main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    So far I have to agree with you

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Fair enough. ;) But I don't.

I agree. The name is too iconíc to be allowed to die out! Technically, we don't know if daughters carry on the family name in GFFA, but I think it would be strange to see Leia take up the name, even with what we know from ROTJ.

LOL I mean the many times Luke is put out in his very particular way. Like in The Mos Eisly Cantina when Solo think he couldn't fly a ship, when he tries to get Han to rescue the princess, when he teels Han's truning his back to the Rebels at Yavin. Or in the EU where Zahn captures that same thing perfectly when Mara threatens Luke but all Luke can think of is that she can't damage Artoo! He has this amazing mix of earnestness, whine and rightous indignation that few people could copy.

I see what you mean, I think. My own take ion that pic,, however, is pretty much destroyed by the fact that I know a guy who looks almost exactly like that pic, and he's far, far too insular.

3. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well I don't expect Luke's daughter to be married yet in Episode VII, still hence the need for multiple children. The surname still works as it's real world counterpart though with the wife taking the surname of the husband.

True, I like the fact that Luke was willing to sacrifice his life to save his friends in ESB, that despite Yoda and Obi-wan's pleas he would not leave his friends to suffer.

ok how about my avatar then ? Hamill still retains most of his hair color :p

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    You know, for the record, don't take much of what I type, if anything, too seriously. ;) I'm just leaning back, popcorn in my hand and munching.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    but I live on your every word :p

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Considering I have semi-serious plans for a FIM/SW crossover where Luke learns from Celestia and Luna, that's not too good an idea. :p

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    I think the Flash Gordon serial idea was one of Lucas' models for SW, so I don't mind Flash Gordon at all. However, I too hope that Luke will be recognizable as the Luke of the OT, with some of the Farmboy and the earnestness and the energy coupled with some wisdom and humor.

For me, it wasn't only that Luke was out of the action. It was more that Luke wasn't acting like Luke at all. I just don't see Luke Skywalker as a hermit at all!

I definitely agree about that.

Well, as you know, we definitely disagree about this! ;)

MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree. It just doesn't make much sense. At least Luceno unleashed Luke in TUF, but even he gave Luke a serious injury. Luckily, it wasn't a permanent one as I fear the one from Apocalypse may be. :(:mad:

I don't either. I mean, there were COUNTLESS Sith plus Abeloth. It would have been the perfect time to allow Luke to show some of that Skywalker class power.... and there STILL would have been plenty of Sith left! I think the most disappointing part of Apocalypse was that there was no real victory for Luke and the other heroes. There were still tons of Lost SIth and One Sith left at the end... plus Abeloth... plus Ship... plus Krayt. And Coruscant was a mess. What did they accomplish really???

I REALLY hope so. I'd like to keep Mara too, but that's not as important for me as Luke having at least one child.

Hamill did do the first two radio dramas.DO you mean you think he should have done the voice for the audio versions of the books?

Yes, toned down AND out-of-character.

kataja:
    I agree!

MasterSkywalker86:
    I like that too!

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    agreed, although it did have an interesting subplot for Luke. Due to how powerful he became he kept hearing too many voices without properly quieting his mind. I imagine once he already gain the meditation he needed he would have gone back to protecting the galaxy. Also I thought it was great to see Luke building and using his power for peaceful means rather than defense. We need more scenes like that, like imagine if Luke had to rearrange his X-wing squadron in proper order. Easier way of keeping things organized ;)

exactly....they brought so many opportunities yet the closest we get to seeing something Skywalker worthy is where Luke Force grabs 4 sith in Apocalypse and throws them down a pit, and also where Luke reaches a state of oneness where nothing would be able to stand before his Force push at the sith possessed Abeloth in the Jedi Temple. Also freeing Callista's Force spirit from Abeloth was something noticeable. But nothing really was a particular "wow" moment.

I want Luke to have kids, but I really hope Mara is his wife.

No I mean that there have been video games, specifically EU (canon story wise)games where the main cast has lend their voices to reprise their roles. What I find odd is Mark Hamill has not despite being a voice actor and no stranger to voicing video game characters

10. kataja

May 4, 2007
    what hair color? You've changed it :p But yeah, I like that pic of mature Luke better. A bit too good looking, perhaps, but I like his expresison and vitality on it.

I don't see him like a hermit either. Still, I think it was good and realistic that he'd take a time out, to consider his role and life. After all, the EU has took him through a roller coaster with no time to contemplate.

So we do! [:D]

I agree. I like that he pulled back when he felt he couldn't handle things.

I wow-ed at the Callie-thing. I thought it was awesome - not least since Luke had so many emotions involved in that - yet kept them all in check and only concentrared on saving her!

Second that!!!

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    kataja well I figure I needed a change with the avatar ;)

Anywho my previous avatar is pretty much the ideal look for an older Luke. Same goes for the fanart I posted...well at least for me.

As for freeing Callista, that was a wow moment on a different level. More like an emotional "wow" moment then a feat of strength. It was a pretty cool scene, and it was probably in the best book of FotJ.

kataja likes this.
  12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm nearing the end of The Last Command audiobook, and I'm again reminded of how much I love the climax of that book. My favorite part is likely when C'Baoth disables Han and Leia, and in response, Luke completely ignores the disturbance in the Force that his clone is causing, going on the offense and driving him to retreat. The way it's delivered in the audio performance, I get this great image of Luuke being caught completely off guard by the assault, and running away with his tail between his legs. I particularly like the part where Luke is described as giving C'Baoth a gaze "that sent a shiver up Mara's back". If you can make Mara shiver with a look, it's obviously a very scary look. I love this scene because it illustrates Luke's selflessness and nobility, in that he's perfectly willing to give himself up for his family, but he's also a very bad enemy to have, particularly if you try hurting that family.

I also really enjoy the subtle change in Mara's perception in the last chapter. Namely, that she refers to Luke as "Luke", not "Skywalker". A very nice touch.

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    A vírtual complete makeover, huh? ;)

Mine to. But a bit less would do fine too :p

Easiest the best book in FOTJ [face_peace]

I had forgotten about that - yes, it's a great scene! And as you say, it would take something to make Mara shiver :D In fact, I have a feeling the foundations for their future marriage were made in that moment ;)

I remember I was very worried for a moment, that he'd go make the same mistake he was close to do at the Death Star when Leia was threatened. But then he basically changed in an eyebeat, choosing nobly instead. I was still a bit confused, though - I guess I never quite bought C'Baoth as such a terrible opponent - not why Mara was completely limp so long - and suddenly could fight again, I suppose the visualization of that scene didn't quite work out for me. But I agree completely that Luke's noble heart is shown perfectly here, not least as we see it through Mara's eyes!

It is. And not least since she still calls him 'Skywalker' when talking to him. :p

So, has anyone read the newest comic issue yet? I wait for it eagerly - I know it's come out in the states, but while we often get the books well in advance, the comics are apparently delayed:mad:

14. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:
    Which would have been okay. I got the impression though that Luke wasn't sure he would ever leave the hermitage and rejoin the galaxy. And that outfit that he was wearing that was made up of a patchwork of old clothing, including the old pilot's uniform, gave me the impression that Luke was a bit "unhinged". I definitely didn't like the whole idea. It wasn't Luke to cut himself off from everyone and everything; nor was it like him to be so selfish as to "hide" from his duties and his responsibilities.

I like your new avatar, MS!

Oh, I definitely do too!

Oh, okay... Maybe he was never asked?

kataja:
    As I said above though, it didn't seem to be a "time out to reconsider his role and life" though. It seemed more like a "getting away from it all", possibly permanently. And the fact that he was wearing that stupid robe didn't help to make it seem like Luke was taking a rational "sabbatical", but more like he was going a bit nuts and was trying to hide from his family, friends, life, and responsibilities.

It was a little chilling and disturbing though. Did Luke save her or did Luke actually cause her true death?

instantdeath:
    I liked that part too.

Yes, and her later use of "Skywalker" was no longer sarcastic or mean-spirited, but an affectionate name for a man she loved and respected..

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    a much needed change if I do say so myself ;) you should try :p

the image on the comic was pretty cool as well. I also love the fact that nothing would get in Luke's way when his family is in danger. You can even see that in DN.

yeh the execution was way off. What was even the purpose of dressing as a hobo ?!?!!? The plot arc though has potential for Luke if given in competent hands. Thank you I like the avatar as well.

I doubt that as he was already voice acting since the late 80's/ early 90's and made a name for himself. He also voice acted in the Lucasarts game Full Throttle.

no Luke saved her. He actually release her from the damnation that was Abeloth.

makes me want to go back reading again ;)

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, yeah. it has been a bit since I've read the Thrawn Trilogy. Might do good to give it another spin.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    best to read the HoT duology afterwards as well

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    And then segue right into the YJK. :)

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    with a nice side story with SQ ;)

20. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Yo all, sorry for the abrupt and lengthy disappearing-act. Been kinda trying not to be depressed about the whole Episode VII probable impending doom thing.

Any actually good news Luke-wise lately?

kataja likes this.
  21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Look at it this way Dew, the films have the potential to reboot all the damage Del-Rey has done in the last decade. To counter that all of Bantam's work could be nix, but I think it's very possible that the films will borrow/keep what are the most popular aspects of EU...Mara, Thrawn etc.

anywho GL all but confirm that the original cast is returning to the ST So hopefully Hamill will get in shape for the role(would like it if he did some sword fighting). Also you have Episode 7 in the competent hands of Abrams and Ardnt who respect the OT and will be using it as a template for the movie. Hopefully they'll get Luke down.

there is a chance that the next animated series will take place in the New Republic era. Also the Brian Wood comic is faring well, although there is a minor debate on how Luke is being handled in it.

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Only that Mark Hamill will be in Episode VII, and that's ambiguously good news at best, depending on how you feel about the films.

Ninja'd.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh, also something that may be of interest, the "Rebel" series of book will, naturally, have one devoted to Luke Skywalker. Personally, I'm most excited for the Han book, because of the author, but I've heard good things about the author of the Luke book, too. He's supposed to be really good at writing fun, light hearted urban fantasy adventure books, which sounds like something the EU could use. Of course, it will star young Luke, not the Jedi Master Luke that most of the thread regulars probably want to see more of.

24. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Hey, any actually well written Luke sounds good to me! [face_laugh]

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Seems like there is a major push for ANH era Luke till we have more definite news on the ST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.