main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think it can be argued we see some evidence of telepathy on Anakin's part in Episodes I and possibly III, danger detection in Episode II and I took the so-called "Force whirlwind" to be application of TK. Not to mention the fact that PT Anakin has visions of the future.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Okay to AOTC example.

The others I can't agree with. When do you think he showed telepathic skills in TPM? I can't remember any mind reading going on.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's a possible interpretation of the "a ship, a cup, a speeder" thing. As far as the "Force whirlwind" thing is concerned, the wind is from the window being shattered. Before that it's all TK.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Guys, just a gentle reminder that this is a Luke thread and the mods don't take kindly to this thread going off topic. They would probably welcome an excuse to lock the thread. Thanks!

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    sorry. i am at fault for derailing things here.

Besides, how do you do those maths anyway?

i dont. i am not a logical person. I am a person of emotion and passion. The only real ammo i have is what Geroge Lucas said about Luke .

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  6. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    That's the only ammo you really need

7. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Yeps. And as for passion - I could argue that he has to be the most powerful because he's so adorable - but I don't think the guys at that thread would buy it ;)

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    lol,. probably not. so have we heard anything more about Crucible or the new movies and how luke will be portrayed? I imagine we should be getting some more blurbs on Crucible right?

9. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I think this blurb is all we've got so far:
    Well, 9th of July is still far away - but how much do we generally get before a book. We've had the first pages too... but no Luke there. As for the movies, nothing more than Mark Hamill's "They're talking to us" and Lucas semi slip some weeks ago. Still, Disney and Hamill both seem so insist nothing's decided yet. All we basically know is that IF the big three will be in the story (and of appropriate age, I'd assume) , they will be played by the OT actors.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    So star wars meets Indiana Jones? Although I think there was an item with said properties of bending space and time in Tomb Raider

11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:
    That's what I'm hoping! It's time to focus on Luke!

Ah, thanks! I didn't remember that quote. You're right then. I wonder why Han didn't trust Luke if Lando did?

That's what I think, yes.

She certainly didn't handle Luke or Mara well! :(:mad:

Darth_Pevra:
    I agree. I hated that too. I also didn't like that Luke was too passive for too much of the war and didn't want to fight the Vong because he was afraid the Jedi would go dark. What???!!! The YV were invading the galaxy; killing countless people; and destroying the galaxy with their terra-forming and Luke was afraid the Jedi would go dark for attacking them. Sheesh!!!! The Jedi were NEEDED to defend the galaxy and the people of the galaxy. How is it dark to oppose the YV in order to save innocents???? Luke was very out-of-character for much of that series!

It certainly seemed terrible to me!

kataja:
    Then that's what Luke should have been saying/thinking. We were inside Luke's head. He was the point of view character for much of that sequence.

You and I are in agreement about this. That's why I thought Luke was written horribly out-of-character by an author who has admitted to disliking the Jedi. I don't believe that Traviss should have been allowed to write Luke this way. Someone should have told her she couldn't write Luke that way.
    them from it.

JediMatteus:
    I completely agree! And Lucas himself has said this. Obviously, other authors want to try to push their characters as even more powerful, so they either weaken or handicap Luke in some way or have their character do something amazing to make that character seem better/more powerful than Luke. It's annoying! I read through that thread and have come to the conclusion that nothing anyone says is going to change the minds of most of those who PREFER to have another character be more powerful or better than Luke, so I'm not even going to try. They may find out in the end that the EU with their fan favorite powerful Jedi may end up totally overwritten by the ST anyway...

Iron_lord :
    Which pretty much covers Luke and his entire Jedi Order, plus most of the prequel Jedi as well.

Darth_Pevra:
    That's pretty much the way I feel too. I just think it would be a waste of energy because they don't seem willing to change their minds. They want their pet characters to be more powerful than Luke, so nothing will likely get them to admit that maybe they were wrong.

JediMatteus:
    But that should be the BEST kind of ammo there is! As MS says, it should be the ONLY ammo that you need! They just don't want to hear anything that negates what they want to believe.

I don't think there has been any new news for a long time now. I think we should be getting some more information about Crucible pretty soon.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It's not only OOC, it is also horrible, horrible logic. Sure, Jedi going dark is bad, but the Vong were destroying planets left and right. Even if the Jedi were afraid the force would corrupt them that's a risk they should've taken considering the circumstances.

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    agree. I hated that too. I also didn't like that Luke was too passive for too much of the war and didn't want to fight the Vong because he was afraid the Jedi would go dark. What???!!! The YV were invading the galaxy; killing countless people; and destroying the galaxy with their terra-forming and Luke was afraid the Jedi would go dark for attacking them. Sheesh!!!! The Jedi were NEEDED to defend the galaxy and the people of the galaxy. How is it dark to oppose the YV in order to save innocents???? Luke was very out-of-character for much of that series!

to me Luke's caution was warranted and understandable

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But why was it so absolute?

Why was it either all-out action against the Vong and falling to the dark side or do nothing to avoid that and hold back?

What happened to finding the smarter, middle way that avoids either failing and allows the Jedi to defend the NR against the Vong?

There still could have been schism over what place to defend when, due to the sheer scale of the Vong invasion. But that would have been a damn sight better than what was actually done.

Darth_Pevra and kataja like this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke's major concern was the genocide aspect, ISTR, the fact that the Vong always fight to the last Vong; never back off, never surrender.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That came later yes and had far more force to it really, but if the enemy fought to the last - what then? It was the big question NJO, for all it's talk of being brutally realistic, went and ducked.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  17. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Also the Vong didn't register in the Force, and (until Jacen/Vergere returned with insights) Luke had no real knowledge of the problem (see the Second Pillar of the Jedi). Aggression leads to the Dark Side! Luke was prepared to act defensively where possible (Ithor, for instance) but how much could a small number of Jedi actually do against an entire species?

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    It wasn't til on Zonoma Zekot that Luke and co discovered the truth of the Vong were stripped of the Force though

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And there's your fuel for a far better schism! Where do you act and why? What happens when acting to defend point X means having to let point Y fall because your other force have already been committed to defend point Z?

The problem I have with the first half of NJO is it posits that Luke Skywalker is quite at ease to hold back for the bulk of 2 years! The timeline just doesn't work for me, a shorter, faster, swifter Vong blitzkrieg to Coruscant in less than a year? Yeah, that works.

As to aggression and the dark side, it's more accurate to say that it can lead to the dark side but there's nothing that says it has to! Plus, how is that to be defined anyway? Is it aggressive to defend those the Jedi order exists to do so against a sadomasochistic adversary invading? I don't think it is. If a Jedi, on the battlefield, suddenly switches from "win the battle, if the enemy retreats fine" mode to "kill every Vong and once they start running, kill them, find their friends, kill them, find their friends and kill them" then there's the fall to the dark side right there!

Darth_Pevra and kataja like this.
  20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I'm curious what that had to dow with anything? I never got it.

What was that thing about aggression? [face_batting]

Ditto!

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Luke did do things in that time period. He scouted out the vong on worlds, and tried to establish a Jedi Council so that they could act in concert instead of all over the place.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Having 1-2 Jedi fall to the dark side is bad but what the Vong did was far worse (and I'm still at book 6) than anything 1-2 stray dark jedi could've done. It was a different situation from PT. This time any new Sith wouldn't/couldn't hide as easily as Palps.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not much for 2 years though is it? It's the timeframe that's problematic. Establishing a network to help the refugees was easily one of the better things Luke did, he actually acted for once.

But acting in concert in place of dispersed operations raises its own problems - where do you act and why? Who do you choose to save and who not? This is where there should have been a schism due to the nature of it.

I do consider the NJO a missed opportunity, we only really got to see the Jedi and NR working together at the end, it should have been that way from the start. And the Jedi Council idea was a clusterfrell - we need a Jedi Council because? Jedi are going around enforcing the law and embarrassing politicians, yes, that's a problem.

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos.......the men and women of the Hall of Justice. Jury, Executioners........Jedi!!!

JB u better get the reference

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sadly I don't get it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.