main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Jedi Ben, use the Force.....friendo. :p

DarthJenari, actually Return was the first "original" title thought by GL until Howard Kazanjian mention it sounded too light. hence the change to Revenge and then finally GL said jedi don't do that. Generally most of the drafts and outlines post Empire are very similar with Vader being the one who kills Sidious and then dies. Ironically there was a faux draft which has Luke kill the Emperor similarly to how his father does it in the film to throw people off if the script was leaked.

although the pg 95 quote I listed where Obi-wan states Anakin = Luke in Force strength is the second draft of the screenplay story by GL and written by Kasdan. Im curious if that's part of the novelization as well....

Luke blocking the emperors lighting barrage was included early on in the drafts although it differs greatly compare to the novelization. Instead of Luke using Force absorb on his own, he conjures the energy shield with Obi-wan and Yoda's help. Force ghosts in the early drafts could interfere with Sidious's visions and help out Luke. I'm glad they didn't use that, as it makes Luke still dependent on his teachers.

The Force netherworld idea is weird too, as Jedi who died could come back in the flesh. Sidious was preventing this.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It isn't, as far as I can tell. ( I don't have my own copy anymore so I'm using Amazon's search function. )

3. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I guess the line was shortened in the final draft

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    can't use revenge of the jedi. tat would have been sacriligious

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Jade will be Luke's deceased wife in Ep. 7 (deceased just cuz orphaned and single-parent kids are a thing in the series) just because it can be one of those sideways retcons wherein certain post ROTJ EU elements can be used, other bits tossed. (Mara Jade as Luke Skwalkers wife who died? Yup! Killed by Sith Lord nephew? eh, not really.)

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    DigitalMessiah :
    Exactly! I agree!

instantdeath:
    I guess, I disagree, ID. At this particular point, it's likely that Kam had even more years of experience with a lightsaber than Luke did. As you said, he was even the lightsaber instructor, so I would think that would make him very good at lightsaber skirmishes. Again, I'd say it was a lame excuse.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Good points, MS.

And that was many years after I, Jedi. Luke had been a Jedi Master for quite a while at this point. His danger sense should have been very good, as well as his reaction times.

It never should have happened. I don't think any new apprentice should be written as beating Luke Skywalker, no matter how distracted he may have been. Danger sense should have kicked in pretty automatically. Besides, if Luke is "focused" enough to give a "feral grin" or a "victorious laugh", he should have been focused enough to do well against Corran.

It's not Bantam that complains that Luke is too powerful, it's Del Rey. Ridiculous though, isn't it??? I don't think that Luke was portrayed as powerful enough, and I don't think that he used the Force enough in most of the Bantam books.

DarthJenari:
    Then how do you explain that LUKE was the one that ended up on the floor twice and got the bloody lip? Do I think that Corran was a superior swordsman??? Of course not! But that's why I don't think we should have gotten a duel in which Luke obviously came out on the losing end. Why did this scene need to be written this way? In my opinion, all it did was show disrespect to Luke's character while elevating Corran. I really don't like it when authors do this. I have nothing against authors making their characters shine, but not at the expense of Luke or other characters. This scene was unnecessary. Luke and Corran could have had the discussion that followed without Luke getting denigrated first.

Which as I said, proves Mara completely wrong in VotF. Luke did NOT overuse or abuse the Force. He wasn't too powerful or using the Force too much. He wasn't using even using using the Force to his fullest Force potential!

It definitely *did* come off that way. Whether it was intentional or not, that's certainly the way it looked, and I didn't like it at all, especially given that Corran was supposed to be Luke's almost- new apprentice!!!

kataja:
    I agree that the "fix" made things worse. Poor Luke ended up suffering from it, both in the duel with Corran and Corran's lecture, as well as in Mara's lecture in VotF. Suddenly, everything is Luke's fault: he's been using the Force too much and too powerfully; everything he has been doing for ten years is tainted by the dark side; he does everything himself.

Sorry! The Bantam books don't back any of that up!

Instantdeath:
    That quote is at least showing respect for Luke's character.

Okay! This I *do* agree with! I also agree that Luke does believe that everyone has the capacity for good and *is* worth saving or being given a second chance.

Yes, I agree with this too.

Looking forward to your comments!

MasterSkywalker86:
    Well, if the latest rumor about the reason for JJ Abrams and Kasdan taking over scripting duties from Ardnt, you and I may actually end up being pretty pleased with Episode VII..... I truly *hope* so!

You're right about the hype, and, yes, I did hear that Han is going to be in multiple films. I would hope that this means we'll be seeing Luke in multiple films too. I just hope Luke doesn't die in the first film and then we only get to see him as a Force ghost. :( I wouldn't like that at all! :mad:

Revanfan1:
    I agree with everything you said above, R! I also agree that good guys *can* wear black!

MasterSkywalker86:
    Yes, I'm with you too, MS! ;)

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I don't thiink Luke, Han, or Leia will have kids yet, in the ST, at least not from what we've been hearing from Hasbro

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like that the toy company is better connected on the ST than Del Rey or Dark Horse.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Because Luke was holding back, distracted, and then dealing with someone who was just as likely to seriously harm himself as he was Luke. To each his own though. Not really going to argue with anyone about it, as everyone's made their thoughts on it clear. As I said, I at no point thought Luke was portrayed as being inferior to Corran, and the later events of the novel drive that belief home.

As to why it had to be written as it was, I don't think it had to be written any particular way.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The only Jedi student that could possibly hold his own against Luke in the first class is Kyle Katarn, obvi.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not only that but the lead time on toy production must be immense considering they haven't even shot a frame of film yet, hot damn!

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    They're ahead of the costuming department.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm assuming the molds for the Ep. 7 character toys are forged in pure unbreakable steel, I'm picturing how Sauron made the One Ring with a guy banging on a mold in a pit of fire.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  14. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Oh it goes far beyond that my friend. I heard each toy with have a hair from Kyle Katarn's beard molded into it. ;)

BigAl6ft6 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I had been meaning to post about this for a long time. Then again, maybe I did but just forgot.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think Hasbro is actually in control of the costuming, since they're just going to CG the costumes onto Mark, Carrie, and Harrison. Cut out the middleman that is the costuming department entirely.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i still can't believe they made him go dark side in Dark Empire.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While virtually every book to mention Dark Empire tends to phrase it as "Luke fell" - recently there's been a move toward "Luke nearly fell"- I think with Leland Chee referencing it that way.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    exactly, and what the kriff is the deal with the OOC feral grin or victorious laugh ?

but as many times Bantam allows Luke to demonstrate his abilities they injure him just as much, perhaps more. I see the issue with both publishers than just one in particular.

Exactly, this is a typical pre production practice where one writer sets up the screen play and other writers revise it to "polish" it up. As I said before RotJ had GL and Kasdan rewriting each others drafts. And who better than to have the guy who wrote Empire & Jedi, alongside the director ? As I mention I found out it was Kurtz who wanted the very grey ending with Luke becoming a wanderer, which I confused for Kasdan...whoops :p With GL consulting a bit and those two reining in his ideas, I'll think it will be fine.

not to mention they would lose a considerable amount of box office without the original characters/cast.

Lucas and Kasdan back it up, as well as the films :p

Iron_lord, I would lay the blame with Bantam and Del-Rey being inconsistent on what truly happen in the comic in the continuing texts. As a couple of writers seem to look at the spark notes version instead of the actual events. It's never a good idea for an EU work to contradict something established in the films

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In what way does "Luke fell in Dark Empire" contradict something established in the films?

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ESB-he falls to presumably to what he considers his death than join his father and the DS
    RotJ-"I'll never join the dark side, you have failed your highness."

You have two instances of where he chooses death than evil he has already pass that test, having Luke choose the DS in any instance it's like the same as having Yoda tempted again

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure- but he's had 6 years to become more pragmatic since then. Even then, it's "infiltrate and destroy from within" rather than a true defection- the problem being - the dark side has a bad effect on the mind- and it takes Leia's help to shake him out of it. Twice.

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    And sadly that bit of analysis/depth is overlooked by the other EU works. I already Know Luke was being subtly brainwash by Sidious(dark side nexus) as mention in the audio drama, but others make it sound he willingly chose the DS instead of infiltrate it and destroy it from within.

Oh well, it doesn't look to be canon anymore.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i think Luke dying in the first film would be preferable to him being dumbed down, and made to look feeble and weak for multiple movies

25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, that's the way that Leland Chee referenced it, and it's been quite a while since he did. It was in the Omibus, Luke Skywalker, Last Hope for the Galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.