main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I guess you do ;)

Ok. Pretty smart rebooting, now rebooting was needed. And ten doubled, isn't that far from 19 ;)

I basically agree - then again, this is a matter in the start of the comic series - Luke, Leia, Wedge -t hey're all deeply affected by what's happened - but they haven't had time to stop and think. Maybe stopping would even be too painful. Actually, I'd say Luke's falling for Prithi could be seen as a fear to let reality come too close. We should remember that we know (from ESB and ROTJ) that Luke isn't deep down buying the hero-worship - it doesn't chance his basic, humble idea of who he is. So instead of seeing it as fame rises to his head, it could be more like he uses is as a chance to drug away his pain.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    too bad we don't get that characterization of Luke in Allegiance/CoO. His quick witted nature and resourcefulness help him on the Death Star, he also has mechanical, pilot, and droid maintenance skills, add that to his slowly growing leadership skills, skill with a blaster and dead on instincts and you have your recipe to write a pre-jedi Luke. He should only rely on the Force when conventional means don't work.

meh, Leia seem like the typical love interest choice before her sibling reveal, I like the fact they didn't follow the standard convention of them ending in a romance. The problem is that the OT didn't introduce another love interest for Luke. Here is hoping that ST fixes that. Plus RotJ is my favorite of the OT ;)

T-R- and RK_Striker_JK_5 like this.
  3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Ooh, that's a good video, MasterSkywalker! Thanks for posting it.

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    no problem, Mark Hamill beat the actor of "The Greatest American Hero" for the role after Mark's friend Robert Englund(Freddy Kreuger) suggested him the part. I hope for the potential animated series that the voice actor captures Luke's portrayal from the OT to a T. Bob Bergen(voice actor of Luke in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, Rogue Squadron III:Rebel Strike) just couldn't cut it in my book

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah. Mark Hamill did an awesome job as Luke all the way through.

kataja and T-R- like this.
  6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    whoever the new voice actor is, he better capture that. Better recognize :p

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    voice actor? i guess i did not follow this thread well enough. Why would someone be voice acting luke. Hamil can still sound young can't he?

T-R- likes this.
  8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    While Hamill has a good range of voice acting I dunno if he can mimic his younger self

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    If that's the direction they're going for the reboot my hopes just got raised by a factor of fifty.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    actually that's concept art from "the Star Wars" comic. I'm hoping for more something like this for Episode VII

[​IMG]

T-R-, Darth_Pevra and kataja like this.
  12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    lol, almost makes me wish I kept up on the news. :p

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    lol what news ? there is a good bet that the original cast will be in the film but we have no synopsis and no idea how much will the OT characters will be involved. I'm hoping for a good balance between he new generation and original generation.

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    See? I didn't even know there was no news! :D :p

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well that's what I'm here for ;)

kataja likes this.
  16. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    I suppose that's possible, but I think I would have preferred to see how Luke reacted to reality setting in. I think that would have been a bit more realistic. It sounds like this comic starts to take place during a bit of "down time". I think it's important for people to face reality and not pretend that terrible things didn't happen.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Right! And especially at this time when he really didn't know how to use the Force. Why ignore all of Luke's other talents just because he's not a Jedi yet?

You're right. I don't think I would have been disappointed that Leia didn't end up with Luke if another love interest had been introduced for Luke. This way though, I felt sad for Luke that he ended up alone after losing so much.

RK_Striker_JK_5:
    I agree. It was interesting, MS. Where did you find it?

MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree with Jedi Matteus. think Hamill could still do it.

RK_Striker_JK_5:
    It's not too late. Most of us don't know much more than you do at this time about the sequels!

17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree as well, Hamill could - and should - voice Luke in an animated series.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I brought this quote from the New, Powerful Force User thread. Some of us have read about Luke since the first EU introduction while others are just getting their feet wet with the latest Del-Rey publication. One of the consistent tropes introduced in the novels is the idea of handicapping the character despite Luke not being all powerful. I feel there are ways of having Luke used his full abilities without reducing the challenge of the potential threat or the drama of the story. I feel like handicapping him has been abused to death. I'm curious to hear everybody's thoughts on the matter.

it's like restraining his mind now instead of his Force abilities :rolleyes:

I'm actually one of the few guys that didn't find Princess Leia attractive well until RotJ but even then I felt like she wasn't Luke's type. Although once I saw Mara and got over her anger of Skywalker, I was pleased.

on EW.com, there was an interview with Randy Stradley with the magazine company about the new "The Star Wars" comic.

T-R-
    question is will he do it ?

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yes will he do it, and if he is willing then the question is how much we he cost, and will it conflict down the road with the movies?

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    and how do you know if he will do it ? he's avoided the character for a good while. I think he's now more then up for doing the live acions movies after being the joker for 20 years but I dunno if he'll want to voice Luke in an animated series. Though one would hope. Another question is can he voice a younger version of himself ? [face_thinking]

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    T-R-:
    Yes, I agree.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree. It was pretty awful.

I too feel that handicapping Luke has been way overdone. Sadly, it appears that Del Rey is planning to continue this because of Luke's Force injury in Apocalypse. Luke could very well be permanently Force disabled. (at least until/unless the ST overwrites the EU) :(:mad:

Why not just give Luke some very clever and diabolical opponents and then have him use his resourcefulness, brains, AND his Force gifts to counter them? If the authors write poweful and/or clever villains, they can be a challenge to Luke without handicapping Luke. I really would like to see more of "Luke unleashed". We really haven't seen much of Luke using his full Skywalker Force powers.

Yes, and it's just as annoying!

But sadly, Luke may not get to have Mara or anyone else as his wife in the ST. I will really, REALLY be disappointed if we find out in Episode VII that Luke never married and never had a child or children. :(:mad:

I think he might if offered the opportunity; yes.

I don't know why he wouldn't. I wouldn't say that he has "avoided the character" as there hasn't been much of an opportunity to play the character. Who would even have thought a year ago that we would be getting new SW films that included Luke Skywalker? There hasn't been an animated series or a film involving Luke since RotJ, so the actor had no possibility of playing the character again until now.

And, yes, I think he could probably still voice a younger version of Luke.

22. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Thank's for that audition vid, MS! I've seen it before, but it's worthwile seeing many times. It conforms to me how unque Hamill actaully is - he has that earnest, almost offended quality AND an amazing, out-turned energy to go with it. Just watched Hunger Games and contemplated the two male actors there; Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson. Both have been mentioned in Luke castings on the net - and both are very gifted actors and Hutcherson with that earnest quality about him - but not the energy. Not the energy at all!

Hmm... I'n not a fan of it. Too stylish, too muhc Flash Gordon. And too little farmboy. I expect Luke to be seasoned in Ep VI, but I hope he'll still be recognizable as Luke.

Agreed that handicapped Luke has been abused to death! But in general, I think people seem to be even more critical when Luke's "held back" in some other manner. Few like the BFC-trilogy where Luke's out of the picture for long because he's foucsing on finding his own way for a change. I'm myself critical about his hesitation in the start of NJO, and there seems to be a general consensus that the different delays preventing him from dealing with Lumiya and Jacen in LOTF don't work either. Then in FOTJ he's sent on a lone path, plus meets a ONE plus a tribeful of Sith, but people are still annoyed...I liked FOTJ myself, and thought the Luke-part of it very good, actually.

He did for many yars, but I think it's changed over at least the past 10 years. I think he's accepted Luke Skywalker as apart of his life - plus his success as voice actor have probably tempered his annoyance with the role. After all, while everyone know his as Luke, a lot of people know him as Joker too - and the two roles are about as far from each other as they can come.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah, but I like Flash Gordon! :D

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    It's probably one of the more consistent issues with Luke's character over the decades not to mention one of the more problematic tropes. It's amazing that very few authors have a found a way around injuring/restraining Luke. Sadly I would say FotJ outright kept Luke very toned down and from a story angle I don't understand why.

exactly, Thrawn was a threat due to his mind but he could not outright fight Luke. Luke could be mind controlled by Sidious under certain circumstances and did not have his knowledge of the Force at the time. Jacen had the ability to match Luke in power(over time) and he would do things that Luke would never do which gives Jacen an edge. But instead of building him up to be a consistent threat they kill him off too early. Even Abeloth could have been great since she had more power than any of Luke's other adversaries, but instead they had Luke not use much of his abilities during their fights(just same old saber duels) and the execution on her character and her interest in Luke was much to be desired. I mean she wanted Luke to become a One....and not just any One but the Father of Balance.....and they don't follow up on this ?!??!?! There are ways to have powerful characters use their abilities without it affecting the drama and the investment of the reader to the story.

Ditto.....there must be another son and daughter of Skywalker Also I feel they need to keep Mara intact

while that is true, there has been video games where the original cast has lent their voices. Denis Lawson(Wedge) reprise his character in Rogue Leader, Billy Dee Williams played Lando once again in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Anthony Daniels return in the Force Unleashed, and the TCW video game. So I find it odd that Hamill a voice actor himself did not return to the role aside of parody(Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Simpsons) or the NJO commercial. Also Hamill is no stranger to voicing characters in video games (Wing Commander 3-4, Wolverine's Revenge, and Batman Arkham City). So I remain skeptical.

I have yet to see it, as he has great range but most of the voices he does are eccentric.

no problem, although I'm curious by what you mean by "offended"

I agree, the look of the first draft seems to take too much of the film serial. Thankfully the finished OT films remain unique with attire, the fan art of the older Luke with black jedi robes is pretty much my ideal look for Luke in Episode 7.

here here, it's basically a way of holding Luke back....even though it makes little sense.

I think the part that people are annoyed is more by the constant filler, 9 book format, the execution of the story and also Luke appears relatively toned down in the books. I understand his abilities should be dwarfed by Abeloth but Luke didn't really do anything on the level of Invasion, TUF, DN, BFC, DE, HoT(the mention of him ripping starfleets apart), JS, or even LotF. It's like he didn't give it his all, characterization wise Luke was more consistent then he had been for a while but it seems they have to short change Luke one way or the other

see my response to Child to why I remained skeptical.

25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    we shall see. to me no one else can voice luke properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.