main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    BigAl6ft6:
    I agree with this. I want to see that Luke has made some progress in restoring the Jedi Order, but I don't expect to see a large, flourishing Order. I do want to see Luke train a group of Jedi at a time, as he did in the Jedi Academy trilogy. I don't think it would make sense for Luke to train as they did in the PT, with Jedi pretty much trained one-on-one for many, many years after an early childhood at the Jedi Temple. Since Luke is the sole Jedi after RotJ, he needs to teach a group of Jedi at one time, and their training time needs to be shorter. If Luke were to train one person at a time for 20 years, he would likely only train a maximum of three or four students in his lifetime. It would take a LONG time to establish a useful Jedi Order that way.

About how many Jedi do you expect to be trained already at the start of Episode VII?

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  3. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Skaddix:
    Yes, I'm not expecting a huge Jedi Order 30 years after RotJ. However, I *do* want to see that Luke *has* trained some Jedi knights.

Well, strictly speaking, we haven't really SEEN faces of characters in the novels except for the covers. ;)

It's possible, I suppose that we'll see some characters from the EU in the ST, but I'm pretty sure that the person who made that comment was referring to familiar characters from the original trilogy.

DarthJenari
    Hmmm... Since that will take place during the planned filming time, either Mark Hamill won't be needed at that time; his role will be small; or he won't be in Episode VII at all. I'm hoping for the first option.

Jedi Ben:
    Well, with the title, I guess this is yet another one that takes place about the same time as the Star Wood comics, right? From the title, it almost sounds like a single story in which all of the characters could participate. I guess not though if it's a set of stories and only one of the above characters is involved in each... OR, at least only one of the characters has a major role in each...

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    COW,

You didn't see the info on Rebel Heist? Each issue features one of the mains but seen through the eyes of a new character to whom they are these legendary individuals.

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i thought that it was all decided that Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher at least were on board.

6. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben :
    Ah! Thanks, JB! Yes, I do think I heard someone mention that there would be a comic series where the characters were seen through the eyes of other characters. I just didn't know it was this one.

Is it really a series, or just a few separate, contained stories featuring one of the main characters?

JediMatteus:
    I think it has been all but confirmed that the Big Three will be in the Sequel Trilogy. I think that the fact that we've heard that the first film takes place about 30 years after RotJ seems to cement their participation. Why would the filmmakers recast their roles when the original actors can fill them? Have you heard something new about this?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a 4-issue miniseries! :D Wouldn't be at all surprised if the stories subtly link together though.

8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks for the information, JB!

Also, I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed the interviews of some SOS posters like Jedi Ben, RevanFan1, MasterSkywalker, and Digital Messiah in the interview thread. It's nice to have the opportunity to get to know all of you a little better!

Revanfan1 and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    JediMatteus:
    I think it has been all but confirmed that the Big Three will be in the Sequel Trilogy. I think that the fact that we've heard that the first film takes place about 30 years after RotJ seems to cement their participation. Why would the filmmakers recast their roles when the original actors can fill them? Have you heard something new about this?[/quote]

oh i thought i had heard that there was not an official confirmation on that. i need to keep track where i hear things:confused:

10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, there still hasn't been an official confirmation, but I think everyone is expecting the announcement to be made fairly soon. I think it would be quite a shock now if they said that the original actors weren't reprising their roles.

11. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    "The familiar faces" quote pretty much cements it in my mind, as well as it being only 30 years away from Jedi

JediMatteus and ChildOfWinds like this.
  12. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree, MS!

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I saw this on the SWTOR forums and it almost made me cry because this guy totally missed the point of the movie. I wanted to rip into him really bad but I didn't have the words so I merely told him why he was wrong, but you guys should enjoy destroying this abomination of a post... [face_mischief]

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Is that you Darth Maul ? :p

I guess I could go with the standard "does the ends justified the means". If Luke fell to the DS and replaced his father we would have a greater threat than Sidious.

ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Exactly. I made the point that Luke didn't care if he died or not at that point. Palpatine was toast anyways; Luke had total faith that the Rebels would blow up the Death Star. All Luke had to do was keep Palpatine there. And Palpatine's hubris would've done that anyways. So Luke's job was done, he'd confronted his father and become a Jedi. He was willing to lay down his life rather than become a servant of the dark side. Throwing away the lightsaber was his way of showing that he wouldn't even let the temptation register to him anymore. The dark side meant nothing.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Yup, and he already felt his father's inner conflict. So he wager a bit of a safe gamble when he showed mercy to dear old daddy. Luke taking over dad's place and then killing the Emperor leaves a new tyrant on our hands and a worst one at that.

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, he did, but here I think ROTJ has subtleties to it that are unnoticed. At the Battle of Endor we have 3 simultaneous arenas of activity:

Luke versus Vader, with Sidious goading the pair to ever greater violence, which Luke refuses.
    The fleet engagement, with added extra Death Star
    The ground battle on Endor

Initially it all goes the way Sidious wants: Ewoks are cut to shreds, the DS starts annihilating the fleet and father duels son. Then, it changes: Lando takes the fleet into close combat with the Star Destroyers, nullifying the DS advantage. The Ewoks are reinforced and the duel ceases for a short time.

Then you have a short but devastating sequence of events: The Ewoks win on the ground and Solo cons the Imperials into opening the doors, Vader threatens Leia and Luke hits the nuke button, utterly defeating Vader. The shield on Endor goes boom and the rebels can hit the DS, while Luke is getting extra crispy fried by one highly pissed off psychopath, who then gets offed by Vader.

Now, if you go with the idea, present in the novelisation and TTT, that the Emperor was driving the Imperial Forces as well, all manner of ideas present themselves. For instance, did Sidious pay too much attention to the duel in front of him, did he put so much attention on Luke that he forgot the other theatres? Which in turn permitted the ground battle to go from out-right slaughter to improbably victory? Likely. He's certainly very much interested in torturing the hell out of Luke, takes his time too - which also kills him. Had he done Luke quick, he'd still have had Dog Vader at his side.

But had he decided to spin it out longer, had Vader taken longer, would Lando and Wedge have made it to the DS core at all or would the unnaturally-boosted skills of the pursuing TIEs killed them? A boost that was denied them first by Luke getting and keeping Sidious' full attention and second by his death.

I'd agree Sidious' hubris, his absolute belief that his plan was perfect, plays a major role but I think there's more to it than that.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    "Soon I'll be dead. And you with me."

Luke's intent was to save Anakin, though. That's why he confronted him, and tried to get Vader not to take him to the Emperor at all. "Come with me."

20. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

this guy is an idiot. Luke did it to stay true to what a jedi is. not letting emotions rule you:confused:

he knew it was better to die than to lose himself. he also was banking on his Father breaking through the dark side i think

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Does it matter at this point Luke is stalling for time so that Lando can blast the core. This aint the EU so reactor core going boom means dead Emperor.

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think Palpatine was going to stop Lando.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    He doesn't need to, he has dark-side enhanced TIE pilots to do it for him!

24. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    The thing is with some of the mechanic's we've seen in later content they aren't entirely wrong. Unless you hold the Movies higher than everything else and watch them regularly your view of Star Wars will change and you will likely not hold them in high esteem.

Killing someone in cold blood doesn't send you over to the Dark Side unless you have already been swimming in it or massively effected by something else. Look at what Luke did to Lumiya and what Vader did to Count Dooku. Both of those characters had little to no means of self defense and neither went Dark Side in the next minute for killing them. Vader still has a hand and incredibly high raw force potential and decades of experience a minute later we saw what Vader could manage even while incapacitated.

With the introduction of Vader and Luke's high midi count much of the love triumphs over all gets much weaker. If a skinny guy lifts a massive object off someone it's likely due to adrenaline/emotion ect. If a weightlifting champion does it's probably due to their training. Sure, risking it and being willing to take lightning to death came from love but,the ability was all in the midi's/experience.

Luke's gesture of throwing the lightsaber away also becomes less impressive over time. First, it's an incredible defensive weapon that if he had it he could possibly have blocked the lightning. Second, unless one is afraid one will use a weapon one doesn't need to get it away from themselves a Jedi shouldn't feel they need to get a weapon away from themselves to avoid killing.

Sure, this is missing the meaning but, the mechanics no longer match the meaning to any real depth.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    How would Luke killing his father in a fit of rage not send him over to the DS ?:confused:

Revanfan1 likes this.
  26. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    No, but he would have had plenty of time to get to a shuttle and escape the Death Star's destruction. If an injured Luke can drag Vader to a shuttle, Palpatine could easily escape in time.

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.