main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    is the comic unintentional funny ?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's intentionally funny - how else do you classy a story titled When The Fat Lady Swings?

3. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    hmmmm I'll keep an eye out for it

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Gaalan was Kyp and Kyle's equal according to Luke. So it would not be an easy fight for Luke, and it shouldn't be. Gaalan is a master level force user.

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think Childs issue is if Luke beat Palpatine or Jacen in a matter of minutes then why did He took a longer time to to eventually beat Gaalan ? the issue is that Luke had been restraining his Force use due to his injuries and still wasn't at 100 % by the end of Backlash. Ben took note of this.Luke had recover enough to fight but not at full capacity.

6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Exactly!

I went back and reread - but I admit I never quite got what happened. Was it Luke who threw that table? Why did the baddies then tell Banner that he "saved Skywalker"? Should it be understood like Luke trew taht table - and Banner just didn't take the shot at him?

There's so much adorable in Union - but the execution isn't all good...

I don't think he's quite there either. Or if that is his peak, it will still be slow going downwards for a long time yet. And that's based on how my idea of "old people" has changed just in my lifetime. Some time ago I was in the fitness center and had to face that the 60-70 year olds who were there, were in way better shape than me, simply 'cos they have the time! - and use it well! So if 70 year olds run marathon in RL, I imagine 90-100 year olds could do that in GFFA!

Quite. Yoda would know Luke wouldn't survive if he hadn't fought with all he had! Or worse, he'd be caught ofr sure!

lol we're saying the same thing, aren't we? Luke wasb't giving his all = he didn't think he had to = underestimated him. Or?

I agree! And this is one of the main reason's why I like this era! Luke still does mistakes - but his leadership is unquestionned! And considering the work he's done, I realy like that! I just loved how Kenth Hamner gave him credit in Outcast!

Artoo rules!!!
    The author has confirmed that?

Oooh... where was that again!??? I loved it too but I can't remember it for my life!

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think the dude(it was an alien wasn't it ?) was carrying the table to smash Luke with but apparently Luke makes a hand telekinetic gesture(that's how I interpret his thumbs up) which causes the table to fall on the guy. Luke earlier Force carried Corran with a mere gesture after he lost his practice duel to Cam Solusar(who looks exactly like Bruce Willis) in the jedi temple. I think the guy was suppose to shoot Luke but had second thoughts.

I like to think Union is nice love letter to Luke and Mara fans despite its problems(Luke looks off in a lot of scenes, gets injured despite he would have been prepared for an attack given his abilities, the Imperial plot seems by the numbers,etc)

still you have nice panels like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and oh yes the spa scene with all the ladies of the EU =P~ that I can't sadly find :oops:

agreed

lol those seniors stay fit and it seems lifespans are starting to expand into the 100's as a norm in RL due to healthy lifestyles, being active, exercise, vitamins, and faith believe it or not.

as for Luke's power level, I think him resisting a force push from the force potential of trillions and punching a hole through a One establishes that he's more powerful than Palaptine right now, but I still think Luke is still growing ;)

exactly.

probably, we so very often say the same thing in different ways when it comes agreeing on points ;) But yeah it's clear that Luke didn't use his full strength during the entirety of Backlash.

I'm probably one of the few that like that Luke took charge of the NJO in TSW, the order needed a firm leadership in it's infancy.

Luke's best friend, it was a shame he didn't join Luke and Ben in FotJ.

I'm sorry the book was actually Enemy Lines 1: Rebel Dream
    and yes Aaron Allston confirmed it on his website. It's what Kyp believes his own inner thoughts on the subject not an omniscient narrator stating facts;)

I think Kyp has probably change his tune by now, from what he states in LotF and FotJ

8. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Now thinking of it, I think you're right. I'd missed both that and the Corran-carrying. Then, I'm not an experienced comic book reader o_O Well, if Luke was able to protect himself, I'm much more at ease with that story - I'd read it like Luke first was caught offguard, twice - then saved by another. I thougth that pretty annoying. But If he saves himself, its another thing completely. I can live with he's not on guard on the this particular evening. :p

Yes, Kam looks Like Bruce Willis, Wes Janson looks like Tommy Lee Jones and Mara like Jennifer Aniston [face_laugh]

I SO appreciate Union!!! It's just such a nice thing! Exactly as you say: a love letter! And there as so many sweet, sweet scenes, not only L&M mush, but to Luke as well! I still think I'm entitled to say what I don't like about it, but I really don't want to be harsh with it. Besides, you've just nihilated my major complaint!
    ;)

I like it as well. I don't know, I have a feeling it's been interpreted like it was a dangerous course - but I think it was good.

Imagien a Ben & Artoo novel... [face_batting]
    That was an adorable scene in Union too - when Luke and Mara talk about Artoo's role at the wedding [face_love]

It makes sense then. Partcularly how Kyp is in start NJO! Interesting. I wonder why Allston put it in? I really need to reread NJO!!! :p

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    lol, "That is why you fail."-Yoda :p Nah it wasn't you, I think the illustrator could have demonstrate this better. For instance in Legacy you definitely know who is using telekinesis due to their hands glowing blue. I had to analyze the scenes several times to double check that it was Luke applying the Force in Union.

the thing is unless Luke was drunk he should have been able to protect himself from the first punch....danger sense anyone ???? :oops:

my other issue is that Luke looks odd in a lot of panels, but Mara looks pretty good o_O

Oh so that was Janson....hmmmm, wait Mara looks like Aniston ???? nah I just don't see it :p she did look like Famke Janssen on the Sacrifice cover though [face_love] But I think the japanese covers of NJO have the best looking Mara.

right the pros outweigh the cons, it's a story that's better than the sum of it parts and I like Mara's portrayal in it. It added a much needed depth to Mara on the concept of being a wife. She has a lot of good lines in the book, most of them about her husband and their relationship.

I think Leia's little outburst didn't help things, she even acknowledges later that Luke was doing the right thing but very few fans acknowledge that. It also seem like Leia was also harping on nothing as well, considering she knew Luke didn't want the role in the first place but had to do it to establish order.

it would be nice as I feel Ben still needs to be better developed, a solo book would do it. Can you refresh my memory on Artoo's role in the wedding ?

yes it does, I think it shows that Kyp was arrogant, impulsive and ready to take aggressive action while he doesn't understand the full picture, especially if he doesn't know Luke's abilities. His humble defeat by a sick Vong Slayer while Luke kills 8 healthy vong I think put things in perspective for him, then again he wasn't the one that witness Luke walking on lava and killing a fireworm before it, so I give him the benefit of the doubt :p Luke was being reserved and thankfully now retcon focus on rescuing refugees before he asses the enemy. Kyp is now older and wiser, less aggressive and more humble I would say though he has a few maverick tendencies.

he has impressive raw power but the Skywalker/Solo line has him beat. Jacen already was more powerful than him by DN/LotF.

10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    Right! Obviously Zahn would try to bolster his own argument by using the example in the same duology. I think it's highly unlikely that it took Luke that long to "notice the subtleties of the Force". I would think that would even have been something that would have been part of his training on Dagobah. I can see where Luke might benefit from a reminder to balance active Force usage with more passive, "listening" for cues from the Force, but we know he knew about both even from his question to Obi-wan early on about whether the Force directs a Jedi's actions, and Obi-wan's response about it also obeying a Jedi's commands.

Maybe "dark" in FotJ is a bit harsh, though it certainly fits most of Denning's other works. But I do feel that even in FotJ Denning writes Luke with a sort of coldness and detachment most of the time. I don't remember getting much of Luke's compassion or caring or even much of Luke's humor. Luke doesn't seem warm or kind or affable. He just sort of exists in the series.

Ha! Ha! Good try! ;) It didn't become a better book. It was always a great book. I just wasn't worried and nervous about Luke's injury anymore after the Joiner King came out because I knew he was physically fine. But now his moral compass was another matter! :mad:

I would think that probably would have hurt Luke, yes.

I really don't think that Del Rey knew about the ST during the production of FotJ. The books were written long before that information came out. Even if they had a hint that something was up, I don't know that it would have influenced their story, especially since we know they're still publishing books in the future. I think it's possible that there were things in the novels that seem "strange" just because they ARE strange. Denning has a tendency to add and change things at the last minute (He even changes things that he wrote in previous books) and to be quite ambiguous about many things.

While I agree that Luke always was more powerful than Jacen, as I've said before, the fact that Jacen was willing to use darkside skills and to do evil things that Luke wasn't willing to do, could have made him more dangerous to Luke than he would have been in a straight-up skirmish. So, I think Jacen could have been a continuing villain in future books if the authors hadn't decided to kill him off.

Actually, as I understand it, Lucas didn't tell Del Rey to kill Anakin. He just said that Anakin shouldn't be the hero of the series. It was Del Rey's choice to kill him.

MasterSkywalker86 :
    I truly hope NOT!

Jedi Ben:
    That's part of what I mean about Denning's love of ambiguity. We readers still don't know exactly what the authors wanted us to think of Jacen. On the one hand, he does something truly evil like kill Boba Fett's daughter by banging her head repeatedly. Then he uses the last seconds of his life to save Alana. He supposedly goes Sith to save the galaxy, but he seems to truly enjoy torturing Ben in the Embrace of Pain.

We're told at one point that Jacen became a Sith to keep Luke from dying. Later we're told he did it to save the galaxy from the Dark Man. Then we're told he did it to keep Allana from joining the dark man. I mean, which is it???

Jacen tells Ben and Luke that he's suffering "damnation", but yet he was still making cocky, arrogant comments and we're given the impression that maybe he delayed the dark man's rule.

I'm not at all fond of ambiguous stories. I don't want to have to make up my own mind about what actually happened because the author doesn't make it clear. I never was fond of those "choose your own ending" kids' books, and I certainly don't want them in the fiction that I read as an adult!

Nobody145:
    This is true. Look at Luke and Vader in RotJ.

I agree. It could have been a very amazing battle between Luke and Jacen. But authors don't seem to like to use their creativity to come up with new and exciting Force skills. They just have the two battling it out with lightsabers.

I agree!

And that was really stupid, especially since Lucas told us that Anakin balanced the Force by defeating Palpatine. How could he have done that if he would have taken on the role of the father?

Robimus :
    Hi, Rob! I agree about all of that. Jacen was indeed the villain who did some truly evil things. I also agree that FotJ "muddies" this. I prefer not to take those pool visions seriously. Besides. whatever happened to "... always in motion is the Force"? Those pool visions seem to be taken as sacrosanct by everyone, including Luke, who should know better.... Besides, if Jacen caused the vision to change once, what's to keep it from changing yet again?

MasterSkywalker86:
    And Luke knew most of those Force tricks too. Still, while I agree that Luke would be more likely to win in a straight one-on-one fight at this point, it *is* possible that Jacen could have defeated him. All it would have taken would have been something to distract Luke; or surprise dark side Force attacks or evil tricks; or putting innocents or family members in harm's way.

Even Corran Horn defeated Luke in a lightsaber skirmish just a few weeks into his Jedi training, and Horn didn't have Skywalker class Force potential like Jacen probably does.

While I agree that Jacen's characterizations were even more "all over the map" than Luke's, I think we Luke fans DO have plenty to complain about with regard to most of Luke's portrayals and roles in the books.

JediMatteus:
    I agree with all of the above except for the claim that Jacen would have been more powerful than Luke. Lucas himself said that Luke had Anakin's full potential. While I think that Jacen probably inherited it as well, and may have become as powerful as Luke one day, I don't think he ever would have been more powerful than Luke. Equal... quite possibly; more powerful than Luke... I don't think so.

SiouxFan:
    I think both were due to bad writing. Jacen was a completely different character as a child and a teenager. He always had a special affinity for living things. That's why I find it so hard to believe that he would become Darth Caedus, one who didn't seem to have any respect for life.... Look at the way he treated Ben and Boba Fett's daughter and that young Jedi girl that he killed. Look at the way that he put innocents into danger to keep Luke from trying to capture him, and the way that he left his family members to die on Gilater (probably the wrong spelling) while he fled to save his own skin. And this was after his family came to HIS rescue there!

Yes, people can and do change, but the authors didn't make Jacen's change believable to me. Jacen's characterizations, like Luke's, were all over the map, even within one series (LotF)

Exactly, but not only that, Luke has faced Vader and Palpatine mulitple times. He has faced the Yevetha, the Yuuzhan Vong, the death seed, Nightsisters, Exar Kun, a clone of himself, tons of Lost Sith, entechment, ABELOTH, etc., etc. He has suffered the loss of his wife and two of his nephews, one to the dark side. As you said, after everything Luke has been through and faced, what could possibly "shake him to his core"???? What could possibly be worse? It's ridiculous!!! And it's really because of all of those unbelievable things that Luke has been through that I don't think it's possible that they will be able to keep the EU intact when the sequels come out. It's all just too much and too hard to believe and accept.

More another time...

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Del-Rey has abused the "kill the character event" too many times already..

except you don't see Vader wield half the abilities he did in ESB and his Force use was limited due to his "iron lung". I'll say Luke was the stronger duelist but I don't think he would be able to defend himself(at the time) if Vader unleash a telekinetic assault.

most of that lies with Del-Rey handicapping Luke too much, FotJ limited his abilities quite a bit considering we had some few incredible moments in TUF and DNT.

it was a practice round similar to when Leia somehow defeated Luke there too, I take it that he didn't give it his all or was distracted. Corran was later amazed that Luke defeated 5 jensari in the time it took for Corran to defeat one. I'll admit it's possible for Luke to lose to a weaker opponent but the opponent has to be prepared similiar to Lumiya in Tempest.....although Luke ended on top in that situation ;)

well duh :p that hasn't change of course. I'm just saying Jacen has fare just as bad if not worst than Luke's characterization.

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wasn't paying that close attention to Star Wars back then so I don't know the details, although I have heard that having too many prominent Anakins was a problem, or at least an issue, not sure about whether that meant kill him off or just that he couldn't be the lead (doesn't help that Anakin Solo was also a much better leading hero than Anakin Skywalker, his future fall to the darkside aside he was a jerk a good deal of the time). But yeah, Del Rey's idea of drama is "kill characters!" repeated over and over. Notice how the cast has been shrinking? Especially with no new characters to replace them. What's even more annoying is how often certain villains survive.

What I find annoying is that Luke had a hard time with Jacen, but was still clearly superior, fine, Jacen was meant to be the villain of LotF, although since then it seems like they're really confused about what direction they're going with Jacen, but then it often seems like there's no clear direction or planning either. What I find really irritating is that most of the Jacen's fights are about the same length as Luke's battles with the Tribe Sith, and they don't really come off as top-tier Sith. If they had numbers, sure, but its really annoying to have all these Jedi Master-level Sith just show up out of nowhere, and the exhaustion excuse only works so many times. Although mainly its the fault of the book structure. A few vague cryptic clues, scenery description, then a fight scene of moderate length. They did this during LotF and again during FotJ, mainly just switching in villains here and there (Jacen, Lumiya, Alema, random Tribe Sith, etc.), usually followed by the villain escaping most times (unless it was really minor fodder villain, or a final battle, but those are usually all saved for the last three books).

Its hard to gauge an age vs experience with Luke, since Skywalkers are extremely powerful. And even then, Luke was winning that duel at the end, but there were lots of other factors involved too so its hard to say why Luke really won (part of corrupting him, darkside power boost, Vader holding back against his son, etc.).

Ah, Union. Honestly its a bit too sappy for me, and the artwork is only decent. The humor was pretty good, or at least I liked it too, such as Luke's bachelor party full of Bantam era characters. Although another thing I loved was that after they had talked down the troublemakers, I'm pretty sure I remember a panel where someone asked if the threat had been real, and the answer was no, the New Republic had patched that hole years ago. That kind of preparation is... extremely rare these days, usually its always the heroes lose, villains have prepared more, etc., and then at the last moment the heroes pull off some bittersweet win. Although no losses is probably too much to ask for, but I really object to too many losses. The prequels are ok in that aspect as they're prequels, there is already a happy ending. I hate when everything else has to end on a dark ending, not as a cliffhanger until the next confirmed part, but just random foreshadowing gets boring fast. Apocalypse's vague 10 Knights thing for instance. They're out on a quest, an extremely vague quest, with no end in sight or even any clue of who they are.

Also, sometimes I get tired of the Skywalker special destiny, their raw power or stuff like that. Yes, I love Luke and this is a thread about him, but he can't be the hero forever and just making Ben a Luke Jr. isn't really an interesting continuation either. Although Ben's already quite different personality-wise, but he's quickly heading for the same type of role as Luke, with how much focus he got in FotJ and how little focus everyone else go. I actually liked Kyp somewhat in LotF as he had basically settled down and was now a cooperative senior member of the NJO. I remember how he and Corran and Kenth were arguing a lot in DNT, with Kyp being more independent-minded while I think Corran and Kenth argued for supporting the GA. Luke brokered a compromise but its still disappointing that Luke had to do so and they couldn't. And then in FotJ that argument was taken up again, and while normally both sides had good points, its kind of hard to seriously believe an argument that suggest supporting Daala. And without Luke around... they probably would have killed off Corran but Kenth is more... minor, and they probably wanted to have more angst with Corran and his kids.

Anyway, back to my point, I know Skywalkers are often the central focus, but it would be nice to see more characters able to take up leadership if need be, especially as being the lead hero is a heavy burden. Its why I didn't dislike Cade that much, as he didn't want any of it, as he had read the histories and just wanted out, an understandable position. Just wish the Legacy comic had focused more on the ones willing to fight rather than Cade though. Its why I wish the NJO Jedi Council had been more active as people like Kyp and Corran should be able to handle major missions on their own. We saw some of this in LotF actually, but they went in the completely opposite direction with FotJ unfortunately. I know Luke's NJO is still young, very vulnerable compared to the old Jedi Orders, but... well, during the NJO they looked new, still working out having more Jedi than any one person could keep track of. By LotF they had just shifted to the prequel style of running things, but without the prequel Jedi Order's resources so they don't come off looking competent, and that was when the Chief of State wasn't particularly malicious towards them.

The non-big series books have often turned out decent, its when they try to do something big that things go wrong, unfortunately. Crucible sounds like its just a standalone or at least won't be longer than one book, but I'm still nervous and pessimistic. The cover certainly doesn't help either.

13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    True... Yet, he was very muhc guard down, having all his friends gathered and celebrating him, and drunk on love if nothing else LOL I can live with that. But I was annoyed because I thought he was saved by that Banner guy.

Agree on jap covers, though she's overorderly striking on those. Not that I mind her being pretty, but her being a spy, I could imagine her beauty be a tad less spectacular. A bit more like Michelle Pfeiffer who can both be a knockout AND invisible. Angie Everheart can't do the latter, if you take my point.

Sacrifice - you're so right! I hadn't made that coupling! LOL
    Mara has indeed many faces...:

[​IMG]

In Survivor's Quest it'ss Angie Everheart exactly
    [​IMG]
    In Handoff (shortstory) Mara is Dina Meyer:
    [​IMG]
    In the paperback of COO it's Angie Harmon:
    [​IMG]

In TLC comic, I think she was inspired by Linda Harrison in Terminator II:

[​IMG]

As for Jennifer Aniston - well, see for yourself:
    [​IMG]

Thing is, that Abyss Mara also looks exactly like someone - but I can't remember who! :confused:
    [​IMG]

And Tim Battershell !!! See!!! Thank you for your help!!! [:D][:D] [:D]

Yeah... It múst be annoying for the authors though, that if they want to make a point, that people in general only get half of it...

He's ringbearer! It's so cute!!!

I think you're letting your emotions from earlier novels color FOTJ ! I was just skimming the Luke & ben parts in Abyss, and while far from my fav in thi series, I really find them good, character wise. From the start with

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The shadow duel in Betrayal basically shows a Luke at 100% and being calm could handle Jacen in a matter of minutes with no physical exertions. As for the Inferno duel Luke fought with emotion and anger due to all he had witness which means he wasn't fighting from his calm center. Dewback Rancher highlighted this as the fight was emotional for Luke in multiple ways, fighting his nephew who has his son tortured, Luke's wife died, etc.

maybe, it's just that danger sense never turns off and you see at least two panels where Luke knew a potential confrontation was about to happen.

true, I dunno exactly which actress would basically capture her essence.

indeed and to think this model was suppose to be the actual look of Mara

[​IMG]

egad Linda Hamilton !!!! Interesting that panel in TLC does look like her, good catch.I remember owning that issue too.

ok I see it in that panel.....and wow you're right Mara's face changes too much lol.

right

adorable

kataja likes this.
  15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    just a random search in wookieepedia when I was looking at Mara's entry

[​IMG]

dunno if the image is officially licensed or not but does Mara seem a little jealous to you ? :p

kataja likes this.
  16. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    No problem, K! Pleased to help! :)

kataja likes this.
  17. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Good point... Ah, I was just trying to go easy on Union :p

Well, I guess she's the one who's most used ;)

Wait. Maybe that was part of her spy training [face_thinking]

Oh, it's official all right, it's from Essential Reader's Compagnion (and in another pic from there, Mara looks like Emma Stone, and in another like Angelina Jolie :p ) But you're absolutely right - she's jealous! She's SO jealous, but not necessarily acknowledging it yet [face_tee_hee]

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    yeah I know what you mean, it irks me a bit but at least the mushy story is a nice send off to the characters.

apparently :p

....I got it she's a changeling :eek: or maybe she makes a fallanasi illusion over her face every so often.

I don't see the Emma Stone look there, but I notice everybody is smiling or slightly grinning but her.....thoughts??? :p $5 for the Angelina Jolie/Mara pic ;)

19. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    SiouxFan:
    Probably because George Lucas pretty much said that Luke WAS the most powerful. In an interview Lucas said that Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be far more powerful than the Emperor, but after his fight with Obi-wan he lost a lot of his potential. Lucas said that Luke could become what Anakin couldn't, which means Luke could be far more powerful than the Emperor. Now, did we see this in the films? Of course not. Luke was just a brand new Jedi with a very small amount of Jedi training at that point. But Luke has learned much and grown much in the Force since then. I would say that he is now supposed to be very powerful. Sadly, we don't often get to see Luke "unleashed" and using his full Force potential in the books. But that doesn't mean he isn't powerful. I would actually like to see Luke show more of his power in the Force and some creative uses of the Force too.

MasterSkywalker86:
    And Lucas said that Luke had Anakin's potential and could become what Anakin couldn't. So Luke is more powerful than Yoda.

Yes, people can learn new things and grow all the time.

Isn't it that a Jedi can use the Force to neutralize the toxins? But I think a Jedi has to be conscious to do that, right?

As I said, I think it would be the fact that Jacen would be willing to do nasty things that Luke wouldn't be willing to do and that he would be willing to use dark side powers that Luke wouldn't be willing to use that could possibly give him an advantage over Luke.

I agree.

That's exactly what I meant. The whole Abeloth, Krayt, and One Sith plotlines weren't satisfactorially concluded. In fact, I don't feel they were "ended" at all.

Ah! I see! A little gossip over hot chocolate! ;)

Nobody145:
    Yes, plus darksiders don't have much of a moral compass, so they wouldn't exactly "play fair" in a fight. Nor would they care if what they were doing was morally wrong.

That's a good point, N!

SiouxFan:
    I do know that Allston once said that Kyp THOUGHT he was more powerful than Luke, (in some inner thoughts in the NJO) but that he wasn't. That was just Kyp being a bit arrogant.

It's possible that KJA was planning for Kyp to be more powerful than Luke, but that was before the prequels and before Lucas made his comments about Luke having the Skywalker potential.

MasterSkywalker86:
    This is true. You're also right that while Kyp had trouble with one slayer in TUF, Luke successfully battled eight of them by himself.

Yep!

kataja:
    I don't know that I would say that Luke's story will be completely finished before the beginning of Episode 7. I'm hoping Luke will have a role to play there too which will be a continuation of his story. But I do agree that the next generation will have the leading roles, and I do hope that they will go back and fill in Luke's backstory in the movies after the ST is over.

I pretty much agree with this, though I don't know that Jacen would have become more powerful than Luke.... But I definitely agree that Jacen was ruthless, and that ruthless people can definitely be a serious threat.

Exactly!

Well, like I also said, when is anyone ever really ready for news like that?
    I don't disagree. That's why I said that Obi-wan and Yoda were lucky that Luke didn't "break", as you put it, and take his father up on the offer to join him ..." and rule the galaxy as father and son".

Exactly!

That's it in a nutshell. Just because Kyp thinks he's the most powerful, doesn't make it so. And since George Lucas has said otherwise, I'd go with GL over Kyp. Anakin and Luke are the most powerful.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I don't know, MS. That seems like a very drastic way to stop Luke from getting together with Jem. Couldn't they have just figured it out for themselves without Jem having to die to keep her from marrying Luke???

kataja:
    That makes three of us who don't believe that Luke has reached his full potential yet.

I'm sure they could!

Allston did confirm that Kyp just THOUGHT he was more powerful than Luke, yes.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Hmmm... I need to go back and look at that again. I thought Luke was just giving a thumbs up to the guy who helped keep him safe...

That's a nice way of looking at it.... and you could very well be right too!

I agree too!

Yes, I think he is too!

I liked it too. The Jedi needed a leader, and I thought it was about time that Luke decided to lead. And no one else would have been a better leader of the NJO than Luke.

Yes, I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Artoo with Luke for a very long time, and I really love their relationship. I think Artoo/Ben interactions would have been great too. Certainly the journey during the exile would have been a great time for Artoo to join Luke again.

More another time!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    =D= YES! =D= we haven't see him wield power on the scale of BFC, TUF and TSW in quite some time....I say it's been more than enough time to fix that.

exactly, I posted up the GL quote from the Rolling Stones on the previous page.

that's certainly how Luke and Yoda demonstrate it.

both I believe, in KOTOR 2 it shows that the Force can protect the body from lethal poisons which would kill non-force sensitives but it would keep them incacipated and the jedi was unconscious.

it's different than a healing trance.

exactly ;)

right, the book was Enemy Lines 1: Rebel Dreams. Allston confirm it was Kyp's thoughts. I think it might have been KJA's plan but it didn't fly with the rest of the books at the time with Bantam or LFL.

right.

actually this was Kataja's idea, which I feel is kind of drastic :p

but that's the thing I don't remember anyone in the panel that was behind the alien attacker for Luke to give a thumb's up to. As I remember Luke also casually picks up Corran during the sparring session but it's not as obvious as it should be.

awesome that makes 3 of us ;)

21. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I meant this one:

[​IMG]

Deal! :D

[​IMG]

Now you owe me $5 ! ;)

I HAVE to write that fanfic!!! :p

We agree, then!

And a very good point that is, Child!

That was actually me who said that. And tongue in cheek too... But fact is that the authors (=the Force inuniverse) have been ver harsh to poor Luke's poor girlfriends all through. Again, Leia's not even aware of how lucky she is... :p

If anyone knows where to find that interview, I'd love to read it!

I really think it's correct! I've read something similar!:)

No, I think you're right. The whole scene never quite made sense to me, but with your theory, it does. I want back and reread and now it feels like it's 'working'.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ok point taken :p wow this is like beyond ridiculous, Mara has like what 20 faces ? :eek:

I thought there was a money emoticon but how about some coffee instead ? [face_coffee] [face_money_eyes] Don't be fickle apprentice, jk :p Hmm ok here's a thought which face do you think fits Mara more appropriately out of the dozen faces there are ? Personally I thought Shannon McRandle had her mostly down but I picture her face slightly different.

well....Dani is still alive right ? :p

it was originally on his webpage but I don't see it there anymore....maybe Child can find it

thanks, like I said the panel is not obvious as it should have been and Banner couldn't have shot or punch the guy without there being a sound effect or a motion effect.

ok here's a question since it's a slow day, what is your ideal portrayal of Luke in the ST ? By that I mean what will the character get to do in the new movies ?

23. kataja

May 4, 2007
    At least. I've gathered many of them on my homepage, but haven't had time to update the latest yet. If you're interested, check http://kataja.mono.net/9691/images of Mara Jade

Ah well. And a nice cup of tea tomorrow, the it's fine ;)

Now that's a hard one! Shannon MacrRndle has much the finelined face I imagine for Mara ( more that that, say, a typ like Debra Messing (though I LOVE Debra Messing) Also, I like Emma Stone, but she's not Mara to me, neither is Dina Meyer), but Shannon's basicly too 'mild' in her expression. I really like Mara on this pic:.

[​IMG]
    Here it's much more her air than her actual face, that I like. Her face it fine too, but her expression just nails it!
    Famke Jansen has the face - but she's too tall and lanky. Angelina Jolie has the face too - and that 'air' of slight pain/bitterness that I think Mara should have - but her problem is that she's, well, Angelina Jolie.
    If I could just pick a face, I'd probably pick Jacqueline Bisset, as she looked when she was younger, but it's really hard.
    LOL point. As is miss Winger ;)

Oh dear. That's as hard :p Ok. I want him to have established a well functioning New Order. I want him to have the full credit for this. I want him to know/ find out, that there's still something that's lacking. I want him to have a vital role in finding out what this is. Not necessarily by being the one who finds out - but maybe the one who gives the blessing for someone else to partake on a mission ot find out. Point is, I want him to be still willing to risk everything to do the right thing - no reactionism! I also want him to do somethigng spectacular that sho'w just how cool he is. I want him to be still humble but feel good about his life and what he's achieved. I want him to be/have been married to Mara.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Have to say I would have liked Kyp to exceed Luke in sheer ability to handle the Force - because that'd would place the focus on things other than power. It wasn't because he was the strongest or fastest or the most skilled that Luke blew up the Death Star, he worked out very quick a hair-raising attack plan that was nigh-on suicidal but also never planned for! By anyone. Just not a fan of the church of Anakin Skywalker, by this blood you shalt slaughter everyone! Meh!

kataja likes this.
  25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    nice site there Kataja :) the HTTE source book have some of the worst illustrations of Mara that I have seen in a long time. This make wonder why we have so few comics of Luke and Mara as newly weds but then again we been pondering that question for a long time.

it's hard I agree, I don't think I can see her portrayed as one of big named actresses. Perhaps an unknown, she has to have that duality to be a tough as nails but to also have a loner vulnerability. She's an elite Imperial spy/soldier as well as naturally beautiful. I'm picturing someone similar to Charlize Theron(from Monster and Prometheus) or Gina Carano, with a personality not borrows some elements from Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor. Plus she has that Lois Lane sarcasm as well.

well I hope for all of that, as well as him being central to the entire trilogy as a main character, hopefully in his 30's-40's, and to finally see what a Skywalker can actually do [face_praying]

I'm talking like he can stop an Imperial fleet from invading with only telekinesis....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.