main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, the Vong thing was inconsistent. Its sort of the typical progression from when fiction introduces a brand new enemy- at first they're unstoppable! Then eventually they're a challenge, then they're cannon fodder. Vong can't be mind-tricked or sensed, and I thought the precognition Jedi used to deflect blaster bolts didn't work against the Vong, but was never sure how long it lasted. Since by the end they were deflecting, what was it, thud bugs and razor bugs. Was never sure if they could use the Force to sense where to deflect those shots or all the Jedi had gotten used to using the Force to enhance their senses enough to block the Vong equivalent of blaster bolts. Or how Luke could take on quite a few slayers at the end. Or how voduun crab armor was lightsaber resistant, I think? So the Jedi just learned to go for the joints. Reminds me of a scene from a KotOR comic where it turns out even the regular troops' armor was lightsaber resistant so the attacking Jedi just want for limbs and joints and such.

Congrats on catching up CoW.

I'd prefer the Rebel series not touch Luke. After how TCW went, the less contact Rebels has with the rest of the Star Wars universe, the better. Sort of like how despite how stupid TFU is, not sure anyone references it. Not like any of the recent reference sources have had something like Mon Mothma or Bel Iblis reflecting on how wonderful Starkiller was. Well, the Warfare guide referenced the game but only in vague terms, so that was fine.

Also, sadly, Luke was basically stuck on Tatooine so there's only so much you can do with that. Short of, say, memory wipes every time he's off-planet to fit in with old quotes of Luke saying he's never been off-Tatooine or something. Heck, that was the excuse they used for when Daala showed up in the Death Star novel, despite how in the JAT she said she hadn't left the Maw since its construction, but a little convenient brain damage and no continuity problems. I even remember this one comic where Luke helped save a shuttle, but then it barely landed and he never made it to a moon or something.

Dragonsnakes is really the only really young Luke story I love. Mainly because it taught a lesson and Luke was learning. The Empire/Rebellion comic series were ok, but still way too young, naive Luke for me. Although Luke might cameo in the upcoming Kenobi novel, based on who the author is, I have high hopes for that novel, set during Obi-wan's years on Tatooine. Just as long as it doesn't involve Kenobi leaving Tatooine that much, its always kind of silly for him to be able to rush off for a secret mission or two, even if Qui-gon's spirit says he can keep an eye on Luke. But then the young adult books haven't been helping the Dark Times continuity consistency much either (Ferus Olin, Alderaan's sister planet, that kind of stuff).

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And I feel he's right about that. Anakin in the movies only risks his life in AOTC or ROTS when the life of friends is at stake. He is also a mass murderer beginning in AOTC.

It's why I prefer TCW Anakin. There we can see the Anakin who was Obi-Wans "good friend".

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    DP,

For me the Clone Wars stuff DHC produced 2002-2005 did a lot of good stuff with Anakin and one of the smartest tales done, in terms of what it did and consequences is the Battle of Jabiim. It was in Clone Wars Volume 3, probably the first Clone Wars Omnibus now.

For Vader, do you know of the Tank epic? No? It's collected here:

Empire: In The Shadows Of Their Fathers
    Empire: The Wrong Side of the War
    Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy

Again, probably available in Omnibus form too.

What's smart about it? The first Empire story, In The Shadows Of Their Fathers, has Luke dealing with Anakin's actions on Jabiim 20-odd years earlier. It's a really smart use of continuity.

The Tank epic also has some great use of Vader too.

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    danger sense still works as it always did, although the question is if the user is quick enough to act on it. also Luke early on could sense the gravity vortex effects of a dovin basal, just not the basal itself. So I imagine sensing the wind properties of the thudbugs being hurled at you could be detected

Tatooine has sand people, sarlacc pits, beggar's canyon, and krayt dragons. I imagine one or two stories can be told about a younger Luke on Tatooine

he also was selfless as a young kid too, but yeah TCW did a much better job of humanizing Anakin.

VanishingReality likes this.
  5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :
    That might actually be what I was remembering...

JediMatteus :
    Yes, his very existence diminishes Luke's importance and uniqueness.

I have no idea, and I don't know why more people don't seem annoyed by this. The way that you need to do it is very cumbersome and time-consuming, and I'm still not exactly how to do it.

Nobody145:
    Right, especially since he had difficulty with just a couple of regular Vong in that Stackpole book in which Luke saved Jacen using two lightsabers. I guess the explanation for the difference is probably because Luke wasn't using the full power of the Force during that scene because he thought it might lead to the darkside. By the end of the series though, Luke realized using the full power of the Force wasn't wrong or dark.

Thanks! It took a while!

I suppose you're right, but I have wanted a series about Luke and his Jedi knights going out on "regular" missions throughout the galaxy, solving problems; negotiating problems; and helping wherever needed.

Yes, I remember that one too.

It's one of my favorites too. I wish that Tom Taylor would write Luke more often. He likes the character and "gets" the character, and it shows wonderfully!

If Luke appears in the Kenobi novel, that would be great!

Darth_Pevra :
    That's good. I feel he's right about that too.

Jedi Ben:
    That was a good story. I liked the Tank arc too, but I'm disappointed that it didn't seem to conclude really, and they never wrote another Tank story to give it a satisfying ending...

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't find this cumbersome at all.... or hard to remember

produced by

[hl=black] I don't find this cumbersome at all.... or hard to remember [/hl]

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion. I know the Clone Wars Comics and do like Anakin in there. He is more tense warrior than whiny teenager in them.

In the Shadows of their Fathers happens to be one of my favorite comic arcs period. Superb story, really worth a read.

But no matter which version of Anakin you prefer, he was never as good a Jedi as his son was.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, quite agree - but without Anakin having some good aspects, the tragedy just doesn't work as well in ROTS.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I figured the Jedi had learned to tune their other reflexes to figure out how to deflect Vong attacks, so that's partially adapting to the enemy and partially just to move things along, sort of like how by the end of the war, both the Vong and GA had adapted their tech to match the other, to get around the unusual dovin basals, yammosk coordinators, etc.

And while Luke's life on Tatooine wasn't completely quiet, for a series named Rebels, its not like we can see Luke joining a Rebel cell on Tatooine. There could be opportunities for side stories, but... well, many of TCW's side stories turned out odd, to say the least. Such as that one where Threepio and Artoo ran into fairies, or the far worse D-squad arc. You'd think a group made up of astromechs would be awesome, the problem is the pit droid with the attitude and arrogant frog officer they got stuck with. Then again, most people don't seem able to use astromechs well. Or droids in general. Not sure why, probably because they can't talk, Chewie had the same problem (and look at what they did to Chewie), and guess droids are also easy fodder, not being organic. Which is one of the reasons I love the current Legacy comic so much, they've got an assassin droid as part of the main cast, at least for the initial arc, and a pro-peace one, praising the era with the Jedi as one of the most peaceful.

And yeah, Anakin was flawed from the beginning. There are signs of greatness, of likability, and if he had grown up in a peaceful galaxy, he probably would have been a troublemaker Jedi, probably even more of an outlier than Qui-gon was (well-respected, but too unorthodox to be on the Jedi Council, not that Qui-gon cared about joining the Council rather than helping people), but even until the end of the Clone Wars, Obi-wan's influence held him in check a good deal. He wasn't a very good Jedi, but he did want to help people. Which is why Obi-wan's "death" on Jabiim really shook Anakin and the extended separation didn't' help Anakin's stability. The RotS novel touches on it more, that Anakin had already crossed over the line from concerned to obsessed and possessive, though it got much worse after he received his official Darth title. Relatively unique circumstances like dreaming about his mother's death and only arriving in time to see her die, after being beaten to death by Tuskans, didn't help. Not that it excuses his fall, but Anakin did go through the hell of the Clone Wars and grew up with Palpatine whispering in his ear. The old Clone Wars microseries showed a heroic Anakin too- flawed and crazy, but one who would look like a hero of the Clone Wars. TCW... well, sometimes Anakin did appear mature while teaching Ahsoka. This lessened towards the end as the emphasis moved over to Ahsoka even more. Sadly Ahsoka probably ended up driving Anakin away from the Jedi even more (not intentionally, but still).

Speaking of the teacher-student thing, I wouldn't mind seeing Luke have another student. Its been a long time since he was basically a teacher at at boarding school for potential Jedi on Yavin 4, and Luke's been so busy leading the war effort (of one war or another), he's been more Grandmaster than actual Master. Yoda was great in that he was shown handling the younglings a good deal, but Luke's NJO doesn't have that much yet. And no, I don't really count Ben as a student much, since when they finally started spending time together it was more like Luke was the strike team leader (when they attacked Caedus in Fury, when Luke led the Jedi to the Roche asteroid belt while Jaina went to fight Caedus, etc.) and Ben was a member of special forces rather than teacher student, and barely father son. FotJ started out as a family road trip (minus Mara of course) but then it switched back to the roaming special forces model once things got serious. And while I was glad to see more progress in Luke's quest to find out what was wrong when he encountered Abeloth in Abyss, things didn't really progress past that point for five books (brief fights with Abeloth, random Sith, Abeloth runs away, repeated for at least four, five times), so I wish they could have kept the family road trip atmosphere for longer.

Luke lost Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, and Ben Kenobi shortly after that, but his life was still simpler. Up until he destroyed the Death Star, he was still a relatively anonymous Rebel/freedom fighter. He wants to make a difference but didn't have the opportunity. Well, it helps that Luke was still a farmboy whereas Anakin was already a podracer at age 10, but still, its always hard to tell how much to chalk up to character or nature. Luke even ran with a good crowd, as Biggs defected as soon as he could and even Tank still considered himself an ethical person. Too bad that storyline didn't quite conclude, but then the "Imperial with a conscience" story has also already been done plenty of times. The Luke on Jabiim arc is still really quite good too, probably one of my favorite. Sadly the current Star Woods series isn't doing anything groundbreaking with Luke either. Invasion was good, even if it didn't really fit with the original NJO, but I still prefer Invasion Luke to nagging Luke of Legacy (Cade is probably my least favorite Skywalker next to Jacen... well, I still tolerate Cade fine next to that failure Jacen).

10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    When questioning whether or not Luke should appear in Rebels we definitely need to keep in mind that as of A New Hope he did indeed want to join the Imperial Navy. Not to say he couldn't get a hint here or there, some kind of foreshadowing, but I personally think its best he stay out of it for the most part.

Child of Winds In terms of Luke completing his training yes Brakiss was very wrong, as it was noted that Luke did complete it. Yet as he also noted during the time and Luke himself has many times throughout the years, it wasn't the most "complete" form of training. A few weeks, even with Yoda himself, simply isn't enough time to learn everything that a Jedi Master knows. This came back to haunt Luke a few times as he was left scrambling on his own and required to recreate the Jedi from nearly scratch.

I don't think Luke's the only Jedi that has to face the darkness every single day, simply one of the most prominent. And even there's not a problem with that in theory, it simply shouldn't be nearly as big a deal later in life. And it isn't! That's the problem, it's been shown at various instances that he doesn't have to struggle with the darkness as he did in his youth, though he's still not arrogant enough to believe he's immune to it. The problem comes about during times like LOTF when authors will write him as if he's still a 20 year old being caught up in his basest passions at anytime. Writing wise it makes no sense and can't be chalked up to anything more than the fault of the author.

It just seems to me that another YJK series is the logical way to go with Ben's character. He benefits by getting more people in his own circle, as well as more of a focus on him. The mythos benefits as new characters are created for people to love and/or hate, and we therefore get hundreds of new possibilities for stories. There's really no downside. It wouldn't even be taking that much of a focus off the Skywalker/Solo Clan if that's what Del Rey wants to push forward. Ben would still be there, his other family members would still make appearances every now and again, but we'd also be able to see things from a different view. One of the great things about the YJK Series is that it wasn't necessarily dealing with the big galaxy wide problems that Luke, Han and Leia usually do, because the main characters were only teens, it dealt with smaller problems that threatened them.

Force Unleashed really is just one of those things that shouldn't have been made, at least as nothing more than an imaginary tale. Causes too many problems, brings up too many questions, and diminishes the importance of the OT characters.

And on the whole Vong/Force relationship, it really was too hazy, with some people treating it differently than others. For example, in Traitor Jacen attacks some Vong and Vergere with Force Lightning, and describes how it hits Vergere, then actually moves around the Vong and his her again and again, in a type of loop. This is contradicted in Destiny's Way and The Unifying Force. In the first, Jacen again uses Force Lightning against the Vong and it works without a problem. The second has Luke saying he'd have no problem levitating a Vong if he wanted to, but that he merely couldn't sense him, and he later uses his patented "green sparks" against some Vong when getting ready to face Shimmra

Nobody145 I agree completely with you on Anakin. He wasn't the perfect Jedi by any means, but he also wasn't always the complete monster that is Darth Vader. One of the main goals I think of the Clone Wars was to specifically separate Anakin from Padme from long periods of time so that he would end up growing obsesses, as well as placing him in situations where that obsession could grow (He developed a keen need to further control his surroundings and a need to save everyone, both of which he felt he could've done more efficiently at various times if he had more power) The war was like a well oiled machine that fueled his darker passions. What has to be realized is that Palpatine was pretty much working on him from the start, from the shadows, without anyone else's knowledge. Anakin's transformation to Vader didn't happen overnight (Though if you only watch the movies it can feel like that), it was carefully planned and implemented for a little over a decade.

Also agree, it's been a long time since we've really seen Luke in that teacher role. What i'd love to especially see would be him taking on another Apprentice, but one that isn't related to him in any way. They were important to be sure, but him specifically choosing Jacen and Anakin as Apprentices reeks of favoritism. Considering his age though it may be too late for him to do the one on one thing, so therefore i'd still love to see him just spending some time around the temple teaching students and passing on his wisdom. At various times Jedi of the new order have cited pieces of Luke's life or his lessons, but we're never shown him actually talking about them or teaching them to these people. That's something that should change. Like Yoda and Obi-Wan before him, Luke's not only a warrior, but a teacher as well. And he himself has always seemed more interested in that path than anything else.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is though, training of any kind is never the entirety of it, it is, at best, an introduction to the general principles and ideas and how to use them, it will never be complete!

DarthJenari likes this.
  12. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Very true. And to be clear, i'm not faulting Luke in any way. Simply pointing out that he by no means had the best training that he could have. He gets by a lot on raw talent alone, which I think should be noted as it tells how amazingly skilled he is.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    DarthJenari, Actually he wanted to join the Imperial Academy.... To train in flight school but not join the Imperials.Think of the academy as a general university for flight majors ;) I think Biggs(who also went to the academy) later told him about joining up with the Rebels in a deleted scenes and he would pick up Luke when he was ready. Otherwise Luke telling Obiwan he hates the Empire doesn't make much sense.

Nobody145, well Luke early on deflected thud bugs during Onslaught when he fought for Jacen's freedom. So I imagine they had to sense for the physical attributes around te Vong then the Vong themselves. Also I believe like I said in TUF Luke could sense danger find despite the source

As for Rebels, the show is hinted as not only being about the Rebellion. Like I said I wouldn't want Luke to join up. he should only be on Tatooine but I imagine he was thrilled to hear the Rebellion's exploits. Not to mention it would be fun to see Obi-wan keep an eye on the grandchild of the Force

VanishingReality and DarthJenari like this.
  14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Tim Battershell:

Well, it *is* hard when you have to do it a lot of times in each post when a new book comes out. I also can't seem to figure out how to scroll over the black to read the text on my Ipad.

Plus, this still doesn't explain how to do the "spoiler" boxes that I've seen people do.

Darth_Pevra:

=D==D==D= I definitely agree with THAT statement! :)

Nobody145 :
    I think so, yes!

Right! I think if Luke were included, it would definitely need to be a little side story that had nothing at all to do with the Rebellion, unless it involved Obi-wan trying to keep Luke's existence a secret from some Imperial that might have been getting too close to finding out the truth or something.

I agree. I would especially like to see Luke with an apprentice who wasn't a family member.

You're right that we didn't see much teacher/student interaction between Luke and Ben, but I like to think that more of that went on behind the scenes than we actually saw on-page. After all, after being trained by Jacen, Ben probably needed a lot of retraining and probably missed out on a lot of normal Jedi training in the first place. Wasn't that one of Ben's arguments for going along with his father when Luke was sent into exile? That he wanted his father to teach him some things?

I wish we would have gotten more of that "road trip" kind of adventure as Luke and Ben went to visit different Force sects. I wish they would have learned more, and I wish they would have actually USED something that they DID learn later in FotJ. I don't think they ever used anything that they learned.

Speaking of FotJ, the fate of the poor Jedi seemed to be to forever fighting tons of Sith and Abeloth and never being successful. :(

I haven't read this yet, but from what I've heard about it, it doesn't sound like Luke is being written very in-character.

I do too, especially since Legacy Luke didn't seem to be able to accomplish anything despite all of his nagging. He was totally disrespected and ignored by idiot Cade.

DarthJenari :
    I don't think Luke wanted to join the Imperial Navy. He wanted to go to the Academy so he could be a pilot and thus, see the galaxy, but there are many other groups he could have flown for, like commercial or merchant interests.

I can agree with that.

You and I are in agreement about this too!

I've thought that Ben should have his own YJK series for a very long time. He really needs friends/colleagues his own age. This would also develop another generation of new characters which are also needed now that so many in Jaina/Jacen's age group have been killed off.

Definitely!

It seems that you and I feel the same way about this! I too want Luke to train someone who isn't a family member.

I think that after all of the battles Luke has needed to be involved in, he would welcome the opportunity to teach for at least a while. I can see him training "on-the-job", as they traveled throughout the galaxy solving problems and helping people in need.

Jedi Ben:
    That's a great point, JB!

DarthJenari:
    True, the fact that he has done so well with the short amount of formal training he had and with figuring things out on his own, speaks well of Luke and does show how amazing he is! :)

MasterSkywalker86 :

Yes, I agree. Luke wanted excitement and adventure, but he didn't want to be a part of the Empire.

We may see an Obi-wan adventure where we catch a glimpse of Luke on the Lars farm, I guess, but I don't think we'll get a major story involving Luke himself. I hope I'm wrong though.

I hope we will get to see Luke play a meatier role in the new Star Wars comic series too.

15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    ChildOfWinds

[SPOILER="Button text"] Hidden Spoiler text [/SPOILER]

produces:

Hidden Spoiler text

Hope this helps!

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  16. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks, TB! I appreciate it! I've saved the sample for when I need to type a spoiler. However, I still say that I wish that it could be simplified by just pushing a button, as we can do for quotations, etc.

17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Wow! Quiet day in the SOS thread!

Well, I've finally started to read the new Star Wars comic by Brian Wood. I read the first issue and thought it was quite good. I did find it a bit disconcerting to see Leia in an X-wing, but once I got past that, the story itself was compelling. I thought that Luke was fine in this issue, especially as he spoke with Leia about all the losses. I thought the battle and its aftermath were done well. The art was good too. I could easily tell who everyone was, which is always a good thing. ;)

I'm not so sure I'm going to like the rest of this arc though from earlier comments I've heard about it. I'm still hoping things will actually not be as bad with Luke and his girlfriend and Luke not following orders as I've imagined from those comments.

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    see it's not so hard to think up ways in where Luke could have a story or two to himself, not to mention Obi-wan would be keeping an eye over him ;) Plus as a teenager who enjoys racing, flying, and exploring beyond the farmstead, there a few ways to have his own tale.

exactly, imagine if he completed his training proper with Yoda :cool: He would have defeated both Sidious and Vader in an epic Force duel :D

exactly, Biggs also joined the Academy but obviously he sided with the Rebels. I believe Tank though sided with the Imperials.
    \

and a tv show

19. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Was just thinking about this and now i'm curious. We speak about instances where Luke's out of character or not written properly etc. so what do you guys think are some novels/comics that are Essential Luke Skywalker, some that have him in character? Basically what would you recommend to someone as must reads to understand who Luke Skywalker is as a character? (I think the OT is obvious and so doesn't need to be mentioned :p)

Off the top of my head i'd start with:

Shadows of the Empire
    The Truce at Bakura
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

No limit so feel free to name as many novels or comics as you'd like. [:D]

20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86 :
    I suppose.... I just think they would probably be going for something that involves the Rebellion and at that time, Luke is obviously not involved.

Well, he sort of did anyway. Even though Luke didn't want to fight his father on the 2nd Death Star, after Vader threatened Leia, Luke defeated him. He also eventually defeated the Emperor in DE.

Yes, he did. I think Luke was hoping to get him to change his mind, but at least in the story so far, Luke wasn't successful in getting Tank to join the Alliance. It always seemed to me that the story of Luke and Tank wasn't finished, but they never did publish any other comic books to complete that arc.

Yes, I had hoped that the one that turned out to be about the Rebellion would be about Luke. :(

DarthJenari:

I would agree with you about TaB and Mindor. I also liked the way that Luke was written in most of The Thrawn trilogy (except in his dealings with C'Boath). I liked the way that Luke was portrayed as smart and gifted with other talents besides the Force in that trilogy. I liked how powerfully Luke was portrayed in TUF too, and I have also always liked Luke in Courtship of Princess Leia. Except for that whole lecture by Mara and Luke's seeming acceptance of most of it, I thought Luke was handled well in VotF too.

Sadly, after TUF, I can't think of any books in which I thought Luke was written well. :(

I loved the way that Tom Taylor wrote Luke in Luke SKywalker and the Dragonsnake adventure story, and the way that he wrote him in the first Invasion comic.

21. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I just finished Darksaber so I feel like ranting about Luke's characterization. I heard complaints about Callista, but Luke's portrayal was so much worse for me. When Luke wasn't literally trying to convince Callista to use the darkside, he was abandoning his students to go on a vacation.

And then there's this.
    This kind of writing really bothers me. Why does the author have to insist he's not jealous when he sounds very envious of Leia to me? Why qualify it with, "Oh but he's not at all jealous of Leia's wonderful family while all his potential girlfriends die or break up with him in increasingly hilarious ways?" I actually like that aspect of his character. I like the tragic contrast between the twins lives at this point in the EU. It's human to be envious of a sibling that has things going better for them. I also enjoy the irony because Luke would be much more suited to having a family and settling down than Leia.

Of course its still very jarring that early in the relationship that Luke and Callista even were considering a family in the first place, but I'm just addressing Luke's character not Darksaber's plot.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    good topic idea there DJ. I'll add to your Mindor, and SotE, with a couple of mine. TTT goes without saying as it started off the EU well and not only that but it's a great continuation of Luke's story after RotJ, as Luke has progressed as a knight and we get to see him and his future wife interact. It also demonstrates Luke's other attributes beside his Force abilities. DE demonstrates Luke's victory over Palpatine, but this time more of the traditional way a hero beats a bad guy than in OT ;) Another great thing about DE is we get to witness what a Skywalker can truly do. Mindor and Sote are equally essential and damn good books, especially Mindor(best EU book in the last 10 years). I also would include HoT duology and SQ. The HoT books closed off the Bantam era and closes off one part of Luke's life and opens a new part by having him marry Mara and ending the Galactic Civil War. SQ is a fun Luke and Mara story too, with them on their own little adventure.

The rebellion is only starting to form in the series, and TCW did a good job of focusing on minor characters to cameos. All I can say it's possible for Luke to have an episode.

I know but I want Luke to give a proper beatdown to Palpatine and Vader via the Force :p

anything dealing with Callista or KJA is incredibly jarring :p Also if you ever read the first book that introduces Callista you can see how Luke inconsistently falls head over heels for this girl.....even though she's a ghost :eek: Just doesn't work is all Im saying.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Maybe it is a unreliable narrator. But I remember nothing about the novel besides it being weird so maybe I am wrong.

24. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    ChildOfWinds I agree with you on all counts. The Thrawn Trilogy was an excellent characterization of Luke, along with Courtship of Princess Leia, obviously The Unifying Force (Though it came after many novels of somewhat lackluster characterization), and I haven't read the Hand Doulogy in years, but I still remember to this day that I didn't like Mara's lecture to Luke. Didn't like the way it was delivered or the way Luke received it.

MasterSkywalker86 Agree that DE definitely has some excellent Luke moments. SQ i've only read once, and i'd checked it out from the library so I only got to skim the book before I had to return it. Can't remember much of it, but as a sequel to HoT I probably need to pick it up at some point.

I'm gonna go ahead and throw both The Young Jedi Knights Series as well as The New Rebellion into the mix. The first I thought captured Luke in that perfect teacher role that we never got to see because he was always needed to take care of some superweapon previously. Its just him and his students and he really manages to capture that wise mentor role that Ben and Yoda had shown in the OT. In Jedi Academy Trilogy it kinda comes off as him just trying to be like them, quoting them and such, sort of acting. YJK setyears later now has him looking more comfortable and centered in it. Like he's been through a lot, learned a lot, and is now truly ready to pass all of that on. NOTE: Of course by this point he's also had some students leave and/or die so he learned from their mistakes as well as his own, making for a more well rounded Teacher Luke.

The New Rebellion I like probably because of the Luke/Brakkiss interaction. You can tell that Luke feels bad about the way things went down between him, and also feels somewhat responsible as a teacher. But he doesn't just say "Screw you, you're a Darksider and are evil now". He still tries to redeem him and reach out for the good in him, and its just always nice to see that Redemption aspect from the OT. And its important because it carries over years later to YJK where Luke still again attempts to redeem Brakkiss. I think its important to have someone like Luke, who redeemed Darth Vader-one of the greatest murderers in galactic history, always believing that a person can rise up and overcome their inner darkness. At the end of TNR, Luke hasn't redeemed Brakkiss, but it's shown he hasn't given up hope and is willing to be there if Brakkiss does ever make the decision to come back to the Light. Does he in the end? No, but that doesn't undermine the importance of Luke's belief in any way.

kataja likes this.
  25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I am still confused how to insert the code properly. can someone "pm" me with a basic step by step method for us dummies??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.