main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    More like everybody involved in his training being an idiot. Anakin has the excuse of being desperate, what do others have?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK DM, all things considered it's probably easiest at this point, we clearly don't agree nor are we going to, on this particular topic.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Desperate over what? Nightmares?

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    true, but it makes Luke look like he's catching up. Vader was defeated twice before Luke join the rebels. Why is he necessary then ?

5. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    So? Last time he had those kind of nightmares his mother was being tortured to death. So of course he´s going to believe this is the same again. As PT Jedi don´t know how strong emotions affect visions they can´t tell him he´s projecting his fear into them (let´s not go into Yoda advice... I have to make the Ripley facepalm meme for such moments...). Palpatine isn´t going to tell him for obvious reasons. So in the end he cracked.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    MasterSkywalker86

Darth Sidious isn't defeated. Plus as I just quoted Stover -- Luke's defeat of Vader isn't necessary at all, because Anakin needs to destroy Sidious. Luke wins by not fighting.

7. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    Besides the obvious writer shilling his/her own characters at the detriment of the canon ones, the Chosen One´s enemy is the Emperor, not Vader. AFAIK, Stukiller couldn´t defeat him.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Vader is the Chosen One.

9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

That doesn't serve as an excuse for his actions, and it certainly doesn't make everyone else involved an idiot.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Defeating Vader isn't the problem, especially with the Prequels establishing that he's a hero of the SAGA versus a villain. We also have Obi-Wan Kenobi's ghost possessing Luke to defeat Vader in the second book. If Yoda and Obi-Wan got together, they could certainly KILL Vader. Killing Vader doesn't actually noticeably improve the galaxy, though.

That was Obi-Wan and Yoda's myopia.

In a way, Starkiller illustrates Obi Wan and Yoda's mistake. Starkiller killing Vader (which he can do in the first game) just results in the Emperor finding a replacement and continuing on his merry way. Yoda and Obi Wan are blinded by their failure with Anakin they insist the problem is with Vader versus the Emperor. In a way, Starkiller following the path Obi Wan and Yoda set out for Luke results in nothing good for anyone.

In the end, Starkiller has his own destiny to play but we won't know what that is until TFU3. Or, really, whatever sequel they do.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My how optimistic, you thin there'll be a TFU3 Charles? The track record for SW following up hanging vid game plot threads really isn't a good one!

12. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    For the nth time, balance of the Force is not eliminating all Jedi and Sith, it´s no darkiders corrupting the Force. Anakin´s fate was being trained by QGJ (funny how he was found by the only Jedi with an open mind in that generation), when Maul killed him he got normal Jedi training and
    - His emotions became a time bomb because of the Jedi detachment BS
    - His power wasn´t developed so by the time Palpatine made his move Anakin had no chance in hell of defeating him.
    So no, Anakin wasn´t fated from the beginning to become Vader.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

that doesn't make the pill any easier to swallowed

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Very little. However, a novel is possible.

Certain is, worst case scenario, there's a blog entry saying Vader escaped the Rebellion's custody followed by Starkiller and Kota being sent off into the Unknown Regions or other fix.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Do people dislike the idea that the dark side is necessary, or the reason why Luke thinks that it's necessary?

16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Considering how many we've had lately, and assuming they don't just erase everything with a reboot, I expect them to cover TFU3 in a Vader comic.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it was unearned in the storyline. Also, it's almost immediately contradicted by Han saying that Luke and Leia are important because of their continued fight against the Dark Side.

Yeah, which is disappointing but better than completely abandoning it. Of course, I'd PREFER Bioware to create the Force Unleashed 3.

Maybe as an RPG.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The premise of the game lends itself to the action genre more than RPG. I have a feeling they've got that storyline in the same sort of holding pattern SOTJ is in, until they figure out if EA is going to make a third one.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I know, I'm just creating a Frankenstein's Monster of my desire for a single player KOTOR-esque game and my love of TFU.

;-)

Re: Anakin Skywalker

I tend to think George Lucas has very particular ideas about free-will and destiny which he inserted into the Star Wars mythology. These are very contradictory to traditional mythology, though, which can seem dissonant. Anakin Skywalker is a Chosen One figure who is, literally, a divine birth. However, unlike Jesus, he seems more like Islam's interpretation of Jesus in that he is a creation of God (the virgin birth happening but not that Jesus WAS God).

George Lucas maintains that we have free will even in the face of incredible mystical forces. That mundane evil is what leads to/feeds supernatural evil. Thus, it is possible for Anakin Skywalker to reject his destiny as the Savior of the Galaxy. This results in the Force (and those who trust in it) simply moving on to Savior B#.

The issue is muddled by Anakin fulfilling his destiny at the last minute. However, I think what George Lucas was trying to say was that destiny exists but we have a free will to follow "The Will of the Force's plan" for us and defying it leads to suffering. Also, said plan is flexible and can change.

Which is a bit esoterric for a Saturday Morning matinee.

Re: The Dark Side

In my mind, I think the Dark Side as something that is necessary to the galaxy but evil people are drawn to its power is fine. I always preferred the idea the Dark Side was more or less "necromancy" and "black magic" versus a blanket word for evil. It's also why I love the Bright Sith arc because I enjoy the idea the Sith and Dark Side aren't synonymous.

20. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    Both. The latter comes along with the former.

Although as you´ve noted we don´t have the same view of the DS, the idea that good needs evil in opposition makes me cringe since back when I read Dragonlace Chronicles (so elves go fascist for being too good? Come ON). It can be done well (Night Watch series), but SW isn´t a setting where that would work.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

regardless it doesn't make Luke's accomplishments that more grander if his own dragon was defeated by proto-Luke.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the issue isn't "good needs evil" so much as "is the Dark Side synonymous with evil or entropy?"

Crucible has Luke change his view from the Dark Side as Evil to Dark Side as Death.

So what is the "limit" (so to speak) that heroes are allowed to be during the Empire period?

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    [Double Post]

24. Solent

Aug 4, 2001
    Can they be called sith if they don´t use the DS? I don´t like the idea anyway, EU has really cheapened Anakin overcoming the DS. Movie wise, it was clear it was thought to be impossible. Even Force Ghost Obi Wan didn´t think it could happen. Hence the reason Luke is the superior Jedi. But EU-wise, just saying the dsider to have a good thought usually does the trick. In KOTOR 1 you could redeem too many DS, including a freaking sith ghost! Was a relief when Malak didn´t bite. Marvel and DC have death as a revolving door, SW has the DS.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, it is called the dark side of the Force. It's an integral part of the Force.

"The idea of positive and negative, that there are two sides to an entity, a push and a pull, a yin and a yang, and the struggle between the two sides are issues of nature that I wanted to include in the film." - Lucas in The Annotated Screenplays

"The Force has two sides. It is not a malevolent or a benevolent thing. It has a bad side to it, involving hate and fear, and it has a good side, involving love, charity, fairness and hope."

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in 'Star Wars.'"
    Luke changed his view from "the Dark Side is Evil" in The Unifying Force, so I suppose Denning must have changed it back. I think the problem is "dark side" means a lot of different things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.