idea what to do, and it's probably a good idea I didn't do anything.
  22. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Dew,

Stuff like what went on in that thread is when you call in a Mod-strike! You're a Lit poster, you have that option - don't be afraid to use it, I have. Ask RF or Quest to do a drive-by Mod warning and it can stop the rot dead in its tracks.

The most recent one for me was on behalf of John O who, delightful pro that he is, was fielding an awful lot of unearnt crap and I was getting somewhat irate by it. I've a lot of time for John, Jan and JJM - they're great posters, so tend to be quite defensive of them, not that they need the help though. So yeah, to stop me going nuclear yeah, I called in a mod-strike, worked too.

Also, you noticed the reg date? Feb 2011. Said poster also demonstrated a known pattern of engaging in antics that he thoiught demonstrated intellectual superiority, but which everyone else generally picked up as really annoying smugness. As to then not knowing the canon rules, well for that sin your thread goes boom! (Yes, I know, couldn't resist! :) )
  23. dewback_rancher Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks for the advice- I'll definitely keep that in mind, though hopefully, there won't be a next time.

...yeah, I know, small chance of that, but I'm a naive optimist. Sorta why I like that Luke, after everything he's gone through, still has that spark of optimism and naive idealism to him. It's one of his most appealing qualities.
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeesh, Dewback. That sucks. I debate people... but only when they want to debate. Or I try to keep it at that level. That's pathetic.

I am now getting hooked on an old 60's sitcom called the Patty Duke Show, mostly because the titular star is one damned good actress.
  25. ChildOfWinds Force Ghost

star 5

JediMatteus : it's a very good cover, but how do you beat, Star By Star

Sorry, JM, but I'm not really a big fan of the SbS cover. The YV looks hideous and scary, and I don't think that's the best Luke image by far!

ancslove : I love the Truce at Bakura cover!

Glad I'm not alone about that! I like the New Rebellion cover too, and the Darksaber cover is pretty good, but I think Luke looks a tad chubby. ;) As for VotF, I love the image of Mara,(she needed a different outfit besides the catsuit!) but I'm not as thrilled with the Luke on that cover. I must say though that my favorite Mara image (except for said catsuit) is the one on Sacrifice, sadly. :(

Jedi Ben : I still really like Dorman's cover for the collection of DE: You've Luke, lightsaber ablaze, in black, looking cool as hell with it.

Well, my well-known aversion to DE kind of affects the covers for me. ;)

The artist that I've become REALLY fond of though is Chris Trevas. His work is AMAZING!

So anyone here know the Weber Honor Harrington books?

I don't, but C19 always encouraged me to read them. Now that I've gotten two recommendations, I suppose I really should start reading them.

dewback_rancher : Well, today's sorta sucked so far. There's someone arguing Darth Bane is the most powerful Force user ever over in a thread in Lit, and I just don't have the debating skills to go toe to toe with them.

Dew, I saw that thread and your posts, and I thought that you did just fine in debating him. I thought he had a LOT of nerve to pretty much claim that he was all right and you were all wrong and that you owed him a concession, both public AND private. He was definitely out of line. You didn't owe him ANYTHING! Plus, I agree with YOU, not with Him, and it seemed like everyone else in the thread agreed with you too. Even George Lucas himself said that Luke has Anakin's potential, so he loses right there.

RF was right to close the thread because of his bad behavior.

But isn't it nice that we have this thread open in order to chat with one another and to vent? :)

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth