main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, MS, Mark is 62. :)

And 62 still isn't that old regardless. If a man can play a part and chooses to let him. I'm with MS, I'd guess Luke will be in his 50s and that'd be fantastic to me.

I like your last bit and agree, MS. =D=

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No? A Sidious able to gain immortality, with the resources of a galaxy at his command, would certainly seek to take over others.

Plus, not knowing when to stop is very much in character for Sidious. He could have just killed Luke so fast Vader never would have turned, instead he decided to have fun and that killed him.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Please even if he got to immorality the Universe would die before he ever got anywhere close to conquering it. Unless he finds a way to move way faster then they do in Star Wars Universe. I have no doubt he would try, I just dont think he has any chance of success.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really? With a few billion years and faster-than-light tech - he could grab a good chunk!

Besides I wasn't arguing he'd succeed, as the universe is supposedly infinite, but he certainly possessed the ambition to try it anyway.

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Its a galaxy where magic is present anything is possible, my issue is exactly what does the imbalance mean for the galaxy or the universe for that matter ?

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd kind of like to see Palpatine try and conquer the whole universe.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My take would be a corruption of agency.

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Due to the DS taking power ?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it'd be a quite subtle thing but accumulating over time.

An example of this is how Sidious used the Clone Wars to shift the galactic populace into willingly adopting a harsher and more militaristic mindset as part of his preparations to declare the Empire. Now keep that going, with trillions engaging in low-level acts of pettiness and spite because they're told its normal and then keep that going....What you have is steady and continual moral degradation and disintegration being done by people who think it's entirely voluntary but their selection criteria is skewed by the dark side pull.

10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I hope we get to see that in Rebels. Sure you see a bit of corruption or how the military does what they see fit but I don't think from the OT we get to see how Sidious is leeching off the general populace with his DS abilities. I want to see the mystical reasons of what he's doing to the galaxy is wrong. The closest we got was Sidious's declaration of the Galactic Empire and he subtly has most of the senate accept it with no objections, I interpret that as his DS influence.

There has to be a significance for Luke to stop this threat

Iron_lord and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    My theory is that its not Palpatine that is the threat to the universe, but the death star. Maybe if it hadn't been destroyed superweapon industry would have had rapid major advancements. (Sun crusher, etc.)

12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Considering Lando and Wedge destroyed the second one, it wouldn't seem Luke is required to fit your theory.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

oh i know. my concern was not Luke's age, it is hamils age if playing a younger luke,. If he is playing an older luke that is fine.

I would like to see Luke have more than a few jedi at 50 something

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Glad to hear it but some people really do look older than they are and it's not wrong. The gentleman in my avatar nearly always did but I like that (if not the likely cause). I honestly don't understand why so many seem hung up on age. I think age is cool. :)

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you're overlooking the spiritual and moral dimensions here.

For instance, why does anyone convince themselves that designing a Death Star or Star Crusher is a good idea? Unless there's a subtle skewing of their options across the board....

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Clint Eastwood did a number of good films around his elder years

18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

I think that would undermine the prevailing idea that was given to us near the start of A New Hope, an idea that I really think has withstood the test of time

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force"

I think the idea that Palpatine himself is just a galactic, if not universal threat that needed to be dealt with to restore even a small shred of peace and balance fits better. In my mind i've always imagined him as a cosmic vampire hovering in the shadows, poised to suck the very lifeblood from a defenseless galaxy. Until Luke came along.

19. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    In regards to the Death Star and its ilk and how much of a threat they may or may not have been, I submit this hilarious and awesome Han Solo quote:

"What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong–killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up."

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i do see your point, however Luke always looked boyish, and to me that should not have changed that much considering the force slows aging.

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Emperor's Nostril for Episode 7

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a funny scene sure, but it's also one with the luxury of 25+ years of space from when the Death Stars actually did exist - and then, they weren't a laughing matter!

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @JediMatteus: I can understand that but likewise Mark's look was completely shifted due to his accident so Luke isn't near as boyish in appearance even in RotJ as he was in ANH and given it has been over twenty years...plus aging is an element that we have to accept in story presentation even if we want to ignore it in story writing/telling.

I find it curious you say the Force slows aging. I wonder why so many act like Dooku is weak then? People are odd. Anyway. I am curious to see what Mark does with an older Luke. I still hope it'll be a fresh start of a sort for Luke. :)

24. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:
    I agree, but I'm getting more and more worried that we may not see a son or daughter of Luke in the sequel trilogy. :( The most recent rumors (from Variety) about possible actors seem to hint that the main character won't be an offspring of Luke's. :mad: or of Han and Leia :mad:I wouldn't like that at all. I don't mind having the origin films or other films be about a variety of characters unrelated to Luke, Leia, and Han, but I really want the Sequel trilogy to continue the Skywalker Saga, and in order to do that, as far as I'm concerned, there needs to be a child or children of Luke's to follow. And if Luke doesn't have kids, then I really think we need to at least have a Solo kid as the main character.

I can agree with that, MS. However, I definitely want one of those Jedi to be a kid of Luke's...

Yes, I think so too.

Jedi Ben, I think you're right that it makes sense that Luke might have been cautious in picking the people that he trained to be Jedi, especially given that he knows what happened to his father. I would certainly prefer "quality" Jedi rather than a huge "quantity" of them. I don't really want to see any of Luke's Jedi going dark. We've already seen that story. I'd like to see Luke be successful in training new Jedi.

Force Smuggler:
    I want to care about Luke's New Jedi Order too! Like you, I wasn't very enamored with the OJO. I just wasn't very impressed by them. In fact, after viewing the Original trilogy, my expectations for the Jedi were vastly different from what we got in the PT. I must say that I found them pretty disappointing. I don't want to be disappointed about Luke's Jedi Order.

DarthJenari:
    I wouldn't mind seeing some of this. I really hope that we can eventually see films or a TV show about Luke's Jedi Order, and see Jedi doing things that Jedi would do during a time of relative peace, helping people in a variety of ways.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Its hard to say Child cause it's possible all 5 are for the lead role or it might be for two roles. It's possible one could play Luke's son and the other plays Lando's son. Or it could be for the same role. I do think Luke will have a kid if you take a look at some of the roster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.