main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - Luke Skywalker - Version 3.0

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ulicus , Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I saw bits of 'The Rebel Flesh', but was kinda busy. And BBC America won't be showing 'The Almost People' until Saturday, but they'll also be showing Rebel Flesh before it.

'The Doctor's Wife'... damn, that was good.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup, it's been talked of as a possibility for years and then we finally get a Neil Gaiman ep and it's fantastic! So many wonderfully subtle observations that have been there all along but no one quite noticed them!

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    "Where's my thief?!" [face_laugh]=D=

One thing, though... I didn't like all those dead Time Lords. Especially the Corsair! Come on, an awesome name like that? One of the 'good ones' as the Doc himself described him! Damn...

Although there is an out.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I liked the exchange:

"Fear me, Doctor, I have killed many time lords."
    "Fear me, I killed them all!"

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    They wanted to use an older control room, but alas, they'd been torn down and no money to rebuild. Good to see the Ninth/Tenth one, though. :D

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, I've been neglecting this poor thread. :( I haven't stopped by in a LONG time!

Jedi Ben But yeah, it doesn't read as a series ending. End of a creative run? Definitely, John and Jan have done their story and they've placed the baton for someone else to pick up.

So does that mean that you're expecting more Legacy but with a different DH team? It certainly seems like the series is finished, that's for sure. I know that you and I have talked about all of those Sith a number of times. I really couldn't figure out how they would get rid of all of them, and I guess the answer is: they didn't.

I believe you thought they would sort of "self-destruct" and maybe take out one another, but that didn't happen. I HATE having all of those Sith left in the galaxy! :( :mad: Things now remain worse than when Luke came onto the scene. :(

* I really like Wheatley's art on Dark Times.

Oh, I love Wheatley's art wherever I see it!

* I'm now wondering if DHC know what they threw away with these decisions.

Maybe they're not sorry that they did it. I still don't know *why* they chose to end their most popular SW titles. It just doesn't make any sense at all. It's like they cut off their own foot. Really, really seems like a dumb decision to me.

* I suspect they'll go for the company standard of hoping to gain fans to replace lost fans, but I'm not convinced the strategy is right, that SW titles will be overlooked in favour of more aggressively promoted titles.

I think the fact that they've "soured" people may mean that many of them won't even attempt to start a new SW series for fear that it too will be cancelled before its time. Why invest in a story if it's going to just be cut down in its prime?

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    there have been three posts in the last 24 days. maybe this thread needs closed once in for all. too bad, i was hoping folks would keep this going, but i see nothing worth commenting on.

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    do you all know about that "sounds of star wars book", that costs like $60 originally at borders and are at least $40 othewise? well i found it at borders yesterday for $5.99. i was flabergasted. i guess borders is heading out

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, good deal. And no, the thread won't be locked unless it's gone without a reply for six months.

Also, I am a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So does that mean that you're expecting more Legacy but with a different DH team? It certainly seems like the series is finished, that's for sure. I know that you and I have talked about all of those Sith a number of times. I really couldn't figure out how they would get rid of all of them, and I guess the answer is: they didn't.

* Yeah. In a lot of ways though, if you're looking to create an era, a setting for many stories to take place you don't want to take out your main villains as they act as the catalyst for the story more often than not. I don't think John & Jan expected the era to be closed off to such a degree, that they were aiming to establish an era, have Krayt as their main villain and leave the Sith for others to resolve. Continuing plots with different creative teams is how the likes of X-Men and Batman has lasted so long, so it's not as if they were being that radical.

I believe you thought they would sort of "self-destruct" and maybe take out one another, but that didn't happen. I HATE having all of those Sith left in the galaxy! sad angry Things now remain worse than when Luke came onto the scene. sad

* Ah - no Sidious and no Krayt, who was going for Sidious-level bastardry.

Oh, I love Wheatley's art wherever I see it!

* Looks like the next DT arc is going to be very good in that respect.

Maybe they're not sorry that they did it. I still don't know *why* they chose to end their most popular SW titles. It just doesn't make any sense at all. It's like they cut off their own foot. Really, really seems like a dumb decision to me.

* Well, they pretty much did! No one has the same confidence in DHC they did before, not even Sinny and Nick!

I think the fact that they've "soured" people may mean that many of them won't even attempt to start a new SW series for fear that it too will be cancelled before its time. Why invest in a story if it's going to just be cut down in its prime?

* I think a lot will do what I'm doing - TPBs only! By the by, did you get through the KE novel in the end? Can't recall if you did or not.

11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    JediMatteus : do you all know about that "sounds of star wars book", that costs like $60 originally at borders and are at least $40 othewise? well i found it at borders yesterday for $5.99. i was flabergasted. i guess borders is heading out

Either that, or Star Wars itself isn't selling as well as it once did.

Jedi Ben : Cow: So does that mean that you're expecting more Legacy but with a different DH team? It certainly seems like the series is finished, that's for sure.

I guess I should have "looked over my work before turning it in". [face_blush] I noticed a few of these mistakes when I read over your responses to them, Ben. I meant to say that it certainly *didn't* seem as though the series was finished given the way Legacy: War ended up. Too many left over Sith and loose ends.

I don't think John & Jan expected the era to be closed off to such a degree, that they were aiming to establish an era, have Krayt as their main villain and leave the Sith for others to resolve.

Well, they certainly did *that*! If they or someone else doesn't take over, I think the "ending" of Legacy was extremely unsatisfying! When you have tons of Sith left to cause havoc in the galaxy while there really don't seem to be all that many Jedi left, things are in a BAD way! :(

I was really hoping that we'd find that Ben was actually alive somewhere, at another HUGE secret Jedi base, along with at least one other Skywalker descendant. I was also hoping we'd see a really epic battle in which the Sith were completely or nearly-completely... eliminated.

I know, very wishful thinking, huh? Still, I found the "ending" to Legacy :War to be VERY underwhelming and disappointing.

Continuing plots with different creative teams is how the likes of X-Men and Batman has lasted so long, so it's not as if they were being that radical.

So that's what you're expecting to see with Legacy?

Then what do you think John and Jan will be working on next? Do you think they'll maybe do a series with Quinlan Voss' offspring? I thought they might do a prequel with Kol, Morrigan, and Nate.

That doesn't matter. There are some at nearly their level of bastardy, as well as the very important fact that there are ten THOUSAND of them. And with them now in hiding, I think they can actually do far more damage behind the scenes than they did as very visible red-tatooed villains.

COWMaybe they're not sorry that they did it. I still don't know *why* they chose to end their most popular SW titles.

Here's another of my bad typos. I meant to say maybe they're NOW sorry that they did it!

* Well, they pretty much did! No one has the same confidence in DHC they did before, not even Sinny and Nick!

Yes, they lost a lot of fan support. DH was the most respected of the publishers, and they threw that away with what they did to KotOR and Legacy. I STILL miss KotOR! I loved Zayne!

Interestingly, KotOR seemed to be the one series that EVERYONE seemed to like.

By the by, did you get through the KE novel in the end? Can't recall if you did or not.

I have the book, but no, I haven't read it yet. I've been trying to catch up on a stack of non-SW reading that I have waiting.

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Either that, or Star Wars itself isn't selling as well as it once did.

well what idiot would spend that much on as sound machine book?

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was really hoping that we'd find that Ben was actually alive somewhere, at another HUGE secret Jedi base, along with at least one other Skywalker descendant. I was also hoping we'd see a really epic battle in which the Sith were completely or nearly-completely... eliminated.

* I wanted Nihl and Talon dead personally.

I know, very wishful thinking, huh? Still, I found the "ending" to Legacy :War to be VERY underwhelming and disappointing.

So that's what you're expecting to see with Legacy?

* Pretty much, it doesn't work otherwise.

Then what do you think John and Jan will be working on next? Do you think they'll maybe do a series with Quinlan Voss' offspring? I thought they might do a prequel with Kol, Morrigan, and Nate.

That doesn't matter. There are some at nearly their level of bastardy, as well as the very important fact that there are ten THOUSAND of them.

* Hmm, there were 10,000 but some of those have to be toast by now. And it does matter, remember what Isen was planning for instance. If the continuing existence of bad guys invalidates a victory against others then the heroes are never getting a victory!

And with them now in hiding, I think they can actually do far more damage behind the scenes than they did as very visible red-tatooed villains.

* I'm now wondering about that. The Sith were very overt for a sustained period, is the galaxy really so stupid as to fall for it again? A planetary ruler has a new red-skinned 'advisor' and they're not going to be a tad wary?

Yes, they lost a lot of fan support. DH was the most respected of the publishers, and they threw that away with what they did to KotOR and Legacy. I STILL miss KotOR! I loved Zayne!

Interestingly, KotOR seemed to be the one series that EVERYONE seemed to like.

* KOTOR had the edge on Legacy in characters and comedy, Legacy had the edge in terms of ambition but its grasp tended to fall short of that.

I have the book, but no, I haven't read it yet. I've been trying to catch up on a stack of non-SW reading that I have waiting.

* It's damn good, think you'lllike it.

14. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Had to share this one with my fellow SOSers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX3sI0q5iMI

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

15. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    LOL, Dew!!! Thanks for sharing! That was clever! ;)

JB, I'll get to your post soon.

16. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Jedi Ben * I wanted Nihl and Talon dead personally.

Yes! Why did so many Sith, especially so many NAMED SITH, survive this series?

* Hmm, there were 10,000 but some of those have to be toast by now.

Some, sure! But it certainly didn't seem like very many of them were killed off. There probably still are 10,000 or nearly 10,000.

* I'm now wondering about that. The Sith were very overt for a sustained period, is the galaxy really so stupid as to fall for it again? A planetary ruler has a new red-skinned 'advisor' and they're not going to be a tad wary?

Well, if they were able to "paint" themselves red somehow, I would imagine that the process might very well be reversible. Otherwise, as you said, it would be rather obvious who the Sith were, and it seemed as though they were planning to be "sneaky". They couldn't be very sneaky with all those tattoos and all that red paint!

* KOTOR had the edge on Legacy in characters and comedy, Legacy had the edge in terms of ambition but its grasp tended to fall short of that.

In my opinion, KotOR was far more satisfying and successful than Legacy.

And I'm still truly annoyed that Legacy was set so close to Luke's lifetime. One big reason that I really don't like the prequels or the prequel era is that we already know what's going to happen in the future. I really resent that Legacy took that away from me for Luke's era. I LIKED not knowing what the future was going to bring. It gave me hope that no matter how terrible things got in the book, there was always the chance for a bright future for the galaxy and a happy, successful ending for Luke's story. With Legacy looming in the not-too-distant future, that's no longer true. I now know what the future will bring, and it's a very bleak, dark, depressing galaxy with the Jedi purged and scattered; thousands of Sith in charge; Old Republic Jedi leading the Jedi Order; and Luke with no descendants except for Cade whom I can't stand. :(

* It's damn good, think you'lllike it.

That's good to know.

17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Old Republic Jedi leading the Jedi Order

how can any old republc jedi be alive? what do you mean by old republic?

but i agree that legacy comics is a bleak, depressing joke, that is why i did not buy the last couple tpms

18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Old Republic Jedi leading the Jedi Order
    how can any old republc jedi be alive? what do you mean by old republic?

That's what *I* would like to know!!!! :( :mad: Sadly, Ostrander has two of the three members of the Jedi Council in the Legacy comics be Old Republic Jedi. K'Kruhk and Tre'sa (not sure of the spelling) were Jedi in the Old Republic, yet they magically managed to survive both Order 66 and the Jedi purge at Ossus, and are now leading the Jedi Order in the Legacy era. :( They survived Palpatine, Vader, Yoda, Obi-wan, Luke, Ben, Kol, and Nat Skywalker. They're not only still alive, but they head the Order. :mad:

Yet, where were they when Luke needed help restoring the Order???? Who knows??? But now that Luke is dead, they've taken over the Order. So it's no longer really the New Jedi Order, but back to the Old Republic Jedi Order. :(

19. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    A beloved family member just joined the living Force yesterday. Zolie, my mom's Boston Terrier, stopped eating Monday, wouldn't go to the bathroom, and started bloating up yesterday around noonish. My mom started getting worried and took her to the vet- I thought she just might be constipated, or at least, that's what I was hoping- until my mom came home, in tears, and told me Zolie was gone.

It turns out she had a type of insidious cancer on her spleen, a kind that has no symptoms until the dog starts to bleed out and they're already dying, like Zolie was. She'd gained a pound and a half from all the blood filling her abdominal cavity, and my mom had to make the decision to have her put through a 'horrific' surgery, which would involve a lot of blood transfusions and had a minimal chance of success, or just having her put down.

It's just such a shock- Zolie was just being herself as late as this past Sunday, and the bloating only started bloating around noon. We've all been expecting our sixteen-and-a-half year old Black Lab/Cocker Spaniel/Dacshund mix, Smidgen, to go, and in fact, everyone my mom's called misheard her that Smidgen's the one that's gone until my mom corrected them that it was Zolie.

We just had no warning, and it was a real shock. My mom's harder hit- she got Zolie right after my grandma died, and Zolie really helped my mom through it. As upset as I am, I just know my mom's feeling it worse, because Zolie was the one that helped her through all of the grief, and now she's gone, too.

I mean, Zolie wasn't the best dog- she was a rescue puppy, from a puppy mill. She spent the first six months of her life alone in a cage too small for her to stand up in, forced to lay there in her own waste, so when we brought her home, for several months all she would do was lay there, shiver, and look at you out of the corner of those big bulging eyes of hers. She didn't know how to bark or run and wouldn't look you straight in the eye, and her little hind legs were so underdeveloped.

She was shivering so bad on the car ride home when we first got her, I remember I sang 'Candle on the Water' (from my favorite film, Pete's Dragon) over and over all the way home, as softly as I could- and it's very hard for me to be quiet for long- to try to calm her down. That was always her calm-down song. I don't know if she remembered or what, but it always calmed her down.

But she was never a normal dog- she was 'special'. She was, to put it bluntly, dumber than a sack of potatoes- more than once I saw her go tearing around a corner, hit the wall, bounce off, land on her back, bounce off, then land on her legs again and tear off... and her little legs had never stopped running, and I doubt she even knew she'd hit the wall. She wasn't the prettiest dog, either- she won 'Face Only A Mother Could Love' at our local Humane Society's Mutt Strut the last two years they held the category, making her officially the undefeated ugliest dog in our county, and when they named the World's Ugliest Dog earlier this year I was in hysterics because Zolie had that thing beat, no two ways about it. And she had the worst gas- she'd cut these silent-but-deadly farts that the first you'd know of them was when someone would shout her name and we'd all be scrambling to shove the dogs outside to go to the bathroom and then clear out of the room ourselves until the smell dissipated. And she couldn't entirely see well- she was somewhat wall-eyed, and the cornea on one of her eyes was scuffed, like the eye on an old, well-loved stuffed animal, so when she'd jump and park she'd sometimes accidentally nip your leg, and I had to carry her upstairs to bed since she couldn't see all the way up the big set of stairs. And when we'd try to let her outside for the night, she'd roll over in the chair (she was a seat thief) and refuse to budge. And of course, being a Boston, she snorted when she breathed- that was her most common nickname, 'The Snort', or 'Snort-beast', or some variation thereof.

But you know, as much as I'd joke about her, we all loved

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm very sorry, dewback. [:D]

21. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Thanks for the condolences, RK. And the hug, too. Always been a hugger myself- bearhugger, technically, but I'm working on not crushing and/or picking people up. But yeah, even a virtual-hug helps. [:D]

22. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Sorry for the DP, but I felt I should post this update here, too:

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Awwww, that's sad news Dew.

24. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Could be a Wookiee hug.

Yeah, dogs are always great. My parents have at least a dozen. I say "at least" because I'm not even sure they know how many dogs they have.

25. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Could be a Wookiee hug- classic.

Our man Luke knows the dangers of affectionate Wookiees after that Chewie hug in Echo Base's hangar. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.