main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Oh wow I forgot that we will get to see Vader on the Telly. I hope we get to see him and Sidious be the most powerful sith we know them to be. Luke's importance depends on it ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I want to see Vader use his muscle and his brain. Whenever he appears it should be of devastating consequence to the heroes. I really hope Filoni doesn't turn him into a joke villain like Grievous or Dooku.

3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    For all purposes, Vader was the devil as well. The only difference was that Luke still felt good in Vader. Palpatine didn't have enough good in him as to be a target for redemption.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Yesssss!!!!! Everything should be "impressive, most impressive" or "good you're hate has made you powerful". Vader has to be shown as both unstoppable powerful monster and brilliant leader. There is a reason why Vader was the scourge of the jedi and rebels. No for should ever defeat him save for his son and the emperor

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Exactly. When he appears, death should be imminent. If the good guys get away too often his scariness is reduced. Therefore it might be necessary to use him sparingly.

I guess Maul and imperial Officers could do the main legwork. Vader is probably to busy to deal with someone like Ahsoka personally (unless he makes time for her because he still cares for her, which is possible).

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :

I must say that I am extremely disappointed in this news! :(:mad:For me, this is very bad news. :( I was really, really hoping that we'd get to see an animation series involving Luke. I was especially hoping that we'd get to see some early adventures of Luke and his Jedi Order serving on missions and solving problems in the galaxy. The ST will likely take place at least 30 years after RotJ, and I wanted to see Luke actively involved in the galaxy and building his Jedi Order, as all of that will likely have happened well before the start of Episode VII. I was even hoping that they might adapt some of the EU stories.

We already saw Anakin involved in the Clone wars cartoon. Anakin/Vader has more than had his time to be the focus. This should be Luke's chance to shine. :(

And I DO NOT want to have any Jedi active in the galaxy or in the Rebellion during the time that Luke appears on the scene or shortly before. Having other Jedi alive and active at this time makes Luke less important. And I truly don't want to see Ashoka at all.

Very, very disappointed!

kataja:
    I completely agree, K! I too don't believe that Sidious discovered who Luke was until after he felt that great disturbance in the Force as Luke started to train on Dagobah. I don't think he figured out who Luke was right after Luke destroyed the Death Star. Sidious very likely wanted that pilot dead for destroying his toy, but I don't think he realized after the Death star battle that not only was that pilot very Force -sensitive, but also Anakin's son, Luke Skywalker.

Darth_Pevra:
    I think Luke was needed too.

Iron_lord :
    I agree. Luke even said the same thing during that briefing on Yavin IV. The guy next to him said that it would be impossible to hit a two meter target, but Luke told him that he used to target wamprats on Tatooinne and that they weren't more than two meters. So Luke certainly believed it was possible. While it certainly wasn't an easy task, there was a low possibility that it might be done. Obviously, the chances were small or Han wouldn't have said that Luke's shot was "One in a million". Luckily though, Luke was able to use the Force to give him an extra edge.

And even it was a "one in a million chance", it was the only chance they had and they needed to take it or Yavin IV would have been blown to bits as well as other world after it.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Yes, that's the way it seemed to me too.

Right. He sacrificed himself for Luke because he knew that Luke was their hope of defeating Vader and the Emperor.

More another time....

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Two things, my guess is since Episode 7 is still being worked on, it would limit the tv creators on what they could do until Episode 7 is finally complete and have all the facts. I believe the script is still being worked on. Rebels is one of a couple of shows coming to disney that can be done without that limitation. The next thing is I have no doubt there will be a New Republic series that will lead up from Episode 6-7 but it'll come out later, and Rebels can make Disney money now, at least they got two good creators on the show.

agreed, I think we should only see jedi being hunted by Vader. Although I wonder if its possible to see a farmboy Luke on Rebels.

agreed.

The same could be said of Vader when he sacrifice himself, knowing that Sidious would rise again. He knew his son would be the only one to stop him and finish what he started

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO they should avoid that, unless we're talking about a brief cameo or something. ANH should remain Luke's first major adventure as it appears to be in the film.

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think they want to answer these questions in the ST and not before. An animation series that starts in 2014 would spoil what happens with Leia, Han and Luke and diminish anticipation for the movies.

Actually we Vader fans have now waited since RotJ for the screen return of the character we love. This pathetic guy in RotS isn't Vader, he has a completely different personality. There are the comics with him, but rarely do we get a look into his psyche.

10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I was thinking more of something with him on Tatooine, either avoiding Sand people, his friendship with Biggs, swoop racing, or maybe interacting with Ben. I would say it would probably be nothing but a one off episode nothing grandiose but I think the episode would kind of summarize Luke's time before ANH to a T. I think it could probably start off as a Biggs flashback. Assuming he's in the show

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    How can it do that if it's set before Episode IV? :confused:

I guess I actually wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of the old Marvel comic "Crucible"... [face_thinking]

12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Just to emphasize, I'm not faulting Luke. I think he knew better than to try with Sidious. If you read Darth Plaguies you see tht Sidious was never good even when he was young.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Arawn_Fenn, please provide some context for the uninitiated my good man :) there are a few Star Wars Tales that show a couple of farm boy exploits on the Dune Sea that would translate well on the TV screen

VanishingReality likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Sold on the premise :D I also would like to see Sandstorm of Star Wars Tales

16. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    When it comes to Lucas' statements, I think we should remember one important thing: Lucas made the PT after a break of sixteen years - and he got so much crap for it! I think he was desillusioned a second time (first time after ROTJ when his marriage was wrecked and the movie didn't qute go as planned either) and decided he wouldn't do the sequels, despite having planned them all along. Therefore, he had tofigure out a way to explain the saga as it looked with only the PT and OT. It wasn't the way he'd planned, but he tried to make it work, at least until he realized he might get someone else to make the ST.

See my post above. And I don't think he likes the PT more than the OT - it's just the story that has occupied him of late. Also, from a fan's POV it's irritating taht we don't get what we want - then again, George Lucas isn't a performance artist who interacts with his audience. He's an independent stoyr- and moviemaker, for good and for bad. He has an original idea in his head that he tries to get out - just like so many other writers.

Agreed completely.Thumbs up for integrity!

Thank you for getting back to topic! And agreed completely. This is a misunderstanding from the writer's side. Luke could dream of a situation like this - but there would simply be a 'perhaps' present in his thoughts!

Yes, it's very annoying. And making those Jedi look bad too, I think, for not joining forces and DO something! As fra as Olin, though, he dies before he can help training Luke. But I don't know about Kota. He's completely abesnt in all Luke's stories, but still he's not suppsoed t be dead?

Dunno. I think the launch of Starkiller too, was annoing as far as Luke's concerned. When we see ANH, we get the idea that they Jedi have been gone - yet tehre was supposwedly two among them just before! o_O

I SO agree. Though I must say that the problem can't be quite set to any particular time. Neither in GFFA time of real time. In realtime we get awesome Luke stories like Mindor, and alos in FOTJ he's ready to do what's necessary - yet we get stories like Choises of One taht's set in 0 ABY where he can't take a step without worrying...

Heard!!! Heard!!!

There IS one way I could see her return, f.ex for the ST, and that would be if they use the rather small plotidea we're thrown in FOTJ - all the carbonite figures under Daala's Palace (whatever that builing is called). If we'd assume Vader caught his padawan and froze her down -a nd then rounded up other surviving Jedi - then we could have a pretty interesting situation. Also, Daala could have gotten them with her when she left for the Maw - and didn't return with them before she shows up in JAT. Then she could have hidden them somewhere, only to bring them to Coruscant when she became Chief of State...[face_batting]

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't think that's true. Harrison Ford I think once said that Han Solo only survived because "dead Han action figures" don't sell well. A lot of his decisions seem to be geared at making as much profit as possible, artistic integrity be damned. Aayla was probably also stuffed into AOTC because of fanservice - it doesn't make much sense for a Jedi to wear sexy clothes like that, especially in battle.

Aside from that I don't think an artist should sit in his ivory tower and not listen to what others have to say. Only through feedback can you become better at your craft. Of course changing everything as the fans demand isn't good either because this means no original vision was there in the first place. But usually some compromise can be found. This of course is only my opinion, take it or leave it.

18. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Agreed absolutely about feedback. But I think fans in general is too mixed a lot for that. As for action figures, there's no doubt that Lucas strived hard to make so much money that he could be independent from the studios. Also, I think RoTJ is Lucas' weakest moment when comes to integrity. I think he made several bad desicions there. As for the PT, I don't care that muhc about them them, personally, but I do thnk they are pretty much what Lucas intended them to be.

But I'm not sure that Harrison Ford's comments should be taken too seriously. He was ok fed up with SW in ROTJ and has basicly been that ever since. I also think that part reason why Han wasn't killed because Lucas wanted to hold on to the light spirit of the OT.

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    kataja, you simply keep insisting that FotJ will be a part of the ST :p . Well I wouldn't mind if Ashoska pops up and talks to Luke after Episode 6 depending if Vader doesn't kill her. Anywho K, I think the reason some of us are ticked at Lucas is due to most of his comments around the time of PT release seem to diminish the accomplishments of the OT. I don't think it was intentional on his part but more he got caught up with the hype of the PT. I figure something more consistent will happen with the ST.

Darth_Pevra, I was never convinced that killing Solo would have been a good choice for RotJ. Most fault Jedi for ewoks and the 2nd Death Star, yet the film did those scenes competently. I guess it will always surprise me when people say it's the weakest out of OT, which is basically 1 film. I dunno what's the fate for the big 3 in ST but I would prefer they all lived to the end for ST. They more than well deserved it, the fact we are expecting their deaths means the writers will play with our expectations.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For me, the reasons why Lucas got so much flak over the PT is simple:

Being kind, a lot of it was utter rubbish. Being more critical, it just wasn't really all that thought out in terms of Anakin Skywalker - at no point does it really seem like he had a cat in hell's chance of not falling to the dark side and in order for the tragedy to work, that's needed! This is where the EU Clone Wars comics really amped things up, they gave me a flawed Anakin I could back and be interested in, they do a great job of selling the Anakin-Obiwan bond.

Then there's trying to graft on an overall meaning for the 6 films - that was dumb hubris. PT as the fall of civilisation and the OT as the defeat of the Empire works just fine, nothing else needed. Plus trying to retroactively spin Darth Vader, a character that regularly tops greatest villain ever polls, as a prophesied hero figure was doomed to failure.

If Lucas wants to focus on all the negative stuff over TPM and AOTC, mostly deserved, he can but he also got a great deal of plaudits over ROTS. Arguably had the rest of the PT been executed in such a full on style, he likely would have got far less grief!

And yeah, it does undercut the heroes quite a bit! For all the talk of Anakin killing the Emperor and bringing balance to the Force (whatever that means), watch ROTJ again. Vader/Anakin takes his sweet time deciding while his son's being fried right in front of him!

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    MasterSkywalker86
    I don't mind he survived. But if Ford says his character only survived because of action figures this tells us a lot about Lucas thought process.

In the ST I hope one of the big three dies because right now they have these huge character shields that remind me a bit of comic superheroes.

Not sure about the PT. Aayla was blatant fanservice and there were some other things that seemed to be in the movies for purpose of making toys. Maybe this always happens when someone is tasked with overseeing both the making of movies and the financial aspects. Which is why I don't really buy into the claim that Lucas did all those things (like meddling with the OT) to preserve his artistic vision.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    @ Jedi Ben

Vader might be my favorite fictional character of all time (bar my own characters) and even I don't want him turned into a Jesus like figure. I also completely agree about Vader taking his sweet time in RotJ. Some fans I think underestimate his evil in that movie

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    His conversation with Luke, before Luke attacks and chops his (artificial) hand off, did rather drip malice:

"So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you do not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will..."

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Even when Anakin dies there still is evil in the galaxy, hell the Imperial forces that survive surely want revenge. Anakin had one part to play but so did Luke

Darth_Pevra, I think there is way to tell a good story even with those character shields. Killing off the big 3 doesn't seem it would have the impact it would have 20 years ago IMO

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Probably. But Star Wars is modeled after mythic stories and in there characters usually die in droves. In both OT and PT some quite important characters died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.