main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Ah. Too bad. Then agian, it's around 11-13 ABY, right - and about all Luke does around there lacks shining quality, doesn't it? o_O

Rules? What rules? Rubbish. It's biology :p Besides, these things are often best worked out with hints and gradual progress. And Luke's probably the last one to get that a beautiful woman would be hitting on him. ;)

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  3. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Oh. Oh dear. I didn't even know they existed :p Yes, if only you were joking... I'm pretty shocked it's written as late as 1995, but I guess it is this neo-conservatism we face these days.

Anyway - blast the rules - and hooray for bad girls - but it's still my experience that men like to feel the hunt a little - and women like to be courted. Now, I don't think Luke's a guy who'd insist on the first - but Mara would on the latter.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it gets worse - I'm reasonably certain there's a new edition for 2013 too!

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    what ?!?!? preposterous I say, that is quite unorthadox behavior :p Why imagine the chaos that it would ensue...... a woman after a man.....that's like saying a woman being forward in a relationship or upfront with their feelings, where would it end. I mean it would make life so much easier[face_praying]

can you give us context and specifics ?

=D= I here too would like to see more direct straightforward women as well, more in RL than the EU preferably o_O

yeh I never understood why Luke took the punch during the barfight. I don't even think he had one drink, but considering his experience with hand to hand fights, how to read opponents, and oh yeah the Force, danger sense would have taken care of that...I don't like Stackpole's portrayal of Luke much save Onslaught.

yeh Zahn doesn't excel in the more "interesting aspects" of romance ;)

I did it was sweet little shortstory but it could have easily ended with the two of them going to the bedroom and cutaway. also could we see Mara contribute more in the relationship, I mean Luke got her a honeymoon getaway but what about Luke's gift besides the obvious ;)

well done apprentice you just took your first steps in a larger world :)

interesting.....

I don't remember anything.

that's why I'm the master ;) jk thanks

the idea was great but I felt the execution needed work, I mean they completely bypass the grandson of the Force/ Force diety storyline. It's implied sure but that wasn't til the last book we got any confirmation on why she was after Luke. And then she gives up, respectively Luke kill her after 3 confrontations :p

it's clear that she is jealous and is having her "I told you moment" ;)

agreed Mara's too proud. Hmm so you're saying if I become the most famous man in the world then I become more desirable to all the ladies...interesting... [face_thinking] :p

I think JB may have a point, in the GFFA man or woman go after their desires. Same for our world to a certain extent. Also Luke has been hit on rather directly by Tenienel([face_blush] ), Dani/Zeltrons ladies(=P~ ), and two Ishi Tib ladies [face_sick]

I'm waiting for the eventual female twilek comeon :p

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Can we actively start a ban on the book save for a few rules ?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Crimson Empire 3 then:

Starts off well, with Luke schooling a pair of Jedi students before being warned of a man Devian by Vima da-Boda so he heads off to Coruscant.

Luke is very suspicious of Sinn's loyalties, berates her in the aftermath of a kidnapping and assassination attempt, doesn't trust Kanos at all whe he turns up, then flies a bomb-laden shuttle off Coruscant, just escaping before it blows - and that is it.

A missed opportunity is putting it lightly.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If only!

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I'll start with a signature list if you can get some people, one of the rules is don't stare at men.....er why ?

10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    also in regards with Luke in CE 3 seems like a wasted cameo

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It started off cool and then became precisely that! An out-of-character wasted cameo too!

12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    how does the story of CE 3 compare to the other 2 ?

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Crimson Empire was a great little story that actually managed to give a bit of support to the justly carpet-bombed Empire's End, it had some good action and duel sequences and what else? Oh yeah - Wedge Antilles commanding the Lusankya!

Crimson Empire II was a more messy affair, now famous for having the first appearance of Nom Anor, whose portrayal here shows up that there was clearly a change of plans for the character later. CE2 was all right but no match for the first one.

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I'm sensing a trend where DH is trying to make unnecessary trilogies out of mini-series [face_thinking] Great first story, mediocre second story, and terrible third story. DE could have just easily been one story, instead of being milked for more content with DE 2 and EE.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be fair, there was a fair amount of material for the DE sequels, things went off the rails due to:

1. The loss of Kennedy, Baikie is actually excellent but his style doesn't fit DE - have a read of Alan Moore's gloriously anarchic 2000AD story DR & Quinch to see what I mean.

2. Cutting the Empire's End series from 6 issues to 2!

Where Crimson Empire is concerned, it's pretty much well known DHC were planning an invasion story of their own with Nom Anor then something nuked that, Nom Anor got folded into NJO and DHC apparently weren't happy about it.

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    why did they cut EE to 2 issues anyway ?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No idea! It was a stupidly dumb move in every respect.

There's a lot to like about DE2 - we have Luke restarting the Jedi, decking Sedriss on Ossus, the Alliance assaults Byss, the galaxy gun destroys Da Soocha and then there's the Battle of New Alderaan.

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Eh too few and too far in between for my tastes. We go from Luke crushing an AT-AT with his mind, Force suspending a Star Destroyer, and defeating Sidious himself to getting sith poison and running away.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You mean New Alderaan? Given there were multiple AT-ATs and Shadow Droids, I don't think it was that bad a move to make!

We also have the battle on Ossus where Luke and Kam tear through Sedriss' darktroopers and Luke casually blocks Sedriss' Force choke on him and Kam.

Come to think of it, in just about every overt battle Luke wins in DE2 onwards, Sidious has to resort to poison to have a chance.

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    was the poison to kill or convert ? I never understood the intent. As for running away I could understand as Luke was just recovering from the poison's effects but it would have been awesome to see Luke taking on a bunch of AT-ATS to cover their escape.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Pretty certain it was to kill - yep, Sidious was that scared of Luke!

22. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Close to new year here - so I'm not very comprehensive in replies [face_party]but a couple of them anyway

:oops:Tell me you're - no, I know you're not joking! Sad... sad...See this is why I still call myself a feminist even though it's outdated and I'm against 90 % of the present issues. But it's stil needed!!!

Ah, MS - with us women,nothing's ever easy. ;)

And just before you give up hope - confort yourslef that living with a man is even harder :p

Ditto here. Don't get it, don't much like it either...

Indeed... [face_devil]

But according to THT, you'd still have to chase the smartest ones

And just look what those gals ended up with! Nothing! :p The latter was one of Dennings better, though.

Eww, sad! I just noticed it was another greeneyed redhead babe in it. GFFA must be full of them

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well Palpatine knew he couldn't fight Luke again, not to mention Palpatine would not be able spirit transfer/possess strong minds and Force users. That droid jedi resisted and trap Palpatine, albeit at the cost of his life.

I understand that [face_party]

lol I have notice with my own experiences as well.

[face_laugh]

I take it you wrote a fan-fiction ?

THT ? s

well to be fair Luke did have feelings for Dani, the Zeltron ladies on the other hand were after a "fun" time with Luke.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Er yeah, plus Sinn was, er, comic-book proportioned too!

As to the likes of the Rules, this is a large part of why feminism, to me, has become a confused muddle at best, incoherent man-hating mess at worst. Why? Well, books like the Rules get presented as an example of feminism, along with reading Fifty Shades of Grey, while the bulk of feminist theory is still built around the tenet of "blokes are scum!". If the aim is to drag us all down into a gutter, then it's working fine but I wanted it to always get a damn smarter and more strategic. Instead? Seems content with gender-determined lower car insurance costs and much carping when they get struck down for being unfair on that very ground.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Happy New Year!

Hmm, 2013 - has a nice ring to it. Not sure why, maybe due to 2012 having a hold on the popular imagination but that's now gone.

Whatever the reason, does actually feel new this year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.