main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks, dewback. *Turns to Han* Hi, kid. :p

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    *Chewie impression* "GROWL!" :)

Glad to hear there is another SOS regular with a October birthday.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Make it another. Mine's in October as well. :D

4. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
  5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    no way ...I'm on the 4th, when is yours ?

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Mine's the 17th.

7. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    29th here.

There was this one year in middle school I ate enough cake on my birthday and enough candy on Halloween I had a sugar rush going for like three days. Then I crashed pretty badly but hey, it was hilarious while it lasted. [face_laugh]

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    we pretty much round out the month :p

If Child's or JB's is on October I'll start getting paranoid [face_hypnotized] :p

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    it really foreshadow how they would handle Luke throughout the years, shock value death like that with Chewie and they were surprise with fan outrage. I don't advocate death threats to publishers or authors but I think if the bulk of your fans are making that much of an uproar on one of your decisions then you might be doing something wrong. I can tell you now that the ST will bring back that Wookiee.

Krayt was draining both Luke and Abeloth from a far, Krayt wasn't in the fight directly with Abeloth as Luke was but they both ended up with the same wounds in the end.

Agreed, the question now is will Disney hired the same authors who have written for the EU before, I hope they get a hint that there shouldn't only be just 3 authors writing one particular era. Taylor, Stover, and JJM should get first dibs for writing Luke Jedi Knight series.

It also begs the question, will Disney keep the publisher ? I believe it's rumored that Marvel will be taking over from DH since Disney owns it. I don't know who's Disney's regular publisher for books.

10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Darth_Pevra:
    I hated that scene. Not only did Mara not show any grief, she also screamed at her husband for grieving/being angry that Anakin had been killed. She yelled at Luke in front of a roomful of Jedi too and then took over the meeting, making Luke look like an idiot. It would be sort of like the first lady yelling at the President in front of the cabinet members and then taking over for him. :(

Plus, if Luke being upset could affect Ben who was half a galaxy away, what about Aunt Leia, who was almost catatonic and in the same building WITH Ben at the time? It made no sense at all!

Grand Admiral Crumb :
    I think the Jedi of the Old Republic were wrong to forbid marriage and families. It wasn't love or a relationship or attachments that caused problems, in my opinion. It was unhealthy obsessive, possissive attachments and inabliity to let go of a loved one that caused the problems. I'm glad that Luke has allowed the Jedi in his Order to marry and have families, and I'm *really* hoping that we will see married Jedi with families in the ST too.

You're also right that if the Jedi aren't allowed to have children, they would eventually no longer have people who had enough midichlorians to use the Force, become Jedi and become Jedi. The Jedi could become extinct, as it nearly did after Order 66.

Jedi Ben:
    EXACTLY!!! He had valid reason for being angry, and it wasn't like he was shooting Force lightning around at everyone! He was being human and having a very human reaction to the death of a beloved nephew. If Luke wouldn't have been angry and grieving, THEN I would have been worried about him!

MasterSkywalker86:
    And the way that she says it now is an endearmeant rather than the sarcastic way she said it before.

I agree!

Yes, that's the way I pretty much feel about it too. Mara was wrong to chastise Luke for being human and feeling genuine human emotions. If Luke would have acted on that anger and hurt or killed someone, THEN it would have been darkside. But for Luke to just to be human and feel grief and anger over the loss of Anakin was NOT wrong and not a problem, in my opinion.

Darth Pevra:

EXACTLY! And I agree that Luke pretty much has this part down. He does allow himself to feel emotions, but he doesn't let them control him.

More tomorrow....

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I must admit that is the main reason why I don't like their marriage so far. Sometimes it seems like Mara controls all his decisions and downright dominates him and that doesn't appeal to me at all. I want Luke to be happy!

In my fantasy Luke is married to a down to earth doctor with sharp tongue who is rather laid back and doesn't interfere with Lukes Jedi order. He is the Jedi master, he should get to make the calls.

Mara may be trained in the force, but she has the mindset of an assassin.

VanishingReality likes this.
  12. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I'm not at the point where Luke and Mara start dating yet- but right now I kind of ship her with Lando. A gambler/assassin seem like they'd be an interesting pair that would make more sense than Jedi/assassin.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    KJA, is that you? :p

As far as I'm aware, the closest Luke and Mara get to a date is nearly dying together.

From what I've heard, that's averted somewhat in The Unifying Force.

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Yeh TUF and even DN demonstrate when Mara will follow Luke's decisions to the letter, both scenes are pretty heartfelt as Mara doesn't want Luke to face the big bad alone both times.

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I liked the JAT and a lot of KJA's work in Star Wars.

VanishingReality likes this.
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll admit that after reading his Dune stuff it's impossible for me to look at any of KJA's stuff without bias. Still, I can admit he writes a page turner, even if I have tons of problems with his characterizations and absurd plotlines

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah, never read any Dune stuff.

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Eh, I could live without KJA's books. He makes Luke too much of a spiritual passive introvert that doesn't sit well with me especially after DE

kataja likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Not to mention is Luke is remarkably stupid and incompetent. Same goes for Han, as well, In the Thrawn trilogy, it's easy to see why Han was a successful general, and why so many would be willing to put their lives in his hands. In JAT, he can barely take care of himself. Luke, at least, is completely new to the concept of teaching, but even so, he don't wing it particularly well.

VanishingReality and kataja like this.
  20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The duel with Gantoris and the indifference Luke show to the situation just threw me off, after being with Palpatine so long you would think Luke would be on alert when his students start showing signs of falling to the DS. Also KJA in an interview thought Luke was asexual in the OT, obviously he and I didn't see the same trilogy.

kataja and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I agree completely about that heroeine type! But I must say I think Mara's the same as Leia here. Also, she's got some severe malfunctions from childhood to overcome. But at the end of VOTF she states rightout that her priotiries in life are a mess due to her unability to open up emotionally - and that she wants to learn to open up - and she wants to learn it from Luke. This is very much a proof of how much she trusts and loves him!

Agree completely she's written all over the place! Most authors make her that snappy stereotype - and very few have been able to write her interaction with him well. Usually htey make her look far too dominant, probably because kind man + snappy career woman automatically seemt to = a male doormat. Her yelling at Luke when Anakin dies is one example of it. This is so wrong, though! Luke is perfectly able to hold his own - and one of the reasons why Mara is so harsh with him in VOTF is because she feels the Great Jedi Master hasn't paid her enough attention = she's perfectly aware that his position is well earned. Also, Mara is loyal to the bone, first to Palpatine, then to Karrde - and finally to Luke. She's strongwilled but not dominant - she's never wanted front position but always been happier in the shadows. I think if ýou disregard the obvious clichées that get heaped on her, she's a very interesting character - and her reationship with Luke a very soudnd one, where they acknowledhe each others shortcomings and complement each other.

And I see her calling Luke "Skywalker" exactly as an acknowledgement of this: when she uses it, she basically says: hey - bear over with me, I still need a break from this closeness from time to time.

Another female stereotype: woman= emotional

Yeah - it's... incredible he can get this idea! Just take a look at Mark Hamill in ANH. Asexual??? 8-}

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    how do you know how old the character is?? Because Harrison Ford was 35 in ANH.

23. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    kataja In KJA's defense, once Leia is turned into Luke's sister, he doesn't have a love interest throughout the entire trilogy. Though Lucas' fault was making her the only female character with more than a minute's worth of screen-time.

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Problem is you have two other movies where Luke had a crush on the sister he didn't know he had....this does not translate to Luke being asexual. Lucas sadly didn't include another love interest in the films

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, who'd have thought a mick-taking generalisation would have led to such an interesting discussion?

kataja likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.